Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Company Board

What would you do? - Need advice

Posted: Sep 25th, 2020 - 1:44 pm

I am in a bit of a conundrum and am really on the fence about what I should do.  I was recently contacted by a company who I applied with probably at least a year ago.  For whatever reason, they chose not to hire me back then, despite all of my experience and qualifications.  However, they reached out to me 2 or 3 weeks ago totally out of the blue regarding an employee status position that had just opened up and wondered if I might be interested.  I already have 2 IC jobs that keep me quite busy and pay me fairly well; however, I have been hoping to find an employee position that would afford me paid time off.  Having been working as an IC for the past 6 or 7 years, it's been ages since I've had a job with any sort of benefits.  I don't necessearily need health insurance since I'm on my husband's plan, but being able to take paid vacations for the first time in eons sure would be nice.  It would be nice to have taxes paid as well.  They do also have flexible scheduling, so you don't have hours that are set in stone that you have to adhere to.  You have a specific window of time to get your work done.

I spoke with them on the phone and they told me about the position and the company.  A day or two later, I received an email offering me the position.  Here is my issue:  The job is strictly VR editing and only pays 4 cpl.  Granted, they do have all kinds of QA bonuses you can get to make more, but the base pay is 4 cpl and the hourly training rate is only minimum wage for my state.  They also want to perform a full consumer credit and background check on me.  I have absolutely nothing to hide; my background is clean, but that sure seems like an awful lot go through for what is essentially a minimum wage job.  I could maybe let the background check slide, but a credit check???  Really???  That seems a bit excessive to me.  They DO, however, have a very genereous PTO plan that provides 3 weeks of paid vacation per year, but, again, it is paid out at minimum wage.  

Would you take this job or pass?  Is it worth giving up one of my well-paying IC jobs to go and make minimum wage somewhere, just so I can have some benefits?  Like I said, I do already have 2 IC positions that keep me busy and pay a heck of a lot better than 4 cpl.  I feel that my skills and many years of experience deserve much more than 4 cpl.  I have no idea if I'll even be able to pay that bills with that kind of pay.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am really stuck on what to do!

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)