A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

For current (or former) CMTs....Please.....need advice - Kiki

Posted: Aug 15, 2010

I know a lot of MTs don't feel getting credentialed is worthwhile for various reasons; however, I feel like my company is going to eventually require this of all their MTs.  Whether they are in cahoots with ADHI and it's all just a money-making scam or not I don't know. I can't worry about that.  I don't have anything against being required to be certified by the way--I just feel that if they are going to make this requirement there should be some reimbursement involved.  For example, my company does (finally) offer a shift diff of 0.005 cents per line. 

My question for CMTs out there is:  How difficult is it once you become a CMT to maintain your credentials?  I was looking through all the ways you can get CECs, but it looks like they all require spending even more money.  I don't mind spending a little money and some time, but do you end up spending even more than you get in your CMT differential (assuming you get one).  Are there ways to earn free CECs?  How much time do you really need to spend earning CECs (not much?  too much?)  Any advice about this subject would be SO appreciated.  Thanks in Advance!!!!!! 

CMT - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a former CMT. I had to travel out of town to take the certification exam. I was pretty active in AAMT and was an officer in our local chapter. I dropped my membership when the dues became too expensive; at that time they were $100 a year, they are more now. I traveled a lot to attend workshops to maintain my certification and also used to read medical journals and write articles to get my CECs. Our local and area chapters fizzled out over the years and it became more difficult to keep up, but I did love the learning aspect and networking with others in the same profession. AHDI probably offers audio seminars which would be another way to get CECs but I'm sure none of it is free. Coders go through the same thing, and for us certification is required. There's nothing wrong with being a CMT if you want it, the choice is yours although I know others will disagree. Hope this helps, good luck.

You're misleading readers by your message - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
You seem to imply that you have to travel and attend workshops to maintain your credentials. You said, "I'm sure none of it is free" but you are incorrect. There are ways to do it that are, in fact, free. It also is no longer necessary to travel out of town to take the certification exam. In fact, I don't remember that ever being the case.

Actually, you do...sm - CMT test

[ In Reply To ..]
They have testing centers where you go to take the CMT. I don't know of any other way. I drove an hour to take mine.
We used to be able to take the tests from our homes - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Testing from home - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe AHDI permits this now, but they never did in the past. Candidates had to go to a testing center where the test was timed and monitored by a proctor, the coding exams are the same way. The best thing would probably be to consult the AHDI website for the current testing guidelines.
Correcting a little misinformation in your post - CMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Years ago we were able to take the exams from our own homes. Then they changed it to an office or business location. Many years later they changed it to a testing center, which is how it has been done recently.
I took my exam in the early 1980's - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
And traveled to a testing center. I am not misinformed, I certainly did not dream it. I am speaking for myself, I ought to know what I did.
I took mine about that time from the office where I worked - Not that it matters but a point of fact
[ In Reply To ..]
We didn't all have to travel. There was an opportunity to test from your own home for while and then later they restricted it to business addresses. None of that matters these days though, because it's all done in testing centers, which seem to be available in most places. That's probably more practical, but I enjoyed doing it where I was comfortable, on my own computer.
That part of her message is correct if you live in a town without a testing center - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
You don't have to travel to attend workshops to maintain your credentials though - Never did have to do that
[ In Reply To ..]
The reading articles in journals and summarizing them, etc., has always been option.

Thanks for that reply n/m - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Misleading - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
It was in the mid 1980s. I didn't live in a very big town and the exam was not offered locally. I traveled with another MT to Salem, Oregon and it was administered at a community college. Our local chapter did not offer much in the way of meetings or seminars and I did travel a lot to attend workshops. There was no internet then, and it was not as easy to do distance learning as it is now. When I said none of it was free, I was referring to the AHDI offerings. You may not remember the things I spoke about but I've been an MT for over 30 years and that is how it was back then. If I misled anyone, I apologize.

I think you're incorrect about coders - Coder/MT

[ In Reply To ..]
You said that certification is required, but it isn't. It makes it much easier to get a job, but you can be a coder without being certified.

Good luck with that - nm - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
XXX
Please don't misinterpret what I said - Coder/MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't say it was wise to do coding without credentials. They aren't required, but they certainly are recommended.
Yes - sm - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't applied for any jobs yet because I am still a student, but nearly all of the advertised jobs require certification. Where I work as an MT, you can get hired for an entry level coding position without it but they expect you to get your certification ASAP. The coders who are certified definitly have an advantage in the job market. Thanks for clarifying your message.
Look at how I spelled "definitely," LOL! - Aspiring coder
[ In Reply To ..]
It was too early in the morning when I wrote that!

I'm in the same boat - expensive

[ In Reply To ..]
I let the first year go by without any CECs and now feel like I'm behind. I think it's ridiculous what you have to spend on their approved ways to get your CECs. Just another way for them to get your money and I hate giving it to them. Hoping you get some good hints because I could use them too.

see msg......... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
If you haven't already seen it, check out the post below "How I got my CECs"
Lots of free ways to get CECs.....

0.005 cpl is PEANUTS, and an insult to any MT. - Please DO NOT fall for this scam! (nm)

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Well, for me, that extra 0.005 would be about - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
an extra $100 per pay period, or $200 per month. That's not exactly peanuts.

But, apparently you have to pay yearly dues (not sure what this is) and pay various amounts to keep up your credential, that's why I was asking if there were free ways to do it. If so, i it might be worth it. 200 per month equals an extra $2400 per year, and I'm pretty sure that would way more than cover the dues/fees for getting CECs.

I do hate that ADHI is the one who gets the money, though. May be a mute point for me, as I suspect my company will soon demand us all to be certified.

Im not sure, but I think its illegal for a company to - force employees to join organizations.

[ In Reply To ..]
This may be true; however, I think the way - Kiki
[ In Reply To ..]
they will "force" us to not to actually come out and say we have to have it but to "weed" out the ones who don't....they want to get rid of higher paid MTs anyway so they can send more to India. They will then need CMTs back here to clean up the crap that India puts out. I think we all know what company I'm talking about...

How I got my CECs - Former CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an AHDI member then you get the journal and can read articles and submit summaries. I used to get a lot of CECs that way.

If you don't want to be a member, then there are plenty of on-line medical journals that suffice to do summaries.

I think there are free videos on You Tube of medical procedures and whatnot that count as well.

If you have any friends/family that work at local hospitals you can often sit in on grand rounds or other seminars that come up, usually for free.

I would check out the official AHDI requirements which are pretty detailed probably on the web site.

with the internet I think there are lots of ways to get free credits.

Hope this helps.

Those were the days - sm - Aspiring coder

[ In Reply To ..]
After I posted, I remembered the Journal. It was really good back in the day and always worth reading. We didn't have You Tube then but I was able to observe cardiac bypass surgery at a teaching hospital which was a great learning experience. I was paid peanuts in those days but I never equated my CMT with what I was paid, I really did it because I loved learning, no one should ever stop doing that. I chose not to pay the dues any more, AAMT (AHDI) had nothing to do with my choice.

Nothing has changed. There is still a journal. - CMT

[ In Reply To ..]
"Those were the days" sounds like there is no longer a journal. There is. It still works the same way. It may not be as good as it used to be, but it didn't cease to exist.

Thank you! Those are some really great ideas..... - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
You have helped me and hopefully some others out as well. :)

It's very easy to maintain your CMT - Not a problem

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether you like AHDI or not, the CMT credential isn't difficult to maintain. You can do it by reading journal articles or attending meetings, etc. They are tightening up a bit on what is acceptable, but I've always found things that I enjoyed reading and learning from anyway. Again, this has nothing to do with whether you like or dislike AHDI. That's another story.

Not getting their fake credential is all about NOT - SUPPORTING a scam organization that -

[ In Reply To ..]
has sent our jobs to India, and driven our pay down to ridiculously low levels. If you believe in them (and their ulterior motive - to get rid of all us pesky American MTs once and for all, so they can line their already-bulging pockets with even more money), then go right on ahead. Give them your money, sell them your soul, and watch your livelihood go away forever.

My comment was just about maintaining your CMT - Not giving my opinion on AHDI today

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not into raving about or ranting about AHDI today. Maybe another day. My comment was simply on maintaining a CMT.

Similar Messages:

Would Appreciate Some Help From Current CMTs To Help Me Decide
Apr 17, 2011

Does your employer offer a differential for being a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist)?  I am on the fence as to whether to take the CMT test now or just wait until it becomes mandatory.  Would really appreciate some help from current CMTs to maybe sway me one way or the other.  Since I am currently looking for a new employer, this may be the perfect time for me to decide.  If I go the CMT route, then I would probably apply to companies that will pay me more for the C ...

WMX CMTs-Will You Be Renewing Your CMT...sm
Dec 18, 2009

credential when it comes up for renewal?  They aggressively pushed this credential a few years ago and I got it (I felt pressured to), but I really hear nothing about wanting a credentialed work force from the company now. Due to the fact that our insurance has really been stink-o starting last year and this year's deductible is now $500 higher with no raise in 3+ years, I am seriously thinking about dropping it.  I was wondering if anyone else was going to do that ...

Question For CMTs
Sep 19, 2011

I am thinking about taking the test to become a CMT.  If you have done this, what references would you recommend that I have in front of me while taking the test?  Has anyone failed the test on their first try and if so, can you retake it without paying a second fee?  I have been an MT for a long time and should be able to pass the test but I'm worried they might fail you for little things.  What other suggestions can anyone offer?  I know there will be people ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...

More CMTs Coming From Off-shore
Dec 18, 2010

New CMT & RMT tests out, so off-shore will be teaching to the tests big time.  This is going on in our industry and others; but savvy big companies are awake and tweaking certification testing to catch the problem; not sure ADHI is sophisticated enough for that.  I am really NOT sure they WANT to address that issue.  Watch the flood of new CMTs from off-shore...and what it does to availability of our jobs.  (Yet there will be the re ...

Any MQ CMTs Out There With Thoughts On Testing? I Am Thinking About It.
May 26, 2010

All I see is the test costs $$.  I have been an MT for 5+ years and would probably pass.  How difficult is it to keep up with thier recredentialing requirements?  I don't have time to do extra "homework" for free.  If it is job-related, it should be on the clock IMO.   It is a little irritating that we have to keep being tested all the time with audits, etc., and now they are pushing us to be CMT.  If I am being pushed to meet extremely high standards, I ...

Does Anyone Know How Many Total CMTs There Currently Are In The United States?
Apr 17, 2011

Does AHDI list the total number of U.S. CMTs anywhere on their website?  I have been looking, but could not find anything.  Anyone have any idea what the number might be currently?    ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

Current TTD MTs
Oct 21, 2011

Would like to hear from current MTs their opinion and any info you would care to share about TTD.   Thanks. ...

Current Cpl
Apr 15, 2013

What is the current cpl rate that companies should be paying?  ...

I'm A Current MM MT And Would Like To Become MME.
Jan 10, 2015

I can't find any info anymore. Are there still MMEs and are they still testing for this position? Thanks! ...

Any Current Information On TTS
Jan 17, 2010

Would appreciate any current information on TTS, particular related to IC status.  Thanks much. ...

Current Information On TTS
Feb 01, 2010

Thinking of applying and just wondering about pay, platform, accounts etc. Any information would be good. I just want to make sure it is a good place to work.  From the archives, it looks like it is pretty mixed.  People either love it or hated it due to the strict scheduling.  Is the schedule still strict for ICs? Thanks in advance for your information. ...

What Is The Current MQ Atmosphere Like?
Feb 14, 2010

I keep getting recruitment emails, but I am leary from all the bad press I have seen in the past.  I really need a job and wonder if I should reconsider.  Any thoughts?  How is the pay? Do they hire PT?  Need the scoop. ...

Current Information On MD-IT?
Mar 07, 2010

Does anyone have any current information on MD-IT?   I searched the boards and the archives and found nothing.  If anyone could share any information at all, I would appreciate it, thanks. ...

Looking For Current Information On TTS Please (sm)
Jan 05, 2011

Have read the archives but most of it is from 2009 and older, a few posts in 2010 but really hoping to find out more current information.  They are offering IC status but then list the shifts that they expect you to work???  How is the pay, platform, volume of work, managers, communication, you name it, I would like to know it.  :)   TIA ...

Current CMT's - Is It Worth It?
Jan 08, 2011

If I take the CMT test the goal is to increase my income from my current earnings as a full time MT/ME.  But is it worth the $$ and time required to prepare for and take the CMT test?  I am confident that I would have no problem passing the test after adequate review, etc. So is it worth the effort?  Bottom line -- it will cost money to take the exam and it will cost money to either enroll in a review course or buy review materials to prepare for the exam. And the CMT credential ...

Any Current Information About TTS? 
Apr 11, 2011

Does anyone have any current information about TTS?  Could someone who works there now please let me know how things are going with this company?  ...

JLG Current Employees
Apr 28, 2011

I have recently been offered a position with JLG.  I have checked the archives for info on this company, however, most of them are from 1-2 years ago.  I am interested in any info a current employee of JLG can offer to me regarding this company - good or bad.  ...

Anyone With Current Information On E-MTS?
May 05, 2011

I've done the search and don't find anything current. I would like to have any details you might such as cpl, hours, flexing, amount of work, etcetera. Please post or e-mail. ...

Does Anyone Have CURRENT Information On JLG? Nm
May 30, 2011

/ ...

DTI - Any Current Info
Aug 27, 2011

Any current info on this company please? ...

JLG --- Current Job Openings
Aug 27, 2011

Would current new hires at JLG for the new verbatim account please answer these questions:  1.  What is their cpl rate? 2.  How difficult are the dictators? 3.  Is there enough work? 4.  Platform being used, is it good to work on. I have read the negative posts here about JLG but I am really in need of a job at this point.  I haven't worked for almost three months and I figure at least a verbatim account shouldn't be that hard to get right.  Plea ...

EMTS - Anything Current About Them - Sm
Oct 26, 2011

Employee/IC?  Pay scale?  VR/straight?  Nice people?  Strict hours? ...

Any Current ProTypers Here?
Feb 10, 2012

Any current ProType employees here?  I've received a couple of calls from them but was hoping I could find out the current state of the accounts, workload, etc., from MTs currently working there. Thanks much for any info! ...

Anyone With Current Info On K&R? S/m
Jul 21, 2012

See they are hiring but would appreciate any info first.  I've already jumped too quick into a company that sucks.  Thanks ! ...

Current Info On DTS-OK Please.
Aug 30, 2012

Before applying would appreciate info, the good, the bad and the ugly.  Thank you! ...

End Of Current Quarter?
Sep 13, 2012

Does anyone know when the current quarter ends? ...

Patient First - Current MT
Apr 20, 2013

Regarding the posts below, thought I would expound.  I have been there a few years and it is the best MT job I have had in a very long career. The process for hiring is a bit complex but it is worth it.  Don't bother unless you are really experienced. Basics:  -1400 lines per day minimum - 50-character line with spaces - 7 cpl.  Do the math - it is comparable to 10 cpl for a 65-character line. Dictaphone account (provided), typed in MS Word (one long file). You provide ...

Any Current Info On TTS
Apr 23, 2013

Any current info on TTS such as line rate, flexibility, plenty of work, platform and what the accounts are like? Easy to make lines? Also wondering if they offer shift differential for 2nd shift.  Thanks in advance. ...