A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

At your company, are your company-observed holidays paid by the company? - First time

Posted: Oct 07, 2014

I am working at a company who observes certain holidays and we are required to work 4 of them, but this is the first company I have ever worked where I have to use my PTO on the holiday I am supposed to be off.  Does your company do the same?  

Thank you! :)

Common practice these days...sm - Old Woman

[ In Reply To ..]
At most companies, PTO has replaced sick time, vacation time, and holiday pay and is used to cover those absences.

I had to use all mine to pay my bills, since - MT pay was so dismally low.

[ In Reply To ..]
Then they made a new rule where if you didn't produce a certain number of lines per hour (impossible on their lousy software), you got your PTO cut in half. I'm glad I'm not an MT anymore.

Not to mention Cobra was implemented if you did not get your FT line count! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Some companies were deducting from your paycheck if you had mistakes also. They degrade you because they can. Greedy MTSOs and they find ways to take and make the most for their profits at the MT's expense. This has been going on for years. Sick pay, vacation pay, holiday pay, and seniority used to be benefits for the dedicated worker, and an incentive that made a difference in who you wanted to work for. The Federal Government provides 10 paid holidays. This should be across the board, and if one has to work the holiday, then they should be compensated...should be a new law, especially when a company is making profits. The law should be that it goes back to the employees and not the CEOs.

PTO - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
This is very commonplace, even for non-MT jobs. Your total PTO time should be enough to include the holidays as well as vacation time.

When I worked for a large MTSO, I got 5 days of total a year, which just covered all the normal holidays - no other vacation or PTO at all! Of course I had to work some of those holidays, so I guess I ended up with a little time off. Good thing I wasn't sick during that time!

Thankfully, the company I am with now gives 15 days total, so 5 holidays as well as two weeks of vacation / personal / sick days.

PTO - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Oops, 6 holidays and the rest PTO. I do have to work 3 holidays at my current job, so I actually end up with 12 days off.

Similar Messages:

Can Someone Suggest A Company That Hires IC? I Can't Work For A Company That Offers Insurance.
Feb 17, 2014

Xx ...

Min Wage Paid By MT Company
Oct 14, 2013

I was told last year when I worked (briefly) for an MT company that we had to clock out if we had an out of work situation because, technically, we were employees of that company which meant we had to be paid never less than min wage. Now I find myself working for that same company again, and a bunch of us are just about to get our first production pay checks from them, and I want to know if everyone out there who is pay by production at an MT company is getting paid AT LEAST min wage? I mean, i ...

Need Help, Former Company Has Not Paid My Last Two Checks
Oct 28, 2013

I recently lost my job due to them losing all of their clients. They have not paid me for my last two checks and they are stating that they don't have the money because the clinic did not pay them, but that they would pay me when they had the money. Today when I emailed them to get an update I got an automated response saying this email is no longer valid because the company was closed. I just want to know if there is anything I can do to get my money out of them or will it end up costin ...

I Want To Find A Different Company, But My Fear Is That MQ Will Only Swallow That Company
Jul 15, 2011

up and I'd be back at square one, making no more than their "maximums."  I wonder, are this new maximum pay going to stay the same (or lower)?  I mean, in 5 or 10 years (if we are still here) will it be the same?  Or less?  I think so. ...

On Company Board, Under Post You Quit A Company
Sep 11, 2011

what's going on? ...

I Have Tried Contacting The Mods About This Company That Has Not Paid
Dec 08, 2014

me yet.  They are a week late.  I will be saying the name if this company does not have my pay to me by TOMORROW.  I have an attorney, but I want to let the mods know I will name names if I do not hear from them quick.   ...

What Would Be An Ideal Company? I Would Like To Build That Company.
Mar 31, 2010

We are a pretty big company, and we think we know what transcriptionists want, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  There are a lot of top people in our industry that are finding themselves without jobs, often without notice, both managers and transcriptionists.  I think that the tide is turning, and that we need to make sure that we treat our people right, so if you could take a few minutes and answer this, maybe we can make a difference.  I am asking for real answers, ones that ar ...

I Wanted To Add A Company To The Bad Company List And
Apr 21, 2012

one to stay away from.  Integrity.  They test you, claim they are checking your references and then when you email asking if they got hold of the references, crickets.  Not a word from them.  This has been a few weeks, too.  If they are this rude just during the recruiting process, I hate to think what working for them would be like. ...

MDOfficeManager (company) - Anyone Have Information On This Company?
Aug 31, 2014

Has anyone heard of a company called MDOfficeManager?  I was interested but I do not like the way they require SSN and other personal information up front before allowing the applicant to proceed with other parts of the application, including online tests.  I have heard there are fake websites for job applications.  Thanks. ...

Nuance... Bad Company Or Worst Company Ever.
May 15, 2015

Some days are more aggravating than others with this company.   ...

How Do I Look Up A Company On The Company Board?
Nov 09, 2009

I'm trying to do research on some companies before applying.  Can anyone tell me how to do this or if it is possible to do this yet on MTStars?  Also if you know of other web sites that are good for this type of research, that would be helpful as well. ...

I Checked Posts And A Lot Of Messages Said This Company Paid "above Average" ...sm
Jul 02, 2012

so I applied ...... 7-1/2 cpl ST, 3-1/2 for VR.  Sigh.   In 1982, I made 10 cpl for a gross line.  I realize those days are long gone, but soon I will be flipping hamburgers. ...

Looking For A VR Company
Nov 02, 2009

I have never done straight typing, my first MT job was with VR (even though I didn't even know they had stuff like that, LOL) now I love it and I am looking for some VR companies that are good to work for. If anyone could point me in the direction of some companies.  Thanks so much ahead of time ...

Looking For A Company With No ASR And All USA
Nov 18, 2009

I have over 30 years in this field and it seems that a lot of companies are either cutting the MT's pay to edit on ASR and/or are offshoring work out to India, Pakistan, Philippines, etc.  I don't believe in sending our jobs overseas, and I've also given ASR at whirl (a long whirl lol) and I still couldn't increase my lines per hour to compensate for the cut in pay that I had to take by doing ASR.  So what I'm looking for is a company that does not do ASR, do ...

MT #1 Company
Feb 04, 2010

Im wondering, MQ is supposed to be the #1 MT company, biggest, Spheris is supposed to be #2, the other company I also work for is #4...what company is the #3?  Does anyone know? ...

MD-IT - Anything About This Company?
Mar 16, 2010

Has anyone ever heard anything about this company?  I have tried a search, but have come up with nothing.  I have job posting automatically sent to my email for at home transcriptionists and they always seem to be hiring.  Anything all will be helpful. ...

Any Company Use IME
Apr 09, 2010

Does anyone know of any companies hiring that use IME's?  ...

What Do You Look For In A Company?
May 14, 2010

I will begin my job search in a few short months after graduating from M-Tec. Reading the company board has been an experience with all the negativity, but everyone has different experiences with a company and entitled to their opinion. My question is what do people look for in a company in the current market? How do you know if a company is a good fit for you? What would you consider a "red-flag" that would make you turn away from a company? No this isn't a school assignment or anything ...

Can The Company Do This?
Oct 19, 2010

The company I work for hired me as full time 1000 lines with benefits.  3 months later they changed their policies to 1200 lines anything under no benefits.  Also we can not work over 40 hours.  How can they pay me by line but then tell me how many hours I can work?  I don't work hourly.  I love transcription but I've been with 2 companies in the last year and can't meet all their requirements to get benefits.  Is this normal?  I used to work fo ...

How Does Your Company ...
Oct 28, 2010

Wondering how most companies assess for employees' quality on an ongoing basis.  ? ...

Anybody Ever Try This Company?
Mar 17, 2011

Anybody ever hear of Transcription Matchmakers?  You mail in your resume and they match you up with the company that's right for you.  ...

Company Is Going To VR.
Apr 20, 2011

I've not worked with it and was wondering how much money I'll lose with this and what others think of it.  ...

What Would You Do If Your Company
May 20, 2011

Would you be able to perform at that level?  I'm sure there are some of you that say you consistently produce 100% quality and at least 400 lines an hour.  I'm not talking to you.  How about the regular MTs out there?  Are there any companies that require this?  Is it even attainable with the subjective nature of this job?  How about if all of your accounts are ESLs and your pay gets docked if you send more than 1 document a day to the QA department?  ...

Is There A Company Out There
Nov 26, 2011

that doesn't skew lines, lie to its MTs about it, pays a decent rate, has an MT-friendly platform, doesn't outsource, usually has a good workload, respects its MTs?  I'm so angry at having my lines cut and being lied to about it I'm moving on, but I fear anywhere I go it's going to be the same thing.  Are there any good companies out there anymore? ...

Looking For New Company
Jan 11, 2012

Hi all. I've been an MT for over 20 years. The company I currently work for has ridiculous policies and we are docked for mistakes. I've also been on night shift for 2 years and would really like to work days. I know no place is perfect, but I would like some opinions from you about where you work, and if you are relatively happy with your company. Thanks!!! ...

I Only Had 1 Day Off-and Now A New Company Name??
Jan 25, 2012

I cannot get into email to find out what is going on.  This job is crazy! ...

You Know What I Would Do If I Ran This Company
Feb 16, 2012

I would take some of the files from the bad dictators, and show them what ASR prints out and how stupid they actually sound on the tapes..This crap is crazy.. ...

Company Buy-out Changes
Mar 19, 2012

I am not provoking any type of argument here, but I am sincerely in the dark about this.  I recently started working for a company and, in the last few days, rumor has it that the company might be bought by a larger company.  My question is, will this affect me at all??  If so, what ways? Thanks! ...

Anybody Need New Company??
Aug 03, 2012

Well, it seems as if the outsource bug has hit again. I don't know how my hospital transcription department managed to stay intact for so many years but we are officially being given the boot in 2 weeks. Anyways, if you are looking for another company to switch to, Mediscribes (based out of Louisville, KY) is taking over but their pay really sucks; hence, why I am not taking the job. We are a very large health group and if you get this account and run out of work I would be very surprised. ...

Does Anybody Know A Company
Aug 26, 2012

I am currently working with Nuance and I am sick of the crappy VR and making no money.  Does anybody know any company that does not use VR? ...