A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Why don't MTSOs and hospitals get together and have BOS specifics for all accounts? - IAMT

Posted: Nov 07, 2009

Have been pondering this a lot lately.  Why would the hospitals and MTSOs not want to all have the same specifics so MTs could concentrate on providing an accurate report based on BOS that would then allow all healthcare providers to recognize a standard for their records?  I am so tired of switching to a new account or my backup account and having to change gears to comply with different specifics.  I have one account now that we are told to literally "might as well throw the BOS out" and do it according to some very bizarre facility specifics.  I would think everyone involved (MTSOs, hospitals, clinics and MTs) could get on the same page and create a more consistent medical record.  I think MTs could then concentrate on the actual medical content and accuracy of the patient's report and medical record rather than how each facility wants us to type q.h.s. or wonder if we capitalize departments, etc. 

specifics - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. There already are already basic guidelines/templates for reports, SOAP, H&P, etc., out there. These are the same as taught in MT schools. I think we should all just have to follow those and that's that. Too bad if a doctor/facility or even an MTSO wants it done a different way, then they need to change it on their end not ours. This way all transcribed reports are uniform no matter where they are coming from.

The main and most important thing is the accuracy of the information obtained in the reports. It make no difference what the format is. These guys really need to work on the accuracy of information they dictate over everything else.

Same reason that you and I don't like the same things - Simple,

[ In Reply To ..]
That said, you will find that most all specs have things in common - headers bolded or not, caps on headers or not, allergies in bold and capped or not, etc etc etc. If you can think of them in those terms, it makes it easier believe me. Also, if you have more than account for the same company, do a graph to show these with the name of the acct at top and columns. Hope that helps.

Well, you must work on very different account specs than I do. - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't talking about standard format like headers or such. For example, I have one account with specifics for things like 2 to 4, cranial nerves II-XII, q.h.s., 11/06/2009, etc, but another that uses 2-4, cranial nerves 2 through 12, at bedtime, November 11, 2009, etc. One account I had was 25 milligrams, another 25mg, and used to a 25 mg. None of this changes the context of a sentence. See what I mean?

I totally agree with you. - MT17

[ In Reply To ..]
I so totally agree with you. It is a bunch of bull. I work on an account that is so hard, not just from major ESLs, but the account specifics.......are 65 pages long!! And no, the hospital is not that huge - it is all "exceptions this" and exceptions that" and BOS second edition this, but BOS third edition that. I have worked on this account for over 6 months and can barely meet the PT line count.....go figure?...

That would never work because it's too logical! - Old and Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Besides, how would the QA people be able to pick your report apart because you put a comma in the "wrong" place? All the MTSOs are so concerned about all the picky little stuff that sometimes I think they do it deliberately to slow the MTs down so they can't make anything above minimum wage. After all, MTs are paid SO MUCH--that's the excuse for sending everything to India, isn't it?

Cesspool magic keeps our wages down - too many accounts

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't work at the Q but my MTSO gets more like them every day. I'm already juggling 5 accounts and they want me to add 2 more. Every one with their own picky rules - example, not a single one wants their impressions done like anybody else! What keeps my wages down is they overhire in general, take on many tiny little acounts, then make the entire staff master them all - its utterly counterproductive for everyone! They need to reassign the work - let people concentrate on only one or two accounts apiece so we can become really good on those accounts, intead of scattering our energy over too many small accounts and keeping us in a state of confusion and chaos!

BOS is just a matter of opinion. One acct I do hates their numerical - rules, for example, and have a right to THEIR opin

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

ding dong dell, BOS in the well - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
Which is precisely where it belongs. It's a guidelines, a book of suggestions and recommendations. In my 30+ years in the industry, I have never worked for a single hospital, clinic, service, or doctor who said I should use the book. In fact, some never heard of it.

And when you get right down to it, there's absolutely no difference between q.h.s. and QHS, and anyone who can't tell the difference should not be in the business. I adapt myself to what the client wants. If you want me to write "2 weeks" and another client wants me to write "two weeks," I'm going to do whatever the person who signs my paycheck asks me to do.

Hey Snow Bunny, - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, perhaps you missed my point. I am not saying BOS is the standard we should use necessarily, I think we could just use a standard. Yup, I can tell the difference between q.h.s. and QHS ??? so what's your point, I know they mean the same thing, used to teach this at junior college level to MTs. My point is why ask MTs to remember all this and that for specifics and let us concentrate on the accuracy and important information and complete an accurate report, do the research we spend time doing, and not spend time with our noses in specifics when we cover 5 or 6 accounts - jumping back and forth between accounts just to please the people who sign our checks???

now that I understand your point - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still throwing the BOS down the deep dark well.

Issuing a few specific guidelines is fine. An example would be the forbidden abbreviations, because of the ability to be mistaken for something else. That I'll go along with. But getting your knickers in a twist 'cause "brand names MUST be capitalized and generic names MUST be lower case," because that is the law, so sayeth the BOS ... to quote John Stossel, "Give me a break!"

And as far as concentrating on the accuracy and important information to complete an accurate report ... that's not your problem and you should not take ownership of it. (are those jaws I hear dropping?)

What I'm actually hearing from you is that YOU don't want to jump back and forth between accounts just to please the people who sign YOUR check. I'm perfectly content to please each client as they so desire. I'm doing that right now for three different clients. It's second nature to me.

If you have an abbreviation expander, then chances are you have thousands of abbreviations, possibly per specialty. If you (or your fingers) can remember them, then you certainly should have no difficulty remembering little differences between clients.
Yup, that WAS my jaw dropping. - IAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
This is not the point I started this conversation with at all but I must comment on your statement that an MT does not have to take ownership of the accuracy of the report she/he is transcribing or editing and that just boggles the mind. Are you serious? I didn't say it was my problem, it is my job. We have a responsibility in this profession to complete each and every report with accuracy.

I have no problem at all capping a brand name drug and not a generic and I don't get "my knickers in a twist" on that issue and it makes perfect sense to me.

You are NOT actually hearing me say that I don't like changing accounts.
problem ownership - Snow Bunny
[ In Reply To ..]
and doing things correctly versus accurately. There is a difference.

If a doctor says a patient's sodium level is 179, yeah, I'm gonna flag that one. BUT, if I've got a dictator that is extremely fast or dictating around construction work, then I'm going to tell you right up front, "I can't do this dictation/dictator, and here are the reasons why." I know my limitations. If you, the service, DEMAND that I do the dictation, okay, I'll do it, but I'm telling you up front that I'm not guaranteeing accuracy. That's the difference.

Years ago, I would have agreed with you, but as the demands of the industry increased and the rate of pay decreased, I became to think differently. It didn't happen overnight. You get what you pay for.

Quality, turnaround, and price ... pick two!
I do agree with you on these points. - IAMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I really don't think dictators should be able to dictate remotely. A clue they are grying to dictate while in their car is when you hear the crossing bell, the whistle blow and the train going by throughout the dictation;-) ARGGH.
and let's not forget - Snow Bunny
[ In Reply To ..]
Those dictators with those loud and deep sniffs. You know what I'm talking about. The sound of it makes you gag.

Ding dong dell, the BOS can go to **** - RickyD

[ In Reply To ..]
Snow Bunny, you sound like one of few people in the MT world who have good sense. IMHO, the BOS was put together by the Queen Bees of AAMT and is really not very useful at that, other than for the ego-stroking purposes of the organization that peddles it. (For the money it costs, it is organized in a very amateurish fashion.) Like you, I will give the clients what they want. I hope that one day the folks at the organization formerly known as AAMT will remove themselves from their self-created pedestal.

OMG!!! - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
There's someone else out there who thinks about the AAMT the same way I do.

Refreshing!
AAMT are the ones who first floated the 65 character line - mte
[ In Reply To ..]
And cut our pay by 1/3 because all the money paying people jumped on it. That was in 1993. The backed off of it later when they could see it was actually an antitrust violation and they didn't want to go there. But too late, the genie was already out of the bottle and now we work for peanuts. The reason we used to go by gross line is because of how long it took to set up the report with demographics, etc. Now we do that for free.
Count me in, too - Old and Tired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I hate the BOS, too. it was made up by a bunch of old biddies who declared themselves to be the know-it-alls of MT and found it was a great way to make money by changing the rules any time they felt like it. I have asked before--who died and left them in charge? What makes me sick is that the MTSOs see it as gospel.
Wouldnt doubt if MTSOs get come kinda kickback - from AAMT/AHDI for pushing the BOS.
[ In Reply To ..]
It's the biggest crock of s____ I've ever read. I never, never, EVER use it. I type what the client wants.

I think the biddies should be forced to leave the US, and move to India where they sent so many of our jobs. The formerly comfortable standard of living of MTs has been ruined; the biddies should have theirs lowered about 10 notches, as well.
I think most people have caught on to the scam. - Their BOS is just the tip of the iceberg. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

MTSOs Vs. Hospitals/Private Practice?
Dec 03, 2010

I've worked for several MT companies over the years just to end up going to another MT company for better pay, benefits, etc. Seems like a never-ending cycle. Anyone here ever worked from home directly with a hospital or private practice? Thanks for any response! ...

Reputable Accounts/Hospitals
Mar 01, 2014

We just lost one of the most respected hospitals in the country to EPIC.  I have a phobia about working on disreputable accounts -- the kind that hire non-English-speaking physicians who prey on old, senile, demented individuals and do consult after consult after consult.  The physicians speak little to no English and in my opinion it is all an insurance scam that the disreputable hospitals happily participate in.  Now I have no choice but to be a hippocrit and work on these types ...

Do Most Coders Work For Hospitals Or For Private Companies Similar To MTSOs?
Oct 25, 2011

Is there an "MTSO" equivilent for coders or are they usually hired directly by hospitals? ...

No Account Specifics Concerning This.....help!
Jan 28, 2011

When do you captilize these terms?  We had to transfer patient for a "pulmonary" consult.  There is no  "pulmonologist" due to the "pulmonologist" being out of town. Always confuses me!!!   ...

Account Specifics
Oct 07, 2011

Any know of any companies that have a short list of account specifics?  I am spending all my time looking at account specifics (over 20 pages).  I would rather work as an employee, but IC will do.  Thanks to all! ...

Why So Many Account Specifics??
Nov 21, 2011

I really wonder why some of these places have so many account specs...really.  What does it matter if they dictate a consultation and the headings are in all caps or have just the first letters capped, or are bolded or not, or have a colon or a dash.  Or if the doctor says "past history" but the specs say you must type "past medical history".  If all the accurate medical information is transcribed as the doctor dictates, what does it matter?  The information is still there fo ...

Verbatim And Account Specifics
Oct 27, 2009

Is it me or what - I was always told to follow account spec and make sure I didn't use the forbidden JCAHO abbreviations. Lately if I look at an old report to get a slurred/muffled word that I can't make heads or tails out of, I've noticed that others on my same account don't follow the specs at all! They do everything verbatim. It totally upsets me.  I noticed it a while back and put it down to a new employee not yet knowing all the specs, but it wasn't as ba ...

Client Specifics Should Be Less Specific!!
Jan 13, 2010

Why, oh why can't all the dictators on one account use the same format????!!!!! Dozens of doctors on the same account and they all want different styles.  Some want headings capped, some do not.   Some want bold, some do not.  Some want them underlined and some do not.  Some want PHYSICAL EXAM, some PHYSICAL EXAMINATION, and then some EXAM.  Followinig on down in a note, you can just imagine how many differences there are with each dictator.  These guys ...

How Many Pages Are You Account Specifics? Sm
Mar 17, 2011

Just curious how many pages the typical or average account specifics are if there is an average.  Mine is 54 pages for 1 facility, IC position, scheduled shifts.  I don't think that meets the definition of an IC per the IRS.  Do you have an IC position or employee? Per IRS website........You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of ...

Questions Regarding Account Specifics (sm)
May 19, 2011

What percentage of hospitals would you guess are really, really picky about account specifics; by that I mean, this doctor wants one thing, this doctor wants another, and there are like 200-300 doctors on staff, with pages and pages of instructions (maybe 20).  You can read it 10 times and will still have to refer back to it for every report because of the different little quirks of each doctor.  On average, what percentage of hospitals that you transcribe are like this?  Thanks ...

Novels For Account Specifics
Dec 13, 2011

Does anyone other than myself think that this business of medical transcription, which I have been involved in for over 30 years, has just become so complicated?  There is one particular account my company has and the account specs for this account is 101 pages long.  101 PAGES LONG PEOPLE!!!  Why on earth is medical transcription not regulated by Joint Commission as everything else is?  I mean they require certain things to be included on reports and they require the reports ...

Question About Softscript About Account Specifics
Jan 29, 2013

After reading all the posts below, I wish I would have asked more questions before I accepted a job at SS. I made the mistake of accepting a position because I had been unemployed for several months and was desperate. Now, after a few months of the constant harrassing emails, threats to be removed from an account if another acct spec error is committed, and also the threat of going back to 100% QA, I've just about had it. No amount of money is worth the costant barrage aimed at demeaning ...

Account Specifics Require SOAP Format For All Dictators
Aug 18, 2010

Okay, i have a doc that is dicating pretty much an H&P but account specifics require SOAP format for all dicators. Would most everything go under subjective heading such as social history, family history, no known allergies, etc.? I know PE will go under objective, but would the ROS go under objective as well or subjective? Thanks! ...

For Anyone That Works At TTS Are The Accounts Difficult Accounts And
Jul 09, 2013

how is the platform.  I know people have negative comments about them but are there any positive ones.  I would only try it PT and IC.  Not sure that would work out or not.  ...

I Assume The Bayscribe Accounts Are The Old MDI-MD Accounts -- Sm
Jan 30, 2014

is that correct? If so, are CB and DF still involved? I love Bayscribe, and I was thinking about biting the bullet and applying to Nuance for some PT work, but I kind of butted heads with the 2 ladies and so I don't want to waste my time. Thanks for your input. ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...

Why Don't Hospitals . . .
Aug 22, 2014

. . . and larger medical facilities hire disenfranchised MLS to dictate their doctors notes instead of sleep deprived nurses and residents who can't put 2 words together???  I'm not saying all RNs and residents dictate poorly, but in my experience a huge proportion leave a lot to be desired.   What with the doctor and nurse shortage, doesn't it make sense to utilize the MLS' command of medical language?   It would free up the nurses for nursing, the ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

And Of Course The Hospitals Know It Is A Holiday. Sm
Apr 21, 2011

An the NJA games begin.....   South NJA.  Any other regions NJA?  How can we get other work if there is NJA everywhere?  ...

Nuance Ad Says 90% Of US Hospitals. Sm.
Jul 10, 2012

Has anyone looked at the latest Nuance ad on the Job Seeker's Board?  Note, this ad claims they now have 90% of the hospitals in the US as customers.  90%! I wonder if this is correct.   ...

5 Hospitals No Work...Is This Normal?
Jan 05, 2010

I'n new to working from home, only 3 months now, but have been a transcriptionist for 6 years.  The company I work for has me on 5 different hospital accounts.  They are all rehabilitation hospitals (acute) and do H&P, discharge summaries, daily notes, consultations, etc and I am constantly out of work.   Some days I have no work at all.  Pay is 0.0775 line except headers/footers.  Is this normal?  Each hospital is at least a 50 bed hospital.  I f ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

Golden Opportunity For Hospitals Right Now!
Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national.       Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored.    & ...

Does Anyone Out There Work For VA Hospitals/clinics?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello! :)  I've noticed a HUGE drop in work flow mid-Nov through mid-April and was just curious if others notice that too.  Is it just VA or is it b/c of the time of year and everyone goes south?!?  I LOVE working for this company, but it has gotten so "hot and cold" over the past 2 years.  I would love to remain working on VA accounts, but I need more consistent work throughout the year.  Any tips? ...

Question About Teaching Hospitals
Jul 08, 2011

I have a questions for the MTs who are currently working on teaching hospitals.  How do you like them and what do you feel the pros and cons are with them? ...

The Hospitals I Work For Are Going Over To Nuance -
Apr 27, 2012

I've been an IC for almost ten years, and just found out that the hospitals I work for are going to be outsourced to Nuance.  It probably won't happen for a while - they're are still in the very beginnings of transition.  When it happens we will be given the option of staying on as employees of Nuance.   From the posts I've seen on the Main Board this scares me a little bit.  I guess I would like to get the inside scoop of whether I want to work for ...

Does Anyone On Here Work For Any Of The Hospitals In Oakwood, MI. Nm
Aug 29, 2012

nm ...

What Do Hospitals Deem Important?
Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance. The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital ...