A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Reputable Accounts/Hospitals - Sarah

Posted: Mar 01, 2014

We just lost one of the most respected hospitals in the country to EPIC.  I have a phobia about working on disreputable accounts -- the kind that hire non-English-speaking physicians who prey on old, senile, demented individuals and do consult after consult after consult.  The physicians speak little to no English and in my opinion it is all an insurance scam that the disreputable hospitals happily participate in.  Now I have no choice but to be a hippocrit and work on these types of accounts.  Does anyone else feel this way?

P.S.  I know I have a "choice," but I just want to do my time and retire in a few years.

No - never heard of such a thing

[ In Reply To ..]
In the first place, prepare to be blasted for your bigoted statement regarding ESL doctors. In the second place, what proof do you have that these facilities are "preying" on senior citizens? These are some serious charges, ma'am.

How can you be bigoted against a hospital? - Totally Disagree

[ In Reply To ..]
The writer didn't seem to have a problem with ESL dictators, but more so a problem with certain hospitals. Let's face it, there are equally lousy dictators ESL or non-ESL (fast talkers, slow talkers, yawners, eaters, etc.). What used to be so great about a transcription company like MModal was if you found yourself typing for a hospital that didn't have the best standards and practices you had the opportunity to transfer. Now things have changed and the MT is merely a burden to this transcription company and there are no more opportunities for the MT. That's my take on "Reputable Accounts/Hospitals."

well if she feels that strongly about it - she should resign

[ In Reply To ..]
but the truth is she's actually working for MModal. That kind of says it all don't you think?

holy cow racist much? - WOW

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't even believe you thought that was appropriate to post.

Please explain - Carol

[ In Reply To ..]
where race is mentioned in the OPs post. Please look up what racist means. That word is all too frequently thrown into situations where it does not belong. This is such a case.

well basically - the part about

[ In Reply To ..]
the non English speaking physicians preying on the poor old people. If that isn't racist I don't know what is.
You Have Been Lucky - Jack
[ In Reply To ..]
...and never typed for hospitals like that. There are certain hospitals that specifically cater to the old and infirm. These are not well known, respected hospitals. They hire physicians that actually speak little to no English. These physicians have no way of communicating with the patients because most of them have dementia. Nevertheless, many, many tests and consultations are ordered and the insurance companies get rich and the patients die. Its an awful position to be put in as an MT. One person was correct above who said the MT should quit if they feel that bad about typing for hospitals like that. I still don't see how the words "non English speaking" are racist though. I guess some of us will have to agree to disagree.
Sarah, Carol and Jack - Hmm okay
[ In Reply To ..]
Apparently I'm outnumbered here.
How in heaven's name is the insurance company - getting rich?
[ In Reply To ..]
Aren't they paying for all these tests and consultations? At my job, we can't get insurance companies to approve half of what is actually NECESSARY! I am confused for sure.
i think the OP is the one that is confused. clearly she doesnt - know how insurance companies work
[ In Reply To ..]
they get rich by NOT paying. Maybe she means the hospitals are getting rich.
So.... - Carol
[ In Reply To ..]
What race would "non English speaking physicians" be, then? I have Hispanic doctors, Chinese doctors, Indian doctors, African doctors, Russian doctors, a Serbian doctor, at least one German doctor, I even have an Australian doctor that, while being a native English speaker, is harder to understand than any of them.

Does the phrase "non English speaking physicians" only apply to one race? If so, which one is it?
you know exactly what I - meant
[ In Reply To ..]
The OP (and you're not fooling anyone by changing your handle; it's obvious you are replying to your own posts) says these facilities hire ESL docs because they're so good at preying on the elderly. Direct quote: "non-English-speaking physicians who prey on old, senile, demented individuals." The OP couldn't have just said they were unscrupulous doctors; no, they have to be FOREIGN unscrupulous doctors that no one can understand. In fact, the OP says it's not the facilities but the docs themselves running the scam and, another quote here, the "disreputable hospitals happily participate in" it.

Imagine I'm an ESL doctor reading that. And the poor OP now has "no choice" but to be a hypocrite.

CYA - Deedeedee

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not just ESL docs doing test after test, it's all of them. Here's a funny (sorta).

If they went to EPIC, what do you still do for - them?

[ In Reply To ..]
I, too, question the quality of care that people are getting from ESL doctors. With my 30+ years of medical terminology knowledge, sometimes I cannot understand them so I know that the patients are not getting it.

AMA physicians - no name

[ In Reply To ..]
I use the AMA physician finder site frequently and when you pull up the AMA accredited physicians you get a couple, and when you click to show the non-AMA-accredited physicians you will get tons. Is it not a good thing to be a member of AMA any longer? Just wondering.

Similar Messages:

Why Don't MTSOs And Hospitals Get Together And Have BOS Specifics For All Accounts?
Nov 07, 2009

Have been pondering this a lot lately.  Why would the hospitals and MTSOs not want to all have the same specifics so MTs could concentrate on providing an accurate report based on BOS that would then allow all healthcare providers to recognize a standard for their records?  I am so tired of switching to a new account or my backup account and having to change gears to comply with different specifics.  I have one account now that we are told to literally "might as well thr ...

Reputable Schools
Dec 01, 2011

Anyone out there know of any reputable schools to learning transcription/editing? ...

Reputable Companies?
Jan 10, 2012

I have applied to medtrans and MedGarde...both who have shown some interest. I am fairly new transcriptionist, looking for work as an IC....anyone know anything about either of these companies? I have ready so many posts about people being treated badly by different companies and I don't want to be one of them who learns to hate a field I really enjoy working in. Thanks! ...

Is Ashworth College Reputable?
Jan 07, 2010

I recently signed up for Medical Billing and Medical Terminology classes through Ashworth College.  I would like to know if anyone out there is familar with Ashworth College, I've been told that there's a lot of schools out there that just want your money and I want to make sure if I'm making the right decision for me and my family. Thanks in advance for your help! ...

Are There Any (reputable) Companies That Pay Weekly?
May 09, 2011

The only one I have found is Medgarde, and I don't hear much I like about them.  Thanks for any responses. ...

How Do You Know What Companies Are Reputable Anymore
Aug 14, 2012

MT Training - Reputable Schools
Sep 19, 2013

Hello,  Can someone reccomend a good MT course. It is for my mother. Her position as Medical Records Reviewer was phased out and she has had no luck finding a position since relocating to be with our family in Alabama. She also has a background in nursing.  Unfortunately, she is every salesmans' dream. She is currently considering CareerStep. Huge red flags there!  Also, schools that work with fasfa aould be even better. Thanks in advance,  Christina ...

Accredited And Reputable Transcription Schools...
Apr 02, 2011

What is the best Online MT school?  I am currently doing alot of research on schools for MT and am finding that there are TONS of options and I am getting confused as to what is an isn't important.  I've been told to check accreditation on both the ahdionline.org website and the chea.org.  However, not all schools are listed on both sites... This may be a silly question, but does anyone have a certain school that they recommend?  Currently I have a Bachelors of Scie ...

Medical Transcription School - Reputable And Not A Rip-off?
Feb 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me which MT schools are reputable and not a rip-off?  I'm asking for a friend who is interested in getting into the field.  I started so many years ago that I've never had to get certified, so would appreciate any info.  Thanks! ...

Reputable Place To Buy Word 2003 Or 2007
Jan 15, 2013

Looking at starting with a company which uses only the older versions of Word, and I'm not sure which sites/companies are safe to buy from.  Thanks for any help! ...

Looking For A Reputable Transcription Company Serving Puerto Rico
Aug 20, 2014

Does anyone out there know of a reputable MT company serving Puerto Rico?  I don't know why it is being treated as a foreign country when it is a commonwealth with the United States and I need to move out there to take care of my ailing mother.   ...

For Anyone That Works At TTS Are The Accounts Difficult Accounts And
Jul 09, 2013

how is the platform.  I know people have negative comments about them but are there any positive ones.  I would only try it PT and IC.  Not sure that would work out or not.  ...

I Assume The Bayscribe Accounts Are The Old MDI-MD Accounts -- Sm
Jan 30, 2014

is that correct? If so, are CB and DF still involved? I love Bayscribe, and I was thinking about biting the bullet and applying to Nuance for some PT work, but I kind of butted heads with the 2 ladies and so I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for your input. ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...

Why Don't Hospitals . . .
Aug 22, 2014

. . . and larger medical facilities hire disenfranchised MLS to dictate their doctors notes instead of sleep deprived nurses and residents who can't put 2 words together???  I'm not saying all RNs and residents dictate poorly, but in my experience a huge proportion leave a lot to be desired.   What with the doctor and nurse shortage, doesn't it make sense to utilize the MLS' command of medical language?   It would free up the nurses for nursing, the ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

And Of Course The Hospitals Know It Is A Holiday. Sm
Apr 21, 2011

An the NJA games begin.....   South NJA.  Any other regions NJA?  How can we get other work if there is NJA everywhere?  ...

Nuance Ad Says 90% Of US Hospitals. Sm.
Jul 10, 2012

Has anyone looked at the latest Nuance ad on the Job Seeker's Board?  Note, this ad claims they now have 90% of the hospitals in the US as customers.  90%! I wonder if this is correct.   ...

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

5 Hospitals No Work...Is This Normal?
Jan 05, 2010

I'n new to working from home, only 3 months now, but have been a transcriptionist for 6 years.  The company I work for has me on 5 different hospital accounts.  They are all rehabilitation hospitals (acute) and do H&P, discharge summaries, daily notes, consultations, etc and I am constantly out of work.   Some days I have no work at all.  Pay is 0.0775 line except headers/footers.  Is this normal?  Each hospital is at least a 50 bed hospital.  I f ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

Golden Opportunity For Hospitals Right Now!
Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national.       Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored.    & ...

Does Anyone Out There Work For VA Hospitals/clinics?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello! :)  I've noticed a HUGE drop in work flow mid-Nov through mid-April and was just curious if others notice that too.  Is it just VA or is it b/c of the time of year and everyone goes south?!?  I LOVE working for this company, but it has gotten so "hot and cold" over the past 2 years.  I would love to remain working on VA accounts, but I need more consistent work throughout the year.  Any tips? ...

Question About Teaching Hospitals
Jul 08, 2011

I have a questions for the MTs who are currently working on teaching hospitals.  How do you like them and what do you feel the pros and cons are with them? ...

The Hospitals I Work For Are Going Over To Nuance -
Apr 27, 2012

I've been an IC for almost ten years, and just found out that the hospitals I work for are going to be outsourced to Nuance.  It probably won't happen for a while - they're are still in the very beginnings of transition.  When it happens we will be given the option of staying on as employees of Nuance.   From the posts I've seen on the Main Board this scares me a little bit.  I guess I would like to get the inside scoop of whether I want to work for ...

Does Anyone On Here Work For Any Of The Hospitals In Oakwood, MI. Nm
Aug 29, 2012

nm ...

What Do Hospitals Deem Important?
Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance. The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital ...

Any Hospitals That Still Hire Transcriptionists
Feb 19, 2013

Does anyone know of any hospitals that still hire transcriptionists? Please help if so...Thanks! ...

I Emailed The Hospitals I Used To Work For
Dec 04, 2014

I may not hear back from them, but it made me feel better just doing it. ...