A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Statutory employees - disheartened

Posted: Mar 25, 2010

Could someone explain exactly what a company can require of an SE? Can companies force MTs to adhere to a schedule if all MTs are statutory employees? All the research I have done on this subject is vague, but it appears that SE and IC are almost the same with the exception of Social Security and Medicare being withheld and the employer's portion being paid for an SE.

Here you go. - See link inside

[ In Reply To ..]
As you can see from this link, you are considered an employee with the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=131138,00.html

That does nothing to answer the poster's question. I have the same concerns. - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
What can and can't an MTSO require of a statutory employee as compared to an IC or a full employee? That IRS link keeps getting trotted out, but it says nothing.

It says plenty. You are an employee. Therefore, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
they can tell you when, what, where, and how.

You might want a different answer, but the answer has already been given by the IRS. You are considered an employee and that includes all the advantages/disadvantages thereof.

Statutory employee - disheartened

[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate the link. Even though it does state "Statutory employees are not liable for self-employment tax because their employers must treat them as employees for social security tax purposes," that does not necessarily mean SE's are employees in the truest sense of the word. There are definitely differences between an employee and an SE. What I really want to know is what can MTSO/employers legally require of an SE.

Disheartened! You will love this...sm - Sick of this

[ In Reply To ..]
I think we work for the same company, and this is from the pay information from 2004. (Of course, we know those days are long gone) Statutory employee: Prefers to chose their own hours of work and establish their own productivity levels.
YYYEESSS!!!!! Do you think the WWOTW would by that?

You're right, it does say that! Of course, even that document - - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
may not be binding on us since they decided to eliminate all of our positions and essentially fire everyone, hiring them back at the new (lower) pay scale without benefits.

But, yeah, you're right; their own definition for statutory employee says we choose our hours of work. Of course, the WWOTW could come back and say "Choose them and then stick to them," but they seem to be reluctant to push the point right now, probably because they're losing employees since all of the changes. They have to be.

As in, "statutory RAPE"? - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

DSG. Statutory Employees
May 25, 2010

I'm considering applying with DSG for a statutory positon. Does anyone know what they're like to work for? I'm wondering about rate of pay, availability of work, percentage of ESL, etc. Thanks. ...

Does MQ Hire Statutory Employees Or Is It Just Part-time?
Jan 20, 2012

I need flexibility because I home school.    ...

Statutory Employee ?
Feb 11, 2010

Just exactly what does statutory employee status mean?  I was recently changed from independent contractor to this?  Never was that before, I don't quite understand it.  Please help.  Thanks in advance. ...

Statutory Vs IC Question
May 02, 2013

Does a statutory employee receive a 1099 and able to claim independent contractor status at tax time?  I've googled around and can't seem to find a definitive answer.  If you can help answer this for me, thanks so much! ...

Statutory Status
Sep 17, 2013

Is anyone a statutory employee with Nuance?  I was under the impression that I was an employee.  I was sure we were told there would be no SE status available.  However, I recently noticed on my pay stub that it says statutory.  Does this benefit me or is it going to bite me?  I have not paid self-employment tax for quite some time.  I was told I was an employee, so I assumed all employment taxes were being paid. ...

Transcend Statutory Status
Feb 22, 2010

Is everybody at Transcend statutory employees?  I signed up for full time but my pay stub says statutory.  ...

IC Versus Statutory Employee
May 01, 2013

Can someone please explain the difference between an IC and a statutory employee, I have looked it up and am not clear.  I understand that statutory employees get social security taken out, when ICs get nothing taken out, but what are the other differences? Thanks. ...

OMG How Funny - Read Glassdoor Opinion Of Employees, US Versus Indian Employees!
Aug 05, 2013

I was just curious about what employees thought of Nuance on Glassdoor.  You read several US employee opinions and they reflect the morale listed on MTStars.  Scroll further down and read the opinions of the transcriptionists from India.  What a difference.  They are highly satisfied with their jobs and most have been working with Nuance for 6 to 7 years.  The US transcriptionists are very sad!!  What a difference..... ...

Does Anyone Work As A Statutory Employee Anymore?
Mar 12, 2011

I have been working as an IC for a while, but used to work as a SE where some taxes were taken out of my check and matched.  The self-employment taxes are killing me! My federal income tax is minimal (have great deductions/credits while my kid is still little, but that isn't going to last forever). Has statutory employee gone the way of the dinosaur in MT?  It seems that I don't see any ads listing SE as an option.  I'm not looking to change MTSOs or get names of s ...

MM Now Hiring Part Time Statutory Mon Thru Fri MTs?
Feb 27, 2013

Wow...  ad on another site says part-time mon-fri shifts available 30 hours....  I wonder why they are hiring statutory now?  ...

Confused About Difference Between Statutory Employee And IC Status.
Jan 22, 2010

I keep trying to find something definitive that spells out the differences between the two, but it all seems so vague or, at least, different companies seem to treat each differently. Specifically, since my company recently converted everyone over to statutory status, can they require the employees to set and maintain a strict schedule as they had when they were full-time regular employees, or should/do the statutory employees have more leeway in that regard, more along the lines of an IC? ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

Do Any Companies Offer Statutory Employment Anymore? Take Out My Taxes And FICA, Sm
Oct 09, 2013

no other benefits, let me determine how many lines I will do and what days, and leave me the heck alone? I miss MDI-MD. :( ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

What Is A "statutory" Employee?
Aug 28, 2010

? ...

DSG Employees:
Dec 22, 2009

Did they send out gift cards this year?     ...

Former TRS Employees
Jan 26, 2010

Has anyone received a W2 form from the former TRS?  I received one from Transcend but evidently we will receive another one from TRS? ...

To Other New MQ Employees: I'd Like To Know What
Apr 13, 2011

sort of things you're getting QA'd for, to compare notes.  For instance, I'm new to VS, and I tend to leave in double words.  I think what's happening is that I hear it, so my mind just blocks out the extra one and I don't see it.  I spend a lot of energy trying to out-guess the QA, but no matter what I put in certain instances, I'm marked off.  If I put "The patient," then she fills in the name.  If I put the name, then she puts "The patien ...

For Those Of You (employees, Not IC)
Jun 02, 2011

I'd like to know how you are all dealing with it.  Do you sit and wait on work during your scheduled shifts without getting paid?  Have any of you filed for unemployment due to lack of work?  I wonder how people manage to pay for insurance, etc.  Have any of you quit your jobs and received unemployment?  How do you all manage?  TIA for any information you are willing to share. ...

Do You MQ Employees Sometimes Think
Aug 17, 2011

Someone jumps on this board, fires it all up by saying to use F11 for every ASR job, and then calls their CCM to say "read the MTstars board" and then they go check who is doing it and fires them, all the while the pot-stirrer looks all cutsie in the CCMs eyes and more work opens up for the pot-stirrer?Maybe it is my wild imagination, but it seems like all that "stop typing for a day" and if that does not work, then "stop typing for 2 days," and "use F11 for all ASR jobs," all feels so not ...

Any RAD MQ Employees?
Aug 18, 2011

How is your workload going?  I know there are a lot of acute care people who run out of work a lot, or get thrown in the cesspool, but what about the radiology side?  Does that run out all the time too?  I was there for Rad and was considering going back because I need a job.  I know the pay is not what I made there before. ...

Former MDI-MD Employees, Got A ????
Oct 20, 2011

Anybody on here former employees of MDI-MD who stayed with Transcend? I have applied and am trying to find my former supervisor's email. She was MDI-MD and as far as I know, stayed with Transcend. Her initials are MM. Please email me if you have her contact info. I cannot find her email anywhere and would love to work under her again if she is still there. Thanks! ...

To DSG Employees/ICs
Feb 06, 2012

In case you weren't there at the beginning of Monday's conference call, MQ bought out M-Modal and changed their name.  SO, if you choose to do this, you would be working for MQ.  Been there, done that.....aaack. ...

TTS Employees
May 27, 2015

Have interview with TTS, any comments on this company??? Likes/dislikes, pay ...

Any ETransPlus Employees?
Nov 11, 2009

Wondering if anyone has any info on this company - good or bad feedback is welcomed. Thanks! ...

Third Shift Employees
Feb 16, 2010

As I am getting no work during the day shift anymore, I have the chance to go third shift Sun-Thursday (11-7), either that or find a new job (yeh right), or do ASR (done it at this company, no thanks to returning there).  I have never worked that one before.  How/when do you sleep?  Any other pros/cons about this shift?  Thaniks your your advice.    ...

How Many U.S. Employees Are There For Medquist?
Mar 02, 2010

.. ...

Any Smartmed Employees Here?
May 06, 2010

Wondering what everyone is thinking about the no work again and NO other accounts to work on. ...

Spheris Employees
Jun 18, 2010

curious if you are still working your regular accounts?  Is everything they promised actually working out?  I ask because I am now working on a Spheris account when I run out of work on my 5 other "primaries";) ...

Former MDI/Transcend Employees
Jun 25, 2010

Just out of curiosity, does anybody have any idea how many people have parted ways with Transcend in the last several weeks that had been with the company for more than four or five years?  I know I am one of them but was just curious how extensive it might be. ...