A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

IC versus statutory employee - confused

Posted: May 01, 2013

Can someone please explain the difference between an IC and a statutory employee, I have looked it up and am not clear.  I understand that statutory employees get social security taken out, when ICs get nothing taken out, but what are the other differences?

Thanks.

Statutory is tax term - see msg pls

[ In Reply To ..]
I live in FL, and while I'm an employee (not IC), I am considered statutory. FL residents pay no income tax. I'm guessing in your case, you are responsible for claiming your own income tax, unless you live in FL, in which case you are automatically statutory, IC or not.

Similar Messages:

Statutory Employee Vs. Traditional Employee Status Inquiry
Oct 10, 2013

I'm seeing more and more job postings for statutory employee status.  I'm trying to figure out what an appropriate line rate request equivalent would be since I would be responsible for withholding income taxes.  For example if the traditional employee line rate is 8 cpl for transcription what would I need to request for statutory status?  The same or more? ...

Statutory Employee ?
Feb 11, 2010

Just exactly what does statutory employee status mean?  I was recently changed from independent contractor to this?  Never was that before, I don't quite understand it.  Please help.  Thanks in advance. ...

Does Anyone Work As A Statutory Employee Anymore?
Mar 12, 2011

I have been working as an IC for a while, but used to work as a SE where some taxes were taken out of my check and matched.  The self-employment taxes are killing me! My federal income tax is minimal (have great deductions/credits while my kid is still little, but that isn't going to last forever). Has statutory employee gone the way of the dinosaur in MT?  It seems that I don't see any ads listing SE as an option.  I'm not looking to change MTSOs or get names of s ...

Confused About Difference Between Statutory Employee And IC Status.
Jan 22, 2010

I keep trying to find something definitive that spells out the differences between the two, but it all seems so vague or, at least, different companies seem to treat each differently. Specifically, since my company recently converted everyone over to statutory status, can they require the employees to set and maintain a strict schedule as they had when they were full-time regular employees, or should/do the statutory employees have more leeway in that regard, more along the lines of an IC? ...

Income Taxes/statutory Employee Question
Feb 27, 2014

I was one of the people originally with MDI who was sold to Transcend who was sold to Nuance. With MDI, we were statutory employees. When sold to Transcend, we were told repeatedly and often that statutory employee would no longer exist, that we were straight employees. Same with Nuance. Yet my pay stubs say statutory employee and zero federal tax was withheld all year; however, the statutory employee box on the W2 is not checked. So what does this mean? How is it legal to be told we are straig ...

What Is A "statutory" Employee?
Aug 28, 2010

? ...

IC Versus Employee
May 14, 2011

This post is not what you probably thought it was going to be.  I am not going to list the pros and cons of being an IC or am employee. It appears that MTSOs are "fudging" on these two classifications of workers to get the advantages. For example, as an IC you make your own hours.  There is no schedule; that is the nature of being an IC.  Yet these MTSOs want you to work a set schedule.  Another example:  You are hired as an employee.   Because you're an employee, you shoul ...

IC Versus Employee?
Aug 02, 2011

Would anyone care to share their preference as to IC versus employee? I am curious as to which is best and thinking of switching to employee status.  ...

Employee Versus IC
Apr 17, 2012

Can anyone give me feedback on switching from IC to an employee from home? I'm thinking about doing it but unsure if it would be wise .. It seems like the grass would be greener on the other side (in terms of benefits, W2 status for taxes, etc) but I hate to give up my freedom as IC unless it is REALLY worth it in the end. Also, is making 8 cpl after 4 years reasonable wage? Thanks for any input!! ...

IC Versus Employee AGAIN
Mar 26, 2013

I just started as an IC with a company I really like but they want me to work 8 hours a day. No problem. But it has to be a set time each day on a schedule submitted in advance and I have to let them know in advance if it changes. Now the reason I work as an IC and give up the benefits is so that I have flexibility. I had thought that as long as I work the number of hours during the morning or afternoon they want, I can't be held to a set schedule. Why do companies ALWAYS think they can ...

Employee Versus IC PT Status
Nov 23, 2009

I have an interview tomorrow with a company for PT employee status.  I have been an IC for many years and love it.  I am a bit concerned about going employee as I am used to the flexibility of being able to take time off for my kids' school parties, fall, winter and spring breaks and such without it affecting my job.  Can anyone give me a clue as to how employee status works and if some companies are more flexible than others?? I would love to stay an IC, but haven't f ...

IC VERSUS EMPLOYEE STATUS
May 09, 2011

I have an opportunity from two different companies. One is IC and the other as an employee. I have been an IC for so long.  What is the pros and cons of both.   TIA ...

Employee Versus IC--opinions?
Oct 31, 2012

I would like others opinions on employee versus IC status. I don't want to pass up an opportunity because its IC as I have been mainly applying to companies who offer employee status. Thanks! ...

Employee Versus IC Status
Sep 17, 2014

I have been a medical transcriptionist for 22 years' and have worked as an employee for most of that time.  I am still about 10 years out from retirement and am trying desparately to hang on to my beloved profession of medical transcription, but I am seeing it slip away from me little by little.  Companies who hire employees seem to seldom have enough work to go around, harangue their employees through QA, and tie benefits to production.  All these things combined are making it difficult ...

TTS Insurance..IC Versus Employee Status
Jun 04, 2010

I am considering TTS (Transcription, Technology, and Support) and was wondering what anyone could tell me about their insurance such as rates, etc.  Also, I'd like to hear from both IC and employees there.  I didn't know which would be the best way to go.  Thanks! ...

Can Someone Explain IC Versus Employee Status?
Mar 01, 2011

Can someone fill me in please.  Despite doing this for over 15 years, I still don't understand the "independent contractor" posts.  I have always been a straight employee at services.  What is the difference and what are the pros and cons?  Thanks for your help! ...

Very Informative Post About IC Versus Employee
Jun 03, 2012

The IRS Gives Employees a Whistle to Blow and Employers a Safe HarborBy Peter Milne | Published: May 5, 2011The IRS has given an employee worker wrongly clas­si­fied as an inde­pen­dent con­trac­tor a very loud whis­tle to blow and employ­ers the means to obtain an advance deter­mi­na­tion of worker clas­si­fi­ca­tion to avoid future dis­putes and tax liabilities.When is a worker an employee or an inde­pen­dent con­trac& ...

Pros And Cons Of IC Versus Employee ??
Jan 02, 2015

x ...

Independent Versus Full Time Employee
Sep 14, 2010

What is the benefit of working as an independent? Is the pay different? ...

Independent Contractor Versus Employee Status
Jan 16, 2011

Can anyone tell me if there are any advantages to being an independent contractor versus an employee?  I'm worried about being able to set aside taxes if they are not taken out automatically -- I work because I need the money and would prefer to not have to "bank it" for taxes later.  Seems like it is getting harder to find employee status jobs thay are not voice recognition / editing positions.  ...

Employee Status Versus Independent Contractor
Mar 13, 2015

Can someone tell me which position is more financially rewarding? Do ICs get 401k and whatnot? Basically, can someone tell me the differences between the 2?   Thanks so much. I am an idiot with money and taxes. ...

Statutory Employees
Mar 25, 2010

Could someone explain exactly what a company can require of an SE? Can companies force MTs to adhere to a schedule if all MTs are statutory employees? All the research I have done on this subject is vague, but it appears that SE and IC are almost the same with the exception of Social Security and Medicare being withheld and the employer's portion being paid for an SE. ...

DSG. Statutory Employees
May 25, 2010

I'm considering applying with DSG for a statutory positon. Does anyone know what they're like to work for? I'm wondering about rate of pay, availability of work, percentage of ESL, etc. Thanks. ...

Statutory Vs IC Question
May 02, 2013

Does a statutory employee receive a 1099 and able to claim independent contractor status at tax time?  I've googled around and can't seem to find a definitive answer.  If you can help answer this for me, thanks so much! ...

Statutory Status
Sep 17, 2013

Is anyone a statutory employee with Nuance?  I was under the impression that I was an employee.  I was sure we were told there would be no SE status available.  However, I recently noticed on my pay stub that it says statutory.  Does this benefit me or is it going to bite me?  I have not paid self-employment tax for quite some time.  I was told I was an employee, so I assumed all employment taxes were being paid. ...

Transcend Statutory Status
Feb 22, 2010

Is everybody at Transcend statutory employees?  I signed up for full time but my pay stub says statutory.  ...

MM Now Hiring Part Time Statutory Mon Thru Fri MTs?
Feb 27, 2013

Wow...  ad on another site says part-time mon-fri shifts available 30 hours....  I wonder why they are hiring statutory now?  ...

Does MQ Hire Statutory Employees Or Is It Just Part-time?
Jan 20, 2012

I need flexibility because I home school.    ...

Do Any Companies Offer Statutory Employment Anymore? Take Out My Taxes And FICA, Sm
Oct 09, 2013

no other benefits, let me determine how many lines I will do and what days, and leave me the heck alone? I miss MDI-MD. :( ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...