A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Convincing Boss to Let Me Work At Home - Jen

Posted: Feb 05, 2012

I have been doing MT work for over 10 years now. I worked from home for a while and loved it. Circumstances changed, so I now drive an hour each way to a hospital, spending about 350 a month just for gas, not to mention excessive oil changes, tire rotations, etc. due to mileage! Let's factor in that I just now found out I'm expecting my first child (at age 37...please pray for me!! LOL) and can expect in my area to pay around 400 a month for daycare. So, we're at 750 a month just for gas and daycare. I've been trying to convince my boss to let me work from home to save these expenses, as I'm a single mom-to-be and every bit will help tremendously. A majority of my work hours are on the weekends, when I work three weekends per month at 12-13 hours each day, and daycare is impossible to find for weekends.  I've pointed out to my boss that  while the other ladies in the department may fuss initially because they want to work from home too, they will be glad to know that I will continue to take all those weekends if I can work from home. Nobody wants to go back on weekend rotations.  Also, my time off when I have the baby will be shorter, putting the department under less strain. It also opens up another computer portal in the office, should they need to hire additional employees in the future. Has anyone else had to convince their bosses to let them work at home and if so, did you come up with any really good convincing reasons that actually worked? So far, they aren't budging. I know they value me, as I am a really high producer and they've told me how much they appreciate my work. I just REALLY need to go home! And I know working at home with a new baby won't be easy, but at least I'm already comfortable with the work here and it's a very laidback office so if I needed to clock out and tend to baby, it wouldn't be an issue.  Any ideas appreciated!

work at home - BBMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I want to tell you what I hear:

I want special treatment but don't feel the others in the department deserve it.

I can work at the same time I caregive to an infant.

I want to open a computer portal and will unknowingly be offering my replacement a spot.

Many MTs have decided to work at home because they are pregnant. How you truly expect to work 12+ hours and take care of a baby is beyond me. You need at least ONE hand to transcribe.

So, if I were you and I wanted to be considered for working at home, I'd leave out anything about saving you time or money, anything about child-rearing, anything about the others in your department, and anything about opening a computer portal in-house.

I'd stress things like higher productivity, more availability, better attendance, etc.

Good luck.

Not what I asked. - Jen

[ In Reply To ..]
I have already pointed out those things to the powers that be..that I would be available more, etc. And this is especially important in my department as we flip back and forth so much with being either totally dead or really busy. I in no way feel or have implied that my coworkers do not deserve to work from home, as well. I love the ladies I work with and I personally think the whole dept should be working from home since regular transcriptionists in our hospital work from home(we are radiology). I didn't ask for criticism, only for ideas that others have used in being able to work from home. Thanks for the input, but that's not what I asked for. Seriously I get so sick of this board being so full of grumpy rude people who are so eager to throw out an opinion without being the least bit helpful. I don't know why I even bother anymore.

Numbers - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope some of the following might help, as I have been exactly where you are now.

If you can calculate numbers that sometimes helps. For example, if they send the department home to work they could save "X" in freeing up the office space you currently use (especially if they lease it), less days called in sick, higher productivity, etc. When they see the dollar signs it can perk things up a bit. Unfortunately nobody cares about the benefits for us to work from home, they need to see how it benefits them.

As for communication (if they have concerns about that) there are wonderful ways to still have department meetings and keep everybody "together". We had them once a month in a conference room at the hospital. There are also great sites, such as Go To Meeting, that can help keep everyone informed and feel like part of the team. We also started our own private forum through our company's intranet where we could talk with each other daily.

I wish you the best of luck! I really hope it works out for you.

I didn't hear what you heard - ...

[ In Reply To ..]
We all have the right to seek the gig we want. If the OP can make a case that she can be as productive at home, more power to her!

I had a hybrid job, where I worked at home as well as on site. (Until they went with Dragon, of course.)

no way you can work a 12 hour shift with a baby - no way

[ In Reply To ..]
There is just no way. You have no idea what you are talking about. You will not be able to do both. IMPOSSIBLE. I would ask about going home, but you will absolutely need a babysitter there. TRUST ME. Even a 2 hour shift would be hard, especially after age 1. Toddlers need attention NONSTOP. You just dont know what you dont know (being your first kid).

SORRY.

I did exactly that, and it worked for me - - NYMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course I was married, and that helped some because some of my work I did in the evening after my hubby came home, but during the day I hired a mother's helper, and she cared for my two year old and my newborn while I was working. She didn't need as much pay because I was there too. I was able to nurse the baby when she was hungry, and my two year old was able to come and go to reassure himself I was there. The mother's helper did a really good job, and I was able to go back to work two weeks after my daughter was born.

They are now 20 and 22, and never had to have me gone when they were sick, I never had to scramble for babysitters when there was a snow day. I heartily support what you want to do. Good luck. I know this didn't answer your questions, but I want you to know it CAN work!

Work From Home with Children - SP

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely worked for me..granted you have to be flexible with your hours but I started at home when I was pregnant with my 3rd child and would not change a minute of it...not to say its not hard at times but was so worth it!
Work From Home With Children - Mom of 6
[ In Reply To ..]
I have a woman working for me from home now with a new baby. I must say it may be working for her, but it is not working for me. As a working mother myself, I am very understanding and am really trying to work with her. However, I am getting the short end of the stick - as is the client.

As a first time mom she did not really understand the demands of a new baby, and it has begun to jeopardize her position. She recently had to hire someone to come in and babysit while she is working. I am not sure how that is working for her financially. I am still trying to give her an opportunity, but I must say I am not sure this is going to work out.

Your employer is going to have to be VERY flexible with your time and production if it is going to be a mutually satisfying situation...just saying.

It is possible to work from home but I am not sure you can't do it alone with a young baby. Hope this helps you in considering all aspects of this situation before you make a proposal to you employer. Best wishes to you.

Work From Home With Children - Mom of 6 - transcript guy
[ In Reply To ..]
I've had a girl work at home for me also and on her last trimester of her pregnancy, she became less present at work and after her birthing, I hardly ever heard from her again. After the birth of my first child, I realized why. It's very hard to maintain a work-at-home job and manage an infant as the infant requires most of your time, and affection. I would recommend to anyone expecting kids, to take some time off from work and manage things accordingly. it would be better for yourself and your employer - least your employer can put things in place to have their work done.

I did it with two under 3 yo. - MamaBear

[ In Reply To ..]
I managed it before and after I had kids. I was working when my water broke. I didn't even take a maternity leave AND I had postpartum depression and nursed. I am woman, hear me roar. LOL

thots - sigher

[ In Reply To ..]
My coworker orchestrated a work-from-home situation for herself (and others followed - me included). I think it was due to simple persistence. I can't ask her how she did it (she quit a few years ago) but my thought is talking to your IT department and see if they can help you work out the details, THEN go to your supervisor. Maybe suggest it could be on a "we'll see how it goes" basis and if it doesn't work out, you'll work inhouse again. good luck

working at home with kids - 4 here - devilsadvocate

[ In Reply To ..]
It absolutely CAN be done working at home with an infant. I went to work at-home with my 1-month old daughter and haven't looked back since. You do have to realize (as any new parent does) it may require working on very little to no sleep and that you may have to work 12 hours just to do what you did in 8 before (btw, I also breastfed too). For those that say it "cannot be done," this is incorrect. I have FOUR (yes FOUR) kids at home and I have been working MT through 2 pregnancies, infancies, a house fire, reconstruction and now my mother's illness. It CAN be done. I have no help as far as helping you get your supervisor to agree but please don't let them tell you it can't be done! Good Luck!

Similar Messages:

Anyone Heard Of A Boss Or Boss Reamer?
Sep 06, 2011

Anyone heard of a boss or Boss reamer? Thanks in advance. ...

Undercover Boss
Jul 01, 2011

I would welcome the MQ CEO if he wanted to pretend to be a game show contestant and come to watch me work.   Wouldn't that be a learning experience! ...

Boss's Day Snub
Oct 21, 2012

I sent my manager an email wishing her a Happy Boss's day this week...never heard a peep. I guess it's too hard to get a simple thank you these days, but I did get several emails this weekend saying the queue was overflowing and they were getting behind. Since she ignored me, I ignored her. Guess they're not too busy when they want to get their bonus, right? ...

My Boss Just Told Me... Sm
Jul 18, 2013

that a "transcribers" job is to type what they hear and only what they hear, and that the doctors will be held accountable for their mistakes.  This made me laugh. ...

Boss's Day Tomorrow! If You've Got A Good One Let Them Know.
Oct 15, 2010

I know there aren't very many of you that probably like your boss enough to send them a gift, but if you DO happen to have a nice boss it wouldn't hurt to tell them so they don't become mean and cynical like the rest of them!  Employers like to hear it when they do a good job just as much as the employees do! ...

Osteoarthritis And S/l Boss To The Right Great Toe.
Feb 21, 2011

x ...

Undercover Boss ---- Idea :)
May 05, 2012

I think the CEO/managers at Nuance should do an Undercover Boss episode ...... wouldn't that be fun?  I don't think they would ever have the courage to do so though.  ...

I Wish The MT Industry Would Go On Undercover Boss
Jun 26, 2012

Wouldn't that be an eye-opener for some of these MTSOs?  ...

Bad Mouthing Previous Boss
Apr 16, 2013

Just found out that indeed my old boss is stating that I walked out and gave her no notice; which is NOT true... OMG... I'm speechless. ...

How Do You Deal With A Difficult Boss?
Aug 08, 2014

I have come to the conclusion that the "Boss" is a bully.  I am an IC but I say boss because that is how he comes across.  He is difficult to deal with and uses bully-like tactics to get what he wants.  I cannot be alone in this situation.  I am looking for advice and helpful tips on how to deal with the situation short of quitting.  Thanks! ...

Dear Undercover Boss
Apr 04, 2015

Please get the CEO of MM to work one of the MTs shifts for one of your shows. He would not last 1 minute.   ...

Did Anyone See The Show Undercover Boss Last Night?
Feb 08, 2010

Did anyone see the show Undercover Boss last night?  Do ya think the suits at MQ would do that - ha, never would be a consideration for them -- if any of them did see it, they probably laughed.  They don't realize and don't care to realize what we do to fill their pockets.  Bottom line for them is money in their pockets and the big bonuses they get for signing papers and closing those deals that don't benefit the MT at all -- the ones who are keeping the profit going for them. ...

Constant Use Of Profanity By A Boss At My Company?
Feb 14, 2010

I have a supervisor at my company who constantly uses profanity when I speak to her on the phone, and constantly bashes MTs and other employees, so I'm sure she bashes me to others as well.   She even does this on conference calls.  I am always shocked at this behavior each and every time she does it. I find this so unprofessional and it makes me very uncomfortable, but I don't want to tell the owner/HR person.  It makes the company look bad.  How would you ha ...

I'd LOVE To See Vern On Undercover Boss! Nm
Aug 19, 2011

NM ...

Undercover Boss For Nuance And MModal
May 29, 2013

It would be great if the CEOs of these cheap miserly companies had to trade places with us worker bees for a week or two like on the TV show Undercover Boss and see how long they would last.  That would be an eye-opener.  ...

Wouldn't You Love To See MModal On Undercover Boss?
Feb 29, 2012

Boy wouldn't they get a rude awakening. ...

What Is A Metatarsal Boss? Not Finding Much Luck On Google
Apr 17, 2012

x ...

Watching Undercover Boss…
May 20, 2014

… something like that to happen to MTs (yeah, I know it will never happen, but I can dream can't I)! ...

Boss Let It Slip My Hospital Account Is Going To Electronic Record...
Jan 24, 2011

I've been at this midsized company for about 2 years.  As many as 50 of us work this large account.  I do acute care.  Would like to hear from anybody who's experienced this; how long till this severely (?) affects us?  Can you give me a play-by-play?  I figure the boss won't be telling us much of anything along the way.  ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

"Undercover Boss."
Sep 30, 2011

Have you guys seen that show on TLC where the CEO of a huge corporation works "undercover" in the stores with the "peons" to see what it's really like to work there? Last night it was the CEO of 7 Eleven. I was really impressed that he would do that - at least he seemed to CARE about improving conditions for his employees. I kept thinking how different the corporate culture is at MedQuist - and what it would be like if the MQ CEO did this show. Of course, he would never do it because he mig ...

Do You Ever Wonder How Many At-home MTs
Nov 16, 2010

take medication for depression/anxiety disorders? ...

Well, That Hit Home.
Jun 13, 2011

I just did a report that outlined, in great detail, something that my dad went through several years ago.  He died last year and I guess with father's day coming up I am just missing him a lot.  I think that was the hardest report I have ever done!  I stopped in the middle of it and just lifted that patient up in prayer and asked that his family not have to go through what mine did.  I miss my dad!!!! I had to stop working a few minutes early because I just can't st ...

At Home MTs -
Feb 09, 2012

What do your QA people actually do?  I have two jobs, as I've said before.  Both outsource pieces of their work and at both I wonder just what it is that the QA people do?  At both I really wonder how the MT even got their job at all but I really wonder what the QA people do! At the hospital, we send the op reports out, probably 60 a day.  They get done by a company owned by the former Q but they claim they're done in America.  Every day we come in to 50 of t ...

Anything Else To Do From Home?
Nov 26, 2012

Has anyone been successful in finding a non-MT job that can be done from home with benefits?  I'm at 14 years in MT, and just cannot do it anymore.  My daughter was sick this weekend, but of course I can't afford to put her on my insurance with what they charge and what I'm making these days.  This job has turned into a complete nightmare, really need to find something else to do. ...

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

HOME MAKEOVER
Dec 07, 2009

Did anyone see the home makeover with Ty Pennington Sunday night?  The makeover was for a medical transcriptionist.  She got a gorgeous house and the bank paid off her mortgage! ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Do Any At Home MTs Miss This...
Feb 09, 2010

I totally miss getting a huge snowstorm (like today in my area, 10 to 14 inches) and being able to call in to work to say "I can't make it in today... the roads are horrible" I am trying hard to concentrate on work today, but all I want to do is call in to work, go outside and build a huge snowman, then shovel a little, and come in and make a huge mug of hot chocolate and watch it snow.   LET IT SNOW!!!! ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...