A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

HELP! Getting inquiries from local MDs but I have no idea how to respond. - FlaMT

Posted: Dec 09, 2009

Yes, I know we get lots of these questions every day but here's one I don't think has been touched on lately. 

I was recently approached by an old employer about giving my information to another MD for transcription work. I told her that she can definitely give out my info if she new someone that needed transcription work done.  I didn't really think it would go anywhere, as that's the way it happens in this town, nothing ever comes to fruition.

However, today I get a call from an office manager asking about doing some work for them. She let me know that she got my info from my old employer.  I was caught off guard so of course flubbered my way through the whole conversation. She kinda of huffed when I gave her my rate ($0.11 cpl) but then asked for references and a resume.  This is the first time I've ever talked to anyone about doing work DIRECTLY for an MD/clinic (always worked via MTSO) so I was honest and told her I didn't have that information readily available since no one has ever asked for it before.  I let her know that I will definitely get something together for her and send it ASAP.

I know I probably blew this opportunity but I'll still send the info she wants. My question is what on earth do I put on the resume/CV/etc.?  I have a resume but that one is geared towards finding employment and probably not very good for self-promotion.

So far I have 2 references (my old employer and an associate that I've worked for in the past) but how many should I have?  Do I need to include all my past employment info even if it doesn't relate to transcription?

I really have no idea how to go about this! I am the polar opposite of a salesperson.  Help!

Just send the resume that you have. I don't think - kd

[ In Reply To ..]
you would have to add anything more or take anything away. I would think 2 references would be plenty. She would not have called if she wasn't interested to start with.

Don't let it bother you that much - huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
The woman called because she was interested in the service you provide, right?

If she got huffy about the price, always remember...an MTSO would charge much more than that. If this is working toward an IC job, then they need to be made aware you have to pay your own taxes, etc.

About your resume...if it is an employee position, no problem! If it is for IC you might want to read it over and see what you may need to change word wise. I was always told to provide references if they are asked for. Not sure why this woman needs references from you...she got your name from one didn't she? I will never understand what some people think sometimes.

I do exactly what you are describing - OCD

[ In Reply To ..]
I am completely IC, no MTSO, working directly for/with my providers. I have always used my regular resume, as if I am applying for employment. It shows my experience and qualifications .. that is what I use to "sell" myself. I don't go at it from a marketing-type angle.

I offer references by request, and I use the direct contacts from my two of my accounts (the ones who love me the most), and two personal references.

I also provide samples of my work, with personal patient and physician information removed of course, including a simple SOAP note to the most complex report in my bag.

I have different pricing for different accounts: .09 to .15 cpl, and one account pays by the page. I have to pay for everything myself - taxes, insurance, office supplies, computer maintenance/repair, power, no PTO - and I will mention that to a prospective account if they balk at my prices or if I even get that vibe from them. They usually don't even consider that and are like "oh yeah, huh".

I love my arrangements. Good luck to you!

Similar Messages:

LETNI TRANSCRIPTION - Sent Several Inquiries
Mar 22, 2011

I see there is another posting for a job from this company.  I tested with them back in February and did not receive a response after I completed the test.  I sent several emails inquiring and nothing.   ...

Will Be Sending Inquiries To E-newspapers About MModal.
Aug 19, 2013

...asking if they are interested in an article or essay (heck we practically do that on this board) about what's going on.  Off-shoring is an interesting topic. Will invite them to read this forum. There are many e-news places such as Huffington Post, New York Times, etc.  Awareness needs to be spread. We on this board already know what's going on...other people don't.  Laid-off Day-5. ...

Who Do You Go To When Your CCM Won't Respond?
Sep 09, 2010

I have had no work this entire week.  The only day I got to work that I was scheduled was Sunday.  Since then, NJA for my ENTIRE shift EVERY DAY!! I sent an email to my CCM stating that I cannot continue like this.  I want to know why I am not getting any work and if it is because our accounts don't have any work, I want to be put on an account that DOES have work. I have emailed and emailed and called and called, and she doesn't respond (not that this is new, mind you ...

Please Respond
Apr 06, 2011

I agreed to do a STAT job that was only to be 90 min of dictation within a 24-hour period of time.  When I first responded to do this job, I was told they found someone else to do it.  I then recieved a phone stating that the original transcriptionist bailed on her and could I do it. However, not only did she want the 90 min dictation she wanted a 31 min multi-speaker consultation as well, STAT.  The audio was sent in a format that was not compatible with a foot pedal.  I did the 31 min job, ...

Anyone Who Has Taken FMLA Please Respond
Apr 24, 2015

Hi, I'm considering filing intermittent FMLA for chronic photophobia.  Periodically I cannot look at the monitor and thus cannot work because of it. I have 8 hours PTO left and if I am out of PTO, I need FMLA to cover me taking off without pay. I'm a good producer, show up and work my schedule, high quality, and handle 4 accounts on a weird evening/weekend shift (my choice of work times) so that I do not run out of work.  Previous to this year, I was rarely OOW, but now eve ...

Patient Slow To Respond
Oct 13, 2009

Okay, the physician is unintelligible.  Says the patient is perfectly healthy, but he cannot understand why the patient is so slow to respond.  Duh....Dr. even has the audicity to suggest a neruology consult to see why the patient answers questions so slowly.  Like my brother'in-law was asked if he had "hot buns."  for heartburn.  Sigh.  ...

Anyone Respond To OTI Ad And Hear Back?
Feb 08, 2011

Was just wondering if any of you submitted a response to their ad and heard back from them.  Thanks! ...

Current Precyse MTs Please Respond
May 31, 2013

I have been invited to test with Precyse.  I was just wondering of any current Precyse MTs could tell me if Precyse is a good company to work for, i.e. pay on time, straight typing or speech rec, good platform, responsive management/TL, benefits any good, vacation time available, etc.  I am currently working for a good company but the days/hours stink; so, don't want to jump into the fire so to speak.  Thanks so much for your response ahead of time. ...

Two Questions....respond Please If You Have The Time.
Dec 21, 2014

I have 2 questions that I wold really love some feedback on.  It's not important how long I have been transcribing, the fact is that I have worked for some major MTSOs over the years and the llongest I have ever been on 100% QA is 3-4 weeks, more likely 1-2 weeks.  Now that I am starting my second month with Nuance I have been placed on 3 separate aaccounts.  The first 2 I was fine with, but then they sent me an emial stating that I would be switched over to a new go-live acc ...

Please Respond To Vacation Coverage Question?
May 26, 2010

I have put in a request for time off and have been told that I need to find coverage for that day.  I am a subcontractor.  Is this normal? ...

Question For New Graduates; Seasoned MTs Welcome To Respond Also
Feb 13, 2011

From reading post after post on the New MTs Board, it seems like one of the main reasons a lot of people chose the Medical Transcription field is because they were lured in by the “work at home, when you want” dream.  But when reading through the job opening ads, any type of flexibility is usually reserved for Independent Contractor positions, and IC positions usually want lots of experience so the MT can work with little or no supervision. On top of that, at least in my opinio ...

Anyone Respond To P.r.n. Positions At Medscribe -- I Believe They Are In Florida.
Mar 14, 2012

I just got an email about these positions.  Sounds good to me.  I only want part-time work, so this would be right up my alley.  The pay is kind of low in the beginning, but they do raise you to 8 c/l after probation.  not too shabby huh???  What opinions are there here regarding this company?  Good, bad or otherwise???  I saw their web site here and it sounds okay, but then you never know.  Anyone currently working for this company now???? ...

Anybody Know If Nuance Takes Forever To Respond To
Mar 21, 2014

an application?  I submitted one at least 2 weeks ago... and it was no easy process as I couldn't log into the system, yada, yada.  So, that makes me even wonder if they got my app and resume.  But is it normal that they take forever to respond?  Or is it normal if they don't want you, that they just ignore you?  I just would prefer closure.  I know Nuance well, as far as I know its not the dream job, to say the least.  Just wondering what's up w ...

How Do I Respond To The Psych Eval Posting?
May 08, 2014

How do I respond to the Psych Eval MT position?  There is no email address given in the post and when I try to reply by MT Stars email it gives me a failure notice.  Thanks! ...

Read Something About What Would Go Against Someone In A Coding Interview. Coders Please Respond :)
Dec 05, 2012

I am still a student, so I am still very naive about a few things involving this grand new venture.   But, since I am almost done with my 4th module at Andrews and getting ready to tackle the certification exams, I have been doing a lot of research and reading about people obtainng their first coding jobs or something in HIM.  I read one scenario where the employer was telling of how she narrows it down to 3 candidates.  Of course, if one goes into an interview and seems as i ...

What Do You Do When MTSO Doesn't Respond To Emails Or Let You Know When Work Will Be Available?
Sep 09, 2013

This is my first experience with this and it sucks!!  In training, I had a lot of work and I was told to expect between 80 to 100 minutes a day.  It was close to that the first week.  Now it's going on the third week and I have hardly any work, don't when I will have work, email them asking about work, and no one responds.  I turned down another job for this and I am Pis*%.  Any advice appreciated.  ...

OTI: How Would You Like To Respond To The Recent Work Flow Email And Comment?!
Nov 29, 2013

Does A not realize most of us were celebrating Thanksgiving with our family and giving no thought to OTI?!!!!!!! ...

Local Taxes
Feb 24, 2011

Did I miss something?  I noticed on my paystubs that Medquist/Ultipro is now taking off my local taxes.  Did we get an email about this?  I always had to estimate my local taxes before. ...

Local Anesthesia
Jan 24, 2012

Hi this is a mini op to remove mass on the left hand. He says Anesthesia: Dr. *** "s/l acinic" local with digital block. ...

Anesthesia - MAC With Local...?
Oct 05, 2012

Operative report for removal of a foreign body (wood) in the right ring finger. Anesthesia sentence is very unclear--dictator with an accent mumbling! "ANESTHESIA:  MAC with local [s/l vessel] with metacarpal block [s/l oxygen dioxygen]." Makes no sense. Block also slurrs into the following word which s/l oxygen. ...

Local Texans... Job.
Mar 27, 2013

Saw this ad on FlexJobs and am sharing with those that live in the area... Medical Transcription Clerk III  Agency: Dept of State Health Services  Part Time Regular/Temporary: Regular Job Location: 4615 ALAMEDA AVE City: EL PASO Contact: AccessHR Service Center Telephone: 888-894-4747 Salary Range: $940.88 - $1,364.25 Salary Group: A09 Shift: Days (First) Travel: 5% ...

Med Coding Local Chapters
Oct 11, 2011

Can anyone tell me where to go to find local chapters for medical coders/billers?  I want to attend a Chamber of Commerce meeting and/or ask one of the med coder chapter members what the prospects are for someone like me :  25+ years MT, completed Andrews course, got certified and need a job w/o experience.  (I am still an MT, but seriously want to get out and move forward with medical coding).  I don't want to put all my efforts and hard-earned $$ into something that wo ...

Local Hospital Offer
Dec 28, 2011

In telling my woes to my mom about all the changes at the Web, she of course told others. So I received a call from my "local" hospital's transcription supervisor. They have just created two new positions they are looking to fill. The pay offered is 15.45 an hour plus 15% shift differential for anything after 2 pm. The insurance is awesome, significantly less than what I will be paying for a single policy and available after 30 days of employment. Paid time off of 21 days per year for ...

Local Area Switching To VR
Mar 13, 2012

I have always worked for local hospitals and doctor's offices.  I have never worked through a company, but with most of our local area switching to VR I am having to look to companies for work.  In our local area our transcriptionists usually are paid about 12 cents per line,  but I am noticing most companies pay is substantially lower as i saw an ad for Sten Tel paying only 5-6 cpl.   Could anyone tell me what the norm is for pay with companies?  Thanks for all help. ...

Anyone Local To Valhalla, NY? Med Sec Job At WMC Via Monster.
Jun 09, 2013

. ...

Just Quit A Local Company...
Jun 28, 2013

Quit my job today... I'm not going to say the name of this company but from the info I'm about to give you, you probably will guess it if you have had any experience with them. They watch you like a hawk. You are always feeling like they are watching you very closely - I mean everything you do. Lord help you if you download a very large straight typing report that is more than 30 minutes long and you take a break, you will be called out on it in a nasty email stating your starting time ...

Scribe Classified Ad For Local ER
Oct 14, 2013

I was looking at local job listings and the hospital here posted ad for medical scribe for the ER physicians. Requirements were ability to stand for long periods of time, good hearing, good typing speeds and must carry laptop style computer up to 12 hour shifts. All this for $8.50 per hour. Ridiculous! Ad has been running for almost a month now. I sure am not applying for that! ...

Just Spent An Hour Looking At Local Classified Ads.
Jul 31, 2010

I am such a good transcriptionist, but so very unqualified for anything else.  Even cashiers need "previous experience."  There was a housekeeping job at a local hospital and a "valet parking attendant."  Surely I can clean and park? ...

CONTACT LOCAL NEWSPAPERS ABOUT LAYOFFS!
Sep 03, 2010

If anyone is in the Atlanta, Georgia area or in the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania area who was laid off 2 days ago by Webmedx and is obviously still upset about it, as I am, I think it would be a good idea to notify any local newspapers in these 2 cities regarding the recent massive layoff at Webmedx, Inc. I believe the Atlanta office is their headquarters and the Pittsburgh office is their operations office.  I know they also have an office in Brentwood, Tennessee, but I'm ...

Question About Working For Local Physician - (sm)
May 31, 2011

I just have a question for anyone who works for a local physician.  I work FT for an MTSO.  A local doctor asked me last year if I would transcribe for him while his MT was on vacation.  I said yes and I go there next week to train.  My problem is, I don't know what to charge him.  His assistant mentioned it to me on the phone and i said I would tell her when I come to the office next week.  Does anyone who transcribes for a local doc get paid by the hour?  ...