A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

A trend I am seeing - sm

Posted: Mar 15, 2011

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the majority of transcriptionists wanted ads (not on here) are in-house only.  I saw 11 job postings today looking for such and all were for in-house in different areas - and that's just today!  One of the companies I have a contract with has lost an account in the past month due to their hiring in-house staff instead. 

Anyone else notice this?

Yep. I have been saying this for a couple months. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Go to indeed.com and type in medical transcriptionist, but leave the location blank. Look at all of them that are in-house. It's amazing. I think the tide is turning somewhat, but I do think that the in-house jobs may be for SRT.

The trend I've been seeing in a lot of those ads - is that in many cases, its a move back - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
towards the jack-of-all-trades type of MT. Who is also functioning as an office secretary. In some instances that would be good, if you were wanting to learn other skills. Might be a way of hedging our bets when it comes to our job not being outsourced or offshored. Still, I for one would rather do straight transcription than answer phones. But I would rather answer phones than do straight VR.

been watching ads for years - and it's been that way for years. - many many sites. not new to me

[ In Reply To ..]
/

inhouse trend - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
Do you mean there's a trend away from outsourcing and back to hiring inhouse transcriptionists? If so, do you think it's because of the poor quality of transcription work turned in by services?

I think so. It's not that their MTs are low-quality, - but its hard to type 99% - s/m

[ In Reply To ..]
to 100% error-free reports when you're trying to keep a handle on 5 or more different institutions, all their quirks and rules, and several hundred to a thousand different doctors. You never get to really learn the accounts they way you'd like to know them, and there's no institutional memory for all the peripherals - geography, other local clinics that refer to them, other docs in the area, town names, street names, etc. Different areas, even within the same state, sometimes have a slightly different accent or lingo they use. ESL transcription quality would go up, too, if we had the time, and exposure to each of them, to really learn them. When I worked inhouse for just one hospital, I got very good at their most difficult to understand ESL doctors. But at an MTSO where I'm doing so many of them, sometimes weeks will go by between transcribing for a doctor one day, and the next time you get his work. There's no way you can remember the nuances of his speech under those circumstances. Sometimes I even forget which hospital I'm working on, when I have to keep bouncing back and forth between 5 or 6 of them in a day.

When I worked inhouse, we also sent some of our work out. Whenever they fired one MTSO and switched to another, it was never about who had the lowest price, it was about who had the best quality.

I think it was because some MTSOs contracted not to send work overseas but did anyway - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some MTSOs were sending work overseas even when their clients had specified that it not go overseas. They are finding out and they don't like it.

I'm seeing that trend beginning, too. (sm) - MT Wordz

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm currently working on a hospital account that my gut tells me the MTSO might lose. Certain things are beginning to happen with them that make me think that. Also, recently I saw an ad for that same account, which has always had inhouse MTs, and once again, they're hiring more inhouse MTs. Too bad they aren't anywhere near me, or I would go work there. I think the shift back to inhouse is a GOOD trend. Large MTSOs and their haven't been good for this field. All that push for profits, VR, and offshore transcription, all the while gypping their U.S. MTs, is not very sustainable in the long run, and is already showing up as generally lower-quality work.

Maybe things will shift back to a more balanced, and higher quality, form of producing medical records, with both inhouse MTs at hospitals, and overflow work being done by smaller MT companies with more scruples and a better quality of work. Maybe in that instance, both MTSOs and hospitals would begin to value MT work once again, and who knows - maybe even pay us a wage that we can actually survive on.

correction: I omitted the word "greed" after - "large MTSOs and their-"

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Glad to hear it! I'm tired of the MTSO scene, and - am hoping to someday land an inhouse job again!

[ In Reply To ..]
XX

My hospital did it - me

[ In Reply To ..]
We all work from home, but about 4 years ago, they did away with using all services, hired more transcriptionists and started paying us incentive on top of our hourly wage. Even by doing that, they said it saved them a LOT of money over paying the service.

I was told that one large organization did it to make sure work didn't go overseas - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I know one that did, too. It's the ONLY way to - guarantee the info. stays onshore.

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Anybody Notice A Trend?
Jul 19, 2012

I have been noticing a trend lately here on the old board.  Starting midweek, some posters start with the meanness, the insults, the name calling, nastiness and it continues through the weekend, Saturday seeming to be the worst.  Anybody else notice this?  It was quiet yesterday, usual normal venting, but no meanness or sarcasm or insults, and today, wow.  Just sayin' ...

I Have Noticed A Trend Of Being OOW In The
Nov 23, 2012

around 9:00 p.m. Central Time.  Any other MTs running out of work consistently around this time?  I am wondering if the work starts getting routed to India around this time, because India is about 10 hours ahead of the US, so it would be morning time for India.  The work just stops downloading and not even one job trickles in. ...

Is The New Trend To Dock MT Pay For Excessive QA
May 27, 2010

submission?  I'm with a company that does this (amongst other bordering on unethical things)....I'm sure we all know what company.......cough MQ cough........   Anyway, is it just this horrible company that docks pay for QA over 5% and also if you fail an audit?  I really wouldn't have a problem with docking of pay for failed audits IF they were fair, but this company doesn't know the meaning of the word fair.    Just wondering if there are other ...

It The Trend Now To Go With Diskectomy Instead Of Discectomy? Nm
Oct 28, 2010

nm ...

Is This A Trend Amongst Companies These Days?
Aug 31, 2011

I have been looking for a better job for about 4 months or so.  As of today, I have trained for 3 untenable situations.  I won't name companies because my intent is not to slam a particular company, but to see if others are seeing a trend of companies saying anything (including lying) to an MT to get them to come aboard.  1)  A company where they were to pay hourly, but once I signed on the dotted line, it became production...with hourly at some future date.  As pa ...

Seeing A Trend? Work Disappearing?
Aug 29, 2013

Anyone else notice a trend that you get assigned to a "new" account (new to you and to Nuance) and work slowly builds up to a good amount, then starts to get out of control and behind, then starts to dwindle, then eventually it's such a trickle that you're constantly out of work?  This has now happened to me 3 times, and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.  I know that staffing increases, when things get behind secondaries get pulled onto an account, and that a ...

Re: Trend Of Hospitals Starting To Hire MTs Again:
Mar 16, 2011

Another poster below mentioned that her hospital hired its own MTs, stopped outsourcing work.  It seems like most of these jobs are in-house, but I was happy to read that her hospital had all its MTs working at home.  How I wish I could find a job like that!  The few hospitals in my part of the state that do hire on-site MTs are too far away to make commuting an option, especially with the rising gas prices.   I've been looking at hospital employee MT jobs nationwi ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

MModal Laying Off Part-timers. Is This A New Trend?
Apr 04, 2013

Should be an interesting, wild ride. ...