A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Webmedx - hidden charges in Health Spending Account - no communication as usual

Posted: Dec 29, 2010

Today I get the paperwork from the HSA that we had the option to join for the new insurance.  Included is a bunch of tasks they want us to hurry up and do (which we cannot do since they have not given us insurance cards and their website won't let us register without numbers off the card).  Also included is an "account fee and rate schedule".  They get to charge us $15 to set up the account and $2.95 every month thereafter.  They say this "may" be paid by our employer (yeah, like they "may" contribute to our 401k and never do!).

I am furious that these charges were never even HINTED at during their uncoordinated, confusion ridden, rushed benefits sign up period.  They gave us neither enough time or enough information to make informed choices.  Now those of us who opted for this are locked into the amount we calculated to contribute for an entire year.  It would have been VERY HELPFUL to be shown a fee schedule BEFORE we were forced to make a decision so we could have adjusted our contributions accordingly (or chosen not to pay a bank $3 a month for something that used to be free with traditional medical spending accounts).

Again, the communication ball was dropped.  It feels like Webmedx is dedicated to finding ways of causing their MTs to lose money - but selling us a product with hidden costs is a new low.  For SHAME!

What did you expect from Webquist? nm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

webquist.... Bwwaaaahhhh ha ha ha - that is too funny

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Frankly, I dunno - no communication as usual

[ In Reply To ..]
Guess I was conned into feeling they were actually thinking of their employees and giving us a choice to spend more or spend less on insurance. Didn't realize my "choice" came with arbitrary fees that I was unable to budget for because I was not aware of their existance. That grinds my gears. Wonder how much kickback on these "maintenance fees" they'll get from the bank. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Let me get this straight. - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
There is a fee from the company that manages the HSA account. That amount is less than 3 bucks a month and you were "unable to budget for it." Three bucks a month is going to send your budget into a tailspin? Seriously now.

It would have been nice to know to add $50/year - in hidden fees at signup
[ In Reply To ..]
We were forced to give a figure for how much we wanted deducted for this spending account without the proper information. Add their maintenance fee to the account set up fee of $15, that's $50 I should have added to the yearly figure - and certainly would have had I known. So now $50 of what I earmarked for my medical spending isn't going to go there if I stick with this bank or can't find another with a better deal. Maybe YOU only work for spending money - I'm the sole breadwinner with no safety net. I find sneering at the cost inappropriate here - if we are to be told the cost of our insurance we should be told the ENTIRE cost, not one figure at sign-up time and additional fees added after we are locked into it. It just isn't right. Its deceptive. Maybe small deceptions don't bother YOU. They bother me, because they add up.

Well, I did a little reading (during the meeting actually) - Pragmatist

[ In Reply To ..]
and confirmed that we could set up our HSA in the institution of our choice. Further of note, interest rates tend to be higher on HSA accounts than normal savings accounts. Something to look into. As balances grow (fingers crossed), they can also be rolled over into securities for hopefully higher returns (*see note below).

You know, setup and maintenance fees until a certain balance is reached may not be QUITE as unreasonable as you're assuming, although I too want them waived. Many people will not be able to maintain a reasonable minimum balance as their bills suck the tax-free money out as fast as it comes in.

In any case, since handling our affairs is, as always, our own job, I did my research and assume I'll establish mine with a credit union we've done business with for years--unless I find a better interest rate elsewhere.

* HSA's were agreed on between the parties as a vehicle, even though the current administration opposed them initially, because they work beautifully as a tax dodge for those looking for more places to put their money. Remember the rep saying her physician and attorney clients all put the annual max in? In any case, that means they are set up to benefit those who fortunate enough to be able to accumulate funds this way.

BY THE WAY, EVERYONE: Find out how to make as much of your health care as possible appear on the books as preventative care. Visits, treatments, and procedures agreed to be considered and paid as preventative are covered 100%. We need to work with our doctors to maximize this category of coverage and even find a new doc if the old one isn't knowledgeable enough about these new regulations or helpful enough. We're talking potentially some big money here. As I'm writing this, I've decided to start my new year off with an annual physical exam (covered 100%), with some time requested for discussion of this issue. Better now than after a problem pops up.

Thanks pragmatist - lack of communication as usual

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you keep us posted if payroll gives you any hassle about directing the money to a place other than their bank of choice, since they have given us absolutely no forms or procedure by which to do so.

You're welcome. My bank has all the forms needed, - though. These are OUR accounts. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Insurance fraud??? - Just sayin. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Oh please. Fraud? I love it how words like that just get tossed around - on these boards. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Webbie and insurance setup - Not a webbie but concerned

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not a webbie but I work for another company and we recently were rushed through an insurance set-up, too. I did not dare not do it (I am a single mom) but it was done so quickly that I did have much time to review, etc. Why does it have to be this way?

At Webmedx they gave us plenty of time to review the info... - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
and make an informed decision. Also, our HR dept was available for phone calls and questions etc.

Personally, I was impressed with the packet of information we received. Thought it was better than last year. I thought it was well put-together. I am a Webbie MT and have no gripes.

time to review? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Geeeshh i got the packet, and could not listen in on to the phone message. Kept waiting for the promised post of the phone call, which took about a week, then from that time there was only I believe about 1 more week before making our choices, and this was during Christmas time as well! I have to say I was glad they gave us choices, but I felt pressured and short on time and went with the traditional.
Horrible choice - I agree
[ In Reply To ..]
Ah, to choose paying $9000/yr (family of 4) for virtually nothing but the ability to go to the doctor for a $30 co-pay and some other lids on costs ($3000 deductible $10,000 OOP) OR to go with the $7000/yr sounds-like-a-nightmare-figuring-it-out, I-can't-afford-to-save-anything-so-it-might-as-well-all-come-off-my-taxes-with-the-other-one. Not a real choice for me, I also chose the traditional one. The question is with $200 a week in insurance premiums, for which you virtually get handed bill, bill, bill at the end of it, why does anyone think this health insurance system is so great? I can only imagine it is the ones who pay zero or much less. Who can I sue to explain to them that for $9000/yr I should get everything after that free, hunh? Ridiculous.
As a qualifier, I should say that WMX coverage - is better than most
[ In Reply To ..]
I was to the point of interviewing with another MTSO when things were a little shaky and I was aghast to find that their premiums were even higher and offered even less. So I have no complaint with WMX, they did negotiate us the best plan they could and they do give you heaps of support, with a few phone numbers to call for info, nurse line, etc.

You must be kidding or - work at a different Wmx

[ In Reply To ..]
Plenty of time would have been a month. Adequate time would have been about 2 1/2 weeks. Not one week during the holidays. Definitely not adequate time to review ALL the change ups in our health, vision and dental.

Since when has our HR department EVER picked up a phone or returned a phone call? They certainly ignore mine - I usually have to email repeatedly and go over people's heads just to get an answer at all.

Let me guess - you're on hubby's cheaper, better insurance so none of this actually affects you at all, am I right?
HR - replies
[ In Reply To ..]
I've always received a timely response from HR via email, which I prefer to phone calls so I can save the information. Also, I agree we were given enough time to review the information. I researched my choices and made a decision with time to spare, so I don't know...maybe you're a procrastinator?? Just sayin'
The procrastinators are in HR - my experience differs
[ In Reply To ..]
HR missed their own deadlines for getting us the information REPEATEDLY and had to keep pushing them back, yet you suggest I am the procrastinator here? They sent us a bale of paperwork to read through and decipher (on our OWN time of course) and threatened us with NO insurance at all if we missed THEIR deadline. I don't appreciate pressure tactics like these during the holidays. There is no reason they can't have this stuff to us right after Thanksgiving next year - hope the suits take the hint! There is no reason they can't give us a comparison sheet of what we had vs what we are being offered next to simplify the process. There is no reason they can't disclose the ENTIRE cost of an offered product prior to demanding our decision.
I'll bite. Please tell me what company pays their employees... - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
...to read through benefit information.

When you gripe that HR:

"sent us a bale of paperwork to read through and decipher (on our OWN time of course)"

...that sounds ridiculous. So, you are saying the company was supposed to somehow track the time it took the employees to read benefit information and pay everyone for their time? Give me a break.

Similar Messages:

Webmedx New Account In News
Feb 11, 2011

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewiStockNews/articleid/4880930 ...

If You Were Laid Off By Webmedx, Have You Had Recent Health Problems? Sm
Sep 03, 2010

Trying to figure out what thread those who were laid off might have in common. Hopefully, for Webmedx's sake, they wouldn't be so foolish for this to be the common thread, but it's worth checking into. ...

Webmedx - Is Your Account Suddenly Drying Up?
Oct 29, 2010

Question for those of you who have been lucky enough to have had work through all of this time.  Is your account suddenly drying up?  Mine is.  I am quite sure they are taking it and giving it to the people with no work.  So now we can all sit around and have NOTHING to type.  Why in God's name did they not lay off more people if there is not enough to go around?  Where is the logic?  This is what these brilliant minds get paid 6 figures to do?  ...

Webmedx Account Manager Update
Mar 11, 2011

Sounds ominous to me at least...account manager update conference call Monday, I know people from at least 2 STMs got this message. Holding my breath! I really like my STM, not crazy about the rest of the higher ups though! ...

Command Health - Interview With Them Today For An SR Oncology Account
Jan 08, 2014

I have an interview with them today for an SR Oncology account. Can anyone tell me how their SR platform is? ...

So.... How Are All Of You Going To Be Spending All That
Dec 01, 2013

extra holiday pay you earned for working on Thanksgiving?  Nuance is so generous, aren't they, to make you work and to compensate you so well for your time too?  (insert sarcasm).  Hope it wasn't too bad for you ladies (and gents).  Let's hope they let you take off Christmas.  ...

ICing: "Hidden" Costs
Dec 30, 2009

While I'm a veteran MT and former MTSO, I just had my first experience as an IC.  No doubt some here are veteran ICs who have already learned about what I have dubbed "hidden" costs.  I am posting this in the hopes that it helps some other newbies to ICing who, like me, are looking for extra work because they need the income.  During my initial phone interview, the manager of the company told me, "All you need is Windows XP, MS Word, Excel, an expander&nb ...

EMR Charges
Feb 21, 2010

Has anyone else noticed an EMR charge on their bill from their doctor's office?  My son went to the doctor the other day and when he brought home his receipt it was a nicely printed out list of all charges for his past few visits.  I picked it up to look at it and was amused, to say the least, every visit has a $10 charge for EMR.  So that's how they are paying for the nifty little hand-held computers they are using when they are in the exam room with you???  Made m ...

Transcription Charges
Nov 04, 2010

I work in an extremely busy ortho office.  i had major problems for about 3 weeks with a new computer.  So, we're trying to get some help for about 2 weeks to get me caught up  We found one girl who charges 15cents a line plus 8 cents for PRN - bringing it to 23 cents a line.  Is this the norm????  thanks! ...

Error Charges?
May 16, 2011

I am in the process of reviewing an IC contract that states, "Contractor will be charged and deducted for errors found by Company at a rate of $0.25 per error." Are "error charges" a standard in the industry for independent contractors. I am brand new to MT, but this is something that I have not heard anything about, at all. ...

Charges We Should Be Making-
Jul 02, 2014

As I am working on V-Wreck so much, I have come to the conclusion that I should add "miracle work- 20 cpl" as most of these words need a miracle to make a report!!! ...

Spending My Raise This Morning
Apr 06, 2010

Walgreen's had hair color on sale for $1.99.  My raise will just about cover the cost of covering up the gray MQ has given me!!!!  ...

Error Charges? Update
May 17, 2011

Received clarification from the company below. My question is: If it is extremely rare that these charges are ever made, why is it in the contract to begin with? "This section applies specifically to errors that are considered excessive. That would be errors that have been corrected numerous times and still continue to be made by the MT even after several corrections. This also refers to errors which are made and NOT marked for review for our QA staff. This does not apply during the p ...

Question About Transcription Charges
Jul 31, 2011

can anyone give me an idea of how much an seasoned transcriptionist should charge to type IME's  Charging by the hour is kind of hard because you really don't know how much work you are going to get whereas it seems like charging per page would be better.......I could be wrong but I would like some of your opinions.  Thanks. ...

What Nuance Charges For Insurance
Jan 29, 2014

Does anybody know what nuance charges for insurance, parent/child or family?   TIA! ...

Dictaphone Billing Charges
May 05, 2014

Hello, Can anyone give me any updated information on charging a client for dictation? What is the average way to charge a physician? - is it per straight line? - based on a 55 to 65 character per line count, and if so, what is the industry standard? - has anyone every charged per audio minute, and if so, what is the standard charge? - what are some hosted server platforms that any of you have used to route dictation? - and other than Olympus digital dictation, what would you ...

Pt With Depression. She Is Not Spending Money That She Does Not Have And Is Not Excessively S/l Fli
Nov 13, 2009

does flirtatious make sense in this sentence?  TIA ...

Anyone Else Spending More Time Punching In And Out Than Actually Working? Nm
Oct 10, 2012

.. ...

TTS - Pleasures Of Spending The Past 4 Months
Apr 03, 2013

The pleasures of spending the past 4 months being micromanaged at TTS has resulted in my leaving for greener or shall I say different pastures.  I actually am very glad I learned the eScription platform...it is a pleasure to use.  My account with TTS was a real plumb ripe for the picking...sweet and fast...really didn't have much trouble making 350 lph editing; however, despite hitting this line count, I barely made more than $10 an hour.  Well, this notwithstanding, I persisted working ...

Spending The Afternoon Crying My Eyes Out
Dec 04, 2014

Just so sick of the run-around by Nuance and the crappy speakers. Feel so trapped. ...

Kudos To Me For Challenging Doctor's Charges
Sep 18, 2013

The other day I came on here to really just rant some about the high cost of an office visit with a physician who saw me for about 10 minutes and charged my insurance company $300.00+. I felt the charges out of line and really gouging. I am not alone in posting about high insurance rates, high medical costs and charges such as the one my insurance incurred and in the same vein as far as I am concerned. That did not keep others from coming on here and thinking I was wrong about what I said and I ...

Spending More Time Fixing Demographics Than Transcribing
Jul 14, 2010

I signed up for college this fall to get a HIT degree and hopefully get out of transcription. Seems I spend so much time looking up incorrect demographics, patient account numbers, etc., due to dictors entering the wrong information, and with the company I work for, it counts against us, YET we dont get paid to lookup demographics and fix errors, but its our responsbility. I am finding this so frustrating and spending 9 hours a day to make barely 90 bucks. ...

Sick To Death Of Spending Time Testing.
Dec 23, 2012

Why can't we do the test once (they seem to all be about the same) and have it posted somewhere centrally for these potential employers?  If you can't get footpedal to work with the transcription section it is a real time consumer and PITA. ...

Annoyed. You Would Think With Spending A Good Deal Of Money On A Program That....
Nov 29, 2012

I thought that was the purpose in having a discussion board on the school site?! ...

MTSO Claimin To Have US MT's But Only Charges Clients 6 Cents Per Line
Dec 10, 2009

Has anyone heard of a company called North American Transcription Company.  They claim to have all US MT's but they only charge clients 6 cents per line.  How is this possible? ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Sick Of Spending So Much Time Reading Emails, Printing New Client Profiles, Sm
Apr 26, 2013

waiting for work, trying to figure out the protocol for no work, trying to figure out remedy, remembering all the different passwords, wondering if my time card is correct because I clock in and out so much on a daily basis!  I have never, ever been no nitpicked to death.  I feel like an unpaid prisoner in my own home.  My printer right now is just about smokin because of all the crap I have to print just to remember all this garbage!  MM = MICROMANAGEMENT!!!!!  I do bel ...

Could Anyone Who Has An HRA (health Reimbursement Arrangement) Type Of Health Care
May 04, 2010

tell me how that works?  I know the insurance premiums are less than a regular health plan.  If your  company puts 500 in your account, does that mean the first few times, for example, until you use up the 500, you don't pay ANYTHING or is it the opposite...you pay the entire office visit cost until you reach that 500?  I would be so grateful for any information about this type of plan.  TIA ...

I Am So Sick Of Bouncing Around From Account To Account
Nov 07, 2012

What a flippin joke. Didnt Amy say she was going to keep us in 1 account????   OMG, I have done evey account in my BOB this morning as well as some other Bob. I cant keep my head on straight anymore. It is spinning like a top. My production is down to minimum and I am at risk of being fired for not meeting production because some idiot decides to open the cesspool!   GO CCMs! GET YOUR 100% TAT... SCREW THE REST OF US. ...

Don't Forget, You Will Be QA'd On Each Account, That Could Account
Jun 08, 2015

.... I read notes below to this effect. Oh, and don't forget to NOT count QC lines and scores when you calculate your QA score on FIESA.   ...or just ignore it altogether.    ...