A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

In case you forget that Nuance is not a transcription company at its core - Just read this

Posted: Jul 16, 2014

I have to admit, I wasn't familiar with what "Ambulatory" transcription would entail, so I went searching on the internet and came across this PDF.

It is a stark reminder that Nuance is not a transcription company.  They are a technology company, a speech recognition company, and we are all test subjects to make their speech engine better (through the thousands of doctors dictating and all of our editing). 

They don't want to use transcriptionsits to do their work. They want to make software that will replace us!  I lost my job of 5 years because of Nuance and Dragon.  They went to front-end speech, and they love it.  They also paid millions for the system, a one-time cost that doesn't need days off, doesn't get sick, and doesn't require health insurance.

This is a dying field and we work for the company that is putting us out of a job.  But I've always said, if you're going to go BIG, GO BIG!

Nuance - Fatigued Fingers

[ In Reply To ..]
They might just as well come right out and say "We're going to make transcription obsolete." Thank goodness I'm only part time now and will go to full retirement in a couple of years ... if it lasts that long, that is.

Either their speech - recognition software

[ In Reply To ..]
is 100 times better than a lot of the reports I get or no one bothered to go back and actually look at what came out.

I wonder what version of Dragon - they are using

[ In Reply To ..]
Because the one that produces the drafts I get is absolute crap. Big deal, cut their transcription cost by $550K, I wonder how big his salary is, probably way more than than what they paid their transcriptionists several times over. Just think how much $$ they could save if the powers that be didn't make such inflated wages.

Biggest difference with Dragon Medical - Edit while they speak

[ In Reply To ..]

The biggest difference that I can see is that they are actively editing while dictating.  So, as they dictate a sentence, if Dragon types something wrong, then they can (like their commercial's indicate for the regular, home-use program) say stuff like, "scratch that" or "delete that last sentence."

For the accounts I work on, about 75% of the stuff that comes in is relatively minor corrections.  Moving headings here and there, adding punctuation, removing sentences and words that the doctor dictated twice while correcting themselves, etc.  I'm not discounting the work we do because we also check for major things like medication dosage mis-match, wrong gender/patient, wrong leg being amputated, etc.  We still have a vital role in patient care, but with front-end speech, it's not something they dictate into a phone and don't see the results for a day/week/month when they get around to reviewing the files (if they ever actually do that, which I don't believe most of them do).  They're seeing it type as they speak, so it's easier to correct.  And really, all Dragon Medical is doing is taking some EMR that has individual boxes for the narrative sections and allowing them to dictate those parts.  The others like the physical exam and such get auto populated by what they click, what the nurse puts in for vitals, etc.  The medications, allergies, all that gets populated by what the front desk puts in from the patient's intake form, etc.  That's why these reports look like crap, contain mistakes, and whatnot. 

Bottom line, the EMR companies and legislation (which I hate to say, is really needed for us to move forward as a civilization... maybe not in its current iteration, but in some form) and Nuance are putting us out of business.

Similar Messages:

In Case Anyone Forget... Sunday Morning At 2 Am Eastern Time Is DQS Maintenance...
Dec 06, 2009

Last time I forgot and lost a really long report.  Pacific Time 11 pm, in 10 minutes! ...

Nuance Transcription Company Info?
Jun 07, 2011

Our facility recently contracted with Nuance and all MT's were "offered" a position with Nuance. What should we expect? Has anyone worked for or currently working for this company? ...

Nuance Transcription Services Is A Legitimate Company?
Jul 21, 2011

Does anyone out there know if Nuance (out of Massachusetts) is a legitimate company? ...

Nuance... Bad Company Or Worst Company Ever.
May 15, 2015

Some days are more aggravating than others with this company.   ...

FTP Core Lite
Nov 29, 2009

Hello.  Can anyone give me any help on software called FTP Core Lite? I'm not finding it very user-friendly at all, especially with sending files.  Thanks.     ...

Core? Exercise
Dec 04, 2009

is core exercises capped Core, CORE?? not sure. ...

Core Strengthening
Feb 14, 2010

active release therapy and s/l muscular spacen therapy ...

S/l Core Pack
Jul 29, 2010

HEENT:  Her pupils react to light.  Her sclerae are clear.  She has a s/l core pack in. ...

What Does "COR Or CORE Status Mean, Which
Jun 10, 2010

Hadn't seen this before.  It is being used in a sentence. ...

MModal Core Values
May 10, 2013

I know this is a silly question, but where can I find the core values of this company, if it has any at all.  I was just curious and kind of just want to compare with how we are treated and laugh. ...

Core Stitch Fashion
May 28, 2013

Incision repaired in a s/l "core stitch fashion?" with 3-0 Supramid nylon suture. ...

S/l Galemie Core Biopsy Needle
Aug 11, 2010

Thanks! ...

Nuance Company:
Jun 22, 2011

Word on the street: Nuance has acquired Webmedx - No official announcement but am hearing this from multiple sources. ...

Forget It.
Jul 21, 2010

Forget it!  I beyond .......  Not sure what I am going to do for the next 6 months.  Just want to finish school and get out of this profession. ...

What If I Forget
Sep 08, 2010

How long do you think I can get away with "forgetting" to do the 6.1 upgrade?  haha!  I've taken the video classes and have the codes, but I've been reading so many horrible things that I don't want to use it until the weekend, when I have time to "play" with it.  What do you think?  ...

Nuance And Leaving The Company
Jul 19, 2012

I am looking to soon leave Nuance and was wondering if they were going to try and convince me to stay when I give notice. Thanks ...

Nuance Is The Worst Company Ever
May 08, 2014

I HATE THIS COMPANY!  Just needed to vent.  ...

Is There A Company Worse Than Nuance?
May 29, 2014

But not sure if I should stay with Nuance, a known evil company, or take a chance going to an unknown evil company. ...

Nuance Company Song
Jun 24, 2014

how about ...

Nuance Company Website
May 17, 2015

Has anybody gone to the Nuance website? The site regarding prospective employees that they expect top-notch, quality blah blah and in return, they will "provide financial and professional rewards." What is the financial and professional reward, I wonder? Um, minimal wages. What is the professional reward? There is no raises ever and no career advancement. They got to be more specific and not just empty talk. ...

Ever Forget How Much Transcriptionists Really Know?? Sm
Feb 25, 2010

I am training someone and I am now reminded how far I have come, how much I have learned, and the things I take for granted and assume others know.   Basic things, just proper English, not even taking into consideration the medical terminology.  Knowing whether a sentence makes sense or not.  We really should be paid better.  But it is nice to feel smart sometimes....and you know anyone who can do this job really does have to be pretty darn intelligent.   Fello ...

Okay, Forget The Poll. Must Be The Only One
Jul 24, 2010

Glad you all are doing great in your jobs and have work. ...

Don't Forget This Meeting!
Mar 13, 2012

March 19th at 12:00 pm Eastern, we will hold our first MT "All Hands" Webcast. Question:  What is the BOOST initiative?   ...

Dont Forget To
Nov 02, 2012

Since our TSM hasn't (doesn't ever) reminded us, thought I would ...

Is It Bad That I Don't Want To Tier Up And Just Want To Do My Job And Forget About It
Jun 07, 2013

This job has served me well for the purpose I intended. I was able to stay home with my kids while they were growing up and supplement the household income.  Now, after being with this company since 1994, I don't want to tier up or become an MME. I just want to do my job and then forget about it.  I am at the point now where I really want to retire as we don't need a supplemental income any longer.  I see all these new "opportunities" at MM and I just don't care to ...

I Forget--how Do We Log On To Enrich
Jan 22, 2014

Thanks in advance!!! ...

All Of You That Have Given Notice Or Will Be Soon, Please Do Not Forget
May 02, 2015

And tell the truth to unsuspecting MTs, consider it a public service to help people avoid bankruptcy and nervous breakdowns! I mean, really, don't you wish you had known the truth? ...

Nuance QA - Can't Wait To Leave This Company!
Sep 10, 2012

Can't wait to leave this company!  Their QA staff are the true pits of hell, I'll tell ya.  ...

What Company Is Nuance Health Insurance Thru?
Oct 04, 2012

nm ...

Which Company (not MModal) Is The Competition For Nuance?
Jan 13, 2015

I want to work for their biggest competitor and hopefully help in taking contracts away from Nuance and causing them to feel the financial losses that we have been feeling for quite some time. There has to be some company who is growing fast and obtaining some of their clients.  Anyone? ...