A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question for CMTs - sm

Posted: Sep 19, 2011

I am thinking about taking the test to become a CMT.  If you have done this, what references would you recommend that I have in front of me while taking the test?  Has anyone failed the test on their first try and if so, can you retake it without paying a second fee?  I have been an MT for a long time and should be able to pass the test but I'm worried they might fail you for little things.  What other suggestions can anyone offer?  I know there will be people telling me to save my money.  Believe me, I really don't want to pay the devil but I am trying to make myself more marketable.  Thanks for any advice. 

cmt - I was one

[ In Reply To ..]
I was a CMT in the 1990s and then I was on the board of directors of a local chapter of AAMT (what they were called back then), so I really thought I needed to be one.

Do you live somewhere that you can get the needed CEC credits to keep up your CMT, or would you take on-line courses or something? It is expensive to keep yourself a CMT.

I did not pass my test the first time. I was not feeling great that day, and managed to really mess up. You do have to pay out the fees every time you take it. Believe it was about $300 back then.

I guess in this day and age of being and MT and being marketable, having those initials really does not help a lot anymore. Not many are giving an incentive to put out the money to become a CMT.

It depends on how many years of MT you have, but I guess whatever references you use on a regular basis would help. I know a lot of MTs will take some extra classes or get some specialized references to help study ahead of time, but that was not really needed 20 years ago, so not sure what is necessary these days.

I know I had to have a mentor sitting with me while I took the test, but I was able to do that right in the office I worked in at the time. I am sure you need to have a mentor with you now, also, but not sure how that works anymore either. I am glad I do not have to take that test now. I did not renew my CMT after the 1990s as I moved to a small town and no way of getting easy CECs like we could 20 years ago, when we had monthly meetings and annual state and national conventions to attend. Oh, for the good old days back again.

I get the CECs for free by just reading the journal articles and - answering a few questions

[ In Reply To ..]
It's not expensive at all to get your CECs. In fact, it's free! Just use the journal and take the quizzes in each category. No problem.

CMT - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe you now have to pass the RMT exam before you can take the CMT exam. I do know that NO reference materials are allowed at the testing sites. I passed the first time, so I'm not so sure about a free retake. You can check this all out at AHDI Frequently Asked Questions About the CMT exam. Regarding studying for the CMT exam, I used the CMT Review Guide and the BOS. Hope this helps and good luck!

This is correct. - CMTx2

[ In Reply To ..]
As of January 2011, you now must pass the RMT before you can take the CMT (which is why I hurried and took the test (and passed) in December 2010).

No reference materials are allowed now, and you go to an independent testing center. There will be people sitting next to you who will be sitting for other certifications. The day I was there, there were a couple of veterinarian students sitting for some sort of exam.

The days of having a mentor proctor for the second part, like how it was done in the '90s, are long over.

I studied the CMT Review Guide and the BOS. I also purchased a set of test questions on 3 CDs through AHDI. You definitely must study. Please don't think you'll ace it just because you have 20 years' experience. I have 15 years' experience, studied a lot, and still barely passed it. It was *much* more difficult compared to when I took the test (and passed) back in the late '90s. (I did not keep up with my CECs and let my first CMT lapse -- a decision I greatly regret.)

I work at a hospital, and we are on the verge of outsourcing. My CMT is likely going to save my butt. I'll probably be the only one retained because of it and will be doing QA and shift lead/trouble-shooting work. (Whew.)

I do think it's worth your time and effort.

Thank you all - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I will definitely check into this more. It seems that it is required to "move up the ladder". Thanks again.

Get the CMT blueprint guide - - A lifesaver!

[ In Reply To ..]
I passed my exam this past summer. I used the CMT test guide and also the exam blueprint. Make sure to read the appendices and study the EMR terms.

I can't believe people are still willing to waste their - money on this fake credential.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's making a few at the top in an anti-
US-MT organization, AHDI, very wealthy, and the poor MTs paying for this bogus credential are getting:
NOTHING
NADA
ZILCH
ZIP

in return, not to mention forking out more money to continue to keep the credential "valid".

AHDI and their cash cow (aka "CMT") are nothing but a money-making scheme which preys upon the insecurities of medical transcriptionists.

DON'T BUY INTO THIS FRAUD.

Unfortunately - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Some of the larger hospitals are requiring you to be a CMT before applying. Not much we can do if we want to apply for a better paying job.

This 'fake' credential got me an entire extra - 1 cent per line

[ In Reply To ..]
which in this day and age is nothing to sneeze at.

Apparently my then-employer swallowed this 'fake' credential hook, line, and sinker. Gee. Poor them. And poor me, having to accept such a pay increase. Abuse! Call the labor department!

I disagree with you. I have a great deal of respect for CMTs - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

WMX CMTs-Will You Be Renewing Your CMT...sm
Dec 18, 2009

credential when it comes up for renewal?  They aggressively pushed this credential a few years ago and I got it (I felt pressured to), but I really hear nothing about wanting a credentialed work force from the company now. Due to the fact that our insurance has really been stink-o starting last year and this year's deductible is now $500 higher with no raise in 3+ years, I am seriously thinking about dropping it.  I was wondering if anyone else was going to do that ...

CMTs Who Transition
Mar 20, 2012

Will you or have you let your CMT expire? ...

For Current (or Former) CMTs....Please.....need Advice
Aug 15, 2010

I know a lot of MTs don't feel getting credentialed is worthwhile for various reasons; however, I feel like my company is going to eventually require this of all their MTs.  Whether they are in cahoots with ADHI and it's all just a money-making scam or not I don't know. I can't worry about that.  I don't have anything against being required to be certified by the way--I just feel that if they are going to make this requirement there should be some reimbursement ...

More CMTs Coming From Off-shore
Dec 18, 2010

New CMT & RMT tests out, so off-shore will be teaching to the tests big time.  This is going on in our industry and others; but savvy big companies are awake and tweaking certification testing to catch the problem; not sure ADHI is sophisticated enough for that.  I am really NOT sure they WANT to address that issue.  Watch the flood of new CMTs from off-shore...and what it does to availability of our jobs.  (Yet there will be the re ...

Would Appreciate Some Help From Current CMTs To Help Me Decide
Apr 17, 2011

Does your employer offer a differential for being a CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist)?  I am on the fence as to whether to take the CMT test now or just wait until it becomes mandatory.  Would really appreciate some help from current CMTs to maybe sway me one way or the other.  Since I am currently looking for a new employer, this may be the perfect time for me to decide.  If I go the CMT route, then I would probably apply to companies that will pay me more for the C ...

Any MQ CMTs Out There With Thoughts On Testing? I Am Thinking About It.
May 26, 2010

All I see is the test costs $$.  I have been an MT for 5+ years and would probably pass.  How difficult is it to keep up with thier recredentialing requirements?  I don't have time to do extra "homework" for free.  If it is job-related, it should be on the clock IMO.   It is a little irritating that we have to keep being tested all the time with audits, etc., and now they are pushing us to be CMT.  If I am being pushed to meet extremely high standards, I ...

Does Anyone Know How Many Total CMTs There Currently Are In The United States?
Apr 17, 2011

Does AHDI list the total number of U.S. CMTs anywhere on their website?  I have been looking, but could not find anything.  Anyone have any idea what the number might be currently?    ...

WebmedX - VAST Layoffs, Now Firings, Even Of CMTs, 1/3 Pay
Oct 10, 2010

First continually and rapidly cutting our pay to nothing while we had to retrain on numerous systems, then mass layoffs of seasoned employees, even CMTs AND newbies, now they're trying this week to create reasons to let the rest of us go.  I think it's past time we look into A.) a class-action lawsuit and B.) go public with our outrage!  They cut our pay to nothing but continue to charge their CLIENTS too much so they lose accounts to MedQuist and start treating US like dirt? ...