A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Constant use of profanity by a boss at my company? - anon

Posted: Feb 14, 2010

I have a supervisor at my company who constantly uses profanity when I speak to her on the phone, and constantly bashes MTs and other employees, so I'm sure she bashes me to others as well.   She even does this on conference calls.  I am always shocked at this behavior each and every time she does it.

I find this so unprofessional and it makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't want to tell the owner/HR person.  It makes the company look bad.  How would you handle such a situation?

You have to tell the owner/HR - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
You should say something for a couple of reasons. First, maybe the owner isn't aware of the completely unprofessional manner in which this employee represents them. If I were an owner of a company, I would want to know something like that. Second, on the off chance that the owner DOES know, then that means that they don't care. That's not someone I'd want to work for.

I would tell the cusser directly - to knock it off

[ In Reply To ..]

"Could you tone it down with the profanity, please?  It is unnecessary and offensive.  Thanks so much."  With a smile in my tone, of course :)

How hard is that?

As far as the bashing ... "if they gossip to you, they will gossip about you."  Same with the bashing - you know she is doing it about you too, so watch your back and every word you say with her.  And don't participate, don't engage, when she does it about others.  Direct the conversation back to the subject at hand, and if bashing is all that is going on say "Gotta go, bye." 

not necessarily gossiping about her, too, if she is a good MT - ?

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

With a basher, its about the bashing - not necessarily the person being bashed

[ In Reply To ..]

That's like saying a known gossiper won't gossip about you because you're a nice person. 

I too think it is better that the OP err on the side of caution (and smarts) and watch every word and action in any communication with her supervisor.

Profanity - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I would do straight to HR and complain. This is harassment. I do not care to hear verbal garbage/pollution in my workplace. She is creating a hostile workplace and should be reported. I would. (I once reported a doc who kept inserting the "F word" in his reports "Where is the f****** x-ray," etc. and that got stopped right pronto.

Thanks to all for the advice - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
As one other poster said, it is not really about the person, it is about the bashing. The simplest thing anyone does, and she says things like ,"Ugh, what is wrong with her?" ...and says things that are much worse than this... including using profanity.

She tries to get me to participate in the bashing, but I don't. This is an older lady who is a wife and mother. I have never in my life encountered someone like this, but I am growing very tired of it.

I think it is disrespectful to me and the others who are subjected to it. It is also disrespectful to the the people she bashes. I wonder if she also talks to the clients using this language.

Again, I appreciate the advice.

Similar Messages:

Anyone Heard Of A Boss Or Boss Reamer?
Sep 06, 2011

Anyone heard of a boss or Boss reamer? Thanks in advance. ...

Profanity Question
Mar 08, 2011

If a physician dictates profanity pertaining to mental health report and it's in quotes do you type as dictated or someting like "f _ _ _ " thanks ...

Profanity In A Report... How Do You Handle It?
May 12, 2010

I have a dictator who says:  The patient says "I look and feel like sh--." I'm not sure how to handle it. ...

Constant Complaining...?
Jan 07, 2013

I just have to ask, in all sincerity, why does everone on here just bash all of these services to death?   I have rarely found a good word from people about the places that they've worked for.   You mean no one has had an enjoyable moment at any of these companies??  It just seems very odd to me that this is the way this board is run.... Is this really the case....that ALL of these services are garbage?  Come on....There has to be some service that is a decent ...

Constant Sitting
Jan 29, 2015

With MM's restrictions on pretty much everything, how often does everybody get up to take a break?  Previously I could get up and stretch, walk away for a few minutes before downloading the next job, but now I get reprimanded for inactive time.  How long do you work before standing up?  Do you stand and work at the same time sometimes.  I have severe RLS and to top that off my chair is like sitting on a brick.  Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks! ...

Everything They Do Is Geared For CONSTANT Turnover
Jun 25, 2014

People in, people out. Like a giant sucking funnel pulling us down and out as fast as the Board of Directors acquires hundreds coming in with each new hospital or clinic account "acquisition."  The pressure on you and me to quit is purposeful. It is what they PREFER. That way they don't have to keep firing people. Their luck with firing can run out and they know it. (Just the right lawyer, just the right set of documents proving their wrongdoing, just the right claim) could get ' ...

Constant Auditing Until Can't Even Work Anymore
Jan 20, 2014

I currently work for one of the nicest and kindest companies and that are known for treating their employees with respect and kindness, hardly. I have been doing this for 15 years now and doing at home for 4 years and never had this problem. I being constantly picked apart and audited and t hreatened that I'm physically sick and so nervous to work that I can't make enough to pay the bills anymore. Now I'm even on 100% QA which decreases my pay even more. They have never showed me ...

Newbies, Know It Alls, And Constant Complainers
Jul 26, 2014

I don't understand why when newbies ask valid questions they are answered by rude know it alls who have 5+ years' experience and think they are much better than someone just starting out.  We all used to be newbies.  I have 20+ years' experience and I do not think I know everything. I learn something new everyday and am willing to help anyone who needs help. Also, MTs that complain their hands hurt from editing all day, try straight transcribing all day long without usin ...

I Am Tired Of Getting Constant Emails About Client Audits.
Nov 04, 2013

Always 3-4 emails after a week's worth of work with the 'corrections'. It is frustrating because I cannot hear what they say was dictated! If I am so bad at this, why keep me?? Although, who knows, maybe other people are getting more emails than I am. Of course, this was an account the TSM was so angry with our group because we "only" scored 99.5% accuracy and thus failed our audit. Can't wait until I am outta here! ...

Wondering If Anyone In My Group (constant Mandatory OT Of Late) Is Having Trouble, Sm
Jan 11, 2014

with this.  Almost daily now I am getting email saying mandatory OT.  I know this is great and should not complain as we could all use more money but I do this PT for a reason and have a jammed pack scheduled around my work schedule.  If time allows, I will gladly do it but I am starting to feel stressed out about these daily emails.  Do you all work every MANDATORY OT or do you ignore, just wondering because I really do not want to call my whatever she is called these days.& ...

Undercover Boss
Jul 01, 2011

I would welcome the MQ CEO if he wanted to pretend to be a game show contestant and come to watch me work.   Wouldn't that be a learning experience! ...

Boss's Day Snub
Oct 21, 2012

I sent my manager an email wishing her a Happy Boss's day this week...never heard a peep. I guess it's too hard to get a simple thank you these days, but I did get several emails this weekend saying the queue was overflowing and they were getting behind. Since she ignored me, I ignored her. Guess they're not too busy when they want to get their bonus, right? ...

My Boss Just Told Me... Sm
Jul 18, 2013

that a "transcribers" job is to type what they hear and only what they hear, and that the doctors will be held accountable for their mistakes.  This made me laugh. ...

Boss's Day Tomorrow! If You've Got A Good One Let Them Know.
Oct 15, 2010

I know there aren't very many of you that probably like your boss enough to send them a gift, but if you DO happen to have a nice boss it wouldn't hurt to tell them so they don't become mean and cynical like the rest of them!  Employers like to hear it when they do a good job just as much as the employees do! ...

Osteoarthritis And S/l Boss To The Right Great Toe.
Feb 21, 2011

x ...

Undercover Boss ---- Idea :)
May 05, 2012

I think the CEO/managers at Nuance should do an Undercover Boss episode ...... wouldn't that be fun?  I don't think they would ever have the courage to do so though.  ...

I Wish The MT Industry Would Go On Undercover Boss
Jun 26, 2012

Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for some of these MTSOs?  ...

Bad Mouthing Previous Boss
Apr 16, 2013

Just found out that indeed my old boss is stating that I walked out and gave her no notice; which is NOT true... OMG... I'm speechless. ...

How Do You Deal With A Difficult Boss?
Aug 08, 2014

I have come to the conclusion that the "Boss" is a bully.  I am an IC but I say boss because that is how he comes across.  He is difficult to deal with and uses bully-like tactics to get what he wants.  I cannot be alone in this situation.  I am looking for advice and helpful tips on how to deal with the situation short of quitting.  Thanks! ...

Dear Undercover Boss
Apr 04, 2015

Please get the CEO of MM to work one of the MTs shifts for one of your shows. He would not last 1 minute.   ...

Did Anyone See The Show Undercover Boss Last Night?
Feb 08, 2010

Did anyone see the show Undercover Boss last night?  Do ya think the suits at MQ would do that - ha, never would be a consideration for them -- if any of them did see it, they probably laughed.  They don't realize and don't care to realize what we do to fill their pockets.  Bottom line for them is money in their pockets and the big bonuses they get for signing papers and closing those deals that don't benefit the MT at all -- the ones who are keeping the profit going for them. ...

I'd LOVE To See Vern On Undercover Boss! Nm
Aug 19, 2011

NM ...

Convincing Boss To Let Me Work At Home
Feb 05, 2012

I have been doing MT work for over 10 years now. I worked from home for a while and loved it. Circumstances changed, so I now drive an hour each way to a hospital, spending about 350 a month just for gas, not to mention excessive oil changes, tire rotations, etc. due to mileage! Let's factor in that I just now found out I'm expecting my first child (at age 37...please pray for me!! LOL) and can expect in my area to pay around 400 a month for daycare. So, we're at 750 a month just ...

Undercover Boss For Nuance And MModal
May 29, 2013

It would be great if the CEOs of these cheap miserly companies had to trade places with us worker bees for a week or two like on the TV show Undercover Boss and see how long they would last.  That would be an eye-opener.  ...

Wouldn't You Love To See MModal On Undercover Boss?
Feb 29, 2012

Boy wouldn't they get a rude awakening. ...

What Is A Metatarsal Boss? Not Finding Much Luck On Google
Apr 17, 2012

x ...

Watching Undercover Boss…
May 20, 2014

… something like that to happen to MTs (yeah, I know it will never happen, but I can dream can't I)! ...

Boss Let It Slip My Hospital Account Is Going To Electronic Record...
Jan 24, 2011

I've been at this midsized company for about 2 years.  As many as 50 of us work this large account.  I do acute care.  Would like to hear from anybody who's experienced this; how long till this severely (?) affects us?  Can you give me a play-by-play?  I figure the boss won't be telling us much of anything along the way.  ...

At Your Company, Are Your Company-observed Holidays Paid By The Company?
Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?     Thank you! :) ...

"Undercover Boss."
Sep 30, 2011

Have you guys seen that show on TLC where the CEO of a huge corporation works "undercover" in the stores with the "peons" to see what it's really like to work there? Last night it was the CEO of 7 Eleven. I was really impressed that he would do that - at least he seemed to CARE about improving conditions for his employees. I kept thinking how different the corporate culture is at MedQuist - and what it would be like if the MQ CEO did this show. Of course, he would never do it because he mig ...