A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Boss let it slip my hospital account is going to electronic record... - anon

Posted: Jan 24, 2011

I've been at this midsized company for about 2 years.  As many as 50 of us work this large account.  I do acute care.  Would like to hear from anybody who's experienced this; how long till this severely (?) affects us?  Can you give me a play-by-play?  I figure the boss won't be telling us much of anything along the way. 

You should insist on a meeting with boss and all MTs. - He slipped and now you need SM

[ In Reply To ..]
to know what is going on. It would be totally wrong to now not let you in on the details. He should be willing to answer questions. Talk to your fellow MTs. He screwed up by opening his big mouth now let him pay the price. What is he going to do fire all you? He wouldnt have time to train new MTs to do the work til the switch, so I think you are in a good position to insist on more info.

Agree. But dump the negativity. Many MTs have been there - already and posted here that many jobs

[ In Reply To ..]
still remained afterward. By all means, get the answers you need and are therefore entitled to: #1 being what % of positions will remain afterward. Assuming the usual--that a various percentage of people will be let go and others remain, if I liked my job I'd focus primarily on making sure they see me as a keeper.

So you might want to keep this job. And worry constantly when the - other shoe is going to fall, how are SM

[ In Reply To ..]
they going to screw me next, and keep watching over your shoulder (more than most) b/c a company who has treated employees badly once will do it again, and again. Especially, when the MTs show that it is Ok to treat them badly.
Shhh. The worst that happens is OP gets to look for another - job. No need for all your teeth-gnashing. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Worst that happens is OP looks for another job?! She - SHOULD be looking for another job. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
Taking this crap is what has helped to get us where we are. Get a pair!!
Read down farther please, to OP's comments. - If you are so angry, go kick your own dog. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Never said MT should approach Creepo in neg. manner. - Said they should go after him for SM

[ In Reply To ..]
answers. I agree that MT should put forth a confident, positive, ready to listen spin on this. But also, dont weinie out, stand firm and demand, in a nice way, answers. Dont let him talk circles around this issue. Define your questions and keep asking til you get a straight up anwer. Again, what is he going to do, fire them?
Mean dump negative attitude (creepo-type) and expectations. - Educating oneself right here on this forum
[ In Reply To ..]
will help tremendously. Knowledge is power. Really! Knowledge also erases or significantly diminishes the feelings of uncertainty and lack of control which are 95% of our anguish as life sweeps us along.

Don't dump the negativity, speak up! - Nell

[ In Reply To ..]
I like the way you think. Finally someone with a little backbone. Don't let these other do-gooders tell you about "your bad attitude." Too many of them are all job-scared so they will tolerate just about anything from these jerks. That is what has this industry messed up now. If everyone would stand for something, instead of just going with the flow, we could really make some strides for better jobs and work conditions. Too many dishonest people in these transcription companies.

sounds like a hospital move, perhaps he does not know all details yet himself. - nm BREATHE

[ In Reply To ..]

Then HE needs to have meeting with management above him - so he can tell his MTs what is up. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x
YOU seem to have the answers - do it yourself, call them, go ahead, - get it done. be happy NM
[ In Reply To ..]
in other words STFU.

I think some EMR still needs an MT or 2. Ask. Make list - of other questions. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Why ask here and then sit, working, waiting for the ax - to fall. Ask the creep who is helping

[ In Reply To ..]
to transition this acct to EMR. It is such a female point of view to just sit back, like a lamb waiting for the slaughter. Grow a pair and go after this (&#(@.

Calling him a "creep" and a "(&#(@" is pretty harsh. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
Almost always it is upper upper management at the hospital corporate level that makes the decision to:
1. Outsource completely
2. Use a service for overflow
3. Go to EMR
4. Go to speech rec
5. Any combination of the above

No one likes to be the bearer of bad news and the "creep" is most likely following orders from his boss.

Healthcare costs are skyrocketing, hospitals are looking for ways to cut costs, and hospital transcription departments have been on the front lines for a number of years now.

Right. We're all riding the same wave and holding - onto the same float, for that matter. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

a little maturity please.x - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
oops. reply is for 'Ask the creep' above. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]

No, creep is accurate - Nell

[ In Reply To ..]
Call it like it is. This person is a creep. Another job-scared person with no backbone. Wise up and keep searching for the truth. I can't stand these namby-pamby types.

For all you know it was creep who put this idea before - upper management. Are you one of SM

[ In Reply To ..]
those milk toast ppl who has a brown spot on the nose becuase you play it safe, are a Yes person, and think you dont deserve better, that you are "lucky to have a job?" But when the more vocal of our group makes a difference, but you will be the first in line for more respect and better jobs.
Big talk. Go spit in your own boss's face instead of - ranting at someone who likes hers.
[ In Reply To ..]
Somehow screaming from a safe anonymous distance that someone else should do what you have not does not sound very brave, and especially not at all decent. There's no indication whatsoever that OP's company has behaved badly or unfairly to its employees.
Why so extreme? Just advocate MTs stop being door mats. - Get a backbone. Are SM
[ In Reply To ..]
you the troll with anger issues from the other board?

The reason he hasnt said this before was b/c he needs - all you to stick around and make the SM

[ In Reply To ..]
transition for him. He doesnt respect you guys, he was going to wait to the last minute to tell you. He has opened the way for you guys to stand up and demand to know the score.

Aaarrggghh!! Can you all tell how angry this makes me? - lol. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Btw, start looking for new job and encourage your fellow - MTs to do the same. No use waiting SM

[ In Reply To ..]
til the job is gone to start looking. And besides, who wants to work for company that is so dishonest, disrespectful and passively aggressive to the employees, who are generating their pay also.

the mtso is not implementing the new system, the hospital is. - and give fellow MTs a little credit to choose wise

[ In Reply To ..]
you're not doing anything but riling up attitudes.

Did you ever consider the fact the MTSO might have just found out as well, and might not have all the details yet, because maybe the hospital does not know how a hospital-wide new system will affect the word processing end.

you are a trouble maker - go ahead, jump in that fire. you can't do any damage, but you'll be remembered, that's for sure.

I would rather be remembered as a trouble maker than - forgotten as a door mat. At least, SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I am trying to help my sista MTs. You, it seems, would help to keep them down and mistreated.
like you're NOT obvious? with that attitude you WILL be the last to know. - you cannot handle the truth. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Would that you all find new job before switch. Then what is Mr - Creepo going to do? Type his *** off? SM

[ In Reply To ..]
He needs you MTs. Make him suffer.

Our work dropped 80% within 2 weeks of notice... - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
They say that we are technically already performing EMR services, because the medical record is being transcribed right into the hospital's system.

Why it dropped off so drastically though is a mystery to me but I could care less because I can't do squat about it. All I can do is work whatever hours/days I can scrounge because there is NOTHING for jobs out where I am...not even at Walmart or burger joints. It is frickin' SCARY out there.

It got so bad I just automatically applied for unemployment over the internet. I thanked my employer for all they have done for me over the years, but reality was that there was no work and I had to do what I had to do.

They have really tried to keep us employed and I put off initiating the final stages of getting unemployment going, but I'm not seeing things really picking up again either.

I'm positive this is one of those careers that will be going bye-bye really soon. We are in the death throes, I don't care how many people may feel secure at the moment and say that all we need to do is simply adapt.

Technology is our friend and yet is our enemy.

Tell other MTs you are needed now more than ever. Maybe - ask for raise, lol? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

EMR - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
The EMR still requires transcription, it only means that the record is paperless. The doctors will still dictate. If you are using Epic, some templates will be used and the doctors will do some of their own charting, but not all. If you are going to front end speech recognition, that is what will change the need for transcriptionists but some MTs should still be needed. I'm going through the same thing at my facility now and it's scary but I'm trying to hang in there hoping I'll make the cut. Good luck to you.

Thanks for all your opinions and replies... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Am hanging in there. My boss is not a monster here, didn't mean to convey that at all, I truly don't think she knows what will become of all of us. My company does handle other accounts so will just have to see how it goes. Of course I think I'm indispensable on my job as a second shifter, ha-ha, but I know these days none of us is indispensable. Thanks again.

I am amazed all MTs arent outraged about this. Taking a back down - attitude is such a typical SM

[ In Reply To ..]
female response and a reason this industry keeps going down. Example is MTSO who doesnt pay. She can be 90% sure a female MT will not pursue this. (Yes, some do, but that is a different thread). IMO, MTs are treated badly cause as females they are used to doing what they are told, dont ask questiions, and take what you are given. And then when ones such as I post, others post we are wrong. HELLO?! Who else is gonna stand up for us if not ourselves.

okay to be angry but to what end, really? - original poster here

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been at this 35 years now. Looking for another job doesn't seem to be an absolutely necessary step right now. I've been with this company for about 2 years now and consider myself lucky; it ain't perfect but it pays well. You don't keep job hopping when you're on your own and you realize you have a mortgage to pay; the bills don't stop because you have high ideals. When I was in my 20s and 30s, I saw things like you do. Notice this is not only happening to MTs, if you're keeping up with the news. I can't get enthused about becoming something else at my age but yeah, I should be taking some classes in my spare time (ha-ha, what spare time with an aging mom to keep track of??) Again, I'm hanging in there and talking to a lot of other people right now.

Had this happen a couple of years ago... - message

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course it all depends on the account and how well the doctors like the EMR, but I'll give you my experience.

It was a large account with many MTs, and the facility told us that they doubted the doctors would take to it well and to keep a full staff for the account. They estimated their transcription needs from us would drop by only 25%. Of course our managers didn't tell us this until the EMR had officially started and the doctors LOVED it. Our account when from being busy with OT being begged for all the time to being completely dead instantly. Our managers gave it a couple of weeks to see if the work would come back, but then finally told us they went EMR and gave us the whole story, then scrambled to find us different accounts. Not good.

Ouch! But good input, thanks. I've read reports like yours - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
that span the whole range of possible impacts, from relatively little to devastating, with most departments greatly diminished after laying off substantially.

Thank you for the informative input... - original poster

[ In Reply To ..]
I've emailed you.

Similar Messages:

Electronic Medical Record
Jan 14, 2015

I have been corrected by QA twice on this one. The first time it was changed to capitals (Electronic Medical Record), so I started typing it that way. However, recently I had it changed to lower case (electronic medical record). Both times the sentence was the same... "Detailed in the electronic medical record."   I had always typed this lower case until it was changed the first time. I never did understand why it should be capitalized. How do you usually transcribe this one?  ...

Working With The Electronic Health Record (EHR)?
May 12, 2011

I know that transcriptionists at Veterans' Hospitals have used the EHR for years and it works really well at VA. Now it seems that you hear about it all the time, but every single description is different from every other one. Nobody seems to know anything. When I ask how it works in other hospitals and clinics or with MTSOs, I hear that it's really no big deal. You just transribe like you always have. If each system is different, I guess what I want to know is, are any of you using it ...

Electronic Medical Record No More Dictation, No More Transcription
Jun 26, 2014

Everywhere I turn I see nothing but EMR - No more dictation, no more transcription.  At an eye appointment today when I told the technician I'm a medical transcriptionist, she responded with "DO THEY STILL HAVE THAT?"  It's time to wake up and smell the coffee.  Transcription and even VR will not be needed by next year.  Walmart please hire me! ...

What Impact Will The Electronic Medical Record Have On The Medical Coding Career
Mar 20, 2011

Dear medical coding students and medical coders: I am starting The Andrew's School of Medical Coding on April 1, 2011 and I have I am looking forward to it. I want to ask you your opinions. I was at the dog park with my pug Cruncher yesterday and I was telling my friends that I was looking forward to starting school and one my friends who is an oncologist at NIH was advising me that I should think twice about starting medical coding as a profession because the implementation of the electron ...

BTxt Hospital Account Go Live
Apr 09, 2013

Anybody know which hospital accounts are going live today?  Just curious.   ...

DTS TANKS On 1-1/2 Year Hospital Account
May 09, 2013

FINALLY after a year lines were looking up on this account.  The last few weeks have been way overflowing with work.  All of a sudden.. SCRAPPING for work and only getting about 25% of usual lines.  I bet the account went to EMR and they never told us and now we are SOL.  I need some angry birds to fly over the management ...

IMEDX Gives 10 Day Notice On Big Hospital Account
Feb 15, 2015

A 10 day notice has been given on a longstanding hospital account. Employees on this account will be moved to other accounts (September 30, 2013). Remember the goold old days when we were notified 10 days before losing an account? Don't you think it's odd Imedx does not do this anymore? Multiple accounts go down last month and not a peep, just locked out? ...

Anyone Heard Of A Boss Or Boss Reamer?
Sep 06, 2011

Anyone heard of a boss or Boss reamer? Thanks in advance. ...

Today My Hospital Account Announced Its "launch" Of EMR In December 2012...
Jan 25, 2012

Would appreciate replies from anyone who's actually been through this - how long after it begins will we last? There are maybe 50 of us transcribers, all told.  Thanks. ...

Anyone Every Hear Of: ...slip And Fall Foose-type Mechanism?
Mar 06, 2014

"foose-type"? ...

Ivs Slip ???? To Rule Out Monoclonal Gammopathy; Also Responsible For His High Creatinine.
Jul 29, 2011

Cannot find what kind of test doc is saying.  Any help would be appreciated!   ...

Double Nitrogen Freeze Slip, Slick, Or Stick For Actinic Keratoses?
Jul 01, 2011

xx ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Undercover Boss
Jul 01, 2011

I would welcome the MQ CEO if he wanted to pretend to be a game show contestant and come to watch me work.   Wouldn't that be a learning experience! ...

Boss's Day Snub
Oct 21, 2012

I sent my manager an email wishing her a Happy Boss's day this week...never heard a peep. I guess it's too hard to get a simple thank you these days, but I did get several emails this weekend saying the queue was overflowing and they were getting behind. Since she ignored me, I ignored her. Guess they're not too busy when they want to get their bonus, right? ...

My Boss Just Told Me... Sm
Jul 18, 2013

that a "transcribers" job is to type what they hear and only what they hear, and that the doctors will be held accountable for their mistakes.  This made me laugh. ...

Boss's Day Tomorrow! If You've Got A Good One Let Them Know.
Oct 15, 2010

I know there aren't very many of you that probably like your boss enough to send them a gift, but if you DO happen to have a nice boss it wouldn't hurt to tell them so they don't become mean and cynical like the rest of them!  Employers like to hear it when they do a good job just as much as the employees do! ...

Osteoarthritis And S/l Boss To The Right Great Toe.
Feb 21, 2011

x ...

Undercover Boss ---- Idea :)
May 05, 2012

I think the CEO/managers at Nuance should do an Undercover Boss episode ...... wouldn't that be fun?  I don't think they would ever have the courage to do so though.  ...

I Wish The MT Industry Would Go On Undercover Boss
Jun 26, 2012

Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for some of these MTSOs?  ...

Bad Mouthing Previous Boss
Apr 16, 2013

Just found out that indeed my old boss is stating that I walked out and gave her no notice; which is NOT true... OMG... I'm speechless. ...

How Do You Deal With A Difficult Boss?
Aug 08, 2014

I have come to the conclusion that the "Boss" is a bully.  I am an IC but I say boss because that is how he comes across.  He is difficult to deal with and uses bully-like tactics to get what he wants.  I cannot be alone in this situation.  I am looking for advice and helpful tips on how to deal with the situation short of quitting.  Thanks! ...

Dear Undercover Boss
Apr 04, 2015

Please get the CEO of MM to work one of the MTs shifts for one of your shows. He would not last 1 minute.   ...

Did Anyone See The Show Undercover Boss Last Night?
Feb 08, 2010

Did anyone see the show Undercover Boss last night?  Do ya think the suits at MQ would do that - ha, never would be a consideration for them -- if any of them did see it, they probably laughed.  They don't realize and don't care to realize what we do to fill their pockets.  Bottom line for them is money in their pockets and the big bonuses they get for signing papers and closing those deals that don't benefit the MT at all -- the ones who are keeping the profit going for them. ...

Constant Use Of Profanity By A Boss At My Company?
Feb 14, 2010

I have a supervisor at my company who constantly uses profanity when I speak to her on the phone, and constantly bashes MTs and other employees, so I'm sure she bashes me to others as well.   She even does this on conference calls.  I am always shocked at this behavior each and every time she does it. I find this so unprofessional and it makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't want to tell the owner/HR person.  It makes the company look bad.  How would you ha ...

I'd LOVE To See Vern On Undercover Boss! Nm
Aug 19, 2011

NM ...

Convincing Boss To Let Me Work At Home
Feb 05, 2012

I have been doing MT work for over 10 years now. I worked from home for a while and loved it. Circumstances changed, so I now drive an hour each way to a hospital, spending about 350 a month just for gas, not to mention excessive oil changes, tire rotations, etc. due to mileage! Let's factor in that I just now found out I'm expecting my first child (at age 37...please pray for me!! LOL) and can expect in my area to pay around 400 a month for daycare. So, we're at 750 a month just ...

Undercover Boss For Nuance And MModal
May 29, 2013

It would be great if the CEOs of these cheap miserly companies had to trade places with us worker bees for a week or two like on the TV show Undercover Boss and see how long they would last.  That would be an eye-opener.  ...

Wouldn't You Love To See MModal On Undercover Boss?
Feb 29, 2012

Boy wouldn't they get a rude awakening. ...