A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

spending more time fixing demographics than transcribing - POORER THAN EVER

Posted: Jul 14, 2010

I signed up for college this fall to get a HIT degree and hopefully get out of transcription.

Seems I spend so much time looking up incorrect demographics, patient account numbers, etc., due to dictors entering the wrong information, and with the company I work for, it counts against us, YET we dont get paid to lookup demographics and fix errors, but its our responsbility.

I am finding this so frustrating and spending 9 hours a day to make barely 90 bucks.

Demographic: Free and time demanding/Tirade. - Tedem

[ In Reply To ..]
Over 30+ years experience: The change from hourly pay to line counts was because of "New" transcription platforms that provided lots of help to the scriber. Now I get paid at a 2-year experience level per line with a rather inferior, outdated transcription platform that does little for the scribe and with little tech support. Spending lots of time in the demo is not useful either...Waiting many minutes through "dead" dictation while Doc reads charts translates to mean the Scribe (US)is Paying for the doctor to read - while we lose line counts in the process. making little to survive here.

Similar Messages:

How Much Time Do You Spend On Demographics?
Apr 30, 2014

I have an account where the doctors never enter demographics. I'm spending 5 minutes on each report filling in demographics and cc's from doctors who only slur a last name.  Many partial doctor names need to be Googled.  If I do about 36 reports a day at 5 minutes each with demographic research then I'm spending 3 hours of my shift working for nothing!   How is it for the rest of you? ...

Anyone Else Spending More Time Punching In And Out Than Actually Working? Nm
Oct 10, 2012

.. ...

Sick To Death Of Spending Time Testing.
Dec 23, 2012

Why can't we do the test once (they seem to all be about the same) and have it posted somewhere centrally for these potential employers?  If you can't get footpedal to work with the transcription section it is a real time consumer and PITA. ...

Sick Of Spending So Much Time Reading Emails, Printing New Client Profiles, Sm
Apr 26, 2013

waiting for work, trying to figure out the protocol for no work, trying to figure out remedy, remembering all the different passwords, wondering if my time card is correct because I clock in and out so much on a daily basis!  I have never, ever been no nitpicked to death.  I feel like an unpaid prisoner in my own home.  My printer right now is just about smokin because of all the crap I have to print just to remember all this garbage!  MM = MICROMANAGEMENT!!!!!  I do bel ...

Fixing Every Other Word In ASR
Sep 22, 2010

Well their new update has sure messed up ASR.  I am fixing every other word. UGH! HATE THIS! ...

Fixing Clock Out
Jan 30, 2015

I clocked out later than my regular time because I lost internet.  How do you fix time on time sheet?  I appreciate any help.  Thank you. ...

Fixing Doctors Mistakes
Dec 27, 2011

I am so TIRED of fixing doctors mistakes constantly. I dont get paid for that.  I get paid to pound out reports per hour.  Instead so far today, my first 3 hours have been fixing reports, leaving notes to the hospital....line 10 blank..dr stated..., line 24 blank..dr stated, etc.  These guys have to take some responsibility for their dictation.  They are so messy and haphazard in their dictations.  It would be different if we were getting paid by the hour, I would not ha ...

Ex Fix, Ex-fix, Xfix As In Fixing Fractre Please
Mar 27, 2012

x ...

Filling In Demographics And All The
Oct 03, 2012

Exactly - Agreed Posted: Oct 2nd, 2012 - 10:39 pm In Reply to: FYI - Anonymousno one inhouse or outhouse pays for filling in demographics and it is quite plainly wrong when paid on a production basis - at least in America. We are not indentured servants but are heading there - if not already there - by working without being paid for all characters transcribed including demographics. The MTSOs just don't want to expend the money or effort to adjust the technology to count everything they ha ...

Anyone Else Having Problems With Demographics?
Oct 28, 2013

Canmot access database for Children's  Hospital Oakland.  Anyone else?  Other accounts okay. HMMMMM. ...

So If Demographics Aren't Important Enough For The
Jan 20, 2010

Why are we getting multiple e-mails about spending extra time on them because HIPAA is so important these days?    ...

Sloooowww MQ Mail, SLOOOWW Demographics.
Feb 25, 2010

It must be just me.  My CTL just informed me that she wasn't aware that our e-mail was so slow.  It takes me almost 10 minutes just to read my first e-mail of the day.  She wants us to check our e-mail three times daily.  That would be 30 minutes of my own "free time."  Personally, I prefer not to waste my transcription time as it counts against me when I do in my average hourly PTO which is fast dwindling to minimum wage (used to be $18/h).  Now I read on this ...

Split Jobs Not Bringing In Demographics
Dec 31, 2013

Anyone else having this problem?  ...

So.... How Are All Of You Going To Be Spending All That
Dec 01, 2013

extra holiday pay you earned for working on Thanksgiving?  Nuance is so generous, aren't they, to make you work and to compensate you so well for your time too?  (insert sarcasm).  Hope it wasn't too bad for you ladies (and gents).  Let's hope they let you take off Christmas.  ...

What Percentage Of Your Dictators Enter All Demographics Needed?
May 18, 2014

. ...

Spending My Raise This Morning
Apr 06, 2010

Walgreen's had hair color on sale for $1.99.  My raise will just about cover the cost of covering up the gray MQ has given me!!!!  ...

Pt With Depression. She Is Not Spending Money That She Does Not Have And Is Not Excessively S/l Fli
Nov 13, 2009

does flirtatious make sense in this sentence?  TIA ...

TTS - Pleasures Of Spending The Past 4 Months
Apr 03, 2013

The pleasures of spending the past 4 months being micromanaged at TTS has resulted in my leaving for greener or shall I say different pastures.  I actually am very glad I learned the eScription platform...it is a pleasure to use.  My account with TTS was a real plumb ripe for the picking...sweet and fast...really didn't have much trouble making 350 lph editing; however, despite hitting this line count, I barely made more than $10 an hour.  Well, this notwithstanding, I persisted working ...

Spending The Afternoon Crying My Eyes Out
Dec 04, 2014

Just so sick of the run-around by Nuance and the crappy speakers. Feel so trapped. ...

Webmedx - Hidden Charges In Health Spending Account
Dec 29, 2010

Today I get the paperwork from the HSA that we had the option to join for the new insurance.  Included is a bunch of tasks they want us to hurry up and do (which we cannot do since they have not given us insurance cards and their website won't let us register without numbers off the card).  Also included is an "account fee and rate schedule".  They get to charge us $15 to set up the account and $2.95 every month thereafter.  They say this "may" be paid by our employer (y ...

Annoyed. You Would Think With Spending A Good Deal Of Money On A Program That....
Nov 29, 2012

I thought that was the purpose in having a discussion board on the school site?! ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

When I Am Transcribing
May 06, 2010

that sound that sounds like an old-fashioned bicycle horn, you know the one with a bulb on it? ...

Transcribing From A DVD
May 12, 2010

I am going to receive 2 DVDs from a client containing focus group videos. I use Express Scribe for my clients. I have never transcribed a DVD and am wondering if there is a way to use Express Scribe for this. Researched this and found no helpful info. Has anyone done this, or is there another free program that I can use for this? Thanks. Lynn ...

Transcribing With VR
Feb 29, 2012

This might be considered controversial, but has any MT out there used a VR program to "transcribe" dictation instead of actually using a keyboard to transcribe?  So I am not misunderstood, I'll be very literal here:  As the MT, you listen to the dictation and instead of typing it out, you speak what you are hearing into a VR program on your computer to produce the "transcribed" report.  I can't be the only one out here who has thought of this and the only reason I can co ...

Need Help Transcribing
Feb 05, 2013

Physician says "abdomen soft; non-tender; non-distended; no "rawls" - how is this "rawls" supposed to be spelled out? Thanks in advance! - sam ...

Are We All OOW Because The QCs Are Transcribing Now?
Feb 26, 2015

I wouldn't put anything past them. It might even get worse when the QCs start receiving production pay. ...

Transcribing
Apr 21, 2015

I'm sorry, I need to blow off some steam and perhaps those who have their own accounts could shed some light.  I have been an MT for a very long time and in the past, what an MT did was TRANSCRIBE.  We didn't follow account specs or change sentences, etc.  Why has the MT industry come to this and why do the MTSO owners agree to this?  I don't mind at all fixing broken English, because I understand that process, but changing what a doctor says, because it's ...

QC Transcribing
Apr 22, 2015

Is there any way to find the QC ID# to see if they are transcribing on my account?  Just wondering because there were apparently a large number of people transcribing on my acct in the last few hours yet when I come on to work there is no work.  Just wondering. ...

Transcribing An Appendectomy
Feb 06, 2010

Doctor dictates:  "The small bowel was viable.  The * were carefully inspected and felt to be entirely viable." It sounds like:  The area condition zones??? were carefully inspected and felt to be entirely viable. Thanks for any help! ...