A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would you choose Webmedx production versus local hospital salary of $17/hour - cant decide

Posted: Aug 13, 2010

Which would be the best choice?  In the event that you had a great account at Webmedx on 3rd shift based on production rates, which would give you the most money?  Decisions, decisions!  Any comments?

Depends on your line rate - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
Accounts are here today and gone tomorrow, but if I was pretty confident that the account I was on wasn't going anywhere, honestly, I'd take the production, depending on the line rate.

Let's say you have a cpl of 8.5. If you do 220 lph, which is very reasonable and sustainable on a steady basis, that's $18.7 an hour. If the account has lots of normals and templates, etc., that number just goes up. Factor in gas to and from work, the time to and from work, work appropriate clothing and maintenance thereof, office politics, buying lunch if you forget to pack one. I like working at home and I like not being in an office environment, so I'll take production based pay any day of the week.

Now, if the account is maybe not steady, or if you're not entirely confident that your employer is going to be a consistent one, then $17 an hour is pretty decent. It's days, which gets you off 3rd shift which s@cks, you get out of the house and start interacting with people again. But you have to factor in gas, etc., which does add to your expenses that you don't have right at the moment.

$17 an hour is roughly $2944 a month BEFORE taxes (approx 2208 after taxes factoring in 25% for state, fed, and FICA), so is that enough to pay your monthly bills?

re: hospital job versus wbmx - zoesmom

[ In Reply To ..]
things like having better benefits, i.e., like having sick days, paid vaca, insurance, make my job decisions a lot easier.

forgot to mention the hospital job is from home as well - cant decide

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Take the hospital job as I am positive the benefits - will be cheaper SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there a shift differential being offered at the hospital position? I used to work at home for a local hospital and made KILLER money. That was a long time ago but made more then than now working for an MTSO.

I agree! Take the hospital job.. - tired old cmt

[ In Reply To ..]
Hmmmm ....At-home hospital employee versus pay per production for MTSO? ... seems like no-brainer to me. I've been around the block with both - take the local hospital job - but that's just my opinion.

Definitely the hospital job! - me

[ In Reply To ..]
I just took a job at an outside facility and I couldn't be happier. I don't have to worry about running out of work, there are better benefits and it is M-F!!!!

Take the hospital job!!
More $$ production, more insecurity. Less $ on salary - less insecurity. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

I vote for the hospital job too - nm - mh

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Been there done that - susieq

[ In Reply To ..]
Not with Webmedx, but working at home. Benefits greatly outway the benefits of working at home, and even if still at home with the hospital at that pay with benes, would still take that hospital job offering $17. Weigh the good and the bad of both, then decide. Good luck:)

Hospital without another thought. Guaranteed hourly. Better - benefits. Healthier environment.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

YES, YES, YES - susieq

[ In Reply To ..]
And....take this into serious consideration....A life after work!!! Hallelujah!!! Many do not know what that is like any more.

Hospital - retired hospital MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Hospital for sure. The good account at Web could decided at next contract signing to go somewhere else. Hospital work is always there plus benefits are the best. No guarantee Web wouldn't cut wages to make client happy.

Hospital job in a heartbeat, even if it were in-house. Have they - reassured you they have no plans to outsource? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I just left MTSO to go back to hospital work (sm) - Long time MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been with the hospital for 2-1/2 months now. It's the best employment choice I have ever made in my life. I love it. As a side benefit, we are really made to feel like a valued part of the team, not just some faceless SS# which is what the MTSOs always made me feel like.

There is often no work on 3rd shift at Wmx - choose the hospital!

[ In Reply To ..]
We overhire. There's less and less work at night because everyone is working later and later to get their minimum. Maybe the hospital doesn't overhire. Good luck to you.

You're making it easier on me!!! - cant decide

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that the salary is appealing and I would not have to worry about running out of work and/or losing my account possibly. I only considered WMX because of the thought of making an incentive ... unfortunately that sounds as though it is few and far between to be productive enough -- or have the work to BE productive. Very sad.

THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT!!!

Hospital job hands down. nm - websta

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Which to choose - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
Of course, the choice is your to make, but I would take the hospital job in a heartbeat. Here's why: Not likely that the hospital will be offshored or sold. One never knows when one's company will be sold or acquired (former MDIers take note). The hospital will likely have better benefits, which will not be changed on a whim. Sounds to me like the hospital is a great deal for you. Whichever you choose, good luck!

Nick has a good point, WMX benefits cost more SM - websta

[ In Reply To ..]
and get worse every January and you aren't notified of this until end of November or beginning of December. Their view is that we're a buch of sick old ladies and that's how the changes are always justified.

The hospital benefis are always cheaper and any increase in cost to you is a few dollars here and there. Low deductible too. WMX deductible is now $1500 and I will bet they'll go to $2000 next year.

Webmedx has been a good fit for me except for insurance. If their - insurance gets worse, I have to leave the field. n

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

thanks for your replies - cant decide

[ In Reply To ..]
Just need to pray that my interview goes well at the hospital tomorrow ... I already accepted the job with WMX but wish now that I hadn't. Hmmm. Major dilemma here!!!!

Not a dilemma - if hospital interview goes well then - Buh-bye Webmedx!

[ In Reply To ..]
Please do not feel bad that you have already accepted the WMX job but something better has come along. They would not hesitate to throw you out with the bath water if they thought they could make 1 penny profit on that. Do not waste one minute of your precious life worrying about this company. These snakes always survive.

Take care of yourself. You will be much, much happier in-house. I hope all these MTSOs fold because of their own stupid greed!

Good luck to you!! What an awesome opportunity you were given!
Hold on tight... - Susan
[ In Reply To ..]
To an offer away from the big nations. You'll be much happier in the end. Webmedx doesn't care at all about their MT's so don't feel bad. They have brought this on themselves. Unfortunately, there's not much better to chose from in the way of national companies but the private sector still affords an MT to make a decent living and be treated with respect and dignity...words not in the Webmedx dictionary.

Similar Messages:

Informatics Salary Versus Coder Salary
Jan 15, 2013

Hello Everybody.  First, let me say I have gotten a lot of good advice from this board in the past few years.  I have been encouraged to go back to school, am currently enrolled in Andrews for coding, and am looking to the future to obtain a degree to further advance myself in the field. I am very strongly considering WGU's Informatics course. I think this will be a good fit for me, especially considering this program also includes many IT certifications and I have always been ...

Local Hospital Offer
Dec 28, 2011

In telling my woes to my mom about all the changes at the Web, she of course told others. So I received a call from my "local" hospital's transcription supervisor. They have just created two new positions they are looking to fill. The pay offered is 15.45 an hour plus 15% shift differential for anything after 2 pm. The insurance is awesome, significantly less than what I will be paying for a single policy and available after 30 days of employment. Paid time off of 21 days per year for ...

Local Hospital Looking For Medical Scribe
Oct 01, 2012

Anyone down what an MA certificate is. There is a local hospital looking for a Medical Scribe. It looks like there is where MT is heading. Any thoughts or comments? I am wondering if I should pursue this. I have a straight typing job now, but when it ends, as they all do, I want to still use my skills a job outside the home. ...

Just Spent An Hour Looking At Local Classified Ads.
Jul 31, 2010

I am such a good transcriptionist, but so very unqualified for anything else.  Even cashiers need "previous experience."  There was a housekeeping job at a local hospital and a "valet parking attendant."  Surely I can clean and park? ...

100% Production In Hospital Transcription
Mar 15, 2011

What does it mean to be paid by the hour, receive an incentive bonus and be able to work from home after attaining 100% productivity?  I'm sorry...I've been under a rock for a little while now.  How does one attain 100% productivity?  And thanks for not laughing at the old woman. ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital And Have Production Based Pay?
Aug 13, 2011

THe hospital I work for is going to production based pay from hourly pay.  They have not told us yet what the pay per line will be.  Can anyone give me an idea of what the pay is per line for lines typed and lines edited.   I am concerned about taking a pay cut.  Thanks. ...

Hospital Job Paid On Production. I Can't Make Any Money
Jan 29, 2014

When did hospital jobs get almost as bad as working for a service?  When I have had hospital MT jobs before, we were either paid hourly, or hourly base pay plus incentive.  It was possible to make $22 to $25 an hour. I have also worked on production for a service and for myself and I can usually do 200 lph very easily, 250 lph if I'm concentrating, 300-350 lph if I'm concentrating and getting good dictation (that I'm familiar with and know what they are going to say ...

Average Per Hour With 0.75 Or 0.375 Versus $12.00 Per Hour
Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sur ...

How Much Production In An 8 Hour Day Can You Produce Doing VR?
Dec 06, 2012

nm ...

Average Production Lph At Webmedx??
Jul 29, 2010

Would You Rather Be Paid $14 An Hour, 40 Hours A Week Or Production At 8 Cpl? Sm
Jun 06, 2012

I have been offered both, but I'm not sure what to do. ...

Does Webmedx Pay An Evening Differential Or Production Bonus? How Much?
Mar 16, 2010

nm ...

Production Pay MT Job Versus Hourly Pay MT Job
Apr 13, 2013

So, I am considering applying for an MT position with a local clinic for an hourly wage and bennies. I woud have to be in-house for a year and then could come home. I work for a large MTSO now that has had many changes recently, and I am uncertain of my future with them or this business PERIOD! I have been contemplating getting out of this line of work altogether and going back to school, but with my age and needing to work to support my family I am not sure this is a good choice eithe ...

Home Versus Hospital
May 05, 2013

I was recently offered a job transcribing/editing at a local hospital.  I have a 7-month old baby, and working from home was my dream as it would allow me to afford to be a stay at home mom.  Now I feel like somewhat of a caged bird, and am thinking that working at the hospital may be good for me (just prn, about 26 hours/week).  However, I have invested so much tine and energy in this job, and it is hard for me to admit that it is not all I dreamed it would be.   The appeal ...

CLINIC VERSUS HOSPITAL TRANSCRIPTION
May 03, 2010

Hi all!  Quick question, which one do you think you can type more lines a day on, using your short cuts, drop ins, templates, etc., clinic transcription or hospital and why?  I have been typing acute care hospital transcription for 7 years and am thinking of taking a clinic job, but the money is slightly less.  I figure it won't count that much if clinic is as fast as my physical therapy job was I had 8 years ago.  Thanks! ...

Hospital Versus Physician Certification
Jun 08, 2012

Hi.  I am enrolled in Medical Coding class and have finished 3 semesters.  For the last quarter we are to make a decision whether we want to sit for the hospital or physician coding certification test.  We have a class on auditing and national exam review for one of these.   What is your opinion?  I want to get a job working for insurance company (BC/BS etc) or service (working from home).  Any ideas which would be better? ...

Clinic Work Versus Hospital Accounts
May 24, 2012

Does anyone know of companies hiring regular clinic transcription i.e. chart notes etc for OB/GYN, internal medicine, pediatrics? I see lots of adds for hospital work, but for those of us who don't enjoy the hospital accounts, it would be nice to know of companies who do straight clinic typing.    Any help is appreciated.  Anyone just wanting to slam me for asking this, please do not respond.   Thanks ...

Webmedx/Nuance Lines Per Hour
Nov 18, 2011

How many lines per hour are most people averaging right now on this platform? I am getting a mixture of straight type /VR that varies daily. They have not shown us any reports of how everyone is doing as a group. I don't think I can make the quota in 8 hours to qualify for benefits. I am trying.  We have open enrollment for insurance ending November 30.  The 1st week in December, they will tell us what the pay plan is for the future.  Granted, insurance ra ...

I Make $8.50 An Hour With Webmedx/Nuance
Dec 09, 2011

Since we were acquired by the big N, "We" are on the old platform, not Dragon.  I don't get any reports that have templates or normals. The account has thousands of doctors.  This is as much as I can possibly make under these parameters. So running our "salary calculator," it comes out to $8.50 an hour.  I was making twice this 2 years ago for same company before it was acquired. ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Webmedx Versus TTS
Jan 23, 2012

Has anybody worked for either WebMedx or TTS?? If so, what do you think about them? ...

Minimum Wage Versus Lines Per Hour.
Jan 02, 2013

So I have been very careful not clocking in when work is low because I don't want my LPH to suffer, BUT.....Is there anyone out there who just clocks in and takes the reports slow as they come and accepts the minimum wage?  Do you get "naughty" emails from your lead telling you that you need to pick it up or clock out?  I hope this makes sense.  It just occurec to me that minimum wage would be better than no wage when work is low. ...

Calculating Lines Per Hour Versus Time Worked
May 14, 2010

Hi everyone:) Just wanted to know how to calculate a line rate based on the number of hours worked, which is for Transcend.  Got a "not so nice" message from my TL saying I had better adjust my lines AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to make it balance out with the # of lines I am producing, or else!!  I would like to know if 1 of you kind, wonderful MTs would help me.  Thanks!! ...

Webmedx - Company Computer Versus Own Computer?
Feb 04, 2010

I read that Medmedx supplies computers but you can only have Cable or DSL connection.   I live in an area where I cannot get cable or DSL.  I have a wireless connection.   My question is, do they allow you to use our own computers?   Thanks for your time and have a great day? ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Which To Choose...
Oct 16, 2009

The inguinal ligament was lifted up the artery, at which point there was significant amount of bleeding, which was controlled with finger pressure. Do I get rid of was, which I clearly hear, so it makes sense. Or, does another way work? ...

I Choose
Oct 22, 2012

Pay - What Specialty To Choose
Feb 04, 2010

Does anybody know which MT specialty offers the best pay rate?  I was told by one of my instructors that pathology and radiology were this highest paid MTs around.  Another instructor thought that specializing in OP reports would offer the greatest income potential.  Thanks   ...

Everyone HAS To Choose One Of The 2 Plans? You Can't Opt Out?
May 18, 2012

x ...