A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Average per hour with 0.75 or 0.375 versus $12.00 per hour - confused

Posted: Mar 31, 2014

My transcription job was always paid by the hour. I was laid off and they recently offered me a temp position with them making $12.00 an hour.  I was also offered a positon that pays 7.5 and 3.5 cpl.  The $12.00 is employee status for a small local company I worked for over 9 years.  The other is an IC position.  Do you think I would make more with the $12.00 an hour or the per line production rate?  I have never done production by line work so I'm not sure what to expect.

Oh God, take the $12, it is rare to reach that on production pay! - and forget about bogus, oops, meant bonus. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xo

Chances are you would get more VR and make the - 0.0375 cpl since VR

[ In Reply To ..]
Is more prominent. And a0.0375 cpl, you would have to consistently average 325 lph to make $12.18 an hr. And with that you have to factor in difficult dictators that can sometimes take longer, poor VR quality requiring a ton of corrections and if work is slow or runs out you won't make anything.

I would take the $12 an hour that way if you have a bad day and it takes you 15-20 min to get through a report because of poor sound quality or someone difficult to understand, you will make the $12 an hr regardless.

$12/hr. - Linda Nitzschke

[ In Reply To ..]
Take the hourly rate, IF for no other reason than you'll know what you are going to make on payday, thus allowing you to actually budget accurately.

Thank you - OP

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the replies. I am leaning towards the $12.00 an hour job. The IC job is more flexible though with scheduling.

hourly rate - kabina

[ In Reply To ..]
I would take the hourly rate, yes, as we see MT work continuing to go downhill all the time and you just can't count on the income.
Stability over flexibility makes more sense in this unstable profession. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
xo

Average per hour - Brightchild

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot of variables have to be considered when switching from per hour rates versus production and whether you should make the switch. Depending on the account you might be able to make more. I have worked for one account for 8+ years and easily make $20 an hour but they use a lot of normals, etc., and they are very easy docs. However, another account I have, I make 1/2 that because they are all ESL docs and I spend a lot of time looking at the past reports, looking up lab values, etc. Make sure you take all this into account when choosing.

other things to consider - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
other things might include taxes -- as an IC taxes are done differently and for some it is a hardship. Also as an IC you have no benefits (other than schedule which often turns out not to be flexible after all). Pretty sure there is no workers comp, no unemployment should it come to that.

Similar Messages:

What Is The Average Line Rate Per Hour Or Per 8 Hour Shift?
Apr 21, 2011

Hi:I am make incentive based on minutes, but I work on a system that lets me check how many lines and minutes I have typed in a day also. Just in case I have to get another job based on lines, I wanted to know what is the average amount of lines per hour or per 8 hour shift. Thanks for the advice in advance. MeL ...

Average Pay Per Hour
Jun 19, 2013

Does anyone know what the AVERAGE transcriptionst makes per hour?  Most are paid per line now, but I am just wondering what people are earning per hour.  I am a transcriptionst working for an orthopedist.  I have 15+ years experience and have been working with this company for a few years now.  I am currently being paid 13.90 per hour.  I am an independent contractor, so no benefits, PTO, 401K, etc.  For some reason I just feel like I am being paid very low consider ...

Amphion MTs - How Much $$ Do You Average Per Hour?
Mar 30, 2013

OK - I'm considering this company. I would love to hear from any Amphioners how much they average per hour and how long it took to get there.  I know the training pay is $10/hour, so I'm sure its more than that.  If you care to add which team you're on, that would be nice, too.  ...

How Many Lines Do Ya'll Average Per 8 Hour Day?
Feb 04, 2015

and is that straight/VR or both? Thanks! ...

How Much Do You Consistently Average Per Hour As An MT
May 17, 2015

nm ...

How Many Minutes Of Dictation Can You Do In An Hour/day On Average?
Feb 18, 2010

I was just wondering your best estimate of how many minutes of dictation you can do per hour/day. My manager is calculating that the average MT can do 100 minutes of dictation per day. This seems very low to me since I can usually do at least 20 minutes of dictation per hour with a mix of traditional typing and VR (more typing than VR). Am I just an anomaly? ...

How Many Lines/hour Do You Average Doing Editing At Transcend? Sm
Jan 19, 2010

Hi, could anyone post what your lines per hour have been for the editing on BeyondTXT?  What would be considered good?    ...

Powerscribe - How Many Lines Per Hour Do You Edit On Average?
Jun 01, 2010

I was wondering if anybody out there was paid per line for Powerscribe and how many lines per hour do you edit on average?  I have always been paid a report rate for Powerscribe Radiology.  Also, which version do you use?  Thanks!! ...

What Is A Good Average Lines Per Hour On Meditech?
Mar 30, 2011

I have just started on Meditech.  Never used it before.  I am a long time veteran of 30 years, but this sure doesn't seem like a very productive program.  Any productivity tips??  I just wondered what a good average lph rate would be. ...

What Is AVERAGE Line Count Per Hour For An MT To Type
Aug 17, 2013

Just wondering, what is an Average line count per hour for an MT?  I worked in a pathology office for almost 5 years, but we never kept count of lines per hour.  When we pulled an audit once, we were only typing about 700-800 a day between myself and the lady I worked with.  I had to pull all the slides for the doctor, help with grossing, assist in frozen sections, etc.  I was hired for a job where they want me to type 135 lines per hour, that's ...

What Is The Average Line Count That MTs Can Edit Per Hour?
Mar 26, 2014

Thinking of applying at Nuance, what is the average line count that MTs can edit per hour? ...

Average Line Counts On An 8-hour Shift Doing Speech Recognition?
Sep 23, 2011

What are the average line counts on an 8-hour shift doing speech recognition?  I use Dictaphone/Extext.  I'm producing on average about 240/hr sometimes less. Any info appreciated. ...

Just Wondering What You Make Per Hour, Based On A 40-hour Week...sm
Jul 26, 2013

I know none of us get paid by the hour, but I was just wondering if any of you have ever figured out just how much you earn per hour, based on a 40-hour week. I'm just trying to figure out where I fit in. I seem to be earning $16-18/hour give or take based on how my week goes.  ...

Minimum Wage Versus Lines Per Hour.
Jan 02, 2013

So I have been very careful not clocking in when work is low because I don't want my LPH to suffer, BUT.....Is there anyone out there who just clocks in and takes the reports slow as they come and accepts the minimum wage?  Do you get "naughty" emails from your lead telling you that you need to pick it up or clock out?  I hope this makes sense.  It just occurec to me that minimum wage would be better than no wage when work is low. ...

Calculating Lines Per Hour Versus Time Worked
May 14, 2010

Hi everyone:) Just wanted to know how to calculate a line rate based on the number of hours worked, which is for Transcend.  Got a "not so nice" message from my TL saying I had better adjust my lines AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to make it balance out with the # of lines I am producing, or else!!  I would like to know if 1 of you kind, wonderful MTs would help me.  Thanks!! ...

Would You Choose Webmedx Production Versus Local Hospital Salary Of $17/hour
Aug 13, 2010

Which would be the best choice?  In the event that you had a great account at Webmedx on 3rd shift based on production rates, which would give you the most money?  Decisions, decisions!  Any comments? ...

Median Versus Average Lines?
Sep 03, 2011

Can someone tell me the difference between median and average lines per hour?  My median is 283.3, but my average is 247.9 (this is just for today's date).  I have been working for 6 hours and my lines are 1320.  Does not compute... lol Thanks. ...

Is $14 Per Hour Too Low For QA Pay?
Dec 15, 2009

NM ...

$4.22 An Hour
Aug 06, 2010

Today I made $4.22 in one hour, doing one report; however, I am not entirely disgruntled. I only left one blank and have a sample for next time. There is a sense of accomplishment when you figure out the blanks after extensive researching online. ...

$10 An Hour
Sep 24, 2010

I need to find a job that averages more than $10 an hour. I have 20 years' experience in med trans and am a fast typist, but with the slow platforms and the constant "breakdowns" and being out of work, I am only averaging $10 an hour. Another problem is my line counts have dropped from 250 per hour to around 100 and cannot figure out why.  Any ideas?  Thanks ...

Best Hour EVER
Oct 19, 2010

I've been doing MT forEVER.  Today I pushed the envelope as hard as I could and I transcribed 734 lines in one hour.  I was totally "on," dictators were great, and being in the zone helps.  I doubt I will ever replicate it, my hands are still trembly! LOL!  But I wanted to see what I could do. Nice to still get some firsts after a lifetime in this field and firsts that are positives, not negatives! ...

$3 An Hour
Dec 02, 2010

So I have been working for a few months now but it is so hard to increase my line count. First of all quality comes before quantity, but I also have so many different physicians that it seems impossible to increase my line count. I also have a lot of ESL docs, but I do prefer them over a doc who mumbles. Right now I am making about 3-4 bucks an hour. It stinks. Would you work for that amount?? ...

$15 An Hour.
Feb 13, 2012

I don't know why I picked $15 an hour for this little experiment, but for some reason it strikes me that across the board that's about what a lot of MTs are averaging these days.  Could be a bit more, a bit less, but I had to pick a number. The experiment:  1.  Identify other jobs paying similar rates. 2.  Select some that generally come close to what I might call the "ambience" of MT as it now exists. I think I've found it, and here is where I wish with al ...

Took Me An Hour To Do
Apr 09, 2012

resplendent with tables and dictated through a tin can and string by a smug cardiologist who kept changing his mind. Took me over an hour to do. Checked the line count and I made $5.74. Really? And I'm supposed to be grateful I have a job. Can I draw unemployment to make up to minimum wage on that hour? ...

$12.00 AN HOUR
Jan 25, 2014

I have 25 years of MT experience.  With the decline of the MT profession, I applied for a data entry position at $12.00 an hour.  However, this company has a transcription department and has me doing transcription now, but they are still paying me $12.00 an hour.  Any thoughts? ...

So This Is What It Has Come To? $15 An Hour Max?
Feb 08, 2014

I know some of you are struggling to make minimum wage.  I have 32 years of teaching hospital experience.  I have had my own accounts.  I have had my own service.  And now after 32 years the most I can make, typing has hard and as fast as I can, is $15 an hour.  If I were 5 years older, I could retire (not that I can afford to retire, but I would get almost as much in Social Security as I get now working).I've made the big bucks.  I have had many lucrative year ...

$5 Per Hour
Mar 17, 2014

This is what I made yesterday. It seems to depend on the day. I had so many reports that had big chunks of sentences missing. Of course, as always, all medicine lists, the numbers were wrong, a few drugs spelled wrong. Vital signs wrong. Lab counts wrong. Don't you love when a new sentence starts with a number and this happens. 1. Numbering is such a huge issue still for voice rec. I know I will get a nasty email today reminding me that days like yesterday will cause MUP that j ...

By The Hour
Apr 27, 2014

Somebody somewhere got paid big bucks to devise some cockamamie formula for what they think we should achieve, lines per hour, etc, which doesn't work, does it, because every account is different, some weighted heavily toward editing and others toward transcription, some heavy ESL, others not.  There are too many variables to put us all under one roof production-wise.  If they wanted to simplify, why not pay us by the hour with an additonal ...

Per Hour Pay
Jun 27, 2014

What do you people think about a $55/ audio hour rate for transcribing?  Faxing individual notes to various MDs and uploading whole file and then individual reports to pt record to server included.  Is that enough for all that work? Thanks ...

6.60 An Hour On Second Day
Aug 28, 2014

I only made 6.60 an hour on my second day of work.  I was used to getting paid by the hour.  Did anyone else start off like this and get better? How long will it take? ...