A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Golden opportunity for hospitals right now! - Idle MT

Posted: Nov 11, 2010

As we all know, thanks to the way most MTSOs operate, there is currently a glut of experienced, talented, highly-qualified MTs who are looking for something better than just a chickenfeed job at a national. 

Some hospitals have begun to question the quality of work they're getting back from the nationals (and the HIPAA compliance), since ever-increasing amounts of the work those nationals have is getting offshored. 

For any hospital even remotely considering bringing their transcription back in-house where it belongs, I would say they have a golden opportunity to do so RIGHT NOW. 

Wages have become so ridiculously low at the MTSOs, that I think most experienced MTs would jump at the chance to work as a hospital employee once again, instead of where they currently are.  

If big changes in medical documentation are coming in the next year or so, it's likely there will need to be more computer and software changes for everybody - MT and employer alike.  What better time for hospitals who have wanted some full-time, but at-home MTs, to get not only the computer equipment necessary to make that happen, but the experienced at-home MTs to do the work! 

In lots of ways, a 50/50 (half in-house, half remote) workforce is a smart way to go, because then a hospital has access to an even wider selection of dedicated MTs, and could accommodate both those who desire to work at home, and those who are tired of working at home and want to go back in-house again.  In that way, they would need to dedicate a lot less space to housing their transcription departments.  Many hospitals rent offices off-site for their clerical workers, and what better time to do that, too?  There are empty offices virtually everywhere these days, and rent costs on them are dropping every day.  

I've heard of some hospitals that have opened their own daycare centers.  Not only does that make it possible for more people to work on-site, or to commute a little further to do so, but it also could be a great source of additional income for them, and what a great, safe environment for the kids!  

Many medical facilities seem to spend far too much money on aesthetic frills:  New waiting room furniture, original artwork to hang on the walls, an energy-gobbling fountain in the courtyard or at the entrance, etc.  Others build huge, cavernous parking structures.  Instead, they should work with their communities to get public transit stops at the facility (train, bus, light rail, subway, etc.)   

Instead, the focus should be on their employees.  THEY are "the hospital", not the art on the walls, or the new granite countertops in the restrooms.  If you attract top-notch people, you will have a top-notch medical facility, and the patients would rather have that, and people willing go to the extra mile for them (and their medical records!) than all the outward fanciness.  Inner beauty in a hospital trumps outer beauty, any day.

They should take a long, hard look at all the middle-mangement they hire.  Do they really need that many MBA-degreed assistant managers?  It would seem more cost-effective to instead offer training for current employees in each department to become team leads, instead of bringing in people from the outside for those positions.  Then, when decisions are made about work flow, cost-cutting, expenditures, morale, ergonomics, safety, and just about everything else of importance, you would have people who actually know the job in positions of leadership, not just corporate-types with the fancy degrees and big egos running the show.  That would probably save hundreds of thousands each year.

Back to MT again.  The glut of experienced MTs looking for work, and the ever-lower prices MTSOs are trying to woo new clients with, can only mean one thing.  That quality of outsourced transcription is going to continue to decline.  The direction of the entire MT service industry right now seems to point very squarely in the direction of ALL outsourced transcription going offshore in the very near future.  As I write this, there are already rumblings of big layoffs of U.S. MTs in the future at many of these national services.  Look at all of us with NJA every day.  We know where that work is going.  And we've seen their VR, too, and we know that it won't fly without experienced people to edit it so that it's halfway acceptable.  But they don't want to PAY us for that experience, nor do they want to charge the client for it.  

So, although most hospitals will continue to outsource to offshoring MTSOs for the foreseeable  future, how much do you want to bet that many hospitals, in an ever-escalating climate of HIPAA-compliance and EMR accuracy, might decide that at the very least, SOME on-site transcription is better than none at all, which would mean blindly sending all their work out to MTSOs, and blindly trusting that the work will be done onshore?  Or even correctly?

Any hospital even remotely looking at the possibility of bringing their work back in-house (where many of us think it belongs, anyway),  should jump on this unique opportunity of a stagnant economy, and a large number of the BEST MTs in the nation all hungry and looking for a decent job.  In the old days, a hospital might advertise for months and hardly get any MT to reply.  But now, the chances are that so many would apply to secure jobs like in-house transcription, that they could pick and choose from many top-rate transcriptionists.

directon transcription is going - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
First, there are a few points in order for hospitals to keep up with the direction transcription is going they have to keep buying the newer technology. Example: I know of one instance where they tried to put the new VR on old equipment only to blow up the system and had to buy new equipment just to support the VR. This is going to keep happening.

Second point is HIPPA overseas. Other countries have much access to people̢۪s identities and could use SS#̢۪s etc for identity theft.

Third point: Pres Obama said recently in an interview that he had the code to shut down the internet in case of an emergency, i.e. many examples. If this happens the hospitals are all going to have to invest in in-house documentation only.

Fourth point: 2012 is around the corner. LOL

LOL - I like the way you think. ; ) - Idle MT

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Too many generalizations that are not true or even close. sm - Misinformed is more dangerous than uninformated

[ In Reply To ..]
There are too many generalizations in your post that are incorrect. For example: MOST hospitals will continue to outsource to offshoring MTSOs. Not true. Only 50% of the hospitals outsource their work and only 20% of that is done offshore. Another: The direction of the entire MT service industry right now seems to point ALL outsourced transcription going offshore - FALSE. Some of the biggest MTSOs, such as WebMedx and Keystrokes, do not send any work offshore. Even Transcend only sends 15% offshore.

Other rebuttals: MOST MTs are happy with their MTSOs. You cannot judge by this board. Not all MTSOs are low-paying companies and not all are lowering pay.

You can't change that there will be outsourced work; there are huge savings for hospitals to send the work to an MTSO. They often find better quality, decreased TATs and less headaches with outsourcing and the bottom line is that they save a lot of money, resources and space to do so.

If you're not happy, make changes. There are a lot of good/great companies out there that have a lot of work, keep it in the U.S. and pay well.

I'm entitled to my opinion, just as much as you - are entitled to yours. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Please cite your references - mymt

[ In Reply To ..]
Because I read a post written from EMOTION, not written from hard, cold facts.

Remember, as informative as it may be, mtstars is NOT representive of MT in the "real" world.

Transcription has ALWAYS been a cost and will ALWAYS remain one. Hospitals that outsource will continue to do so more than likely.

"References"? Try 35 years in all aspects of - the biz. - Idle MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Been there.
Done that.
Got the T-shirt.

I like your positive tone, Idle MT! I do, though, also question - the desirability of staffing in-house.

[ In Reply To ..]
Besides the physical demands of space and equipment, plus tech support, etc., lack of enough good people in commuting distance is what drove pay rates in some areas so extremely high in the past (MTs are still moaning about those good old days). Add to that the neverending problem of keeping those positions properly filled. Now, if a hospital wanted to hire me directly for remote work, I'd be happy to consider it. :)

Most hospitals I've talked to recently w/in-house - staff have very little turnover - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
probably because their MTs know that a living wage and benefits received there are not easy to come by these days. Most leave because they retire. I'm currently on the "wait-and-watch" list at a few of these hospitals, as I had heard they had a couple people who were past retirement age, and thinking of retiring soon. One hospital had both in-house and at-home full-time employees. They must be happy, because they hadn't had a vacancy in 5 years.

Similar Messages:

GOLDEN ISLES TRANSCRIPTION?
May 22, 2010

any info/?  tia ...

Ears Playing Tricks? S/l "golden Effusion Stutter"
Feb 05, 2010

Sentence: At arthroscopy he had a s/l "golden effusion stutter" with few cartinaginous fragments. Makes no sense but I can't get my head wrapped around it. Any ideas? ...

If You Had This Opportunity Come Up,
May 06, 2011

If you were working for a national, and making less than minimum wage, but had plenty of work and basic health insurance, would you take a per-diem inhouse job that paid 5 times what you were making now, but had no benefits, and meant a very long commute?  I'm thinkin' about it, but with gas headed toward $5/gallon, I'm not so sure.......... ...

Possible Job Opportunity
Feb 10, 2014

Our local hospital has a new position for HIM Clerk to review medical reports for accuracy.  This pays twice what I was making as an editor for a service.  I wonder if this will be the trend, to create new in-house positions in HIM for editing.  Perhaps another endeavor that will not end up saving them money or improving accuracy over what their service is providing?  Perhaps someday the bean counters will realize they could drop one millionaire CEO to gain 250 experienced e ...

Missed An Opportunity?
Oct 19, 2011

Just wondering if anyone has missed a job opportunity by not responding right away to a potential employer. I got an email yesterday around 3 p.m. asking to interview with me and I responded around 5 p.m. and have now heard nothing back. Just wondering if I missed my window? Would they go with someone else just because they were available in that 2-hour window? I really, really, really want this job and am just making myself sick over the possibility I may have missed my opportunity. ...

Great Opportunity?
Nov 12, 2013

I am a former MT (laid off) who worked for a University teaching hospital for 16 years doing transcription. After Nuance took over I took a job at the same University teaching hosp. doing outpatient clerk position. I am thinking of enrolling in classes for coding because this hospital has a coder training program that starts you at over $19 an hour, just have to be enrolled in school to apply for the job. They do training classes as part of your work day and then you study on your own to get cer ...

Amphion Opportunity
Mar 10, 2015

I have a question about Amphion.  I applied to them last summer, and I ended up taking another position.  Now, I am looking for work again and tested for them again.  The benefits email I received when I first applied to them had OUTRAGEOUS costs for the health insurance - are they still like that?  Which insurance do they offer - still Humana? Cee ...

Moving On To A Non-MT Job Opportunity
Apr 30, 2015

I am pleased to say I have found an open door to a job opportunity that is outside of MT work.  It is a job that will utilize my experience in healthcare and my medical terminology.  A very nice pay increase, regular holidays off with pay, and vacation and sick time. No weekend work. Most importantly, a new skill set that makes my more marketable opening up more future opportunities as well. I hope this encourages some of you to see what is out there.  Submitting a resume or filli ...

An Opportunity I Was Presented With
Jun 15, 2015

Hi all,  I need some advice.  I am currently a medical transcriptionist and I applied for a job at a local billing company as an administrative support for the coding department.  The pay was 13.00 an hour and it was about 33 miles from where I live, so I declined on that offer.  The HR lady had told me during the phone conversation the day I declined that because of my background in transcription she asked if I would be interested in coding if a spot opened up, which she sa ...

I Am Blessed To Have The Opportunity To Work Both As An IC And Inhouse.
Jan 25, 2010

There are good things about both sides.  I get paid more inhouse but I have more free time with IC. ...

This Pay Cut Is Perfect Opportunity For MT To Make A Stand. If All
Dec 23, 2010

work for this, what would happen?  Now is the time to stand up for what you deserve. ...

Does Your Company Offer Advancement Opportunity?
Feb 06, 2013

I am curious as to ways transcriptonists (of employee status, not ICs) might be advancing in their transcription careers other than being paid incentive line rates. I am thinking long-term. Do any of you get raises? If so, what kind? Are you paid per the line or hourly? Are there different levels of transcription in your place of employment with different pay scales? Do you make different rates for different dictators or work types? Are there any other kinds of advancement opportunities avai ...

Is This A Figment Of Someone's Imagination. Mmodal Transcription Opportunity.
Oct 03, 2012

M*Modal Transcription Opportunity - M*Modal Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 - 2:18 pmM*Modal 5000 Meridan Blvd Franklin, TN 37067 mmodal@rightthinginc.com M*Modal is now accepting applications for Acute Care transcriptionists! Positions offer flexible afternoon/evening hours, great pay, sign on bonus, shift differential and benefits!At M*Modal We Are Committed to: Respect: We treat each other and our customers with respect, valuing individual and cultural differences and approaches to work. Teamwork: We ...

Are MLSs Given The Opportunity To Switch From Acute Care Over To Ambulatory
Jul 21, 2014

have plenty of work, have exclusive work pools and dictators, great support from QA and TSMs. ...

Part-time Transcription Opportunity In Mental Health Clinic/Bronx, NY
Sep 25, 2013

Wednesdays and Thursdays only. Must have medical terminology, knowledge of ICD-V codes, fast typing, Spanish speaking very helpful. Send resume to Samantha G. at 212-481-9582. ...

VA Hospitals
Mar 11, 2010

Has anyone ever transcribed for a VA Hospital? If so, would you mind telling me likes versus dislikes, similarities versus differences? I have 17 years of acute care experience but was wondering if VA Hospitals had any major differences. Thank you. ...

Who Has The 500 Plus Bed Hospitals?
Jun 08, 2014

Bored to friggin death with the little op notes from small hospitals.  Used to work for a large one out of California and there was never a dull moment with the dictation from that facility.  Stupid me.. I moved on when that company was bought out.  Should have stuck it out for the account alone. ...

Why Don't Hospitals . . .
Aug 22, 2014

. . . and larger medical facilities hire disenfranchised MLS to dictate their doctors notes instead of sleep deprived nurses and residents who can't put 2 words together???  I'm not saying all RNs and residents dictate poorly, but in my experience a huge proportion leave a lot to be desired.   What with the doctor and nurse shortage, doesn't it make sense to utilize the MLS' command of medical language?   It would free up the nurses for nursing, the ...

Hospitals/outsourcing
Oct 15, 2010

Currently, I have a FT job w/a very large hospital, actually multiple hospitals combined.  We all once worked in the office; however, they sent us all home to work.  There are about 130 hospital transcriptionists.  We also outsource a lot of work to a large company.  There have been so, so many changes - everything from new management, VR, pay for production.....Communication amongst co-workers has disappeared.  Management doesn't respond.  I'm really wond ...

And Of Course The Hospitals Know It Is A Holiday. Sm
Apr 21, 2011

An the NJA games begin.....   South NJA.  Any other regions NJA?  How can we get other work if there is NJA everywhere?  ...

Nuance Ad Says 90% Of US Hospitals. Sm.
Jul 10, 2012

Has anyone looked at the latest Nuance ad on the Job Seeker's Board?  Note, this ad claims they now have 90% of the hospitals in the US as customers.  90%! I wonder if this is correct.   ...

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

5 Hospitals No Work...Is This Normal?
Jan 05, 2010

I'n new to working from home, only 3 months now, but have been a transcriptionist for 6 years.  The company I work for has me on 5 different hospital accounts.  They are all rehabilitation hospitals (acute) and do H&P, discharge summaries, daily notes, consultations, etc and I am constantly out of work.   Some days I have no work at all.  Pay is 0.0775 line except headers/footers.  Is this normal?  Each hospital is at least a 50 bed hospital.  I f ...

What Happened To The Thread On The V.A. Hospitals?
Mar 12, 2010

There were some postings on V.A. Hospitals here just yesterday.  Why are they gone?  There were comments about companies that had contracts with the V.A.  Why are they missing?  Does anyone know what is going on?  Are our comments being censored?  Need to know. ...

Does Anyone Out There Work For VA Hospitals/clinics?
Jul 18, 2011

Hello! :)  I've noticed a HUGE drop in work flow mid-Nov through mid-April and was just curious if others notice that too.  Is it just VA or is it b/c of the time of year and everyone goes south?!?  I LOVE working for this company, but it has gotten so "hot and cold" over the past 2 years.  I would love to remain working on VA accounts, but I need more consistent work throughout the year.  Any tips? ...

Question About Teaching Hospitals
Jul 08, 2011

I have a questions for the MTs who are currently working on teaching hospitals.  How do you like them and what do you feel the pros and cons are with them? ...

The Hospitals I Work For Are Going Over To Nuance -
Apr 27, 2012

I've been an IC for almost ten years, and just found out that the hospitals I work for are going to be outsourced to Nuance.  It probably won't happen for a while - they're are still in the very beginnings of transition.  When it happens we will be given the option of staying on as employees of Nuance.   From the posts I've seen on the Main Board this scares me a little bit.  I guess I would like to get the inside scoop of whether I want to work for ...

Does Anyone On Here Work For Any Of The Hospitals In Oakwood, MI. Nm
Aug 29, 2012

nm ...

What Do Hospitals Deem Important?
Oct 06, 2012

My friend works for a local hospital that I used to work for.  That institution just recently outsourced their MT department to Nuance. The hospital has hired a "Life Coach" to direct their "Learning and Development" department.  They have announced that the L&D section will be "massively expanding" in the near future.  Their mission is to come up with new worthless slogans (like they one they had in place when I worked there) to put on posters plastered all over the hospital ...

Any Hospitals That Still Hire Transcriptionists
Feb 19, 2013

Does anyone know of any hospitals that still hire transcriptionists? Please help if so...Thanks! ...