A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MT pay versus what Nuance charges per line for hospital reports - Saphyre

Posted: Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English outside of the US?   *insert laughter here*  Does Nuance sign contracts with that in it or is that their standard line?

On a completely different note - are there any companies who hire for strictly radiology, pathology or autopsies that anyone has heard about? 

Any insight would be greatly appreciated :) 

I could not guess, but - Poor as can be

[ In Reply To ..]
I would guess that when VR started and we were told they needed to be competitive (implying they were charging the hospitals less for the work), that they just cut our pay and charge the same amount for the work, regardless if it is straight type or VR.

I used to charge just under 1 cent per WORD when I had private accounts...so I would guess that 20 cents a line is probably close.

The VA account I worked paid 21 cpl - Bigs exploit MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
Do American MTs a favor and do not work for the N and M pariah maggots who are actively pursuing ways to annihilate MTs while still charging the he$$ out of healthcare systems.

My theory is Nuance is competitive and - under bids other companies

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance pays us way low as a result but there is Nuance money to be made on headers, signatures, dates, etc, that we do not get paid for and the hospital gets charged for.

I do not know this for sure but a company has to bid to get a hospital contract to do their dictation and hospitals usually go with the lowest bidder.

believe it or not - Snow Bunny (the original)

[ In Reply To ..]
About 12-13 cpl. I kid you not.

I know this for a fact: - In 1996, our clinic

[ In Reply To ..]
was charged $20,000 a month for dictation by our staff of 35 physicians. This was by MRC, later bought out by MedQuist. I was shown the actual bills, several months in a row. There were 4 MTs making $10 an hour that were displaced. The clinic decided they couldn't afford that - ummm, duh - and started using a paper version of point-and-click.

VA work - Transgal

[ In Reply To ..]
Some honest insight - I had an MT company for 20 years and had a VA contract for 7. Nuance probably - though I have no direct specific knowledge - does not have VA work because the VA hires U.S., female-owned, minority-owned or veteran-owned companies - it's a requirement to even bid. All of the vendor's work must be done in the U.S. - not just the VA work. It was in the contract and we were audited a couple of times over those 7 years to ensure compliance. Also, the VA takes the lowest bidder. As a service owner, the price per line over the years has gotten tighter and lower in both the private and government sectors. A friend who is the director of transcription at a Chicago-area hospital is in the middle of the bidding process and is looking at nothing higher than .13/line. That was my first-year VA contract price in 1990!!!

Similar Messages:

Nuance: Speech Recognition Versus Transcription Line Counts
May 13, 2012

As I was working today I thought about speech versus transcription, and it occurred to me that I was transcribing a good deal in each speech report I "edited." Why is transcription done for a full report paid any differently than transcription done in a speech report? In other words, why don't I get paid my transcription line count for the characters I am transcribing in a speech report, particularly since a great deal of these speech reports require almost re-transcribing completely due to ...

MTSO Claimin To Have US MT's But Only Charges Clients 6 Cents Per Line
Dec 10, 2009

Has anyone heard of a company called North American Transcription Company.  They claim to have all US MT's but they only charge clients 6 cents per line.  How is this possible? ...

What Nuance Charges For Insurance
Jan 29, 2014

Does anybody know what nuance charges for insurance, parent/child or family?   TIA! ...

Home Versus Hospital
May 05, 2013

I was recently offered a job transcribing/editing at a local hospital.  I have a 7-month old baby, and working from home was my dream as it would allow me to afford to be a stay at home mom.  Now I feel like somewhat of a caged bird, and am thinking that working at the hospital may be good for me (just prn, about 26 hours/week).  However, I have invested so much tine and energy in this job, and it is hard for me to admit that it is not all I dreamed it would be.   The appeal ...

Are There Any Hospital Clients That Actually Care About The MTs That Type Their Reports?
Apr 07, 2010

The hospital (client) of the company I type for, just updated their system.  This was a so-called big deal.  I was excited because they use a program that I know has potential to make a lot more shortcuts and less mouse use available for the MTs, that they did not utilized, but today, I started typing on the "new updated" version just to find there are more fields I have to fill in on the patient profile screen, there is more mouse use, and more looking up, and going out of the program ...

CLINIC VERSUS HOSPITAL TRANSCRIPTION
May 03, 2010

Hi all!  Quick question, which one do you think you can type more lines a day on, using your short cuts, drop ins, templates, etc., clinic transcription or hospital and why?  I have been typing acute care hospital transcription for 7 years and am thinking of taking a clinic job, but the money is slightly less.  I figure it won't count that much if clinic is as fast as my physical therapy job was I had 8 years ago.  Thanks! ...

Hospital Versus Physician Certification
Jun 08, 2012

Hi.  I am enrolled in Medical Coding class and have finished 3 semesters.  For the last quarter we are to make a decision whether we want to sit for the hospital or physician coding certification test.  We have a class on auditing and national exam review for one of these.   What is your opinion?  I want to get a job working for insurance company (BC/BS etc) or service (working from home).  Any ideas which would be better? ...

Clinic Work Versus Hospital Accounts
May 24, 2012

Does anyone know of companies hiring regular clinic transcription i.e. chart notes etc for OB/GYN, internal medicine, pediatrics? I see lots of adds for hospital work, but for those of us who don't enjoy the hospital accounts, it would be nice to know of companies who do straight clinic typing.    Any help is appreciated.  Anyone just wanting to slam me for asking this, please do not respond.   Thanks ...

Would You Choose Webmedx Production Versus Local Hospital Salary Of $17/hour
Aug 13, 2010

Which would be the best choice?  In the event that you had a great account at Webmedx on 3rd shift based on production rates, which would give you the most money?  Decisions, decisions!  Any comments? ...

Use Of 9 O'clock Versus 9:00 In OP Reports
May 16, 2013

Am I correct in noting MTs no longer use the spelled out work of "o'clock" (as in nine o'clock) in surgical dictations, but rather 9:00?  Please advise. ...

Gross Line Versus 65 Character Line
Aug 19, 2010

Anyone know if 5 cents per gross line is good or not? Better than 10 cents a 65 character line??   A company is offering this to me & says that at least 1/2 of every report is templated but you still get paid for it.  I make 10 cents a 65 character line with the company I work for at this time.  Please advise so I can make a decision to test or not with them.  ...

Hospital Job Lost To Nuance
May 28, 2013

We were just told last week that our hospital will be going over to Nuance and that we will have the option to go also as employees of Nuance. We are told that at least we will "still have jobs" and that we will "still be able to work on our own account/doctors from the hospital". Nuance is telling the hospital all sorts of wonderful things, and we are being told very little. Can anyone please tell me what to actually expect? Will we stay on our hospital account? I left a national company t ...

OH NO--hospital Outsourcing To Nuance
Oct 15, 2013

Just heard our hospital is outsourcing 100% to Nuance. They are offering us our hospital pay for a while. Benefits marginal. I've read all the horror stories about them eventually sending all the work offshore and the US MTs making minimum wage doing all the worst dictators. Please tell me this isn't true. I've been with the hospital 16 years and will retire in 2 years. I'm so upset. ...

Nuance Hospital Takeover
Apr 30, 2014

Our hospital transcription department is nearing its demise. We've been expecting it for some time but that time has come. Nuance, of course, is the company that has come in to save the day and graciously offer all of us jobs.  I don't think there's even a chance I would accept such an offer but would love to hear stories from those of you who have gone through this as I know there are many of you. A lot of what I've read on this site is from a couple of years ...

When Your Hospital Out-sources To Nuance....
Aug 28, 2014

Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists?  If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go?  Did you get to stay on your original hospital account?  Was it an okay switch?  Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you?  Thanks in advance! ...

Nuance Taking Over Our Hospital Dictation
Sep 19, 2013

We learned today that our transcription department is being eliminated and Nuance will be taking over. However, Nuance has kindly agreed to offer employment to us, promising that our first choice will be our hospital account. I think they are full of it and are just telling the hospital (and us) what they think we need to hear, and that one should run, and not walk, away from their job offer. Thoughts?  ...

Latest Hospital To Sell Out To Nuance
Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health ...

We Just Found Out Our Hospital Jobs Have Been Outsourced To Nuance.... Sm
Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.    I want to ask them questions b ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

Now Different Line Requirements For SR Reports Vs Transcription
May 27, 2010

Spheris minimum line count was 127.5 lines per hour, and after taken over by Medquist, they had a meeting. They said this was nothing to do with Medquist's higher line requirement, but they said if we do only SR work, then we have to do 192 lines per hour. Straight transcription is still 127.5 lines an hour. They do pay less for SR lines than transcription, but still as long as we got our line counts in during our shift, they were happy. How do we keep straight our line count for SR and TR ...

Pay By Line Versus Hourly Rate
Sep 16, 2010

Hi all. I'm a newbie to these boards. I've been reading all the posts here about the VR programs.  More production + more hours = less pay. Does anyone here work for a company that has gone to an hourly rate instead of pay per line?  And if so, what are your thoughts/experience on this?  I'm working for a company that has changed us all over to hourly pay and I'm still very unhappy. ...

Time Versus Line Rate
May 18, 2011

The problem is not getting paid for time incurred.  You get paid for lines but not time.  Also, transcription is very gender-biased.  Management knows all you nice gals will never revolt and will just go on working for peanuts and accept being cheated every way they can figure out to cheat you.  ...

Pay By Audio Minute Versus Per Line.
Apr 13, 2013

Good morning.  I am wondering if I should take a job that pays per audio minute or would I make more money doing cpl?  The audio job pays .70 cents per audio minute and the cpl pays .07 cpl.  The audio job will be very part time and I am not sure about the cpl gig.  Thanks so much for your input.  ...

Nuance QC Versus QA
Aug 13, 2012

By reading some of the posts on here, it looks like QC position is lower than QA position and even possibly lower than a Team Lead position.  Could someone clarify this? Also, does anyone know what hourly rate may be like for the QC position?  Thanks so much, Transcender being assimilated. ...

Listening To Old Reports In Ediscript (Nuance)
May 12, 2014

Okay, I know there is a way to listen to our old reports but for some reason I cannot do it anymore.  When I open up the dictation search and click on the speaker button to listen, I get a blank escription audio window that pops up with nothing.  Any ideas?  ...

Does Everyone At Nuance Receive Metric Reports
Jul 03, 2014

TSM takes metric reports as gospel but there is no way they can be accurate with the line count and actual hours on server.  I am sitting here waiting for work to trickle in.  That reduces my line count and I think hours on server because I am not actually producing work that the server counts. Just wondered if all employees receive metric reports and what you think of the accuracy.   ...

Nuance Versus Transcend?
Jun 23, 2011

Any thoughts on these 2 companies? Which one would you consider to be the lesser of 2 evils? TIA! ...

Transcend Versus Nuance
Dec 14, 2011

I am thinking about both Nuance and Transcend.  Does anyone like working for Nuance?  Does anyone have any advice?  Left MQ - looking for something better. ...

Allscripts Versus Nuance??
Oct 17, 2013

Who is Allscripts. Are they competitors with Nuance, are they part of Nuance? One of my accounts just got bought out earlier this month, now I just read the new owners have signed with Allscripts in an official press release.  Just wondering what this all means. Any ideas? ...

IMedX Versus Nuance
Feb 06, 2014

I have been offered a position with both companies and I have heard some really rough things about Nuance and was wondering if anyone had the choice between these two which one would you choose? ...