A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Working while visiting a foreign country - Grateful

Posted: Jun 12, 2012

Hi All,

Because of family "emergency" I may have to go overseas for a few weeks.  I'd like to keep working because I don't have any leave available right now.  I'm wondering if any of you out there have ever brought your laptop and worked from a foreign country.  If so, were there any technical issues?  I know some websites have their access blocked from certain parts of the world and I'm wondering if DocQScribe and DocQManage have any issues like that.

I'd really appreciate hearing your experiences and knowledge.  Thanks!

better check with CCM - dont think it is allowed

[ In Reply To ..]
due to privacy/tax/etc issues...Imho anyway..

What? If that were the case, why are they outsourcing? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never worked from a foreign country but I've been a dual resident of 2 different states and my understanding is that we can work anywhere in the world as long as there is internet service available. You can download the DocQScribe software onto any computer on earth from the Medquist website - once you have downloaded the software you're good to go on any computer.

Outsource: when clinic/hosp sends dictation to MTSO. - Offshore: when MTSO sends overseas to be done.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Working overseas - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
It makes no sense at all why we aren't allowed to work overseas. I, being the spouse of a military person who is deployed overseas have asked this same question. M*Modal is a big sponsor of the Military Spouses Initiative, which sponsors military spouses to work from home and be able to transfer seamlessly. I do know that if you had a VPN from the country you were in, it routes to IP address back to the United States therefore letting you work with no technical issues. Good luck to you!

Thanks all - Grateful

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks everyone for your responses! I am still waiting to hear back from my CCM. I'll let you know what answer I get.

I worked overseas for 4 years -- sm - FLMT

[ In Reply To ..]
for the Q, but I played "Don't ask, don't tell". I just didn't tell them I was out of the country. Remember, it is easier to apologize than to ask permission.

Similar Messages:

Did Anyone Get A Foreign Email Like This?
Mar 23, 2010

I RECEIVED EMAIL BELOW.  It was sent to my email address by responding to one of my MTSTARS Post.   Hai,  I  am  a  medical  transcriptionist  from  Sri  Lanka,  and  have  been  a  medical  transcriptionist  for  the  past  five  years.  Presently  I  am  employed  as  a  medical  transcriptionist  but  working  for  a  pi ...

FOREIGN ACCENTS
Jul 28, 2010

Any advice or recommendations on understanding foreign accents? ...

Foreign Doctor Pronunciation
Jan 18, 2010

If I could transcribe for this doctor on a daily basis, then I might finally learn his pronounciation of medical terminology. I have no idea what he is saying...........It is important that valium not be administered for DTs until the patient’s arterial blood gas ______ is _______. Sounds like he is saying "arterial blood gas bestla is esogrich.  Could he mean breathalyzer maybe because he is alcoholic?  I have no clue what he means by esogrich. ...

Foreign Doctor Dictations
Aug 28, 2013

Is anyone else at Nuance getting foreign doctor dictations constantly during their shift? I do not mind doing a few at a time but having to do a full shift of foreign doctors is getting very trying. Thanks! ...

Foreign-transcribed Records
Aug 17, 2014

A friend of mine who works in a medical office told me this afternoon that they've started getting records that are transcribed overseas. She said the records are done so badly that they can't use them, can't trust that the information in them is correct. When I told her my job may go away soon & be sent to India, she said "it can't!" She said these records are obviously done by people who don't speak English. What I don't understand is how work can still be off ...

So Sick Of Listening To These Foreign Doctors
Apr 02, 2013

I am sitting here literally ready to punch the wall out of sheer frustration. So sick of listening to these foreign doctors. Are there any of the regions that are not saturated with them? Seems like mine is chock full. When I transcribed for another company, with a lot of the hospitals in the Southern end of the US, it was not near as bad. VA Hospitals, full to the brim with them and overflowing as well.. ...

Would You Hyphenate Cross Country
Jul 18, 2011

The patient is from X and travelled cross country on a tricycle motorbike.  May be a stupid question, but forgive me, it is Monday!!!  Thanks! ...

Country Bouncing Hospital
May 23, 2012

Okay, many months ago my area lost an account overseas because, according to the CCM, there were way too many blanks and the client was not happy.  (Why they would think going overseas would make the work better, I don't know).  Not too long ago, that account has come back to US soil saying that there were still getting too many blanks.  Once again, they are complaining of too many blanks from the US MTs. I'm thinking that maybe the blank problem has nothing to do wit ...

Need Medical Terms That Originated In Foreign Languages
Aug 11, 2010

I'm looking for a list of medical terms widely used in the US that have come from other languages (French, Spanish, Italian, German). An example would be "peau d'orange" to describe skin like orange peel in breast cancer inflamations. Has anyone seen such a list on the web ? ...

US Companies Who Hire American MTs Outside Of Country
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know of stateside MTSOs who hire MTs outside of the country.  After 30 plus years will be retiring outside of USA and would like to continue to work. ...

ANY HOSPITALS IN THE COUNTRY HIRING IN-HOUSE?
Jan 04, 2012

I was wondering if there are any hospitals that are hiring full-time transcriptionists for in-house transcriptionists -- not MTSO companies -- but actual hospitals or clinics.  I might be willing to relocate.  ...

Guys, WHY Are People Across Our Country And Around The Planet
May 01, 2012

Don't think today was that big? When was the last time this happened? This is remarkable, and it is the beginning because it has to be. International business has institutionalized exploitation and ruthless profiteering to the point that there has to be change. Notice that other countries are no longer willing to be where companies go to pay pennies instead of dollars? This is good! This is something BIG building. Look for quiet ways to take a stand now and plan to find a way to build our ...

It's Officially May 1st For Parts Of The Country - Anyone Striking Today?
May 01, 2012

Since it's official "D-Day," was just wondering if anyone was actually calling off today. If you're off today, hope you're having fun and making the most of it! ...

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

Help? I Need Two Names To Give As References. I Live In The Country
Feb 09, 2013

supervisor at a company I've been with for years, the others having disappeared with a wave of the corporate wand at various times. I haven't told her I'm leaving yet and am a little afraid of the reaction; she's good at her job but can be...volatile. So, if anyone could help me, please e-mail, and I'd be happy to reciprocate.  ...

Eye Exam For Foreign Body S/L "litterer"
Dec 09, 2010

TIA ...

The "Blog" Mentality Is Something Our Country And Industry Should Fear
Jul 18, 2012

There is a discussion below about blogs. I've felt for a long time that the whole idea of blogging has some danger flags. First, bloggers talk to us. They represent one philosophy or present facts from one person's viewpoint. Readers can often reply, but any dissenting viewpoints are quickly shut down. Independent thinking is discouraged in a number of ways. We are told what to think, what movies or TV shows to watch, what jobs we should take, what books we should read. It's usual ...

When Does Working For 6.5 Cpl VBC Beat Not Working Because Of No Work?!!!!
Oct 09, 2014

d ...

Working For The VA
Apr 24, 2010

Just wondering how the MT's that work for the VA like it. When you're directed to their web site, it really doesn't say too much.  Thanks ...

Working Either Way
May 10, 2010

I would like to work "outside" of home but it is quite a struggle getting the okay from my husband.  The transcription is pretty unbearable to me. Anyone else have that concern? ...

DQS Not Working?
Aug 06, 2010

DQS down for anyone else?  I try to log in and it says "failed to connect." ...

US MT Working Outside Of The US
Nov 12, 2010

I have an odd question.  If a US trained Medical Transcriptionist works from home (in the U.S.), but then decides to spend 1/2 the year (or more) in a foreign country, is it possible (ethical/legal) to continue working as an MT while in that country?  The MT would keep the US address, and bank account.  All paychecks would continue to be direct deposited into current U.S. bank account.  MT would continue to pay U.S. taxes on all monies earned.  Does anyone see anyt ...

Working With Pet
Feb 02, 2011

I have a new pet - a dog - who wants to sit next to me while I work. Does anyone have any ideas how to "update" my chair so this is possible. She's not very big, only about 15-16 lbs but I have no idea how to adapt my chair to make this possible. TIA. ...

Anyone Working For TSI?
Mar 18, 2011

I went to their website for the current job posting but my security software kicked me out of their site. Can anyone give me info on working there, good, bad, ugly???   Thanks in Advance! ...

DQS Is Working Again
May 28, 2011

Hope my work is still available to recover. ...

Working More Than 1 Job
Oct 17, 2011

I know I am not the only one working 2 jobs or more.  Between them I am scheduled 68 hours per week.  I have them spread out enough I have "long breaks" in between to fix supper, take a little me time out around the lunch hour and housework kind of gets slighted.   Watching TV of a night with hubby sleeping in his recliner is the main thing I am "missing out on".   I don't spend as much money because I simply don't have the time to go out shopping other th ...

Well I Used To Like Working For DSG...
Feb 06, 2012

And to think, I actually left medquist to work for DSG.   Now they're forcing me to work for medquist again, and trying to convince me it's going to be a good thing?   I love to know if any DSGers are actually happy about this...   ...

Working PT/PRN
Jul 05, 2012

Does anyone know of any companies that hire on a super PT or PRN basis? I am looking for some backup whenever my FT position gets slow. I comb the job postings here regularly and on another site, but really haven't come across anything as of late.   TIA. ...

Could Anyone Who Is Currently Working For
Aug 24, 2012

CCT please message me?  I have a few questions:)  Thanks! ...

Looking For Others Working For AP
Sep 19, 2012

Anyone still with AP?  ...