A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

CMTs who transition - to Coding

Posted: Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire?

CMTs who transition to coding - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a CMT who is about to transition to coding and I have no intention of letting my CMT lapse. IMO, it is not very hard to get 30 CECs every 3 years, so I definitely plan to keep it up.

CECs - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
You should keep it up, I agree. You never know when it might come in handy.

Coding CEUs should fulfill some of your credits. Your coding coursework itself should count for some. The A&P, pathophysiology, and med terms should definitely count. (I say "should" because I have not seen the requirements lately and I think they changed them.)

I let mine lapse. It was a pure waste of time & money. - It didnt even get me 0.05 cpl more.

[ In Reply To ..]
Letting mine lapse - it's useless - sm - Biller (but am a CPC)
[ In Reply To ..]
It is totally useless, whether or not I am in MT. No one cares anymore (though they say they do). Used to get more money with it but if you do now, it is piddly.

I'm totally out of MT after 28 years and don't plan on going back. I needed a change and the way MT jobs are going, it was none too soon!
Are you a coder? The question was about keeping it - While coding
[ In Reply To ..]
The question was whether there was any benefit to keeping it when transitioning to coding. It asked for coders' opinions.

It might not have been any benefit to you in MT, but coding is different.

I think there can be an advantage to keeping it up at least for a while. Credentials are meaningful and respected in coding. They are seen as evidence of good things on your part. They never hurt. A lot of coders have strings of them.

There is also increasig emphasis on clinical documentation improvement and EHR templated documents. I can see that a CMT might help you establish yourself as having knowledge in those areas. A lot of coders don't, you know.
lapse - I really
[ In Reply To ..]
dislike having to give that organization more money for membership. However, that is a good way to get the CEUs - the Plexus and online tests and that the only way to get those is by being a member. Also, on top of paying AHIMA and AAPC dues and also keeping up CEUs for both orgs, it gets expensive. I do think my CMT shows that I had a good beginning in the medical chart and with A&P. I just wonder if employers who ask, "what is a CMT" really see the value in it and if it shows anyone besides myself anything. Oh well, still thinking...
You can retain the credential without membership - Coder
[ In Reply To ..]
You do not have to be a member to keep the CMT credential. I think it is only $55 for 3 years. You can gain a lot of the CEUs from coding-related activities.

Do employers see the value in it? That does not matter. You are not applying for MT positions, but for CODING positions and other jobs related to that. Coding employers will have no clue what it is. That isn't a reflection on the credential or on the employer -- it just is not something they happen to know about. You just have to explain it to them. Just tell them what the CMT represents. Explain how it fits with the job. Explain your specialized abilities--knowledge of medical reports, knowledge of physician documentation practices, knowledge of surgical procedures or whatever it is you transcribed. "I have an understanding of what SHOULD be in medical documentation. I have had specialized training in that and I passed a certification exam in it."

As an example of how you can use this, CMS requires physicians to document certain things in reports. Most coders have little understanding of what those are and how they get there. To them "HEENT" is a bunch of letters. They don't understand that a remark about the abdomen is not part of HEENT. You will never have that problem.

Other coders can't understand drug dosages and other units of measure. You don't have a problem with it. You also will never have a problem finding a drug in an index, no matter what the index is. Other coders will be stumped, but you'll just google it.

If a provider needs to set up a canned text thing for a procedure and can't get it right so that it meets what coders need and what CMS requires, most coders can't help. They might be able to look at the finished product and complain that something is missing, but they can't help the provider build that report. You can find a sample online somewhere, maybe you'll remember one another provider did, and even go sit with the provider to watch what he does. You can write that report down for the provider--I guarantee it. Other coders would not know where to begin.

If you want a vivid illustration of your abilities in this regard, google "CMS evaluation and management guidelines 1995." Also do this for 1997. You might have to leave off the word "guidelines," I can't remember. There are two versions which are slightly different. These are pdf files which you can download, about 60 pages long. They explain what a physician has to document in an office or hospital visit in order to demonstrate that certain levels of care were met.

The guidelines tell you what needs to be stated in the chief complaint, in the history of present illness, in the medical and social histories, in the review of systems, and in the physical exam. Take a look at that. In particular, look at some of the PE parts in the 1997 version.

Did anything in there . . . look familiar? I bet it will.

Why is this significant? Because coders who are not MTs have to be taught that. NOT taught what the guidelines say, but FIRST taught what a chief complain, HPI, ROS, and PE are. It remains a screaming fit to most of them, too. They never really get it.

First of all, this is one reason MTs have a leg up in coding. Second, this is going to give you a huge advantage in documentation improvement activities. You understand all of that stuff, so you can speak intelligently to doctors about it.

That's what you work into your job application and interviews. The employer might have no clue what a CMT is, so you tell them. You explain exactly what advantage it gives you. It IS an advantage and you have a right to take it.

OMG, pardon ME. Can you read? - sm - Biller but CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
What a snotty reply to me you gave. Who said only current coders could respond to her question?? Coders really do think a lot of themselves, as evidenced by this board. No one can give a differing response without being jumped on if it doesn't align with their thoughts.

I am not currently a coder at this exact moment but have had my CPC. I am billing at the moment because I got a great job billing and can move back to coding eventually but needed to get my foot in the door this way, if you must know.

Anyway, the CMT does me no good, coding or not coding. No one at my job cared about my CMT. Most people don't even know what it is. MY opinion. Hopefully I helped the original poster and it doesn't need a reply by someone looking down on billers. BTW, this is a BILLING and CODING board.
OMG, pardon ME! I wasn't replying to YOU. - Follow the threads
[ In Reply To ..]
Excuse me, but you have no reason to be offended. I wasn't talking to you or about you. I hadn't even read your post when I wrote that.

I replied to the post that begins "I let mine lapse." It is the same one you replied to.

Follow the indentations to see which post was in reply to which. They go in order of the indentations, not the time they were posted.

I had wondered if the "I let mine lapse" person was a coder or not. They didn't specify. It DOES matter because the question was not about MTs who feel it is useless, but about coders who wonder if they have a reason to keep up the credential. Lots of MTs here feel the CMT is useless, but the person wanted opinions from people in the coding field. As far as I'm concerned, you qualify.

I apologize - sm - CPC
[ In Reply To ..]
I got really blasted on this board a while back and I am touchy about it. I see now that you were not, in fact, replying to me. Again, I am sorry.
Please don't bring the "OMG" rudeness from the MT section to this section - Another Regular Reader
[ In Reply To ..]
I enjoy this coding section because it doesn't have the rudeness and one-liners that the MT section has. There are certain posters who typically fire away with "OMG" and other sarcastic comments that show their ignorance. I had hoped we would be free of that here on this section where people are or are working toward professional coding careers.
Agree, let's work toward building a great resource here. - Thanks
[ In Reply To ..]
MTs need to have a good forum where they can explore new options safely.

I am keeping mine. I want all possible doors to remain open. (nm) - who knows what the future brings

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

WMX CMTs-Will You Be Renewing Your CMT...sm
Dec 18, 2009

credential when it comes up for renewal?  They aggressively pushed this credential a few years ago and I got it (I felt pressured to), but I really hear nothing about wanting a credentialed work force from the company now. Due to the fact that our insurance has really been stink-o starting last year and this year's deductible is now $500 higher with no raise in 3+ years, I am seriously thinking about dropping it.  I was wondering if anyone else was going to do that ...

Question For CMTs
Sep 19, 2011

I am thinking about taking the test to become a CMT.  If you have done this, what references would you recommend that I have in front of me while taking the test?  Has anyone failed the test on their first try and if so, can you retake it without paying a second fee?  I have been an MT for a long time and should be able to pass the test but I'm worried they might fail you for little things.  What other suggestions can anyone offer?  I know there will be people ...

For Current (or Former) CMTs....Please.....need Advice
Aug 15, 2010

I know a lot of MTs don't feel getting credentialed is worthwhile for various reasons; however, I feel like my company is going to eventually require this of all their MTs.  Whether they are in cahoots with ADHI and it's all just a money-making scam or not I don't know. I can't worry about that.  I don't have anything against being required to be certified by the way--I just feel that if they are going to make this requirement there should be some reimbursement ...

More CMTs Coming From Off-shore
Dec 18, 2010

New CMT & RMT tests out, so off-shore will be teaching to the tests big time.  This is going on in our industry and others; but savvy big companies are awake and tweaking certification testing to catch the problem; not sure ADHI is sophisticated enough for that.  I am really NOT sure they WANT to address that issue.  Watch the flood of new CMTs from off-shore...and what it does to availability of our jobs.  (Yet there will be the re ...

Would Appreciate Some Help From Current CMTs To Help Me Decide
Apr 17, 2011

Does your employer offer a differential for being a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist)?  I am on the fence as to whether to take the CMT test now or just wait until it becomes mandatory.  Would really appreciate some help from current CMTs to maybe sway me one way or the other.  Since I am currently looking for a new employer, this may be the perfect time for me to decide.  If I go the CMT route, then I would probably apply to companies that will pay me more for the C ...

Any MQ CMTs Out There With Thoughts On Testing? I Am Thinking About It.
May 26, 2010

All I see is the test costs $$.  I have been an MT for 5+ years and would probably pass.  How difficult is it to keep up with thier recredentialing requirements?  I don't have time to do extra "homework" for free.  If it is job-related, it should be on the clock IMO.   It is a little irritating that we have to keep being tested all the time with audits, etc., and now they are pushing us to be CMT.  If I am being pushed to meet extremely high standards, I ...

Does Anyone Know How Many Total CMTs There Currently Are In The United States?
Apr 17, 2011

Does AHDI list the total number of U.S. CMTs anywhere on their website?  I have been looking, but could not find anything.  Anyone have any idea what the number might be currently?    ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...

MT In Transition
Apr 27, 2011

I work for Precyse, and they are now sending the 3rd new account in my region over to India, and we are constantly without work anymore.  I have applied for a job with Transcend Services.  Can anyone tell me about this company please?  First and foremost, do you run out of work very often?  ...

Something To Transition To!!!!
Dec 24, 2011

Is your MT career dead? Don't know what to do? Here's the NEXT BIG THING! And you get to still stay at home! hmmm, I wonder if I can hook my headset up to my phone.... LOL  =]   http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/22/phone-sex-moms_n_1166075.html?1324589894&ncid=webmail19 ...

Transition
Jan 16, 2014

How does one make the transition over to acute care with no acute care experience. All the jobs I see want acute care. I fully understand that. I am willing to make the transition if someone would give me a chance. I ran into this as a new MT back 4 years ago. I have clinic experience, but no acute care experience.  I'm looking for jobs daily as I lost my job 2 weeks ago due to electronic records. I need to work as bills are stacking up.  What companies hire for clinic work, wil ...

Transition To Third Shift
Feb 02, 2011

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone who works or has worked third shift in the past could share with me any advice they might have. I have always worked first shift, but I have been offered a really terrific position working third shift on the weekends, and I am finding myself wanting to give it a try. I know it would be a difficult transition at first, and I would need to focus on taking good care of myself. If anyone has any advice, I would so greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advanc ...

Transition From MT To Coding...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm thinking of making the jump after years (22+) in MT and LT and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the best way to go about doing this.  I have found a couple of prep courses for the CCP exam, but it would be nice if I could hear some actual experiences that people have had with some of the actual courses out there.  It would be great if you could provide links to the places that y'all have gone to.  Feel free to e-mail me if you'd prefer.  Tha ...

Nervous Transition
Oct 21, 2011

I have come into transciption within the past four years. This is something I have always wanted to do and finally found a way to get into the field. There does not seem to be alot of money in straight typing, and less in VR. I have always made incentive, but still - its just not enough and I work very hard to get that. Right now, I work for a company with straight typing only, no VR. I am taking a position with a company that has VR and it sounds to me like the position is pre ...

DSG - Hows The Transition Going?
Mar 07, 2012

Haven't seen any recent threads lately and just wondered how everyone was doing? Are things getting better for everyone? Were you able to get back on original accounts before the change? I read a thread on here a couple weeks back where people had been kinda shuffeled around and was wondering had it gotten any better for you all. ...

How Long Did Your Transition Take?
Jul 19, 2013

For those of you who worked for a hospital department that went to an MTSO, how long did the transition take? We received the notice the beginning of 11/10 and they're still not fully transitioned. The first MTSO was swallowed up by a 2nd MTSO. It's possible by Sept we'll be on Powerscribe and then my job will end. P-scribe was not supposed to be the platform in the first place either. I was kept on as an IC to help with the transition. There have been countless tech problems ...

Transition From MT To Coding
Sep 19, 2013

A question for anyone. Would you enroll in a community college program for medical coding at 57 knowing it would cost 5 grand to complete the course, and also with the knowledge that there are very few if any entry-level positions available in coding on the west coast. I see positions for in-house MT's and coders alike in other parts of the country all the time, but not so much on the west coast. I'm torn about this question, whether the commitment required would be worth it as I ...

Transition To Nuance
Jun 09, 2014

Looking for good, bad, ugly, but please just the plain truth about Nuance. I will possibly transitioning to them from my company that they bought, going from IC to employee. I am very nervous about this and need some REAL HONEST insight as to their work environment, management, attributes, and downfalls. Thanks ...

VR Editing Transition
Aug 06, 2014

Need some help here. I'm a small MTSO and have done straight transcription for almost 20 years.  I am in danger of losing my biggest client which will throw most of my subs out of work.  I've been scrambling to come up with ways to keep this account and have emailed the practice manager about ways that we could still help.  They are going to EMR and will be deploying Dragonspeak for the doctors.  Many of the doctors have nasty accents and I can only imagine what th ...

EditScript Transition
Aug 28, 2014

How long does it take for reports to transition from typed to edited when first being introduced to EditScript?  Its been almost 4 weeks and 90% or more of the jobs in my account are still straight typing.  Rarely do I see an edit job in the queue.  No one is saying how long such a transition takes.  Just wondering if anyone here has experience with their account going to editing and how long it took before they were actually doing editing instead of typing.  ...

EKG . . . . Late R Wave Transition
Jan 22, 2010

"Baseline EKG shows . . . . late R wave transition?" ...

Career Transition Idea
Jan 21, 2011

I came across this idea when looking for ideas to branch out from doing MT. A local technical school in my area offers a certification degree for a respiratory therapist. In doing some research, this doesn't sound that bad. You basically work with patient's who have trouble breathing, asthma, COPD, etc. Learn how to use all the oxygen breathing equipment and such, learn how to respond to a patient who might be coding and give proper airway support. It sounded a lot harder than it looks ...

MT Transition To Physician Assistant
Mar 05, 2011

I am considering this.  I am interested in biology and medicine, but do not want to be a nurse.  Anyone know about physician assistant's courses, how rigorous they are, how expensive and how much time it takes to complete them?  I am in the middle of getting my associates degree right now in general studies.  The original plan is going for a masters in social work, but biology and medicine is holding my interest at this point, so wondering if I should switch majors.  ...

M-Modal Meeting For DSG Transition
Feb 08, 2012

Well, I see MQ is still touting the fact that we can produce more with ASR.  Some things never change.  If I had had notice that DSG was selling out from under us, I'd have started seriously looking for another job a long time ago.  Not to mention 3 cpl less for QA submissions over 5%.  Same ol' place I left all those years ago that I swore i wouldn't go back to.  Actually, I didn't, I was just sort of "put" there.  Have choices, though, and have ...

Back-and-forth Transition Dance
Jun 17, 2012

So can someone tell me exactly why, after all the hype and cheerleading and 3 weeks of transition-from-Bayscribe-to-BeyondTXT craziness (bye-bye production, hello short paycheck!), now--with very little explanation--we've been told we're going back to square one and it was all for naught?  I'd sure like to know!          ...

DocuScribe Transition Question
Oct 22, 2012

I am typing on a platform from my old company.  Got an email today that we will start transitioning soon and training for DocuScribe.  Can someone whose been through this tell me how long it took to transition their account?  Really dreading this ... ...

Timesaver Transition To Webclock
Dec 16, 2012

Those who are still using Timesaver to log their time are supposed to be switching to webclock right? Does anyone know when that starts? I haven't heard anything about it recently.  ...

Legal Transcription - Transition Into Something Different
Jan 23, 2013

I have all these years of MT experience, but ready to transition into something different, specifically, legal transcribing. Most places (usually law firms) prefer that one have some experience either with legal transcription oreither be a paralegal or law student intern.  Is there a way I can somehow seamlessly transition into legal transcribing without all of that? ...

Andrews Grads Anyone Taken The ICD-10 Transition Course
Apr 08, 2014

I just wondered if there were any Andrews grads who have taken their transition course yet?  ...

Transition To Nuance Employee
Jun 09, 2014

Looking for good, bad, ugly, but please just the plain truth about Nuance. I will possibly transitioning to them from my company that they bought, going from IC to employee. I am very nervous about this and need some REAL HONEST insight as to their work environment, management, attributes, and downfalls. Thanks ...