A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT 7 TO 8 CPL WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE-IT IS AN INSULT TO ME - Tired of the system

Posted: Aug 11, 2010

I have been testing all week. Some companies will not even discuss pay until you take their tests.

Then, I waste my time taking these tests only to be offered 7 and 8 cpl. It is absolutely offensive to me to offer me that low pay. You want all of my years of experience, but only want to pay "newbie" rates.

I am completely and wholeheartedly giving up on this profession.

Might as well quit - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
Sorry, but you might as well give it up if you are not willing to take less. The economy is bad and people in all jobs are having to take pay cuts, that's just the way it is. Not trying to be snippy or anything, but factory workers, cops, firemen, etc, everybody is taking pay cuts.

I guess you either have to take it or not work. Not saying it is right, but just the way it is.

I know Nan, and that is unfortunate - Tied of the system

[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry for "yelling in caps", but I am just so fed up with this profession. I am NOT trying to "batter" it, but with the introduction of voice recognition and companies sending work overseas, it is highly disheartening.

I have given half my life to this profession, only to see things get worse. I am proactively doing something to change my situation, but it saddens me to see "us" as a profession being "phased out" to technology and low wages. I cannot compete with some Indian company paying their workers 3 cpl. Companies act like 8 cpl is "good". I'm sorry, $12-14 dollars an hour is NOT what I am worth. Would you offer an experienced surgeon $50,000 a year? Experience means NOTHING in this business.

Not just MT taking cuts - its all around

[ In Reply To ..]
It is actually not just us taking these cuts. My husband is a corporate pilot and 2 years ago the whole company had to take a 10% pay cut which meant he backed up at least 5 years in his annual salary. Finally this year they got back 5% only to lose it again to insurance premiums rising. So still he is making now what he did about 8 years ago....Most people there are just grateful they have something, including us.

I understand - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally understand being frustrated. I have been doing this for over 10 years and am in the 8 cpl rate and am just happy that I have a job and am able to pay my bills. There are many out there in my area who lost their jobs and are losing their homes. I know many in our field are going through that too, but we are not alone. Times are tough out there and, as I said, I am greatful to have a job and able to pay my bills. In my opinion, much of this is due to the fact that offshoring has taken its toll on every profession and it needs to have new rules put in place. Many think writing our representatives will not help, but whether you believe in the healthcare reform or not, it took a lot of people and a long time of complaining of no healthcare to get something started. It does take time, but we just have to keep letting them know how we feel. Just hang in there, things could be worse for all of us if we really think about it. I personally think we have gotten too "technologized" for our own good and it is taking its toll on everybody and it WILL take a turn around at some point.

8 cpl?! I wish! - mtmom

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to VR, I only make 4 cpl because it is all editing. And to make it worse, my account (Swedish Covenant Hospital - Transcend is the company I work for), is ALL ESL!! I can edit very quickly and money can be made in editing, but not for 4 cpl on an ESL dictator. I'm thinking if I am to be doing straight ESL, then I am worth more money. I'm lucky to clear $10/hour at this point. I could make more money at White Castle. Very sad.
mtmom - editing cpl
[ In Reply To ..]
Has your hospital account just gone to editing? If so, there may be hope that VR will "learn" the new doctors and get better with time. I am also on editing, same company, but get 5 cpl, so do not understand why you are getting 4. When I was interviewing with them, I suddenly realized in a panic that I had forgotten to do any calculations and did not know the minimum editing cpl I would accept-- suddenly decided to myself "4.5," and the next moment the recruiter was saying they would pay 5 cpl. Even that is a challenge to make decent money. BeyondTXT's editing commands are not all that convenient, compared to some platforms. I could really zip along on ExEditor. There may be a better company for you, so don't feel stuck in one place!

Completely agree with you, I have 25 years experience and the most (sm) - SillyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
that I have been offered recently is 0.085 CPL. However, I have Microsoft Office Home/Student on my computer and their system is not "compatible" with that and they wanted me to pay hundreds of dollars to "upgrade." Give me a break, it is cheaper for these companies to make their systems compatible with the programs that we have than vice versa. Needless to say I turned the job down because again, I refuse to pay out hundreds of dollars to be able to work for a company that cannot promise enough work up front for me to be able to make a decent living. What I mean by a decent living is just paying my mortgage each month of $737.00. Is that really too much to ask for?

Right now I am working three jobs, two part-time and one full-time just to make ends meet and I am doing it but I work all of the time. It would be nice to have just one job where I can make above minimum wage to just make ends meet. And as bad as experienced MTs have it, I have started noticing ads for newbies where the pay is at 4 CPL.

Sickening and disheartening to say the least for all of us.

I think COMPANIES need to post their line rate offers in their JOB ADS - Tired of the system

[ In Reply To ..]
Most of these "job listings" post "competitive" wages. Yeah, competitive for some poverty stricken overseas worker who they are paying 3 cpl.

It takes about an hour to take their tests. I could take them in my sleep now, and most will not tell you up front what that "competitive" rate is until after you have tested.

Save us a lot of time and your companies a lot of wasted time, POST YOUR LINE RATES ON YOUR JOB POSTINGS. I bet you cut down on applicants very quickly!

Dear Tired, some injury, maybe, but not insult. - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were once making $50-70K a year for a while, as many experienced MTs working for big-city hospitals were before the rate adjustments started, then when you doubled your income using an expander and the much more sophisticated platforms of today, as many have and all eventually will, you'd be making $100,000-140,000--not exactly market wage for clerical workers.

This is a humungous part of why line rates are adjusting, this and needing/wanting to cut transcription costs substantially, of course. Line rates are going down somewhat lower than simply that adjustment, as we all know, and we are working harder and longer to make acceptable money.

BUT, regarding the "insult":

$0.14/line x 1000 lines = $140
$0.07/line x 2000 lines = $140

The question a properly skilled applicant needs an answer to is: Will the platform and dictation assigned allow me to produce enough lines at the offered rate to reach my income goal? At some places yes, others no.

Another question for some reading this thread: How long will it take me to catch up to this reality by substantially increasing my production so I can continue to do this work?

I find your post insulting to myself and my fellow MTs. (sm) - anon2

[ In Reply To ..]
You question our ability to increase our production so that we can make now what we made five years ago and to me that is extremely insulting. I work 12 to 14 hours a day, six and seven days a week and still make nowhere close to what I made five years ago. My loss of wages is not MY fault, is it the MTSOs fault for lowering the wages, using platforms that are not MT-friendly and then not providing enough work for someone to make a decent living on. To me that is an insult and NOT an injury.

In interviews I have asked every question known to man just trying to get a good feed on what the company, platform, etc., is like but a majority of these people lie, yes LIE, to the MT to bring them into the company because there is so much pressure to get someone on an account immediately because it may be an hour out of TAT.

You presume to have the answers for MTs, presume that the things that you have listed are not already being done by the majority of the hard working MTs out there and that leaves me to presume that you indeed are NOT an MT.

Geesh Snow White, can you look into that magical mirror that you have on the wall and pull us some more advice out of it, hopefully some that is effective?

That's what the MTSOs always say: "Work faster! - Do more!" Then gripe about typos. Pehhhh.

[ In Reply To ..]
They want it both ways. To that I say, let them friggin type it themselves, then, and see how *productive* and *perfect* THEY are!

Not trying to insult, but to suggest a way. - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
My rate has gone down too and to make a good income I work intensely and end up with my back and wrists aching every day. But with it I still make decent money, close to what I ever did (I wasn't in this in the real gravy years) WITHIN a 40-hour work week. I agree, though, it shouldn't be quite this hard.

But you say you work dreadfully long hours, Anon2, and you don't say that your typing speed and production are much, much higher than they were 10 years ago with the use of search engines instead of stopping to look up things in books, sophisticated platforms that you produce reports with faster, templates, and extensive use of your own expander to dramatically increase your previous typing speed.

I'm transcribing today, not editing. I just checked my expander and it says it produced an additional 58 characters for every 50 I did. On my favorite, fastest work type the ratio is closer to 3:1, the 1 being mine. On new and horrible accounts, I may see more like 35, but that's not the usual.

Please note, that does NOT include any of the lines inserted from the templates I developed. Those are on top of more than doubling my typing speed.

Although I'm not a completely happy camper these days, either, if I worked 12 to 14 hours a day 6 or 7 days a week, I'd be making some really serious money. Not that I could, physically.

The issue is, why do you have to work those outrageous, killer hours? I'm trying to be helpful, not mean. All the sympathy in the world won't punch the point home that people working for production pay need to use whatever they can to develop their speed. The companies are not going to take care of us. We have to do it for ourselves.
You are not on editing - mtmom
[ In Reply To ..]
If I had straight typing, I'd be making killer money. Wait till your company puts you on straight VR. You may change your tune. It is an automatic 50% paycut. Very hard to make money.
Been editing for about 4 years, MTMom, - Anon.
[ In Reply To ..]
and produce good line counts for the same reasons. Most of my work, actually, is editing because I like it.

BTW, the very first time my then employer got an SR account I saw the writing on the wall and asked to be put on it. I did benefit money-wise for a while from getting good at it before all the rate decreases, but I knew they were inevitable as lots of others learned and got fast too.

I want some of what you are smoking! - 100-140K?? ROFLMAO!!

[ In Reply To ..]
Where in the world did you get those figures? Maybe in a perfect world, but that is definitely not today's rate. Take about about 100 thousand and that's more like it.

Wow! Put down the pipe!

Exactly, you can tell that this person posting is a suit and not a MT (sm) - Ismellasuit

[ In Reply To ..]
They are probably posting trying to make their conscious feel better for running a sweatshop!
They DO have an "air" (odor) about them dont they? - Hope they starve when we"re all gone. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
!
Did you ever notice? - Desperate
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure you all have, but did you ever notice that when someone speaks the truth about what has become of medical transcription (I mean the truth that comes from being employed as an MT over a number of years and experiencing the continual whittling away of their jobs, financially and otherwise), there is always someone with some whacked out philosophy and fuzzy math who immediately comes on and attacks that person, telling them that they have to "adjust" or "work harder" to double, triple or quadruple their production in the same amount of time. They're not stupid, and you can tell from their writings that they have a lot invested in MT. I agree with "ISmellASuit." Call me paranoid, but I am convinced that these MT companies have people who just troll these forums to dispute anything that is said which might upset their apple cart. Did you notice what we are according to the above poster? We are clerical workers. We are not people who have a finely tuned skill, people who know the language of medicine and can pull a coherent medical report out of the mouths of hundreds of different speakers, no matter the level of difficulty. We are clerical workers. Clerk typists. I work for a company who is run by people who have never typed a line of medical transcription in their lives. Even the account managers. And everything, everything falls on the transcriptionists. If anything is wrong in a transcribed report, i.e., drug dosages, lab values, if you spell out the number 1 instead of typing it numerically, (and on and on) right down to a wrong work type, a wrong billing number, a wrong facility, etc. and so on, the transcriptionist gets a CRITICAL ERROR (as defined by some nebulous organization) and is docked (no matter how many hands any particular dictation has gone through, from start to finish). The buck stops with the transcriptionists. And I am being scolded (to put it mildly) by people who have never transcribed a line of medical transcription in their lives. They have no clue of the skill that is required to do this or the level of difficulty. We are stupid, whiny typists. I try to think of any other profession where this could happen, where there is someone in the middle who doesn't necessarily know anything about that particular profession but by virtue of being a service owner, their cut is configured right off the top, and I can't come up with anything. I can understand the hospitals and doctors offices wanting to pay less, but it always seems that the service owners have to get their cut, so that is why we (the MTs) take it in the end, whether it is with virtual black characters, longer lines, whatever. These service owners want to stay in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed, and it's up to us to accommodate them. It's like with everything else, you have to follow the money. I agree with the poster who said we have to get our own accounts. I read in USA Today an article about baby-boomers having to work, not being able to retire, but they cannot find work. We have a very marketable skill and are perhaps more fortunate than most in that we can go out and try to find work on our own and we don't have to work for the pennies these service owners toss us. Just a thought.
You are absolutely right - every word you said echoes my own feelings. - Amen Sister/Brother!
[ In Reply To ..]
We are just a means to an end for greedy MTSOs. Once we stop working for their slave wages and get our own accounts, we can start taking the field back for American transcriptionists. There will always be a need for skilled transcriptionists and we do not have to settle for slave wages so some MTSO can keep their creature comforts. Who needs the middle man anyway? They are about useless to us. We are the ones with the skills. They just collect our money and skim off the top. Period.

Then why hasnt the cost of living adjusted downward, - along with our wages? nm

[ In Reply To ..]
?

Tired- It's true-- - "get the best for less"

[ In Reply To ..]
That struck me too, when I was required to know the composition of cerebral spinal fluid in order to get a job that pays $12 or less an hour-- when there is work!! Recently, I was slowly and painfully making my way through a testing op note dictated by an Indian doctor (rewind, repeat, rewind, repeat) when I suddenly stared at my keyboard and thought, "This must be the worst job in the world." It had never struck me so vividly. I had to get up and walk around just to clear my head and regain my focus. And this is to get a job that pays 1 cpl less than what I am getting now, but at least there will be work in my queue.

What else to do, though? When real estate went bust, the real estate agents got out. The "real estate agent type of person" can do anything, though, can't they? People skills are always transferrable. I can't see a real estate agent hanging on, surviving on selling one low-end property a month, which is the equivalent of what we are doing. But I just want to sit in a corner and practice my one job skill. Do they (MTSOs) take advantage of us that way? Take your "average US transcriptionist," career lady, mid 50s. Works alone, maybe a bit lacking in the "workforce connections" department, hasn't had exposure to other fields in a couple of decades. Where is she going to go when the cpl drops another penny? Most of us stick it out, I think, because we think there is nowhere else to go. We are like the newbies-- they are trying to break in and can't, and we are trying to break out and can't! I want to wholeheartedly give on this profession, too, but keep getting dragged back in because it's all I know how to do. The sheer physical reality of sitting in a chair, with headphones in, hands on keyboard, has me more tied up, than any drug or cigarette or overeating habit. They say-- when you quit drinking, you have to change your environment, stop hanging around your drinking buddies, develop new friends and new connections and a new mindset to encourage you. Otherwise, you will stop drinking and there will be a void, and you will fill the void by going back to drinking. I wish I had something to fill the void of transcription-- something else to physically unlock my joints, some kind of psychological "physical therapy" to get me away from this staring-at-computer posture that I've had for the last 20 years. Where do I go from transcription? Meanwhile, I start my new, 1-cpl-less job next week, and wait to see how THIS one will go. And wonder if knowing the composition of cerebral spinal fluid might help me win a Trivial Pursuit game, or be a conversation starter next time I chat with an internist.

Tired of the system - Go solo

[ In Reply To ..]
You are probably right in the way you feel, but it is what it is now and no matter how talented a person can be, there are 100's more who can do it and will do it for less. My advise, get your own accounts. I work for two women who have their own services and are very successful and they don't do hospitals, they do clinics, legal, manuscripts, etc. When you hit a wall, you have to think outside the box and try something different. I do believe there is still a demand for transcription, we haven't been sold out completely, but with the bigger services and hospitals, yes we have. Economy, somcony, I know things are bad, but these places are thriving and at our sacrifice to make a decent living. Good luck to you, we all understand your frustration, but unfortunately it is an ugly world out there in oh so many ways!

Well, you must not be impressing your employer then. I have - replaced 2 jobs this year not less than 9 cpl each

[ In Reply To ..]
One has me at just over 10 cpl.

So, obviously if you show you can do the work they are willing to pay.

You should be very careful you don't develop - rotator cuff syndrome.

[ In Reply To ..]
From patting yourself on the back so much.

Hey, the truth is the great line rates are still being offered and paid - IF you SHOW top skills. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
If you SHOW top skills... I think 1 yr of showing it - should raise me up from 3.5
[ In Reply To ..]
what more do I need to show. I get 99.8%, yes, thats right, do ALL specialties and type (edit) 300 lines per hour. I am NOT a newbie, I am a proven long-time skilled MT with over 25 years of experience. Can you direct me perhaps to someone who will pay me even 5 or 6 cpl for editing? I bet not, cuz I dont think it is out there.
Uhhh, I make 10.15 cpl transcribing and 6.09 cpl editing. - Hired in at it. Precyse Solutions.
[ In Reply To ..]
Don't tell me it isn't out there. I hired in at it.

Again, if you demonstrate skills the big guns pay.

I am at 9.75 at Transcend for transcription only.

...or raising their arm in a "Heil!" to AHDI. - Better break out the Ben-Gay. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
;p

Need to get into management or start your own company - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
It is hard for a company to pay more to someone who has more experience when they can get the same work for less. Frankly google has replaced the need for a lot of experience and knowledge, all that knowledge is out there at the fingertips of the newbies.

BUT you can use your knowledge to mentor newbies in a QA or management position or start your own company!

Just as an example, you wouldn't pay a secretary more just because she/he had a master's degree and 20 years of experience right? Even though they would no doubt do a better job, you could get someone to do an adequate job for much less money. I think it is sort of the same with MT these days.

wongo dongo - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
If a secretary has a Maters' degree and 20 years of experience, yes, she will be paid a different salary than someone who only has 1-2 years of experience with only a high school dipoloma umder their belt.

No, the secretary with the Masters will be told she is - "over-qualified". nm

[ In Reply To ..]

All of the replies to my thread should tell you that there is a HUGE revolt occurring and companies - Tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Nothing will happen ladies/gentleman if we as an organization do not accept this from MT organizations. We need to speak up. I would rather go on unemployment than to accept 7 or 8 cents a line. I would rather be a waitress, bartender, bus driver, anything else out of pure principal.

Listen up companies, you will reap what you sew eventually. Do not ask us to EDIT work that almost takes as long to do, as it would be to transcribe and then pay us 3 cpl and expect us to be "happy" because we still have a job. I am NOT happy, and as you can see, there are several other MTs on this board whom are not happy either.

I have been an MT for 15 years.... - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
and I was just told the in-house position I was interviewing for pays $11/hour, no benefits. That's $3 less per hour than I was making back in 1995 fresh out of school. Sad, infurating, and insulting. Hang in there and good luck with your job search : )

Similar Messages:

To All The MTs Out There With 20 Plus Years' Experience
Jan 11, 2010

Could you please tell me HOW you did it?  Nevermind the decreasing pay or anything like that.  I'm talking how did you do it PHYSICALLY?  I'm 10 years in, love the nature of the work, etc.  However, I feel beat up from head to toe after only 10 years and while I'd love to stick it out another 10 or 20, assuming it's still a viable option, I just don't know if I could do it.  I'm healthy, pretty fit, but my entire lower legs are constantly ac ...

5 Years Experience
Mar 28, 2013

How is a person supposed to get a job when everyone wants 5 years experience? So I have to work another three years for the place that I am working before I can get a better job? By that time MT's will be totally obsolete. I feel like quiting.   ...

I Wonder Why You Need 5+ Years' Experience For
Oct 15, 2014

only 1 year for Acute Care if apparently Acute care is more difficult?  ???? ...

15+ Years Experience And Can Not Get Employment
Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome. ...

$8.65 An Hour W/35 Years Experience
Sep 28, 2010

that's what I averaged last week; a disgrace is what it is ...

My Experience Is 3 Years Old, How Do I Get Back In?
Jan 13, 2011

I worked in transcription for 20+ years. My last job was for 16 years, acute care and lots of specialty experience, ESL, radiology. But, I have not worked for 3 years. I can't seem to get a bite. I want to be a full time employee. I have an explanation for my hiatus on my resume. Also, does it detract because I have a Bachelor's degree listed on my resume? THANKS GUYS ...

Looking For Work, Over 7 Years Experience
Sep 02, 2014

I have had less volume at work recently at the place I have been working for over the past 4 years.  Im ready to move on but I want to find the right place for me.  Ive done some hospital and acute care work in the past and didn't care for it.  For the last 4 years Ive done clinic work, mostly ortho, and would like to find a place that will put me on clinic accounts only.  I need steady work and at least .08 a line.  Does anyone have any suggestions of companies the ...

Just Failed A Test (25 Plus Years Experience)
Jun 22, 2010

I must be getting too old for this and losing grey cells.  Totally ashamed. I thought the testing was difficult, but.... Either retirement or change of career may be in store for me. ...

Offered 8 Cpl At SoftScript For 20 Years Experience.
Jan 05, 2011

Has anyone said that was not enough and have them counter offer with more?  I don't plan on working for SS (I saw way too many complaints on the other board about them), but what about future offers which I suspect will not be any higher?  I saw on the resume board what I consider way too many willing to work for 7 cpl with plenty of experience.  Is it likely they will pay more when others are willing to work for so much less?  And many of these 7 cpl were IC.  Al ...

How Long Should An MT With 10+ Years Experience Expect To Be On
Apr 26, 2011

Sometimes I wonder with companies who pay an MT less while they are on full QA, if they don't simply keep that MT on QA for as long as possible to avoid paying the higher rate.  Has anyone ever pressed the QA issue? ...

TTD - Recent Info...not Somebody's Bad Experience Over 2 Years Ago
May 28, 2012

I find it frustrating that some MTs are completely unhappy with this company and yet you find threads of MTs who are happy. ?? How can it be both ways.    I would like to hear from someone who is HAPPY with transcription doctors.  Not smart off comments from people who are just feeding off the threads of others.  Just because a hiring process is easy, does not mean it is a bad company.  As far as the 6 weeks to get the first check...that is in the initial paperwork we received, so that&# ...

6 Years Experience, But No Formal Training -HELP
Dec 07, 2012

Hi all, I have been doing MT on a contingent basis for the last 6 years for my mom (who used to run her own I/C company). For the past 3 years I've been a CNA and this past August had to choose between knee surgery to continue being a CNA or to find another line of work, I have 2 little girls, so I chose the later.  The problem I'm running into is it seems to be a requirement to have a degree or cert in MT/ME to find ANY thing in this field! Does anyone know of a company that doe ...

Failed MQ Test? 15 Years Experience? Anyone Else Have Trouble?
Jul 18, 2010

Anyone ever failed the Medquist Test. Do they let you see results?   I thought I did great, however, evidently not? I have 15 years experience.     ...

Have Satellite Internet. DO You Know Anyone Who Will Hire Me With 20+ Years Experience?
Jan 31, 2012

I moved to the country and now I have to use Satellite internet.  Are there any companies that will hire you with satellite internet?  ...

Years Of Experience Transcribing Psych Reports
Jul 19, 2012

Is there anyone here who can tell me for certain why so many companies want MTs to have 3-5 years experience for psych transcribing? I've transcribed many psych reports and they are not that difficult. Is there more involved when it is strictly psych doctors? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.  ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

Is InScribe LLC, Kentucky Changing; Anyone Recently Apply Or Been Hired Who Has Years Of Experience;
May 11, 2011

Okay, I know InScribe LLC (Kentucky) has been on the Boards multiple times (at least monthly, if not weekly, it seems), but I just noticed they have a “Premium” ad at the top of the Job Seeker’s Board.  I guess these “Featured Listings” are not free, as the other listings are.  If I remember correctly, most of the posts on the Boards have been by Newbies, because InScribe evidently is one of the few MTSOs that hire new graduates.  However, it appear ...

Adds Insult To Injury
Dec 11, 2012

To have the percentage of stuff that goes to QA be a factor in the bonus.  They are just encouraging people to send through stuff that truly is not decipherable (even numbers).  Plus, how fair is it when you have one truly unavoidable blank in a 19-minute report and ALL those lines get counted as having been sent to QA?  Motivating people to send through incorrect reports just could put me over the edge as far as leaving. ...

MDI/Transcend Adds Insult To Injury
Nov 24, 2009

when they cut your pay and then ask you to absorb the printing and mailing costs of the ridiculous "new hire documents" for people who were innocently going along, doing their daily work, when out of the blue they were told of being merged into another company.  Now really, is any of this OUR fault??  Like somebody said before, we are the faithful backbone of MDI and now we are being treated like scum off the street.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why they need us to fill ...

Latest Transcend/Nuance Insult
Dec 04, 2012

I am at about the last straw with this company.  Just a few minutes ago I got an e-mail from TSM about the "gym membership reimbursement" program.  It was to remind us "full-timers" to get our attendance records in to HR so that we can get reimbursement. Now, I have never even heard of this program.  I was a full-timer until earlier this year when I got knocked down to part-time because of their ridiculous $900 requirement, which they made impossible to reach with their %#@& ...

While Drawing UE And You Refuse A Job (sm)
Sep 24, 2010

....maybe the pay was too low, etc, etc.  If you answer the weekly question on UE - did you refuse work this week and you answer yes, what can they do?  Lower your UE, stop it altogether?  ...

I Absolutely Refuse
May 09, 2015

I absolutely Refuse to do any more VR for less than what straight typing pays. Find another Sucker to fix your jacked up reports. This is not worth my time, I am an Educated Professional.  Do not take advantage of me, I will Not sell myself short! Note to transcription companies:  Speech recognition is Not ready for medical or legal reports. It is more suited for personal or small business use at this point. Continue to push this VR crap and you will lose the good scribes.  Wha ...

The Self Righteous MTs Who Refuse To Work For Less
Jan 19, 2010

someone will take it - beats 0.00 Posted: Jan 17th, 2010 - 2:17 am In Reply to: Just saw a new ad ... .07 cpl, without spaces, IC, no benefits and want (sm) - Just sayin ....Why shouldn't they bid low? There is always someone who will work for a few bits less than the self-righteous I'm-too-good-for-thatters.  http://forum.mtstars.com/184840.html Bringing this up from below, because I don't understand it.  In this post, the poster mentioned the self righteous I'm ...

Refuse To Work Today
Dec 25, 2012

The Indians do not work on their holidays because it is against their religion.  Well, working on Christmas is against mine, so I'm not working. ...

Oracle / OTI Pay Range? (I Refuse To Test First Without Knowing This)
Oct 05, 2010

Oracle does not reply to emails with questions.  They evidently only want you to fill in the blanks at their website. I refuse to spend my valuable time testing only to find out they start you at 7 cpl or some other ridiculous rate.  Can anyone tell me what they pay for an experienced IC MT?  0.09? 0.10? ...

They Wont Fire You If You Refuse To Change Shifts
Sep 11, 2013

That they will consider that you RESIGNED if you refuse to change. They are covering their slimy butts six ways to Sunday. ...

30% Nuance Clients Refuse Offshore Transcription
May 17, 2015

and the other 70% are in for a very rude awakening. ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

Anyone Else Accept A Job From Spheris Lately?
Mar 16, 2010

I know they are going through a transition, but I accepted--I need a job. I just can't pass up their training program. As far as any upcoming changes, I will deal with it as it comes. ...