A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Can't decide between MA or LPN - sm

Posted: May 22, 2013

I am going to do it - get out of MTing for good and really, really want to work in patient care.  I love the thought of being an LPN, but I'm seeing so many jobs for medical assistants.  It seems to me as though MAs are replacing LPNs.  A hospital near me has 13 openings for medical assistants and only one opening for an LPN.  Which way to go is the best? Confused!

I do not really know exactly what an MA does - but I have been told.

[ In Reply To ..]
that LPN stands for "low paid nurse." I think though with LPN you could step up to RN fairly quickly (I had one friend who did it in about a year mostly on-line). If I didn't want to be a nurse, I would go for the one that had the most jobs available.

I don't know, either, but... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I see a LOT of jobs around my area for MAs, too. If you're a good MT and ever decide you want to be a medical scribe (if they grow in demand as EMRs are in just about every clinical setting), being an MA with MT skills would be a perfect fit for that type of work. An MT can train as a scribe, too, but it seems like some offices want you to be an MA as well as a scribe.

Your age might be a factor to consider. If you're relatively young and have many years to work, LPN might be more able to transition with RN in the future with some extra schooling. For a while there, it seemed like even RNs were having some trouble finding jobs, but I'm not sure about right now.

Another position I see posted a lot in my area is for a medication aide. I think they mostly just dispense meds to patients in hospital, nursing-home, and hospice settings. It's more than just handing out pills....they have to do things like insert suppositories, too, just in case that's more "hands-on" than you want to be.

I meant: transition "to" RN (not transition "with" RN) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
:-D

I "think" I am relatively young - 35 years old - 30 more years of working life!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Oh, indeed! You have a lot of options... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
...open for you at your age! :-) So many of us are in our 50s or nearing 60 (or even beyond). It sounds like you want a shorter training period, but you're young enough that you could definitely get some other college degree under your belt and have a lot of opportunities in the future. Good luck!

Go MA or patient care tech. States have been trying to eliminate LPNs - for years. It will happen! NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

eliminate LPNs - Roseanne

[ In Reply To ..]
And so goes another off the cuff statement with very little truth to it. What states are trying to eliminate LPNs? I know numerous LPNs who have good to great jobs and have never had trouble getting a job . . . Not even to mention the fact that lots of health care facilities help defray the cost of their LPNs getting an RN,if that were the route the OP wanted to go.

There are jobs for LPNs, but in my area of NY we're not allowed - to work in hospitals anymore. Nursing homes, yes.

[ In Reply To ..]
x
NM up there... Here, LPNs can work Hospice or in home care. Rare to - see one in a doc office anymore. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

They were doing that back in 1978 - tynkerbelle

[ In Reply To ..]
They were getting rid of the LPNs back on 1978 too. In a matter of time we would not have any jobs. Well here it is decades later and here in Michigan they are actually opening up more LPN schools. What is happening is the people that cannot get into the R.N. program go for the health care administration degree. Then they take the one year LPN course and some how or other end up with the BSN, and then go on to get their masters. This is another way of flooding the R.N. field. I'd go for the LPN.

Go for the one that is more desirable for advanced - programs. You may want to upgrade

[ In Reply To ..]
your license to something better paying after a while.

And, of course, choose the one more in demand now AND that is less likely to be eliminated/outsourced.

MA and LPN - CMA and proud

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked as a CMA (certified by a 5-hour written test, not "continuing education credits) for 10 years and loved it, then quit to do transcription from home and be with my son. I worked in a doc office setting and the only thing I didn't do that the LPN did was start IVs, which is pretty much never done within the office anyway. If you don't care about working off shifts and weekends etc...then LPN will make you more money. But to get your LPN and work in an office...you are wasting your time because a CMA can do most anything a nurse can within an office NOT HOSPITAL (nurses don't hang me....I know you are qualified in the hospital setting). CMAs cannot work on a hospital floor unless you are talking the capacity of drawing blood or medical records etc...We are trained for a doctor's office setting. MA/CMAs cannot replace nurses of any kind in the hospital because we don't have the training for the procedures that are done on the hospital floor setting. Don't confuse CMA with CNA. Totally different thing. Hope that helps.

I went to LPN school and finished in 1995 - LPN

[ In Reply To ..]
THAT many years ago I had a friend who was taking MA at the same time, because she was told (as were we) and MAs were going to replace LPNs and it never happened. There is a pretty big difference in pay also with LPNs getting more, but it would depend on your area as to whether they want more LPNs or MAs. One GOOD thing though....I think both programs are almost the same amount of time, but if you become an LPN and can only find MA jobs, you can take the MA job, just have a reduction in salary from the LPN. But, if you choose MA you CANNOT take an LPN job, so that's something to think about.

MA OR LPN - CINDY

[ In Reply To ..]
I am going to LPN and almost everyone in the class is already and MA. So what does that say.

[ In Reply To ..]
As I stated before....if you want rotten hours with more pay, then choose LPN, but remember that you can never supervise other nurses and the only way you will make more money than a CMA/MA is to work within the hospital. If you want Mon-Fri with a little less pay..then MA is the way to go. Remember that MAs are trained for clinical work, but also office management, insurance billing/coding, medical transcription, phlebotomy, etc.. They are not as procedure oriented, but they have a wide range of job opportunities. I worked with a physician who preferred MAs over LPN/RNs because MAs don't typically have the arrogant mind set that nurses do who think they are the only ones who know anything. Just my experience.

Do you mind me asking what your pay was as an MA? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I live in a small town in Georgia - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Our pay scale is pretty horrid. When I worked as an LPN, the minimum wage was the $5-something an hour, not what it is now.

I worked in a doctor's office with a medical assistant and I made $13.00 per hour and she made $8.00 per hour and that girl worked her butt off!

I moved to Atlanta for a short time and I wanted a job within a few miles from my home (hated the traffic) so I took a job as a medical assistant. I got paid $10.50 per hour and there was an LPN working in the same office and she got paid $18.00 per hour.
MA and LPN PAY/certification versus paying money like LPN/RN - CMA and proud
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mind saying what I made, but unfortunately no matter what I say...someone (no doubt a nurse who more than likely has a license plate that says "Be A Nurse")will come back with a higher number and discredit me. I WILL say that in my area...they don't just make $8.00 an hour like someone said. That is pitiful! I will just say that as a CMA, I lived in my own place (before I was married), had a nice vehicle and had no credit card debt. You can make a very nice living as a CMA and work Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00, no weekends.
Of note, to certify as an MA, you have to take a 5-hour written test every 5 years. RN/LPN only pay money every 2 years. Kinda scary huh? BUT, we CMAs get the satisfaction of knowing that we know our stuff because we have to take the test.
Not true - Wow
[ In Reply To ..]
WOW, you are on a nurse kick today, huh? Was a nurse "mean" to you or something in the past? Nurses do actually have to have continuing education hours, in-services, etc reported to the licensing board each year. If they don't get these they have to go through refresher courses.
MA and LPN PAY/certification versus paying money like LPN/RN - CMA and proud
[ In Reply To ..]
Right, continuing education, which requires listening to a lecture, which proves nothing of their skill. Actually the nurses I worked and got along very well with told me about paying the money. That came a from nurse...not me. Like I said..MAs sit and have a 5-hour question and answer written test.
"Paying the money" is not a nursing thing - Licensure
[ In Reply To ..]
No matter what license you hold in your state, whether it be a nurse, plumber, electrician, etc., your STATE BOARD requires you to pay fees to keep the license current. A medical assistant is a CERTIFICATE not a license, hence the reason you pay no fees. It's not a well-kept "nursing" secret, it's a state requirement from ANY licensed individual.
You missed my point. See message - CMA who tests to prove the know how
[ In Reply To ..]
I understand the difference between cert and license. Regardless, I have to take a test and you just pay your dues! That is straight from a nurses mouth. That is the ONLY thing that nurses are required to do and doesn't exactly tell the tale of whether they know what they are doing or not. My point is...I test to prove....you pay dues the get by.
The reason. - JT
[ In Reply To ..]
Nurses are required so many clinical hours per year in order to maintain their license. That is why they don't have to "test" every 5 years, because if they are using their skills daily there should be no need to test. Everything that a nurse does is governed by a licensing board.

With a medical assistant, nothing is governed or kept account of, so that is the reason for the testing. A person could not work as a medical assistant for 10 years and forget everything and there is no state board to determine this. CNAs also are required to test after 5 years, in most states. It doesn't mean that CNAs or MAs know more than nurses by any means. It is basically that nurses have more responsibility of being "liable and accountable" for their actions through the state board whereas the other 2 don't have to take responsibility for anything and any mistakes or medical malpractice falls on the supervising nurse or M.D.s shoulders.

Not really "scary" - OlderMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are happy with being a medical assistant, then that is great for you. It is not "scary" though that nurses are not required to retest, they are required so many hours of work and training yearly, as are all licensed positions. You, my dear, have a certificate. I won't knock your certificate at all, you should be proud of whatever you further educate yourself to do, but making it sound like you are more competent because you test on a 5-year basis doesn't hold much water.

If you had an emergency situation, say was having a baby out of a hospital and the baby was coming right now.....would you be more confident if someone ran up and said "I can help, I'm a nurse" or if she ran up and said "I can help, I'm a MA" ??? I can say I would choose the nurse. Again, nothing wrong with your career, but don't belittle others who strive to advance their education even further than you have.
well said. nm - ExMeridianer
[ In Reply To ..]
MA/CMA - CMA
[ In Reply To ..]
I do NOT have a certificate. I have an associates degree. You're not a nurse OR a CMA. No one would certainly say "I'm an MT...I can type of your pain scale" Get real!
I am a nurse - ?
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't know what that even meant, but yes dear I'm a nurse and one of those nurses who took an MT job due to a knee injury and the MTSO hired me right in. So, you see, us nurses can do it as well. I never had an MT class in my life, NOR did I have an MA class.

Wow, a physician thought a NURSE was arrogant? - Crazy!

[ In Reply To ..]
LPNs supervise CNAs in a nursing home setting and can supervise other LPNs in an assisted living setting. The director of assisted living places is usually an LPN.

I worked as an LPN in a doctor's office, worked side by side with a MA and I made $4.00 more per hour than she did. LPNs make really good in home health and in corrections (my fave) and can work somewhat independently without all of the hoopla. MAs have to be supervised at all times.
[ In Reply To ..]
MAs don't work in situations where they need to be supervisors, so it really doesn't matter that they have to be supervised at all times. As I said, they have lots of options; office manager, medical transcription (please note that some advertisements for medical transcription positions specifically state that experience as a nurse DOES NOT count as experience for MT experience), insurance billing/coding, phlebotomy etc....I only lack 2 clinical classes between being a CMA and an LPN. Why bother unless I want to work weekends and evenings. ???
Another thought. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Since you only have 2 classes, then go for it and get your LPN. You can still work as an MA with an LPN degree, so you have double the opportunity at landing jobs.
[ In Reply To ..]
I appreciate your advice. However, medical transcription is part of my CMA degree, so I get to work from home and don't plan on pursuing anything else at this point. Can't beat that.

Thank you for the positive note.
That's the thing about nurses..they get hung up on supervision because they have a NEED to supe - Med Assist and loving it
[ In Reply To ..]

By the way, what are you nurses doing on the MT board anyway? MT is part of my degree as a medical assistant, so I have a reason to be here....What is your reason?

Well I work as an MT instead of a nurse - Nurse
[ In Reply To ..]
Someone mentioned above that LPNs couldn't be supervisors, so I think someone was just pointing it out. Nurses aren't as pompous and arrogant and you may think and if you encountered those, then just give them a little while, they will be knocked off of their high horse!

I worked as a CNA going through nursing school. Once I became a nurse, I STILL would do whatever was needed in patient care, never acted better than ANYONE!!!
I am a 30+ year MT, as well as a....sm - oldtimer
[ In Reply To ..]
retired RN. I think there are quite a few of us on this board. Thank you for asking.
MA and LPN - Med Assist and loving it
[ In Reply To ..]
"Thank you for asking" ? I didn't ask. You've been an MT for 30+ years and you are a retired RN. ?? What does that make you...like 100 years old? Really! Why would you type and make peanuts when you have an RN pension? (To prove your point I'm guessing.)

I've been a doctor for like 40 years and for fun I'm an MT on the side.

Give me a break. This board is a joke. Everybody lies!

are either courses doable online? probably not eh? sm - FormerMeridianer

[ In Reply To ..]
unfortunately for me, my husband works midnights, i work days, i have 3 kids, one still only finishing pre-k (cant be left home alone i mean), and I work 10 am to 6:30 pm Monday through Friday. Trying to schedule classes is going to be really hard if possible at all.

doable online - MegPeg

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't know about the MA. You can do a few LPN courses online but you have to do clinicals,if you wantto be IV certified you have to attend those classes, you have to attend CPR classes, so the answer is no, you can't get an LPN online.

Medical Office Assistants and Medical Assistants - are pretty much CNAs with...

[ In Reply To ..]
other skills, such as training certificates for drawing blood, EKGs, taking vitals and collecting other medical data and performing basic assessments and assisting the nurses and doctors. They get paid decent. I use to be a CNA and Im about to take a 4 hour class to recertify, as the multispecialty clinic I work for has tons of medical office assistants.

Once I take the 4 hour class to recertify, I will transfer to an MOA position (medical office assistant). I am also enrolled in an upcoming refresher course held at my job renew my phlebotomy skills so I can draw blood again. Just recently quit full-time MT after being outsourced 2 years ago, just was no longer making the money I was use to and so thankful for the job I have now.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I am also going to go back and complete my nursing, but will work as an MOA until then.

CNA are NOT MA/CMA! - Angel 2

[ In Reply To ..]
Medical Assistants have associates degrees in medical assisting technology and have specialty degrees if they choose. They are not CNAs and take none of the same courses/seminars whatever you call it. REAL MA/CMAs go to college! MA/CMA can write prescriptions, do telephone triage, assist in surgery, phlebotomy, manager an office, do medical transcription and many other things.

What prescriptions do MAs write? - Not a college course here!

[ In Reply To ..]
Are you thinking about physician assistants?

Medical assisting is not a degree program here and they absolutely do NOT write prescriptions!
[ In Reply To ..]
I have an associates degree in medical assisting, so YES it is a degree. Second off, prescriptions ordered by a physician are written by medical assistants. Nurses can only write prescriptions ordered by physicians as well. No difference! I didn't say ORDERED. I said WRITE! Written by MA/CMA...signed by the physician just like you all! Do your homework because you don't know what you are talking about.
Clarification - JT
[ In Reply To ..]
If a physician hands you the RX pad and says here, write "blah, blah, blah" you CAN write that for him to sign...you are ASSISTING him, that's what you do. For nurses, we can take an order by the doctor over the phone and sign for him and have him sign later. Who cares anyway? Obviously a nurse is a higher education than a medical assistant, as part of a medical assistant's job is to ASSIST THE NURSE as well as other medical staff. If you love what you do, then GREAT, why do you feel such a need to defend it?
[ In Reply To ..]
The same reason you feel a need to defend YOURSELF and make sure that I knowwwwww that you are at a higher level of education, which just proves all that I said about nurses. Thanks for helping me prove my point.

You are thinking about something else. - MAs

[ In Reply To ..]
MAs are workers directly supervised by doctors and nurses who usually assist in doctor's offices. They don't do surgery, etc. They take vital signs, check insurance and things like that.
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a CMA and have been for 13 years! Don't tell me what they do...I've do it!
The Medical Assisting board - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Says that an MA does the same scope of practice as a CNA, but MAs are not allowed to perform bedside care. It says that MAs cannot do ANYTHING unless directly under the supervision of doctors or nurses who are LICENSED.
[ In Reply To ..]
You don't know what you are talking about. CNAs cannot draw blood, cannot assist a physician in office procedures, cannot write prescriptions, cannot hand out samples, cannot remove sutures, etc... I never said that MAs could do anything without supervision. Go jump in the lake. I've done my job for 10+ years and I don't need someone who just knows how to regurgitate info to tell me otherwise. CNA and CMA are NOTHING alike, but thanks for the laugh.

I went for MA. I thought it meshed well with MT skills. Plus - see message

[ In Reply To ..]
I really just want to work in a clinic or for a physician's group. I start a summer school class for the anatomy and physiology in a week and that's the last class! I'm applying for the program at the local community college for the upcoming Fall/Spring semesters. The caveat is that I think there is more money in a CNA credential and if you like clinical or the option to continue to an RN, that's a good way to go. Have you noticed? EVERYONE is getting out of MT.

Similar Messages:

Help Me Decide
Mar 29, 2011

Hope someone can help me.  I have worked for a couple of MTSO for around 10 years.  Will be switching to VR soon.  I am starting to have problems forcing myself to work at least 2 straight hours without interrupting myself either out of boredom or because someone interrupted me (I work from home).  I can never seem to get over 200 lines per hour and the benefits are not great.  I applied to a hospital in house (about 35 minutes away).  The only shift they had was a ...

How Do You Decide What Is Okay To Abbreviate?
Mar 27, 2011

I know some are obvious, like MRI, but how do you decide what is okay to abbreviate and what is not?  For example, I am transcribing for a neurologist/sleep study doc and he uses CPAP, COPD, and JVD a lot.  Are those to be spelled out?  In school, we learned that everything should be spelled out, but I have seen evidence to the contrary in several books.  What is your opinion? ...

Trying To Decide Which School
Nov 01, 2011

Ive been trying to decide which school to take the MT course....Andrews or MTEC. I know there has been lots of posts already but I have a few unanswered questions. I have a pretty good idea how MTEC works since they have a webinar showing & explaining their learning platform. I also know that they are all online and if you choose to buy books to study its extra. Im trying to find out how you learn at Andrews and what materials are included. I know i need to call but i want to hear from real peop ...

Trying To Decide Between Employee And IC...
Dec 08, 2011

I am a little math challenged.  Does anyone know which would be better (general ballpark idea) employee at 8 cpl, or IC at 9 cpl?  I do not need the insurance, as I have private insurance, so strictly paywise.  Is it better to take the lower cpl and not have to pay the entire tax, or the higher cpl and pay all taxes?  TIA.  ...

Trying To Decide To Test For A Job
Apr 15, 2012

I applied for a VR job that I'm not sure I want. I don't mind the VR so much but it doesn't pay much but I really only want a part-time job and this one is full time. I am wondering what these companies consider full time. Some say 32 to 40 hours per week. Not sure I like the days either with one weekend day included. ...

How Did They Decide Which Managers To Let Go?
Oct 25, 2014

Mine was let go.  She seemed very efficient and nice.  Do they decide by how many years you are employed by MM? ...

Trying To Decide, SoftScript Or Amphion
Nov 05, 2010

Both part-time, both let me choose my schedule; however, Amphion is primarily editing and SoftScript is straight transcription at more than double the editing pay offered by Amphion.  Anyone have any experience working for both or is anyone currently employed by either and can offer some insight in how they are to work for? Thanks for any info, good, bad or indifferent! ...

Would Appreciate Some Help From Current CMTs To Help Me Decide
Apr 17, 2011

Does your employer offer a differential for being a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist)?  I am on the fence as to whether to take the CMT test now or just wait until it becomes mandatory.  Would really appreciate some help from current CMTs to maybe sway me one way or the other.  Since I am currently looking for a new employer, this may be the perfect time for me to decide.  If I go the CMT route, then I would probably apply to companies that will pay me more for the C ...

Help! Can't Decide On This Job Offer - Precyse?
Jan 31, 2013

So, I've been agonizing over this decision for a week now. I have a job offer from Precyse, willing to give me the schedule I want and work around my college courses, and about the highest production pay I would expect from any service. This would mean I could leave MModal with a terrible schedule (10 hours on Saturdays), and it is very hard to get time off, terrible management, but I would also be leaving the work I've known for over 10 years. I worked for this hospital (very cushy tr ...

Average LPH For TTS Accounts?? Trying To Decide
Jul 25, 2014

Can anyone share what the average line count you are getting at TTS?  I know it makes a difference what accounts you have, etc. but just wondering what employees are getting for LPH.  I have read that speech engine is very good with accounts.  Will help me make a decision if it is worth it. ...

I Have Idea All MTSO Get Together In Conference Call And Decide
Dec 26, 2010

gotten pay down to basically nothing, what else can we do to get more facility money for ourselves.  We cant squeeze facilities more without them going elsewhere, guess we have to squeeze MTs more.  Heck, some have even decided to make MTs pay for platform costs, pay rent for loaned equipement - loaned so MT can do the job MTSO needs done - or started a "mentoring" division so they can basically get work done for free.  What will they think of next???? ...

Trying To Decide Between Enrolling In A Medical Coding Course Or A Physical Therapy Assistant Course
Sep 20, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Why, Oh Why, Do They Get To The Laboratory/diagnostic Data Portion And Decide To Speed Talk...Grrr!!
May 12, 2011

nm ...