A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

It's officially May 1st for parts of the country - Anyone striking today? - Just curious

Posted: May 01, 2012

Since it's official "D-Day," was just wondering if anyone was actually calling off today.

If you're off today, hope you're having fun and making the most of it!

Nope. Working as usual. nm - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Working! - and loving it.

[ In Reply To ..]
:)

Working, as well! - Suzieqqq

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't see jeopardizing my 2 jobs for the sake of hopefully making a point that really, seriously, won't "be heard" as loud as those striking would hope. I love my MTSOs and won't do this to them.. and won't sacrifice my family's well-being for one day of a strike...good luck to those that can do this - I truly hope I am wrong and a huge point was made!!!
Working - Want nothing to do with anything OWS
[ In Reply To ..]
I also find it pretty telling that they picked a communist symbol to place on their signs.
What is OWS? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
n
OWS - workingmt
[ In Reply To ..]
OWS - Occupy Wall Street. I could go into a long long explanation of who these people are, and it would be a one-sided viewpoint, so will stop there and allow you to form your opinion of this "movement"..
Ah. I figured the word occupy was in there somewhere - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
n

Working here...NM - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

I plan to. I am a bit surprised and saddened though that - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
the other MTs who work for this company are not. We are getting paid crap!! I guess it is possible some of them aren't, but I doubt it.

it's not a one-shot deal - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
Took the US decades to get where it is today. Going to take decades to turn it around.

Who is to say what is a fair wage for MTs? - I wonder

[ In Reply To ..]
So many MTs come on here talking about low wages. I personally agree that 4 cpl for some VR is ridiculous UNLESS you do not have to correct much, and can edit 500 lines an hour. I do not believe that is the case because so many companies put anything and everything on VR because of that low wage, which also defeats the intended purpose of VR.

I make 6 cpl VR. It is a pain in the butt, and I would prefer to type, but I guess it is fair, 350 lph works out to be $1680 per pay period; however, I do 50/50 typing and VR.

I also agree that 7 cpl is not very good pay for typing, although many years ago when I made that, I turned it into $36,000 a year on a clinic account.

So, what are MTs worth? Certainly not what many of them think they are worth. What is fair?

I make 9 cpl typing. If I did only that, I would probably make around $50,000 per year, which I think is great!! I have been there. However, give another MT that 9 cpl and she may only make $35,000 per year. Why? Not as skilled? Takes her longer to research? She stops at the minimum line count?

I believe anything between $25,000 (newbies) to $50,000 (full time experienced MT) is a good wage. Why is it some MTs are doing well and some not? Maybe it is partly because of the MTSO platform, low or no work, or a difficult account. Maybe some of the MTs are not making what they deserve, and maybe some of them do not put forth the effort to do so, I don't know - I really don't. But, if there was a 1-size-fits-all wage, what should it be? Too many factors to be considered, but if you put 2 MTs on the same account, making the same, say 7 cpl. One of them is capable of making up to $10,000 more than the other due to work ethic, experience, etc.

Considering my work ethic, my rate of pay for VR and typing, and my wage experience, should I not be able to go to another company and make close to the same even if it were 8 cpl typing and 4 cpl VR? If my pay drops more than $10,000, I have to say that company is not paying enough. If I go there and make relatively the same, I would be happy, even with 4 cpl and 8 cpl.

What do you think is the right 1-size-fits all pay rate? It is hard to protest something, it you do not actually state what IS fair.

6 cpl is a "one size fits all" for VR. I think there - would be far less complaints if

[ In Reply To ..]
6 cents per line was the standard editing rate industry wide.

Typing varies because I personally see very little straight typing, 99.9% of my work is VR.

Yes, what the MT does with that 6cpl as far as - earning potential is

[ In Reply To ..]
up to them. I know I can do very well with 6cpl.

But to me, its more about what you are worth. I went from bringing home $1500 a pay period before being outsourced to bringing in $750 at 4cpl.

I dont need to boast about my years experience and how good I am to get my point across, the fact of the matter is, I need to be paid what I am worth.

I did get it by the way, no more 4cpl for me; but thats because I stood up for myself to get it and they valued me as an employee and did not want to lose me.

Well you go right ahead and be happy with your - 4cpl.

[ In Reply To ..]
unbelievable.
mislleading - she not once said she works for 4 cpl - comprehension please. anon
[ In Reply To ..]
unbelievable. no commont on the issues discussed in her post??
What issues? There was nothing worth addressing - I know she said she makes 6..sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I read where she said she makes 6cpl, but from what I could tell it sounded like she was saying she could probably due equally as well with 4 because she is so good and so experienced.

I told her to go right ahead and be happy with her 4cpl if she could do well with that too.

Nothing else worth addressing.
Being happy with 4 cpl. Did you even read the post? - Talk about unbelievable! nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes, I read the post - see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
She said she makes 6cpl ASR and 9cpl straight typing.

She said she could probably do equally as well with 8 and 4 given her experience and work ethics.

She wondered what a fair wage would be? A fair wage industry wide should be 6 cents per line across the board.

The rest was more less her talking about how well she could do with even 8 or 4 cpl because she is just that good.

To me it does not matter how good you are, its about the principle. Whether I could do well on 4cpl or not, I still wouldn't work for it.
So obvious you have a comprehension problem. - and relating to what if
[ In Reply To ..]
Were you just looking to offend, or perhaps claim to be offended? You really should try to understand a post before you respond, especially a seond and third time. She did not say she could do just as well with 4 cpl. She said it was low pay "UNLESS" you had very little correction to do, and could average 500 lines an hour. By my estimation, that would equate to about $40,000 per year. And you would not work for that? You are worth more? How is the air up there in the clouds.
Look, dont make me get nasty with you. - see msg.
[ In Reply To ..]
I said what I said and thats it and thats all.

I dont do 500 lines per hour, more like 300 to 350 on VR.

I am already making 6cpl, but I believe EVERYONE should make it regardless of their earning potential.

She was all over the place with her different variables, which is irrelevant to me.

The point is, I dont care who you are, you deserve to paid at least 6 cents per line for voice recognition and the industry standard is too low.

I dont have a "comprehension problem" and I dont appreciate your insulting remarks. I was not nasty, I was not rude, but you have been.
Oh my, I am really scared. - Who cares
[ In Reply To ..]
The only point was you posted an irrelevant response, and stated a point not made and not intended. You can get nasty if you want. Do you really think anyone cares? Really does not bother me.
You must be bothered you keep posting. - no msg.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Working for 4 cpl editing - aly
[ In Reply To ..]
Where are you working for 6 cpl? I am making only 4 for a national, that is the standard they are paying the newbies in the industry now until you have a few years exp. So for newbies, 4 cpl really stinks, practically minimum wage for this account that I am on, and does not give me any motivation working it either! I would give anything for 6.
See msg - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
My pay is (as with most)confidential. The only reason I posted it was because of the topic at hand.

So for reasons of identity and confidentialty, I am not going to disclose my company.

Working as usual. nm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
x

working as always! Extra as well. - mimi

[ In Reply To ..]
not a believer in you way is the highway. but good luck to you.

working-sm - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
after months of unemployment, I have settled into a decent job. I can't afford to have scruples at the moment...lol.

Can't go by what's on message board - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
why leave a paper trail of what you're doing :)

I am working today. No need to imply that those of us - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
who are working (for whatever reason) are lying. I really think it's time to give it up and let those of work who want to. If you don't want to, that's fine. But, some of us have CHOSEN to work today because we enjoy (for the most part) our jobs!

I'm not implying you're lying... - wheres_my_job

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm STATING that those who are striking or otherwise involved in Occupy events, are not going to necessarily broadcast that fact on a message board.

Didn't say anything about those who have posted about working.

And I myself am certainly not describing my activities today on this message board... :)
So you could possibly be working today... hmm. nm - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
aren't you supposed to be at an event, instead of - trolling all day?
[ In Reply To ..]
Thought you had all this stuff to do for YOUR BIG DAY! What, went to work and decided to post instead?
I could be doing a sociological study... - wheres_my_job
[ In Reply To ..]
...of the responses on this board :)

Similar Messages:

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

I Am Not Striking May 1, But Those Who Are
Apr 30, 2012

I am not striking on May 1.  I am not in the position to do so for several reasons I will not go into because I am not going to defend myself here. I am somewhat successful at the moment in MT, but I know the rug can be pulled out from under me at any time without notice.  I could lose my income, my benefits, PTO, etc.  This has happened to me before.  I have been where some of you are.  It is not just the MT industry, but many places, if you can even find a good payin ...

Too Much Talk Of Striking Lately, But Can We As A Group Of MTs
May 10, 2012

Let's face it, striking will do no good.  Complaining about off-shoring has done no good, unless that will cease at a national level for all industries.  Complaining about pay is doing no good, since there is always an MT that will take a job at any rate.  What can we do? What if instead of a strike, all MTs did only the minimum line requirement for a week?  I think many, many MTs should go the Labor Board and file a complaint: If a company requires you to clock in an ...

Word 2007 - Quick Parts
Apr 12, 2011

My Word 2007 will not let me make Quick Parts/Auto text and use them.   Is there something I am doing wrong? ...

Book Of Style - What Parts Are The Most Necessary To Bone Up On?
Jun 06, 2011

I just purchased the Book of Style.  II realize companies want you to be familiar with it, but what parts are the most necessary to bone up on?  It is a huge book.  Thaniks. ...

Is It My MQ Computer Or Is DQS7 Or Parts Of Installed
Dec 29, 2011

I have 1/2 the required RAM, told by a microsoft website techie through a Serv Man ticket that DQS7 has shown to work OK with 890 RAM instead of 2.  The MQ computer is struggling now AGAIN like last time when the system went down with the major upgrade - slow whirring computer, always downloading or updating Kapersky or some mystery software or action.  Speech is so slow I have to wait for it to correct - this especially in long jobs.  Anyone else have these intermittent - but lon ...

I Am Officially On Welfare Now
Jan 04, 2014

Last month I made $293.48.  This is after sitting in front of my computer 7 days a week for at least 8 hours each day.  I lost 3 IC jobs this past year due to two buyouts and one compay losing almost all their accounts.  So, I went down to the welfare office yesterday and applied for TANF and food stamps.  I will be getting my food stamp card in the mail next week as I'm classified as an "emergency" case since I have a small child to feed.  I will also be getting TA ...

So Now We Are Officially Called MLS. Just A Fancy Name For Peons.
Sep 05, 2012

. ...

YAY!!!! I'M OFFICIALLY OUTTA HERE - You Have No Idea How Good This Feels.
Mar 02, 2010

Hey Everyone! Yesterday was my last day with the Evil Q.  I've had a non-MT job for a couple of months and I was finally assured it will be permanent and I gave notice.  I've been with the Q for 10 years.  Like everyone, I saw my paychecks dwindling and could no longer make a living, nor could I afford more of MedQuist's "experiments" at my expense.  I saw the writing on the wall years ago and did nothing because of a fear of leaving and thinking things ...

Just Typed My Last Report Ever And Have Officially Said Goodbye To Nuance - Bitter Sweet
May 07, 2015

Today ends an era of an 18-year career as a medical transcriptionist.  I resigned a couple weeks' back to accept a position outside of the transcription industry.  It is bitter sweet because transcription has been such a huge part of my life and became a part of my way of living.  I won't trash talk Nuance today because it has absolutely no benefit.  After all, I was able to muddle through the changes as well as what I see as unethical policies and procedures and wa ...

Would You Hyphenate Cross Country
Jul 18, 2011

The patient is from X and travelled cross country on a tricycle motorbike.  May be a stupid question, but forgive me, it is Monday!!!  Thanks! ...

Country Bouncing Hospital
May 23, 2012

Okay, many months ago my area lost an account overseas because, according to the CCM, there were way too many blanks and the client was not happy.  (Why they would think going overseas would make the work better, I don't know).  Not too long ago, that account has come back to US soil saying that there were still getting too many blanks.  Once again, they are complaining of too many blanks from the US MTs. I'm thinking that maybe the blank problem has nothing to do wit ...

US Companies Who Hire American MTs Outside Of Country
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know of stateside MTSOs who hire MTs outside of the country.  After 30 plus years will be retiring outside of USA and would like to continue to work. ...

ANY HOSPITALS IN THE COUNTRY HIRING IN-HOUSE?
Jan 04, 2012

I was wondering if there are any hospitals that are hiring full-time transcriptionists for in-house transcriptionists -- not MTSO companies -- but actual hospitals or clinics.  I might be willing to relocate.  ...

Guys, WHY Are People Across Our Country And Around The Planet
May 01, 2012

Don't think today was that big? When was the last time this happened? This is remarkable, and it is the beginning because it has to be. International business has institutionalized exploitation and ruthless profiteering to the point that there has to be change. Notice that other countries are no longer willing to be where companies go to pay pennies instead of dollars? This is good! This is something BIG building. Look for quiet ways to take a stand now and plan to find a way to build our ...

Working While Visiting A Foreign Country
Jun 12, 2012

Hi All, Because of family "emergency" I may have to go overseas for a few weeks.  I'd like to keep working because I don't have any leave available right now.  I'm wondering if any of you out there have ever brought your laptop and worked from a foreign country.  If so, were there any technical issues?  I know some websites have their access blocked from certain parts of the world and I'm wondering if DocQScribe and DocQManage have any issues like that. ...

Help? I Need Two Names To Give As References. I Live In The Country
Feb 09, 2013

supervisor at a company I've been with for years, the others having disappeared with a wave of the corporate wand at various times. I haven't told her I'm leaving yet and am a little afraid of the reaction; she's good at her job but can be...volatile. So, if anyone could help me, please e-mail, and I'd be happy to reciprocate.  ...

The "Blog" Mentality Is Something Our Country And Industry Should Fear
Jul 18, 2012

There is a discussion below about blogs. I've felt for a long time that the whole idea of blogging has some danger flags. First, bloggers talk to us. They represent one philosophy or present facts from one person's viewpoint. Readers can often reply, but any dissenting viewpoints are quickly shut down. Independent thinking is discouraged in a number of ways. We are told what to think, what movies or TV shows to watch, what jobs we should take, what books we should read. It's usual ...

Are Timesheets Approved Today? Nothing From TSM On Monday Or Today. NM
Jan 01, 2014

xx ...

Email Working Today? Silent Today.
Feb 25, 2015

By this time in the day, usually, there has been at least 7 emails - several from QA, at least 2-3 backlog updates, and 1 reminder to work our shift and work our entire shift. ...

Is Anyone Else Getting Less ASR Today?
Feb 03, 2010

My work is normally about 97% ASR, today I have only had 1 ASR job.  I'm not complaining, quite the opposite actually.  I'm just curious if anyone else is getting less ASR work today.  I was hoping it was down and we can expect a day or two of straight typing. ...

Anyone Else Down Today?
Apr 29, 2010

Unable to log on because DQS needs to be updated.  Then can't update on DocuManage because there's no link.  They tell me they someone will call back and help me, but they have no way of knowing when.  This would definitely qualify for technical downtime, am I right?  Anyone else having this issue today? ...

What Is Up With DQS Today?
May 23, 2010

DQS is driving me crazy today.  When I push the pedal, it takes a couple seconds to start playing.  If I let off the pedal, it keeps going for a couple seconds and I can't get it to stop.  The typing I am doing does not keep up with my finger speed either, with words not showing up until after I've typed them. I use my own computer and have never encountered this issue before.  It is a major hindrance though, slowing me down. What's next? ...

Today Was My Last Day With MQ.
Jun 08, 2010

Typing that last report, signing out for the last time.....it was all very surreal.  I still can't believe I actually left.  Sad though because I wasn't offered anything PT (not that I would had taken it), and nobody said "we'll be happy to take you back".  AND....no exit interview.  Guess I thought they appreciated me more than that.  Oh well.  Some of my friends wished me well and will miss me.  Thats all I need.  ...

QA'd My First ILP Today.
Feb 02, 2011

Horrendous, absolutely horrendous.  It felt like I was editing an ASR report.  If they are all like this one, then I have no worries about losing my job to the Indians because once the clients see the garbage that is coming out of there, they will be begging for the USA.  ...

Have Gotten SO Much Done Today Already!
Feb 04, 2011

Since my shift started a little over an hour ago, I have blown out my hair, cleaned the bathroom, made a dentist appointment and paid some bills! Whew! Looking for what to do next because it sure doesn't look like I'll be doing any typing this morning.  NJA all day so far! Weeeeeee!!!!! (Sorry, just needed to try to make some humor out of it). Hope everybody has a great weekend! ...

Today Is When I Let It All Go
Jul 13, 2012

I get so fuming mad about all these things that are going on at Nuance and with our careers and livlihoods, the lies and deceitful practices of this company that came along and gobbled up all the MTSOs and made my life a nightmare. I am the type of person that wants to fight for what is right and make my voice heard. Why such a company could come in and treat the employees the way Nuance does. I fell that if I try to fight I will just get myself into major trouble. ...

The BIG Lay-off Today
Apr 04, 2013

I have not posted on this site for a long, long time because there is so much negativity on here and stuff that was posted that is simply untrue.  Not sure why anyone would stay with a company when they are so unhappy and then good people get laid off.  Today I got the call, about 3 hours into my shift. I knew something was up as my caller ID never says Medquist on it.  My TSM's voice sounded really awful and all she could say was I am sorry to call with bad news but you have ...

Is Today Pay Day?
May 17, 2013

I thought today was pay day??  No direct deposit for me.  Maybe i'm confused ...

ASR Bad Today
Jul 08, 2013

Noticing this a.m. really BAD.  Putting in a lot that is NOT said and leaving out what IS said.  As if our job isn't aggravating enough.  More typing than editing. ...