A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

filing taxes as IC and as employee - confused

Posted: Feb 21, 2013

I work 20 hours a week as an IC for a national MTSO, paying my own taxes.  I also work 40 hours a week as an employee with benefits at a university.  Which federal form(s) should I use to file my own taxes?  I would use a 1040 for the full time employee job if that was my only job.  But since I also work half time as a contractor, do I need a different form?  Two separate forms?  Thanks so much for any help you can offer.  Undecided

tax forms for IC and employee - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
You will use the 1040 long form for the employee part, but you will also need to fill out a Schedule C for your 1099 income. In addition to Schedule C, be sure to include form 8829 for Expenses for Business Use in Home. This means you will list your employee income on line 7 and your IC income on line 12. Line 12 is based on the total income minus expenses that you bring over from Schedule C.

filing taxes - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, ICManiac! I will follow your directions exactly.

Similar Messages:

Starting A Business, Info On Filing Taxes, FICA, Etc.
Jan 04, 2011

In starting your own transcription business, without using an accountant, how do I find out what I need to do in order to file taxes, FICA, etc.?  Is there one website that would give me the best information? Can't afford an accountant for now. Thanks so much! ...

? ABOUT PAYING TAXES AS AN IC VS. AN MTSO EMPLOYEE.
Jul 29, 2011

I am trying to decide whether to work as an MTSO employee or an IC. If I choose IC, what percentage of self-employment, FICA, Social Security, and Medicare taxes will I be paying on (on the average) on my gross monthly income? I know that ICs make more cpl, but will the taxes I pay be more and, therefore, not worth it? Your input would be greatly appreciated!   ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

The SEC Filing For Company
Jan 05, 2013

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1441567/000119312512304484/d380686dsc14d9.htm Our beloved DV gets 10 million.  Glad all of you higher ups get to sleep peacefully in a warm bed at night and have no worries in life for putting food on your table.  Thanks for the wonderful memories of working here and the oustanding raises we get because of how hard we try to make more money for your pockets. We are so grateful working for such a wonderful com ...

Question - When Filing For UE . . .
Jan 25, 2013

what kind of questions do they ask you?  Do we just tell them that we're supposed to be at 39 hours and are getting only x amount of hours?  And do we just give them our lines rates?  Our checks can vary in their amounts so I just wondered. I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound ignorant, but this is new territory for me.  I want to be prepared if they ask me something, and I wasn't sure how specific they would get.  Thanks! ...

Question About UE Filing
Feb 06, 2013

Is there a certain day of the week that's best to file for UE?  I'm sorry, I know nothing about it.  What info will they need?  I think I remember somebody saying something about info in DocQManage, but I couldn't remember.  Is any of the info they need in Ultipro?  Thanks.  ...

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Nuance/filing For Under-employment
Nov 11, 2012

If you ever file for unemployment compensation for under-employment (no work available during your shifts), make sure you list Alphastaff as your employer. This held up my claim by 2 weeks since I listed Nuance as my employer. ...

Filing For Partial Unemployment
Mar 22, 2013

Any advice?  I was shy over 8 hours last week due to OOW (towards end of pay period, so no way to catch it up) and over 10 hours this week now (my last scheduled day was yesterday, and I'll be checking in to see if I can catch up some today on my day off, which won't be 10 hours, of course).   Is there generally a certain number of hours, rate of pay, etc., that one has to be shy of actual scheduled in order to qualify?  I understand it may be different from state to st ...

Filing For Unemployment Online...need
Aug 19, 2013

M-Modal's address. Looked on my tax returns for the address and it still says Medquist. Does anyone know if the address is the same for MModal? The one that starts with 9009.....in Franklin, TN. ??? Is that what I put on the UI form for physical and mailing address? And they want the phone number...do we use the same number we use to call tech support, etc. Sigh. Can't look on my email anymore as you get locked out immediately upon being laid off. TIA ...

Re: Filing For Unemployment Benefits
Jan 21, 2014

all my old bi-monthly payment amounts for the last 18 months?  What if you're paid by direct deposit?  I only know what was deposited, not what the full amound of pay I received, including deductions for health benefits, was.  How did you deal with this roadblock? ...

Filing For Unemployment When Work Is Low?
Mar 04, 2014

Does anyone know if it is possible to file for unemployment due to severely restricted work levels at Nuance?  Work has been incredibly slow or nonexistent for the last 2-3 weeks where my paycheck has been cut in half with promises of more work but still haven't appeared!  I haven't researched this yet but wanted to know if anyone has tried filing for unemployment.   ...

How Do I Go About Filing A Labor Relations Complaint?
Aug 06, 2010

I am supposed to be an IC, and according to the IRS definition and 20-factor test, I am being treated as an employee with each day bringing new employee guidelines into play.  How do I file a complaint and be allowed compensation and benefits as an employee?  This company is just worming their way around paying benefits and downtime compensation to employees by stating they are ICs.     ...

Punished For Filing For Partial Unemployment?
Jul 28, 2013

I'm thinking about applying for partial unemployment. The only thing holding me back is i'm afraid I will get retalation from the company or even get fired. I'm afraid that I will be out of a job completely without having anything else lined up. I've had maybe 2-3 hours a day of work if i'm lucky for going on a week now, and i'm really worried about paying my bills. I have been applying for other jobs in the meantime as well. I would love to hear anyone's exper ...

STAT-Copy Technologies Filing Bankruptcy
Nov 07, 2011

A few weeks ago, I wrote a post on the company board that STAT-Copy Technologies is over 2 months late paying me (over $2500).  A week and a half ago, she had sent me an e-mail saying she sent a check, which I have not yet received as of today.  I contacted her again to let her know I had not received any check.  I told her I was tired of messing around and begging for my money and she would hear from my attorney.  Well, she just e-mailed me and told me her company is filing ...

Is Filing For Partial Unemployment Due To Lack Of Work
Jul 23, 2014

A good way to just get yourself booted?  Would most companies tell you to get lost if you end up filing for partial? ...

Filing For Early Social Security/Working Part-time
Apr 07, 2012

Anyone here working part-time and receiving early Social Security benefits? I am considering doing this in the next year and wondering if anyone else is already doing so. Thoughts?  I've been working full-time since the age of 18 years and part-time before that, with only a 6-month period of time between jobs, but was collecting severance pay those 6 months. So, I really feel I deserve to get back some of the money I've put into Social Security over the last 4-1/2 d ...

Former Nuance Employee Now Has To Become Employee Again
Mar 11, 2014

Has anyone else left Nuance for another company only to have to return after acquisition? Were you just reinstated or did you have to start fresh from day 1 again? ...

IC/Taxes
Jan 03, 2010

I worked as an independent contractor for the first 5-1/2 months of 2009, but when reading the IRS definition of independent contractor, I realize that description did not fit my position.  Will I still need to pay self-employment tax? ...

IC Taxes And HELP
May 19, 2010

Hi,  Just accepted an IC position from a private individual.  I now have to deal with estimated taxes,, been a long time so I have questions.  Pretty basic, been reading,, I will not recieve a check prior to May 31, so I will be doing ET for the first time September 15, 2010.  How do I calculate how much to send?  I have heard that IC should have a separate checking account and make the deposit in there of the IC check and "pay" myself from there? Any thoughts, advice, s ...

Do Taxes Yourself?
Jan 26, 2011

I would like input on whether you do your taxes yourself or take them to a professional?  I had a local accounting firm do mine for a few years and now they are just H&R Block and the rate I pay keeps going up.  I have looked at a few do your taxes online yourself and H&R seems to be reasonable online (half of what the place charges).  Who does their taxes themselves and what is your experience with it?  Thanks for any help or advice you can give.  ...

Taxes!!!
Jun 14, 2011

I am an IC and am being choked by self-employment taxes.  It seems like I work to pay the taxes.  Anyone have any tax advice?  Does anyone else feel this way? ...

IC Taxes
Jun 13, 2012

I have been an employee since the start of my career and never had to worry about taxes.  For some time I have been entertaining the thought of taking an IC position on the side, but then I was told that as a self-employed person I would be carrying 35% tax liability.  That scared me out of my wits.  I am sure this does not apply literally, but I want to know how things would pan out for an IC who earns $45,000 in a calendar year.  How would you break things up as expenses in ...

W2 For Taxes
Jan 22, 2015

For those of us lucky enough to be away from this horrible company does anyone know when we can expect to get our W2 forms? ...

Wow, First Taxes And Now Work?
Nov 09, 2009

I received a message today while filling out an application with Encompass stating, "Unfortunately, we are unable to offer employment to residents in your area at this time due to the high cost of doing business in your state. We apologize for any inconvenience."  I live in Upstate NY.  The property taxes are a killer but to be denied work because cost of living is unaffordable?  ...

Regarding Post Below About Not Enough Fed Taxes
Jan 28, 2010

out, see your federal tax booklet, Schedule M, Making Work Pay.  This should help you in not having to pay as much in to the IRS.  HTH ...

Question Regarding Taxes
Jan 14, 2011

If you work out of your house as a ful-time employee, can you still have tax write offs like you are an I/C? TIA ...

Local Taxes
Feb 24, 2011

Did I miss something?  I noticed on my paystubs that Medquist/Ultipro is now taking off my local taxes.  Did we get an email about this?  I always had to estimate my local taxes before. ...