A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Would appreciate some help from current CMTs to help me decide - Michelle

Posted: Apr 17, 2011

Does your employer offer a differential for being a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist)? 

I am on the fence as to whether to take the CMT test now or just wait until it becomes mandatory.  Would really appreciate some help from current CMTs to maybe sway me one way or the other. 

Since I am currently looking for a new employer, this may be the perfect time for me to decide.  If I go the CMT route, then I would probably apply to companies that will pay me more for the CMT and also maybe reimburse for maintaining it. 

I was looking through a bunch of job posts and found only 2 MTSOs who actually advertise that they offer a CMT differential - MedScribe (Florida) and TTS (New Hampshire).  Two other MTSOs listed they “prefer” CMTs but did not state if they pay more for that. 

I would really like to know what other MTSOs also offer a CMT differential or bonus of some sort, and more importantly how much is the differential or bonus. 

Also, I am curious as to whether it is mostly Employee status MTSOs who offer this or are there some Independent Contractor companies who told you they are willing to pay more because of a CMT credential. 

So my questions are:

1.  Name of company that offers differential or bonus for CMT

2.  Amount of differential or bonus (i.e. extra 1 cpl for CMT or $500 per year bonus)

3.  Are you an Employee or Independent Contractor

4.  Are you technically in-house (working for a hospital/clinic in their office or at-home but still employed by the hospital/clinic) or remote (working at home for an MTSO employee or as an Independent Contractor). 

The MTSO name would be great, but I know some MTs are very protective of their employer’s names for fear of being overrun with job applicants, so if you do not want to name the company, just indicate that yes, the MTSO you work for offers it, how much it is, if you are an Employee or an Independent Contractor, and if you are in-house or remote.    

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  It will help me a great deal in deciding my future plans. 

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Feel free to Email me the company name if you are more comfortable doing it that way.  Thank you. 

Here's the list from AHDI of which companies - reward credentials. sm

[ In Reply To ..]

http://www.ahdionline.org/EducationTraining/CredentialsDesignations/WhoCaresIfYoureCertified/tabid/168/Default.aspx

Wow 13 companies reward credentials. And there are how many MT - companies in the US?

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

It's actually a surprisingly incomplete list. - Webmedx and Transcend,

[ In Reply To ..]
2 of the largest MTSOs (the largest, Medquist also there), are not listed, though I know personally both support credentialing. Additional pay is, of course, the best way to "favor" people with it, but not the only one.

When I was with Transcend some while ago, the company irked me good by paying a whole cent per line more to CMTs; even if it doesn't pay anything at all more now (?), the credentialed applicant is going to be favored. Same for Webmedx, where I currently get a quarter cent per line more for the credential. WMX also encouraged obtaining it, organizing study groups, encouraging an employee chapter of AHDI, and paying a significant part of the costs (which is why I have it now).
I assume by looking at this list that they are including - SaltyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
hospitals and medical centers, as there were a couple listed. So in the United States, there are 13 companies (including hospitals and medical centers) that offer any kind of incentive for being a CMT? And that should make me want to run out and pay $300 for certification?

Oh excuse me, I forgot to add Webmedx and Transcend to the list. So now it's 15! Well bust my buttons, that's a horse of a different color!

Hey Dorothy, you and Toto need to stop chasing rainbows and come back to Kansas.
The MT coordinator at the local hospital didn't even know what AHDI or the CMT credential was! - Not wasting my money
[ In Reply To ..]
I recently interviewed at a local hospital. During the interview, I asked if they paid more for the CMT as I had been thinking about getting it. She asked me what that was, and when I mentioned AHDI, she said she had never heard of them. I thought it funny since she supposedly had over 20 years on the job.
Shame on her for not knowing her industry. sm - tiredmt
[ In Reply To ..]
Whether or not someone agrees with ADHI, there is no excuse for working in an industry and not knowing what associations are out there, even if it is just one or two. Shame on her.

Good list. Now I know at 13 companies I would - NEVER want to work for.

[ In Reply To ..]

JMO - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I know I'm gonna' get flamed here, but IMO if the only reason you are getting your CMT is to get paid more, then you don't understand the importance of the CMT at all. It's not about getting paid 50 cents more per line. Further, why should an employer have to pay for the exam or the CE credits to maintain it? Any other medical professional who is required to have a certification/license to be hired pays for their own education, their own certification, and their own continuing education to maintain that certification.

IMO, MT pay across the board should be increasing rather than decreasing -- BUT I also believe that certification should become mandatory. We jump up & down all day on this board about how we get no respect, nobody knows how hard our jobs are, nobody appreciates how vital we are to the medical records process, yadda yadda yadda - but only 2700 of us are willing to put our skills to the test??

Earning your CMT is about earning respect for our PROFESSION and proving to those outside the MT world that we aren't just "typists," but that we have specialized skills and a specific knowledge base required to do our jobs.

Respect is not a God-given right and cannot simply be demanded - it has to be earned.

JMO - and now I'll step back and let the rocks be hurled my directions.

correcting myself - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Well obviously, if it was worth 50 cents more per line we'd all be taking it!

Meant to say 1/2 cent.

Hurl at extra rock my direction (no s on the end...) for the typos :-)

I've been up for more than 30 minutes now and had my requisite pot of coffee...

You can't order up respect through a credential. - CMT here, but...

[ In Reply To ..]
You also can't order up line rates above market levels that way--unless the credential is required by federal or state law, and then only until the industry gets the law changed or finds ways to get around it (offshoring, not hiring in those states, and front-end SR immediately come to mind). A credential will also not change a skilled job into a profession. People wanting a profession need to go (back?) to college and prepare for one.

The biggest problem, though, with trying to impose a credential on everyone is that it's simply not needed at this time, although substantial change in the scope of work might change that. Right now, though, all employers are able to determine definitely within the first day or so, usually the first few hours, if a person is qualified. After all, this is a very, very narrow line of work involving no authority, minimal responsibility, and minimal analysis. Beyond what shows up on those initial uploaded reports, what's left to find out? Or, what deficit is it the CMT is supposed to protect them against?

JMO responding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that the CMT doesn't get you automatic respect, and no it doesn't magically change a "job" into a "profession," but I think it helps. Personally, I don't think MT is a "job" - it is already a profession, it just isn't recognized as such by many because they see us as "typists" and don't understand fully what we do. That is why I think credentialing gives us leverage to promote our "profession" -- right now we have no degree to earn and I don't really think we need one. But, credentialing shows people that we DO have a specialized skill set and knowledge base that is required to do the job, not just a good typing speed.

Nothing gets you automatic respect -- as I said, it is earned. But, one way to earn it is to show your commitment to your job, to your ongoing education, and to staying "on top of" technology and information related to your job. One way of doing that is to become credentialed.

I disagree with your 2nd paragraph, if I understand it correctly. You are saying that an employer doesn't need a credential to determine if someone is qualified for a job. Certainly, that is not the only measure of someone's qualifications, but why should an employer have to hire someone to be able to observe them and decide if they are qualified, as you suggest? They should have confidence that an MT is qualified before they hire her/him. A credential is just another tool the employer can use when interviewing candidates to determine who is qualified before giving them the job. Certainly, it is not the only tool, but honestly, if I were an employer looking at 2 candidates with similar work experience but 1 was certified and 1 was not, the certification would weigh heavily in the favor of that MT. She (or he) has demonstrated their commitment to keeping up with the constantly changing medical field and their confidence in their skills. IMO, becoming credentialed shows as much about an MT's character and work ethic as it does about her skills.

That is not to say there aren't many, many MTs out their who are extremely skilled and knowledgable who do not have their CMT, but I think to remain competitive in the future those MTs will need to become certified & I don't think that is a bad thing. I think it gives credence to our field and I think if we are going to be successful in keeping our field afloat, as it where, we need to quit complaining about no respect and falling pay and prove that we have the skills and knowledge to be considered an integral part of the medical records process and to be paid fairly for our talents.

No, I don't think credentially is THE solution to all that plagues the MT field, but it is a step in the right direction.

Similar Messages:

For Current (or Former) CMTs....Please.....need Advice
Aug 15, 2010

I know a lot of MTs don't feel getting credentialed is worthwhile for various reasons; however, I feel like my company is going to eventually require this of all their MTs.  Whether they are in cahoots with ADHI and it's all just a money-making scam or not I don't know. I can't worry about that.  I don't have anything against being required to be certified by the way--I just feel that if they are going to make this requirement there should be some reimbursement ...

WMX CMTs-Will You Be Renewing Your CMT...sm
Dec 18, 2009

credential when it comes up for renewal?  They aggressively pushed this credential a few years ago and I got it (I felt pressured to), but I really hear nothing about wanting a credentialed work force from the company now. Due to the fact that our insurance has really been stink-o starting last year and this year's deductible is now $500 higher with no raise in 3+ years, I am seriously thinking about dropping it.  I was wondering if anyone else was going to do that ...

Question For CMTs
Sep 19, 2011

I am thinking about taking the test to become a CMT.  If you have done this, what references would you recommend that I have in front of me while taking the test?  Has anyone failed the test on their first try and if so, can you retake it without paying a second fee?  I have been an MT for a long time and should be able to pass the test but I'm worried they might fail you for little things.  What other suggestions can anyone offer?  I know there will be people ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...

More CMTs Coming From Off-shore
Dec 18, 2010

New CMT & RMT tests out, so off-shore will be teaching to the tests big time.  This is going on in our industry and others; but savvy big companies are awake and tweaking certification testing to catch the problem; not sure ADHI is sophisticated enough for that.  I am really NOT sure they WANT to address that issue.  Watch the flood of new CMTs from off-shore...and what it does to availability of our jobs.  (Yet there will be the re ...

Any MQ CMTs Out There With Thoughts On Testing? I Am Thinking About It.
May 26, 2010

All I see is the test costs $$.  I have been an MT for 5+ years and would probably pass.  How difficult is it to keep up with thier recredentialing requirements?  I don't have time to do extra "homework" for free.  If it is job-related, it should be on the clock IMO.   It is a little irritating that we have to keep being tested all the time with audits, etc., and now they are pushing us to be CMT.  If I am being pushed to meet extremely high standards, I ...

Does Anyone Know How Many Total CMTs There Currently Are In The United States?
Apr 17, 2011

Does AHDI list the total number of U.S. CMTs anywhere on their website?  I have been looking, but could not find anything.  Anyone have any idea what the number might be currently?    ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Help Me Decide
Mar 29, 2011

Hope someone can help me.  I have worked for a couple of MTSO for around 10 years.  Will be switching to VR soon.  I am starting to have problems forcing myself to work at least 2 straight hours without interrupting myself either out of boredom or because someone interrupted me (I work from home).  I can never seem to get over 200 lines per hour and the benefits are not great.  I applied to a hospital in house (about 35 minutes away).  The only shift they had was a ...

Can't Decide Between MA Or LPN
May 22, 2013

I am going to do it - get out of MTing for good and really, really want to work in patient care.  I love the thought of being an LPN, but I'm seeing so many jobs for medical assistants.  It seems to me as though MAs are replacing LPNs.  A hospital near me has 13 openings for medical assistants and only one opening for an LPN.  Which way to go is the best? Confused! ...

How Do You Decide What Is Okay To Abbreviate?
Mar 27, 2011

I know some are obvious, like MRI, but how do you decide what is okay to abbreviate and what is not?  For example, I am transcribing for a neurologist/sleep study doc and he uses CPAP, COPD, and JVD a lot.  Are those to be spelled out?  In school, we learned that everything should be spelled out, but I have seen evidence to the contrary in several books.  What is your opinion? ...

Trying To Decide Which School
Nov 01, 2011

Ive been trying to decide which school to take the MT course....Andrews or MTEC. I know there has been lots of posts already but I have a few unanswered questions. I have a pretty good idea how MTEC works since they have a webinar showing & explaining their learning platform. I also know that they are all online and if you choose to buy books to study its extra. Im trying to find out how you learn at Andrews and what materials are included. I know i need to call but i want to hear from real peop ...

Trying To Decide Between Employee And IC...
Dec 08, 2011

I am a little math challenged.  Does anyone know which would be better (general ballpark idea) employee at 8 cpl, or IC at 9 cpl?  I do not need the insurance, as I have private insurance, so strictly paywise.  Is it better to take the lower cpl and not have to pay the entire tax, or the higher cpl and pay all taxes?  TIA.  ...

Trying To Decide To Test For A Job
Apr 15, 2012

I applied for a VR job that I'm not sure I want. I don't mind the VR so much but it doesn't pay much but I really only want a part-time job and this one is full time. I am wondering what these companies consider full time. Some say 32 to 40 hours per week. Not sure I like the days either with one weekend day included. ...

How Did They Decide Which Managers To Let Go?
Oct 25, 2014

Mine was let go.  She seemed very efficient and nice.  Do they decide by how many years you are employed by MM? ...

Trying To Decide, SoftScript Or Amphion
Nov 05, 2010

Both part-time, both let me choose my schedule; however, Amphion is primarily editing and SoftScript is straight transcription at more than double the editing pay offered by Amphion.  Anyone have any experience working for both or is anyone currently employed by either and can offer some insight in how they are to work for? Thanks for any info, good, bad or indifferent! ...

Help! Can't Decide On This Job Offer - Precyse?
Jan 31, 2013

So, I've been agonizing over this decision for a week now. I have a job offer from Precyse, willing to give me the schedule I want and work around my college courses, and about the highest production pay I would expect from any service. This would mean I could leave MModal with a terrible schedule (10 hours on Saturdays), and it is very hard to get time off, terrible management, but I would also be leaving the work I've known for over 10 years. I worked for this hospital (very cushy tr ...

Average LPH For TTS Accounts?? Trying To Decide
Jul 25, 2014

Can anyone share what the average line count you are getting at TTS?  I know it makes a difference what accounts you have, etc. but just wondering what employees are getting for LPH.  I have read that speech engine is very good with accounts.  Will help me make a decision if it is worth it. ...

I Have Idea All MTSO Get Together In Conference Call And Decide
Dec 26, 2010

gotten pay down to basically nothing, what else can we do to get more facility money for ourselves.  We cant squeeze facilities more without them going elsewhere, guess we have to squeeze MTs more.  Heck, some have even decided to make MTs pay for platform costs, pay rent for loaned equipement - loaned so MT can do the job MTSO needs done - or started a "mentoring" division so they can basically get work done for free.  What will they think of next???? ...

Trying To Decide Between Enrolling In A Medical Coding Course Or A Physical Therapy Assistant Course
Sep 20, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Why, Oh Why, Do They Get To The Laboratory/diagnostic Data Portion And Decide To Speed Talk...Grrr!!
May 12, 2011

nm ...

Current TTD MTs
Oct 21, 2011

Would like to hear from current MTs their opinion and any info you would care to share about TTD.   Thanks. ...

Current Cpl
Apr 15, 2013

What is the current cpl rate that companies should be paying?  ...

I'm A Current MM MT And Would Like To Become MME.
Jan 10, 2015

I can't find any info anymore. Are there still MMEs and are they still testing for this position? Thanks! ...

Any Current Information On TTS
Jan 17, 2010

Would appreciate any current information on TTS, particular related to IC status.  Thanks much. ...

Current Information On TTS
Feb 01, 2010

Thinking of applying and just wondering about pay, platform, accounts etc. Any information would be good. I just want to make sure it is a good place to work.  From the archives, it looks like it is pretty mixed.  People either love it or hated it due to the strict scheduling.  Is the schedule still strict for ICs? Thanks in advance for your information. ...

What Is The Current MQ Atmosphere Like?
Feb 14, 2010

I keep getting recruitment emails, but I am leary from all the bad press I have seen in the past.  I really need a job and wonder if I should reconsider.  Any thoughts?  How is the pay? Do they hire PT?  Need the scoop. ...

Current Information On MD-IT?
Mar 07, 2010

Does anyone have any current information on MD-IT?   I searched the boards and the archives and found nothing.  If anyone could share any information at all, I would appreciate it, thanks. ...

Looking For Current Information On TTS Please (sm)
Jan 05, 2011

Have read the archives but most of it is from 2009 and older, a few posts in 2010 but really hoping to find out more current information.  They are offering IC status but then list the shifts that they expect you to work???  How is the pay, platform, volume of work, managers, communication, you name it, I would like to know it.  :)   TIA ...

Current CMT's - Is It Worth It?
Jan 08, 2011

If I take the CMT test the goal is to increase my income from my current earnings as a full time MT/ME.  But is it worth the $$ and time required to prepare for and take the CMT test?  I am confident that I would have no problem passing the test after adequate review, etc. So is it worth the effort?  Bottom line -- it will cost money to take the exam and it will cost money to either enroll in a review course or buy review materials to prepare for the exam. And the CMT credential ...