A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

It the trend now to go with diskectomy instead of discectomy? nm - BOS-3-just ordered it.

Posted: Oct 28, 2010

nm

I use disc for eye and disk for back - Lane

[ In Reply To ..]
Or should I say, that's how my accounts use it.

I've always used discectomy - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I've used discectomy as far back as I can remember. No reason to change.

I agree - orthogirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I have always used disc and at least in my area, this is and always has been the preferred spelling. If I were to use disk, I would be told it is incorrect.

agree too - .

[ In Reply To ..]

The "k" has been preferred for years now. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

preferred by some -- - many medical/spine journals prefer disc

[ In Reply To ..]

as do many doctors - Pro C

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

by whom? - Bucket Of Shum?

[ In Reply To ..]
x

BOS changed this a long time ago to disk - for everything. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
BOS is just a Book of Style - not the be all and end all
[ In Reply To ..]
The original poster asked what the "trend" - just saying
[ In Reply To ..]
has been of late, and someone answered what has been "preferred" (according to the AAMT BOS) for years now. I don't think anyone did anything wrong or answered incorrectly here IMHO.
I agree... - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I agree totally that no one did anything wrong or answered incorrectly.

I find it hard to assess what the trend is, when "disc" is used so frequently in the literature, but BOS advocates the other spelling. :)

Similar Messages:

Microanterior Discectomy?
Nov 16, 2010

is it "microanterior" or "micro anterior" discectomy?   THanks, ...

PMH Includes S/l Discectomy De PLIF ???...
Dec 27, 2012

Maybe he's saying "with" but don't hear that.  Any ideas?  Thank you for any ideas. ...

Spinal Diskectomy And Decompression Question
Apr 07, 2011

At this point, attention was paid to removal of hardware.  The s/l K2 tulip removers were used initially in order to unlock the heads.  Following this, rods were removed.  ...

A Trend I Am Seeing
Mar 15, 2011

I have noticed over the past few weeks that the majority of transcriptionists wanted ads (not on here) are in-house only.  I saw 11 job postings today looking for such and all were for in-house in different areas - and that's just today!  One of the companies I have a contract with has lost an account in the past month due to their hiring in-house staff instead.  Anyone else notice this? ...

Anybody Notice A Trend?
Jul 19, 2012

I have been noticing a trend lately here on the old board.  Starting midweek, some posters start with the meanness, the insults, the name calling, nastiness and it continues through the weekend, Saturday seeming to be the worst.  Anybody else notice this?  It was quiet yesterday, usual normal venting, but no meanness or sarcasm or insults, and today, wow.  Just sayin' ...

I Have Noticed A Trend Of Being OOW In The
Nov 23, 2012

around 9:00 p.m. Central Time.  Any other MTs running out of work consistently around this time?  I am wondering if the work starts getting routed to India around this time, because India is about 10 hours ahead of the US, so it would be morning time for India.  The work just stops downloading and not even one job trickles in. ...

Is The New Trend To Dock MT Pay For Excessive QA
May 27, 2010

submission?  I'm with a company that does this (amongst other bordering on unethical things)....I'm sure we all know what company.......cough MQ cough........   Anyway, is it just this horrible company that docks pay for QA over 5% and also if you fail an audit?  I really wouldn't have a problem with docking of pay for failed audits IF they were fair, but this company doesn't know the meaning of the word fair.    Just wondering if there are other ...

Is This A Trend Amongst Companies These Days?
Aug 31, 2011

I have been looking for a better job for about 4 months or so.  As of today, I have trained for 3 untenable situations.  I won't name companies because my intent is not to slam a particular company, but to see if others are seeing a trend of companies saying anything (including lying) to an MT to get them to come aboard.  1)  A company where they were to pay hourly, but once I signed on the dotted line, it became production...with hourly at some future date.  As pa ...

Seeing A Trend? Work Disappearing?
Aug 29, 2013

Anyone else notice a trend that you get assigned to a "new" account (new to you and to Nuance) and work slowly builds up to a good amount, then starts to get out of control and behind, then starts to dwindle, then eventually it's such a trickle that you're constantly out of work?  This has now happened to me 3 times, and I'm beginning to wonder what's going on.  I know that staffing increases, when things get behind secondaries get pulled onto an account, and that a ...

Re: Trend Of Hospitals Starting To Hire MTs Again:
Mar 16, 2011

Another poster below mentioned that her hospital hired its own MTs, stopped outsourcing work.  It seems like most of these jobs are in-house, but I was happy to read that her hospital had all its MTs working at home.  How I wish I could find a job like that!  The few hospitals in my part of the state that do hire on-site MTs are too far away to make commuting an option, especially with the rising gas prices.   I've been looking at hospital employee MT jobs nationwi ...

Dragon An Industry-wide Trend?
Apr 11, 2011

Are many companies installing Dragon for all their MTs to use, or are most using back-end VR where the MTs simply edit?  Inscribe is going 100% Dragon.  Is that an industry trend? ...

"Velaho" Graft In Cervical Diskectomy?
May 25, 2010

I cannt find this anywhere. Thanx for any insight ...

MModal Laying Off Part-timers. Is This A New Trend?
Apr 04, 2013

Should be an interesting, wild ride. ...