A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Help! Can't decide on this job offer - Precyse? - sandst

Posted: Jan 31, 2013

So, I've been agonizing over this decision for a week now. I have a job offer from Precyse, willing to give me the schedule I want and work around my college courses, and about the highest production pay I would expect from any service. This would mean I could leave MModal with a terrible schedule (10 hours on Saturdays), and it is very hard to get time off, terrible management, but I would also be leaving the work I've known for over 10 years. I worked for this hospital (very cushy transcription job) before MModal acquired us. They have us on hourly pay now that is the average of what our lines are every 6 months. Am I crazy for leaving this job mostly because I hate working Saturdays? Is Precyse that bad?

what do you mean about being on hourly pay? - at MModal?

[ In Reply To ..]
other than that I understood your post, and I only know one person who works for Precyse but she was happy with it. Can it be worse than what you've got?

Can't decide - hourly pay - sandst

[ In Reply To ..]
We were hourly when we came over from the hospital job, and they kept us on hourly, but they average our lines every 6 months and adjust hourly pay based on that. I like the work itself. I know it well. I'm just terrified to leave the work I know for something I know nothing about. I can't really afford to lose any money. Wondering if I should not take the chance and just keep doing what I'm doing and suck up the Saturdays. I should note that I'm getting out of this field entirely in a couple of years, but I still have some classes to take before I can do that, so this is all temporary anyway.

can't decide - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
No, you are not crazy for wanting to leave a job where you have to work EVERY Saturday. The thing is, all the companies that require weekend work could make us rotate weekends, but they would rather screw up your entire weekend. But the TSM would have to keep up with the people not working and that would be too much work for them, so they just make us all work. Stinks.

I have to work EVERY Saturday too, and though I am 52 years old I still have a life and it is quite depressing to know that I will never have Saturday off.

I can't tell you whether to go with Precyse or not. I don't know anything about them. I just know I hate working on weekends.

Can't Decide - MTME

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you do both for perhaps two weeks? It might mean biting the bullet, but at least it would give you some idea. Put in for some time off with MM and do Precyse. I did that once. I took some PTO to try out another company and it was a disaster and so I stayed where I was and kept looking. I know, MM is a disaster, but they all are in one form or another and I have two great PT jobs.

I think you are crazy - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are on hourly pay and if it is enough pay that you can make a living you would be CRAZY to leave that. If you are forced to leave, due to college courses or whatever, then understood. If you are leaving because it is more difficult to maintain the schedule, then I would think twice. You can read post after post of MTs on here that aren't making a dime and that is very difficult as well.

The only way I would take it is if you - have it in writing (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
that they will never make you work Saturdays.

In this industry, a lot of the contractural employee hiring offer letters clearly state that your schedule could be changed to meet the needs of the client.

The other thing is that you have no idea about the work, so it might be hard to make lines and if your focus should really be on your college courses, then that's definitely not the way to go.

I would say stay at MModal, complete your college courses, and move on.

Another idea would be to send your manager a letter asking if anyone would like to switch with you. Maybe someone would rather have Sundays off or a day during the week off. It's worth a try.

Can't decide - I've begged my manager already. - sandst

[ In Reply To ..]
Everyone is required to work the weekend. And I would actually STILL have to work Saturdays on the new job, but only 6a-10a. It would be an oncology account. I've done that but not exclusively.

Don't forget to weigh other factors, like insurance, - PTO, etc. (NM)

[ In Reply To ..]
x

job offer Precyse - katrina

[ In Reply To ..]
Only really bad thing I know about Precyse is that's the company that got sued for work that was sent to India and then a patient died for a mistake the Indian MT made.

Can't Decide - MTME again

[ In Reply To ..]
There is some good advice here and perhaps you should rethink your position. An hourly wage cannot be beat, especially in this business. Instead of putting in for PTO to try Precyse, can you just put in for some time off on Saturday once in a while. Just a few hours off your shift or a day off. Again, who knows in this business, but if you have something good or at least decent, maybe you should reconsider. Like I said, I have two great PT jobs, but they are sporadic at best; BUT no ESLs and no voice! Gotta love it, warts and all! Good luck.

Thanks for the advice - sandst

[ In Reply To ..]
I do appreciate the hourly rate. It isn't what my hospital job used to be, but I know it is better than most. I just hate Saturdays! My 3-year-old is about to start playing baseball for the first time, and I'm sure a lot of that will be happening on Saturdays. I will not miss that! The problem is that it is very hard to get time off at my current job. She usually denies my requests, even a couple of weeks or more ahead of time. I could try to see if the new job would let me do a prn or something part time, but I don't have much extra time as it is. And, I have to remember that these are not the only 2 choices out there. I could keep looking if this does not feel right. Anything a transcriptionist can do at the hospital besides unit secretary?

What if - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Have you tried asking for just part of the day off instead of the whole thing? Maybe that could work?

Any chance you could change your schedule... - Susie

[ In Reply To ..]
with MModal a bit more to your liking? Are you full time or part time? I don't know what region you're in, but here in the North we have a ton of OOW situations, so filling those Saturday hours would be a piece of cake. I wonder if you could trade with someone. I'd take them in a heartbeat.
Incidentally, may I ask what you're going to school for? I'm looking around at different programs myself, looking for a change.

Still deciding - sandst

[ In Reply To ..]
They will not change my schedule. I can take longer lunches and make the time up, but that is probably the best I can do. It just isn't easy leaving something you know so well. I can fly through these reports. I can probably raise my pay in 6 months by at least $2 an hour. But, I actually left this job last year because I didn't want to work the Saturdays anymore. I tried a contract position, but I didn't like it. I missed it, and they hired me back, but ONLY on the condition that I be on rotating weekends. Now, that has all changed. Everyone is required to do either Sat or Sun now. I am pretty miserable working so much on Saturdays, esp with my kids sitting here watching me (and needing me to help them with everything in the meantime). We should be out with them having fun somewhere. And part of me kind of wants to try something different. But, I'd be leaving familiar work (which by default makes it easier) and hourly pay for a complete unknown that sounds interesting, but no way to know what it will be like until I try it. I'm just scared I'll be making a mistake again, but this time I won't be able to come back. Incidentally, I'm thinking of either radiologic technology or nursing, but I still have to work for a couple more years. It is a shame that all that is available out there these days are the bad choice and the other bad choice. This is why I'm out of the MT business as soon as possible. Just not possible right now. Might as well use the skills I have.

I've thought about going into nursing, too... - Susie

[ In Reply To ..]
My sister is an RN here in WI, she makes a lot of $$ ($45+/hr), has great benefits, a solid job, and most of all, she's happy. I know what you mean about working this job and having kids. Getting into MT (back in the 1990s, for me) was something I did for the sake of my family. Back then, when things were so different, I actually had more time to spend with them. I just thank God this profession was what I needed it to be back then when they were little. Now they're older, and my "schedule," or lack thereof, totally sucks. I have no time for anything. I know it's a hard decision, leaving a job you know really well, but working the schedule you need while you're in school may make life a lot easier for you. Well, good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
Nursing... - sandst
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, the job security is outstanding! I think I would love the technical aspects of nursing, but I'm a little afraid of the people part. Not sure if I'd be good at that part. I'm taking anatomy and physiology right now so I'll be ready to apply for either that or rad tech. I've heard of some MTs transitioning to radiology and they love it. Of course, then you are back to the crazy schedules...but guess I'll deal with that when I get to it. By the way, I decided to e-mail both managers and ask what their part-time requirements are, just to see what the possibilities of that would be. Just in case. I know it sounds crazy to leave an hourly job, but the hourly pay is based on what I type anyway! I already know that I really like their platform, and as long as there is work for me, I'm still thinking of trying it. At my current job, we run out of work so much that I'm off the clock half the time, and that makes hourly pay a mute point anyway, doesn't it?! What if I can make the same amount of $ on production in less hours because I'm efficient? (And I've always been a high producer.) This has been one of the toughest decisions. Excruciating. And obviously I'm not good at making big decisions. : )

I'm going for it - sandst

[ In Reply To ..]
So, there was no work for me this morning as usual, and I'll be 10 hours short this pay period because of that. I've decided I'm not going to let fear stop me and I'm taking the job. I'll probably earn more in less hours on production versus scrounging for hours just to get it all in. If it doesn't work, it will be my last transcription job. I'll just take a hospital job or something!!

Good luck to you! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I also ran out of work this morning at MM and trying to get out of MT altogether, a hospital job or something else. I will be sending my best wishes to you that it works out!

Similar Messages:

Help Me Decide
Mar 29, 2011

Hope someone can help me.  I have worked for a couple of MTSO for around 10 years.  Will be switching to VR soon.  I am starting to have problems forcing myself to work at least 2 straight hours without interrupting myself either out of boredom or because someone interrupted me (I work from home).  I can never seem to get over 200 lines per hour and the benefits are not great.  I applied to a hospital in house (about 35 minutes away).  The only shift they had was a ...

Can't Decide Between MA Or LPN
May 22, 2013

I am going to do it - get out of MTing for good and really, really want to work in patient care.  I love the thought of being an LPN, but I'm seeing so many jobs for medical assistants.  It seems to me as though MAs are replacing LPNs.  A hospital near me has 13 openings for medical assistants and only one opening for an LPN.  Which way to go is the best? Confused! ...

Precyse Still Has Precyse University For Training
Jun 16, 2015

Can anyone tell  me if Precyse still has Precyse University for training.  I went to work for them a few years ago and quit because I was only doing 1-2 hours a day for a couple weeks going through the University and waiting for things to be approved in order to move on and was not making any money, got fed up and quit.  I would like to reapply but do not want to if they still do Precyse University training. ...

How Do You Decide What Is Okay To Abbreviate?
Mar 27, 2011

I know some are obvious, like MRI, but how do you decide what is okay to abbreviate and what is not?  For example, I am transcribing for a neurologist/sleep study doc and he uses CPAP, COPD, and JVD a lot.  Are those to be spelled out?  In school, we learned that everything should be spelled out, but I have seen evidence to the contrary in several books.  What is your opinion? ...

Trying To Decide Which School
Nov 01, 2011

Ive been trying to decide which school to take the MT course....Andrews or MTEC. I know there has been lots of posts already but I have a few unanswered questions. I have a pretty good idea how MTEC works since they have a webinar showing & explaining their learning platform. I also know that they are all online and if you choose to buy books to study its extra. Im trying to find out how you learn at Andrews and what materials are included. I know i need to call but i want to hear from real peop ...

Trying To Decide Between Employee And IC...
Dec 08, 2011

I am a little math challenged.  Does anyone know which would be better (general ballpark idea) employee at 8 cpl, or IC at 9 cpl?  I do not need the insurance, as I have private insurance, so strictly paywise.  Is it better to take the lower cpl and not have to pay the entire tax, or the higher cpl and pay all taxes?  TIA.  ...

Trying To Decide To Test For A Job
Apr 15, 2012

I applied for a VR job that I'm not sure I want. I don't mind the VR so much but it doesn't pay much but I really only want a part-time job and this one is full time. I am wondering what these companies consider full time. Some say 32 to 40 hours per week. Not sure I like the days either with one weekend day included. ...

How Did They Decide Which Managers To Let Go?
Oct 25, 2014

Mine was let go.  She seemed very efficient and nice.  Do they decide by how many years you are employed by MM? ...

Trying To Decide, SoftScript Or Amphion
Nov 05, 2010

Both part-time, both let me choose my schedule; however, Amphion is primarily editing and SoftScript is straight transcription at more than double the editing pay offered by Amphion.  Anyone have any experience working for both or is anyone currently employed by either and can offer some insight in how they are to work for? Thanks for any info, good, bad or indifferent! ...

Would Appreciate Some Help From Current CMTs To Help Me Decide
Apr 17, 2011

Does your employer offer a differential for being a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist)?  I am on the fence as to whether to take the CMT test now or just wait until it becomes mandatory.  Would really appreciate some help from current CMTs to maybe sway me one way or the other.  Since I am currently looking for a new employer, this may be the perfect time for me to decide.  If I go the CMT route, then I would probably apply to companies that will pay me more for the C ...

Average LPH For TTS Accounts?? Trying To Decide
Jul 25, 2014

Can anyone share what the average line count you are getting at TTS?  I know it makes a difference what accounts you have, etc. but just wondering what employees are getting for LPH.  I have read that speech engine is very good with accounts.  Will help me make a decision if it is worth it. ...

I Have Idea All MTSO Get Together In Conference Call And Decide
Dec 26, 2010

gotten pay down to basically nothing, what else can we do to get more facility money for ourselves.  We cant squeeze facilities more without them going elsewhere, guess we have to squeeze MTs more.  Heck, some have even decided to make MTs pay for platform costs, pay rent for loaned equipement - loaned so MT can do the job MTSO needs done - or started a "mentoring" division so they can basically get work done for free.  What will they think of next???? ...

Trying To Decide Between Enrolling In A Medical Coding Course Or A Physical Therapy Assistant Course
Sep 20, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Why, Oh Why, Do They Get To The Laboratory/diagnostic Data Portion And Decide To Speed Talk...Grrr!!
May 12, 2011

nm ...

Precyse - Someone You Know Worked For Precyse?
Feb 07, 2015

Have any of you or someone you know worked for Precyse?  Any information appreciated, good or bad.  If you or someone you know has worked for them, how do they compare to MModal?  Is it possible to make enough money with them to live?  Am quickly fading here, I need to find other employment.  Am at the end of my rope in every possible way. ...

I Got A Job Offer!
Jan 17, 2010

Haven't even completely finished school, tested for a part time IC position, and I got the job offer today! It can be done, ****! *** Stop with the snide remarks toward experienced MTs who do not share your point of view for this career.   Moderator *** ...

Offer
Dec 07, 2010

hypertype:  Straight VR - 0.6 cents/line, IC status with 10.00 licensing fee every 2 weeks. Mostly ER. Good offer? or bad offer? ...

Job Offer At TTS ?
Sep 19, 2012

Have an offer,not sure though. Would love to hear from others who work there and in the know. How is their QA done, weekly, monthly, every 3 months like where I work now or just how. Do you think the QA is there, fair, critical, just anything I could find out would be nice.  ...

Non-MT Job Offer
Mar 29, 2013

...Okay, I'm not here to start a fight about union vs non-union, but I was just offered a non-MT job at a hospital that has a union, and I am anti-union.  When she told me that it was a union position, my jaw dropped.  She must have seen the look on my face, because she told me that since this is Florida, we don't HAVE to join the union or pay dues or anything like that.  My face brightened up right away. SO, if you are not pro-union be SURE to ask if the state you live ...

Does Anyone Know What Companies Offer
Nov 12, 2009

Kaiser insurance besides MedQuist?  I want to leave MedQuist but I love my Kaiser insurance.  Please help.  TIA. ...

I Got A Job Offer! - UPDATE
Feb 13, 2010

I am updating, like I said I would.  I'm still working, and I LOVE the job!  Granted, the pay isn't where I would like it to be yet, but it gets better every day, because my line count gets higher every day!  Thanks to those of you who encouraged and supported me during the hiring process! ...

GOT A BETTER OFFER FROM WAL-MART
Feb 18, 2010

Well after being in this business for almost 20 years, I have decided it's time to hang up the keyboard,  as a single person I can no longer support myself as a medical transcriptionist.  This is not even a good part-time job anymore.  I have worked for more companies than I cared to admit, suffered through intolerable divas as team leads, gestapo QA, constant nip picking on where a comma goes, or a verb, and had my cpl reduced from what started out at 13 cpl to 0.0350 cpl.&n ...

Taking More Than 1 Offer
Mar 15, 2010

I have 2 job offers from 2 different companies, but both of these companies are fairly large and have multiple posts with complaints that there is just not enough work for everyone. Would it be possible to take both offers, on the chance that if one doesn't have work the other will? I might be kinda screwed if they both have a lot of work, but it might be worth it to see how both will work out without closing any doors. Has anyone done this before? Is it possible to run 2 companies differen ...

Offer From Medquist
Mar 19, 2010

Wow.  I was just offered a job by MQ.  I politely asked if the 'rumors' were true about being docked for sending reports to QA.  I was informed that if you are supposed to do 6,000 lines a week and 300 lines total come to QA, then yes you would be docked 3 cents per line.  If you are part-time with 4,000 line a week and 200 lines total came to QA, then you would be docked.  I politely said that I would have to decline.  BUT, if you feel that even QA canno ...

Job Offer From Transolutions
Jun 09, 2010

I have a job offer from Transolutions, but I have a couple of questions.   I use Instant Text and I need to know if their platform is compatible with it.  This would definitely be a dealbreaker for me.   The opinions of the company I read on this board were not very favorable -- slow speech rec program,  too much speech rec, etc.  But all the opinions were at least 2 years old.  Is there any more current information out there?   The pay scale is very enticing, but if the ...

Need Advice On Job Offer
Jun 24, 2010

I'm considering an offer from a national company of around 8.75 cents straight typing and around 5.5 for VR. This would be for a full-time position and I have over 10 years experience (but none with VR).  I'm currently on unemployment earning around $1500 a month. My normal production of straight typing is around 150-200 lph.  With this info., should it be a problem to earn more than what I'm currently making on unemployment? I'm afraid to make the change as once I ...

Ooooh Job Offer
Oct 01, 2010

Just got a "job offer" e-mail.  I can make $225/day working for e-bay auctions!!!! Why am I still doing MT????? NOT!!!! ...

MQ Offer Me A Job Last Week...
Jun 14, 2011

MQ offered me a full-time position last week, after all the testing, but after reading this board, with all the firings and lawsuit, and outsourcing, I don't know if I want to work for them! Is there any reason not to work for them? I would appreciate any input. Thank you. ...

UNIWORK ANYONE? Job Offer......
Apr 22, 2011

Anyone heard of Uniwork? Clue me in please????? ...

Offer For Job With Medquist
Jun 06, 2011

Hi all, I was just offered a postiion and was wondering how the company is? Any advice good or bad would be helpful. Thanks ...