A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

15+ years experience and can not get employment - ldskunz

Posted: Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome.

So sorry for your situation...sm - blondie

[ In Reply To ..]
What type of transcription did you do? Like acute care, clinic, a certain specialty, etc?
I would say keep testing. Another thing, a lot of the companies go by the AAMT BOS. So, you need to study up on that before you take tests. Good luck.

no job hits - ldkunz

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much for your answer. I have done it all. Acute care; basic four, clinic, specialities including orthopedics, cardiology, etc. My last position was in radiology. I will study my AAMT Guidelines before taking another test. Again, thanks for your reply.

A radiology position just posted on the job board. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
X
Thnx - ldkunz
[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your help.

Fired because you had an injury that requires PT for - a while in order to heal? Doesnt sound LEGAL.

[ In Reply To ..]
May or may not fall under the Americans With Disabilities Act. It may only be temporary, but you ARE currently disabled and need PT for it. And it's not like you can't still work - you CAN. You just need some flexibility in your schedule until you complete your PT. Usually companies are REQUIRED BY LAW to make certain reasonable accomodations for people who have a disability, but can still work. Adjusting your schedule should be so easy for them, it's a no-brainer.

I would ALSO contact your STATE LABOR BOARD.

Thnx - ldkunz

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for your input. I did try that avenue;however, I do not fall into the category of "disabled", as I can still work.

What about other things, like regular Dr. appts? Or - your power going out? S--t happens. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't those people get that? Sooner or later, EVERYONE needs a little leeway once in a while. If you can still work, I don't see a legal reason why they can fire you (or would even WANT to). As soon as your PT is complete, you're back on your regular schedule, right? I don't see how any rational manager can believe that sacking a trained, productive MT just for getting injured and requiring medical care, can justify the cost of having to advertise for, hire, and train a new employee.
It happens. Had it happen to me as well with another company. - Another OP situation
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are not that "robot" punching out the lines, they can and will do that. Bottom line = income in their pockets. This shows how ungreat a company is when not willing to work with you. My situation was very similar to OPs, 15+ years exp., out the door when medical issues arose. Sh*t happens but they don't care!!!

fired for disability - tired MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Firing you for a disability happens all the time. My son, age 32, had to have a hip replacement and was off almost a year from Whirlpool due to complications of the procedure. When he was ready to return to work he worked about 3 or 4 months and then they fired him because he said he was not productive enough. When he first went back to work, they gave him the most physically demanding job in the plant, not suitable for people with hip replacements but there were many other line jobs that he could have worked. They did not want him because he was using too much insurance.

No, do not quit, with your experience you will find a job! nm - keep applying!

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Idskunz - Sorry for you. - Ruthless Business

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you applied for unemployment. Do so immediately, as there is a 1 week waiting period. It will be about half of what you made. You can apply online too. I got it and took my time, 6 weeks, to find the job I wanted but I have to tell you, it took about 25 applications and lots of testing.

If you are all healed, you might try the state jobs on your state's website as mentioned in above post, getting out of this business.

I hope all goes well for you. I am sure you were dedicated and did not deserve this.

MT - Pat

[ In Reply To ..]
I am looking for experienced MT's if you want to contact me.

Thanks.

Similar Messages:

To All The MTs Out There With 20 Plus Years' Experience
Jan 11, 2010

Could you please tell me HOW you did it?  Nevermind the decreasing pay or anything like that.  I'm talking how did you do it PHYSICALLY?  I'm 10 years in, love the nature of the work, etc.  However, I feel beat up from head to toe after only 10 years and while I'd love to stick it out another 10 or 20, assuming it's still a viable option, I just don't know if I could do it.  I'm healthy, pretty fit, but my entire lower legs are constantly ac ...

5 Years Experience
Mar 28, 2013

How is a person supposed to get a job when everyone wants 5 years experience? So I have to work another three years for the place that I am working before I can get a better job? By that time MT's will be totally obsolete. I feel like quiting.   ...

I Wonder Why You Need 5+ Years' Experience For
Oct 15, 2014

only 1 year for Acute Care if apparently Acute care is more difficult?  ???? ...

$8.65 An Hour W/35 Years Experience
Sep 28, 2010

that's what I averaged last week; a disgrace is what it is ...

My Experience Is 3 Years Old, How Do I Get Back In?
Jan 13, 2011

I worked in transcription for 20+ years. My last job was for 16 years, acute care and lots of specialty experience, ESL, radiology. But, I have not worked for 3 years. I can't seem to get a bite. I want to be a full time employee. I have an explanation for my hiatus on my resume. Also, does it detract because I have a Bachelor's degree listed on my resume? THANKS GUYS ...

Looking For Work, Over 7 Years Experience
Sep 02, 2014

I have had less volume at work recently at the place I have been working for over the past 4 years.  Im ready to move on but I want to find the right place for me.  Ive done some hospital and acute care work in the past and didn't care for it.  For the last 4 years Ive done clinic work, mostly ortho, and would like to find a place that will put me on clinic accounts only.  I need steady work and at least .08 a line.  Does anyone have any suggestions of companies the ...

Just Failed A Test (25 Plus Years Experience)
Jun 22, 2010

I must be getting too old for this and losing grey cells.  Totally ashamed. I thought the testing was difficult, but.... Either retirement or change of career may be in store for me. ...

Offered 8 Cpl At SoftScript For 20 Years Experience.
Jan 05, 2011

Has anyone said that was not enough and have them counter offer with more?  I don't plan on working for SS (I saw way too many complaints on the other board about them), but what about future offers which I suspect will not be any higher?  I saw on the resume board what I consider way too many willing to work for 7 cpl with plenty of experience.  Is it likely they will pay more when others are willing to work for so much less?  And many of these 7 cpl were IC.  Al ...

How Long Should An MT With 10+ Years Experience Expect To Be On
Apr 26, 2011

Sometimes I wonder with companies who pay an MT less while they are on full QA, if they don't simply keep that MT on QA for as long as possible to avoid paying the higher rate.  Has anyone ever pressed the QA issue? ...

TTD - Recent Info...not Somebody's Bad Experience Over 2 Years Ago
May 28, 2012

I find it frustrating that some MTs are completely unhappy with this company and yet you find threads of MTs who are happy. ?? How can it be both ways.    I would like to hear from someone who is HAPPY with transcription doctors.  Not smart off comments from people who are just feeding off the threads of others.  Just because a hiring process is easy, does not mean it is a bad company.  As far as the 6 weeks to get the first check...that is in the initial paperwork we received, so that&# ...

6 Years Experience, But No Formal Training -HELP
Dec 07, 2012

Hi all, I have been doing MT on a contingent basis for the last 6 years for my mom (who used to run her own I/C company). For the past 3 years I've been a CNA and this past August had to choose between knee surgery to continue being a CNA or to find another line of work, I have 2 little girls, so I chose the later.  The problem I'm running into is it seems to be a requirement to have a degree or cert in MT/ME to find ANY thing in this field! Does anyone know of a company that doe ...

Failed MQ Test? 15 Years Experience? Anyone Else Have Trouble?
Jul 18, 2010

Anyone ever failed the Medquist Test. Do they let you see results?   I thought I did great, however, evidently not? I have 15 years experience.     ...

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT 7 TO 8 CPL WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE-IT IS AN INSULT TO ME
Aug 11, 2010

I have been testing all week. Some companies will not even discuss pay until you take their tests. Then, I waste my time taking these tests only to be offered 7 and 8 cpl. It is absolutely offensive to me to offer me that low pay. You want all of my years of experience, but only want to pay "newbie" rates. I am completely and wholeheartedly giving up on this profession. ...

Have Satellite Internet. DO You Know Anyone Who Will Hire Me With 20+ Years Experience?
Jan 31, 2012

I moved to the country and now I have to use Satellite internet.  Are there any companies that will hire you with satellite internet?  ...

Years Of Experience Transcribing Psych Reports
Jul 19, 2012

Is there anyone here who can tell me for certain why so many companies want MTs to have 3-5 years experience for psych transcribing? I've transcribed many psych reports and they are not that difficult. Is there more involved when it is strictly psych doctors? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.  ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

Is InScribe LLC, Kentucky Changing; Anyone Recently Apply Or Been Hired Who Has Years Of Experience;
May 11, 2011

Okay, I know InScribe LLC (Kentucky) has been on the Boards multiple times (at least monthly, if not weekly, it seems), but I just noticed they have a “Premium” ad at the top of the Job Seeker’s Board.  I guess these “Featured Listings” are not free, as the other listings are.  If I remember correctly, most of the posts on the Boards have been by Newbies, because InScribe evidently is one of the few MTSOs that hire new graduates.  However, it appear ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...

At-will Employment
Aug 16, 2011

If your employment with an MTSO is "at will," doesn't that apply to BOTH you and them? The legal meaning of "at-will employment" is as follows: "A common-law rule that an employment contract of indefinite duration can be terminated by either the employer or the employee at any time for any reason; also known as terminable at will." So, given this legal rule, why are we deemed ineligible for rehire when we leave an MTSO without what they perceive as fair notice? ...

Need Employment Help PLEASE
Nov 18, 2011

I need some help.  I recently became a single mom....and then lost my previous job due to taking some time off to gain custody of my niece due to an abuse situation she was in.  So now I am a single mom of 2 children.  After 2 months I finally found a job but not doing transcription.  I am not making it financially with what I am doing now, especially adding the cost of gas driving 30 minutes each way back and forth to work.  SOOOO.....I am in desperate need of some help ...

PRN Employment
Apr 15, 2012

Are there any "reputable" companies offering prn transcription opportunities any more?  I am finding myself with times where my workflow is slow and would love to have a backup, but I also dont want to commit to more than I can handle.  Would appreciate some suggestion/feedback.    ...

Looking For Employment
Jun 24, 2014

Hello, I am currently looking for employment in either In-House transcription near Spring Hill, Florida or employment with a company that will provide the computer and equipment needed. Any information is appreciated. Thank you, Kathy ...

Employment Status Changes
Dec 06, 2009

For anyone who has changed from full-time to part-time status, have you still been able to get time off when needed, and what exactly is meant by flexible part time (flexible for whom)?  With all the recent changes, I am finding it necessary to begin heading in another direction. ...

Considering Employment With Medquist
Oct 05, 2010

I took a test for Medquist three months ago and was told I didni't pass, even when I know I had to have.  I got a call this afternoon from someone in HR about wanting me to please take the test again.  Is this company worth working for?   I've looked online and some people are posting that they are only making $7-9 an hour?  Any help with this would be sincerely appreciated.  Thank you! ...

Considering Employment With Amphion
Jan 05, 2011

I am considering employment with Amphion.  I've heard it's a great company to work for. Does anyone have any feedback regarding Amphion that they'd be willing to share? Thanks - Joyce ...

Healthcare Employment
Jan 16, 2011

Has anyone else answered ads for them.  You do a really EASY test. They offer to train you for free..  then send you emails... basically to schedule a job interview.  You text them.  They send you this agreement, which says that in order to work for them you need to plunk out $450 to buy their software.. This does not quite seem on the level to me.. I have been working in this industry going on 20 years.  I work in house right now..  but job situation is precariou ...

Trying To Gain Employment
Aug 17, 2011

I graduated from Kaplan University last July and I have still not been able to find employment in medical transcription. I have even tried to get my foot in the door as far as working as a medical receptionist, secretary and in medical records to no avail. Is there any advice that you seasoned MTs can give me? Any and all advice would be greately appreciated.   Thanks, Keasha :) ...