A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

The "Blog" Mentality Is Something Our Country and Industry Should Fear - Independent Thinker

Posted: Jul 18, 2012

There is a discussion below about blogs. I've felt for a long time that the whole idea of blogging has some danger flags. First, bloggers talk to us. They represent one philosophy or present facts from one person's viewpoint. Readers can often reply, but any dissenting viewpoints are quickly shut down. Independent thinking is discouraged in a number of ways. We are told what to think, what movies or TV shows to watch, what jobs we should take, what books we should read. It's usually done in a cozy, warm way that makes us feel that the blogger knows more than we do and is just taking care of us. I can take care of myself. The more I visit the blogs in my own personal collection, the more I realize, their voices are drowning out my own thoughts, the books I want to read, the music I want to listen to, and my own thoughts about my career.

You know what? America was never about robotic thinking. I think the idea of blogging is predatory as described in one of the posts below. No actual conversations or discussions happen. Ideas are presented "to" us. We are the recipients of them. If we listen long enough, we believe what the blogger of choice has programmed into our heads.  When I think of the future, I see little robotic communities being fed by the stronger bloggers, who eat all of the smaller, weaker bloggers.

Stepford Wives ring a bell??? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Now that's just scary - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Can you imagine what the world will be like 20 years from now. Instead of countries, we'll have giant blogs. Everyone will belong to the blog of their choice. Then there will be the "blog-eaters" who make war against blogs---for money of course. Eeeeyuck, what a horrible idea! I think I'll be having nightmares now. Thanks alot.

sounds like the makings of a good movie. ha ha. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Respectfully disagree. No one could have imagined how we all - can speak to the entire country now, and

[ In Reply To ..]
others. Anyone who searches our terms, for instance, will find us. Independent thinkers always had their own voices, but nothing like this, and in the past most knew better than to bother others in their villages with their nonconforming thoughts.

Today's exchange of thoughts freely around the globe is truly wonderful and amazing. One of the biggest dangers from all this comes from this new freedom--that there is a plethora of voices out there for every taste. Family and neighbors have lost their healthy balancing effect as their...let's say more "independent" thinkers are always able to find a more satisfactory community of true believers to reinforce any viewpoint, no matter how mean or how bizarre and unfounded.

Regardless, viva freedom of speech and blogs as just one more means of exercising it. By the way, I have one. It's free too. :)

What you said just made my head hurt - Respectfully

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not sure what you just said. I think you said there have always been independent thinkers but people just thought they were crazy. Now they all just have blogs. ???

That explains a lot - Sigh

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Agree. Because content makes sense but.... - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I know what you mean. Some here post as if they're speaking out loud vs. written word. I've noticed this more lately on this board. It's unfamiliarity with how to actually write - syntax, punctuation, etc. It makes it hard to follow.
Sorry. Fraid my terminal verbosity is bad enough before - expressing as stream of thought. How about
[ In Reply To ..]
this:

Don't like one blog among thousands?
Choose another one. Or don't.
Write your own blog. Or don't.

:)
I like your sense of humor - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
:) - Like yours too. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Career Blog
May 01, 2013

I found this blog I thought ya'll might be interested in.  It's about a woman in her 50s who used to be a freelance at-home writer/editor who was paid per piece.  She's now trying to re-enter the workforce.  I haven't read all her posts, but I still thought it would be helpful to some of you who are trying to get out of MT.   http://jobs.aol.com/articles/bloggers/gail-belsky/ ...

Check Out MModal Blog
Oct 30, 2014

This company will follow their pattern.  Good luck. ...

This Blog Might Interest Those That Work For Nuance Or M*Modal
Jul 11, 2012

Is There A Market Reshuffling On The Horizon For The Medical Transcription Industry? Today I’m going to indulge in something I rarely do, much to the exasperation of my wife Carol. A goodly number of our conversations begin with her asking me, “What do you suppose…” and end with me saying, “I don’t have a clue.” I’m not sure if this reluctance to speculate is a guy thing or just a facet of my own particular personality, but for once I’m g ...

Excellent Blog Post On MT Wages (and Transcend Class-action Suit)
May 21, 2012

http://mtanywhere.blogspot.com/2012/05/transcriptionists-file-class-action.html   ...

Would You Hyphenate Cross Country
Jul 18, 2011

The patient is from X and travelled cross country on a tricycle motorbike.  May be a stupid question, but forgive me, it is Monday!!!  Thanks! ...

Country Bouncing Hospital
May 23, 2012

Okay, many months ago my area lost an account overseas because, according to the CCM, there were way too many blanks and the client was not happy.  (Why they would think going overseas would make the work better, I don't know).  Not too long ago, that account has come back to US soil saying that there were still getting too many blanks.  Once again, they are complaining of too many blanks from the US MTs. I'm thinking that maybe the blank problem has nothing to do wit ...

US Companies Who Hire American MTs Outside Of Country
Nov 17, 2009

Does anyone know of stateside MTSOs who hire MTs outside of the country.  After 30 plus years will be retiring outside of USA and would like to continue to work. ...

ANY HOSPITALS IN THE COUNTRY HIRING IN-HOUSE?
Jan 04, 2012

I was wondering if there are any hospitals that are hiring full-time transcriptionists for in-house transcriptionists -- not MTSO companies -- but actual hospitals or clinics.  I might be willing to relocate.  ...

Guys, WHY Are People Across Our Country And Around The Planet
May 01, 2012

Don't think today was that big? When was the last time this happened? This is remarkable, and it is the beginning because it has to be. International business has institutionalized exploitation and ruthless profiteering to the point that there has to be change. Notice that other countries are no longer willing to be where companies go to pay pennies instead of dollars? This is good! This is something BIG building. Look for quiet ways to take a stand now and plan to find a way to build our ...

Working While Visiting A Foreign Country
Jun 12, 2012

Hi All, Because of family "emergency" I may have to go overseas for a few weeks.  I'd like to keep working because I don't have any leave available right now.  I'm wondering if any of you out there have ever brought your laptop and worked from a foreign country.  If so, were there any technical issues?  I know some websites have their access blocked from certain parts of the world and I'm wondering if DocQScribe and DocQManage have any issues like that. ...

It's Officially May 1st For Parts Of The Country - Anyone Striking Today?
May 01, 2012

Since it's official "D-Day," was just wondering if anyone was actually calling off today. If you're off today, hope you're having fun and making the most of it! ...

Country-wide Strike In India Today
May 31, 2012

Wondering if anyone has noticed an increase in work because of this? My accounts are still pretty low. ...

Help? I Need Two Names To Give As References. I Live In The Country
Feb 09, 2013

supervisor at a company I've been with for years, the others having disappeared with a wave of the corporate wand at various times. I haven't told her I'm leaving yet and am a little afraid of the reaction; she's good at her job but can be...volatile. So, if anyone could help me, please e-mail, and I'd be happy to reciprocate.  ...

In Fear . . .
Jan 09, 2014

Making myself sick sitting here worrying.  Message to contact TSM to discuss latest audit.  Got a 98.2.  Already received corrective action a little over a month ago.  My first written.  Wondering what is in store for me?  Like everyone else, I can't afford to lose my job.  I keep looking but nothing else is coming my way.  Please pray for me.  Hope I am just borrowing trouble. I put in dates of service that were not dictated, so I made the mist ...

Does Anyone Else Fear That OTI Is Soon To Be No More?
Feb 17, 2014

I am really beginning to think it's all but over! ...

The "tell Us Who You Work For" Mentality
Apr 25, 2011

I find it incredibly lazy of the MTs who constantly post "so tell us who you work for" when an MT shares a positive experience. How do you think those of us who have good gigs got them?  Do you think someone called us up, said, "Hey, this is a good company," applied for us, got us in or whatever?  No.  We did the research.  We kissed the frogs but were smart enough to know when a frog WAS a frog. If you are in a work situation that does not work for you-- WHY ARE YOU THERE? ...

Fear Will Work
Apr 22, 2012

nm ...

I Fear QA Audit - Help!
Aug 04, 2012

I just started a few days ago. I fear the QA audits. How tough is it? Do they give us a chance? Do they can us immediately if we fail a few times during training? Help, raw data needed! ...

Facing My Fear
Jan 10, 2013

I know I have to leave this job at some point and go out into the real world, a real office, a real job.  Can anybody give me some advice on how to overcome my fears?  Journalling?  I can't afford counseling right now.  I have had to face these kinds of life changes in the past, but that was many years ago when I was younger.  I am not so young anymore and the thought of working outside the house is terrifying me.  I have checklists and have done extensive rese ...

Living In Fear
Dec 04, 2013

Just got e-mail stating I did NOT pass my audit.  i got 99.4%.  i have been with this company for over 15 years.  Lately, I stress out every day over this job.  I am sitting here waiting for a phone call from my TSM to discuss this.  I am quite worried.  Living paycheck to paycheck now.  Cannot afford to take another pay cut or lose my job.  If they do put you on 100% do you ever get taken off? I have slowed down and really tried to be more careful/cautio ...

How Do You Get Over Fear Of Typing After...
May 20, 2015

I have been doing this for over 8 years and was on the STAR team, like that means anything, at my last job for over 6 years and never had a problem and then they got bought and laid off everyone. I have had my present job which pays only about 2/3 of what that one did for 4 months now and it has been nothing but abuse for the last month. They told me I was a star 6 weeks ago and now apparently I am dog dirt. Ah, how fleeting stardom is in this industry. They told me I did not do well on a QA ...

Not A Good Sign I Fear.
Jun 30, 2011

Today I have had a doctor tell me that CHF was all caps, spelled menisectomy, and now spelled sublingual.  They have never done this before.  Either there are newbies on my regular account or ILPs.  Either way, not good for me.  Figures.  I was actually kind of happy for the moment.  ...

Don't Let Fear Of Unknown Keep You Here. This Place Is The
Jun 07, 2013

nm ...

Finally Going To Conquer My Fear
Feb 05, 2014

of math, going to take a college course, face it and move onto my 4-year degree..I gotta get out of here!!! ...

Living In Fear Of Critical Error.
Jan 24, 2010

I've got this terror of critical errors.  I shudder every time I check my feedback, if I've left a marker (sometimes I've noticed they'll check the entire report, not just the marker.  Guess it depends on the MME).  What happens if you get a critical error?  Are you back on QA for awhile?  Do you get nasty e-mails?  Do you get canned?  40 lashes? ...

As I Fear, I Am Too Stupid To Sign Into The New Payroll
Jan 12, 2011

Any suggestions? ...

It May Be People Like Turning Worm Who Caused MQ To React And Lay Off For Fear Sm
Apr 04, 2013

of a possible class action lawsuit. If you started taking things to the Labor Board you can bet MQ will be forced to let go of people. I'm not saying MM is not to blame because I DO believe they are sending 80% of the work to India for cheap labor and to avoid excessive taxes. They have a right to do that. MM provided work to American workers to provide some with jobs, not to make a profit. It's expensive to employ American MTs thanks to the US Govt, but that's for another day.&nb ...

New To The Industry
Jan 18, 2010

Hi, I am a recent graduate of a Med. Transcript program and am unable to find work for someone with less than one year experiance.  Any suggestions? ...

MT Industry
Feb 17, 2011

As a group, we need to talk, fax, email our state representatives to explain what is going on in our industry. Give them your personal story.  We should all do this 3/1/2010 and the first of every month until something is done.  If they get enough complaints/responses, they will help us.  They will start and talk to each other and realize how many of us are being abused.  We need to have state and federal regulations to protect us from these companies. Due to&n ...

Is It Still Possible To Get A PT Job In This Industry. Nm
Nov 04, 2012

nm ...