A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Offered 8 cpl at SoftScript for 20 years experience. - Sally

Posted: Jan 05, 2011

Has anyone said that was not enough and have them counter offer with more?  I don't plan on working for SS (I saw way too many complaints on the other board about them), but what about future offers which I suspect will not be any higher? 

I saw on the resume board what I consider way too many willing to work for 7 cpl with plenty of experience.  Is it likely they will pay more when others are willing to work for so much less?  And many of these 7 cpl were IC. 

All opinions welcome. 

Nope, not likely. - Go ahead and turn down 8 cpl

[ In Reply To ..]
They have scores of people sitting there salivating at the chance to work for 8 cpl.

Same with 7 cpl.

Good luck holding out for the dime.

I'm holding out, and for a lot more than a dime! - If Im going to go hungry, I might as well -

[ In Reply To ..]
do so while still having a shred of respect for myself and my hard-earned skills. I refuse to be a transcription-ho.

Sure are - mt27

[ In Reply To ..]
I am one of those willing to jump at 8 cpl for straight transcription, it sure beats 4-5 on VR with the VR systems as bad as they are, I have 25+ years experience and used to make much more but again, 8 cpl is better than 4-5 on VR.

What kind of experience? - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
And what kind of transcription would you be doing for them? At my company, line rate is determined by whether you are doing op notes (highest cpl), consults and H&P's (middle cpl) or clinic notes (lowest cpl). And 20 years experience can mean anything - was it doing acute care/heavy ESL, or was it doing single specialty clinic notes? They're two different animals and it would be justifiable to compensate differently. Just saying 20 years doesn't tell the whole story.

I have 6 years heavy acute care experience and the lowest I would consider taking is 9 cpl for acute care as an employee, and then only if there were decent production incentives and no heavy ESL.

LK - so heavy of ESL that I sometimes don't even - Sally

[ In Reply To ..]
get an American dictator in a day. And basic 4 all those years with most of it being on OPs. And for big hospitals.

I want to be realistic in asking for more if I can get more. If not, I will accept the 8 and keep my mouth shut. If I can make more, I want more.

As far as 7 cpl, would not even consider.

Wow - would like to think you could get more. - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
You may not be able to get it with that particular company, but I should think you could get more than 8 cpl for acute care with that kind of background. Personally I would hold out for more, but I guess that depends on whether you can afford to wait and keep looking. Companies think they can just keep decreasing wages; at some point they won't get decent employees for that kind of crap money.

Offers like that are why I'm no longer looking for a - job with a national. Ideally, I want - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
to find another inhouse hospital job, and I've been toughing it out at my current MTSO while I look for such a job, even though the pickins are pretty slim in northern CA. If all else fails, I might work for an MTSO again, but only a small one that does local work. No more ripoff nationals for me.

Doesn't matter if they offer 20 cpl if you only do 2 reports a day. nm - JMO

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Unfortunately - memt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I have over 30 years experience and get offered 8 and below, was told that one company paid everyone the same, regardless of experience. Two different companies offered me a position recently and when I would not accept 8 cpl, they never called again, no counteroffer, nothing. This bothers me because my experience used to be worth something, I feel like I have worked hard for 30 years to gain the knowledge I have and now it is worthless to any major company.

We can thank VR/ASR for this. - anonMT

[ In Reply To ..]
ASR pays so horribly that MTs are desperate to escape and will work for 7-8 cpl straight transcription just to survive.

It's the pay you seem to mean, not ASR itself. - VERY important (and positive) difference.

[ In Reply To ..]
After all pay can be adjusted, but ASR's not going away. (Resolution for new year: Sop resenting gravity.)

I am pulling in 12, 13, and 15 cpl - No Middle Man

[ In Reply To ..]
Working IC directly for three different practices.

Yes, you can get more than 7 and 8, but not from any "MTSO."

That is wonderful if you work in an area where there are (sm) - Middle Man Needed

[ In Reply To ..]
doctor's offices and hospitals close to you. Unfortunately I live in a very rural area, the closest doctor's office or hospital is over an hour away so that makes obtaining my own accounts extremely difficult.

These jobs will only be possible for another 3-4 years - IAMT

[ In Reply To ..]
as the physicians will all be required to go to electronic records if these are tape accounts. My physicians on tape accounts have already informed me they are looking into buying their software and have offered me the choice of coming to their office to do the transcribing when that happens though.

You can absolutely be EMR compliant if still dictating on tapes or digitally. - CaliDeb nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Confusion about electronic records - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
A differentiation needs to be made between electronic records and voice recognition. The electronic record needs dictation/transcription, the difference is that there are no hard copies of anything. This does not remove transcription from the picture. From what I have seen of VR, editors are needed. Not many physicians have, or want to take the time to edit their own dictation.

What technique? Call-in dictation? Or you pick up tapes? - Thanks. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

My accounts are not all local - No Middle Man

[ In Reply To ..]
One is 3000 miles away on the opposite coast, one is the next state over from mine, and one is local.

They are all digital voice files, utilizing email and FTP.

No tapes, no printing, no pickup/delivery.

And to the person who said EMR will cut out these jobs: Not necessarily. "Having to" go to EMR does not mean doctors will stop dictating altogether. There are many who will do the minimum required to not get dinged by Medicare but still do their letters and comprehensive reports the old-fashioned way. Two of my doctors have already said that is their plan.

I am not an ostrich, though... I do have my own backup plan.
care to share your backup plan - me2
[ In Reply To ..]
you sound like you don't realize how lucky you are, is that true, or are you thankful for these accounts? are you willing to say how you were able to obtain accounts from 3000 miles away still making 13 cents a line?

I made 12 cents a line for 7 years, and 2 years ago that was abruptly dropped when MTSO took over, now my income is down 60%. yes, 60 percent. less work... less money per line. it's tough, you are lucky, be thankful. I'd give anything to work for that amount of money again...

I have over 30 years of well-rounded experience - myMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I currently work for 3 companies. I'm paid 9 cpl for all 3. Two of those positions are IC and one is employee. I've run my own business and know this business inside and out, but all those negotiating skills were met with "that's as good as it gets."

I did get a higher offer but frankly it was harder work than any of the work I do now and IMO the 2 cpl didn't make up for the wasted time having to deal with crud.

(BTW- SS offered me 8, too but I said no.)

It's going to depend on how badly you need to work at this point in time. I saw below someone touting higher rates with no middle man and that's true, in some areas you can charge more, but there's usually a bunch of issues that come with those rates, too. At this point in *my* game, I just want to type and get paid with the least amount of thinking on my part. I'm way past the days of loving what I might learn :)

Similar Messages:

Wow! Transcend Offered On 8.5 Cpl For Heavy ESL Acute Care With 30 Years Exp.
Oct 28, 2009

nm ...

Offered Job At Softscript
Jun 28, 2010

offered job at Softscript; anyone familiar with this company? ...

Offered A Position With SoftScript
Sep 27, 2012

Just got offered a position with SoftScript.   Any advice?  I have to decide by tomorrow.     ...

SoftScript - Tested And Interviewed, Offered Job
Nov 15, 2012

Tested and interviewed, offered job.  No PTO until 2 years, then 1 week, then 2 weeks after 4 years?  Nothing is perfect, but that seems hairy.  Anyone work there who wants to comment?  Can you take a vacation with no pay every once in a while?  Any other comments from someone who works there? ...

To All The MTs Out There With 20 Plus Years' Experience
Jan 11, 2010

Could you please tell me HOW you did it?  Nevermind the decreasing pay or anything like that.  I'm talking how did you do it PHYSICALLY?  I'm 10 years in, love the nature of the work, etc.  However, I feel beat up from head to toe after only 10 years and while I'd love to stick it out another 10 or 20, assuming it's still a viable option, I just don't know if I could do it.  I'm healthy, pretty fit, but my entire lower legs are constantly ac ...

5 Years Experience
Mar 28, 2013

How is a person supposed to get a job when everyone wants 5 years experience? So I have to work another three years for the place that I am working before I can get a better job? By that time MT's will be totally obsolete. I feel like quiting.   ...

I Wonder Why You Need 5+ Years' Experience For
Oct 15, 2014

only 1 year for Acute Care if apparently Acute care is more difficult?  ???? ...

15+ Years Experience And Can Not Get Employment
Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome. ...

$8.65 An Hour W/35 Years Experience
Sep 28, 2010

that's what I averaged last week; a disgrace is what it is ...

My Experience Is 3 Years Old, How Do I Get Back In?
Jan 13, 2011

I worked in transcription for 20+ years. My last job was for 16 years, acute care and lots of specialty experience, ESL, radiology. But, I have not worked for 3 years. I can't seem to get a bite. I want to be a full time employee. I have an explanation for my hiatus on my resume. Also, does it detract because I have a Bachelor's degree listed on my resume? THANKS GUYS ...

Looking For Work, Over 7 Years Experience
Sep 02, 2014

I have had less volume at work recently at the place I have been working for over the past 4 years.  Im ready to move on but I want to find the right place for me.  Ive done some hospital and acute care work in the past and didn't care for it.  For the last 4 years Ive done clinic work, mostly ortho, and would like to find a place that will put me on clinic accounts only.  I need steady work and at least .08 a line.  Does anyone have any suggestions of companies the ...

Just Failed A Test (25 Plus Years Experience)
Jun 22, 2010

I must be getting too old for this and losing grey cells.  Totally ashamed. I thought the testing was difficult, but.... Either retirement or change of career may be in store for me. ...

How Long Should An MT With 10+ Years Experience Expect To Be On
Apr 26, 2011

Sometimes I wonder with companies who pay an MT less while they are on full QA, if they don't simply keep that MT on QA for as long as possible to avoid paying the higher rate.  Has anyone ever pressed the QA issue? ...

TTD - Recent Info...not Somebody's Bad Experience Over 2 Years Ago
May 28, 2012

I find it frustrating that some MTs are completely unhappy with this company and yet you find threads of MTs who are happy. ?? How can it be both ways.    I would like to hear from someone who is HAPPY with transcription doctors.  Not smart off comments from people who are just feeding off the threads of others.  Just because a hiring process is easy, does not mean it is a bad company.  As far as the 6 weeks to get the first check...that is in the initial paperwork we received, so that&# ...

6 Years Experience, But No Formal Training -HELP
Dec 07, 2012

Hi all, I have been doing MT on a contingent basis for the last 6 years for my mom (who used to run her own I/C company). For the past 3 years I've been a CNA and this past August had to choose between knee surgery to continue being a CNA or to find another line of work, I have 2 little girls, so I chose the later.  The problem I'm running into is it seems to be a requirement to have a degree or cert in MT/ME to find ANY thing in this field! Does anyone know of a company that doe ...

Failed MQ Test? 15 Years Experience? Anyone Else Have Trouble?
Jul 18, 2010

Anyone ever failed the Medquist Test. Do they let you see results?   I thought I did great, however, evidently not? I have 15 years experience.     ...

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT 7 TO 8 CPL WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE-IT IS AN INSULT TO ME
Aug 11, 2010

I have been testing all week. Some companies will not even discuss pay until you take their tests. Then, I waste my time taking these tests only to be offered 7 and 8 cpl. It is absolutely offensive to me to offer me that low pay. You want all of my years of experience, but only want to pay "newbie" rates. I am completely and wholeheartedly giving up on this profession. ...

Have Satellite Internet. DO You Know Anyone Who Will Hire Me With 20+ Years Experience?
Jan 31, 2012

I moved to the country and now I have to use Satellite internet.  Are there any companies that will hire you with satellite internet?  ...

Years Of Experience Transcribing Psych Reports
Jul 19, 2012

Is there anyone here who can tell me for certain why so many companies want MTs to have 3-5 years experience for psych transcribing? I've transcribed many psych reports and they are not that difficult. Is there more involved when it is strictly psych doctors? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.  ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

Is InScribe LLC, Kentucky Changing; Anyone Recently Apply Or Been Hired Who Has Years Of Experience;
May 11, 2011

Okay, I know InScribe LLC (Kentucky) has been on the Boards multiple times (at least monthly, if not weekly, it seems), but I just noticed they have a “Premium” ad at the top of the Job Seeker’s Board.  I guess these “Featured Listings” are not free, as the other listings are.  If I remember correctly, most of the posts on the Boards have been by Newbies, because InScribe evidently is one of the few MTSOs that hire new graduates.  However, it appear ...

Softscript - Any Experience
Aug 03, 2011

Does anyone have any experience working for SoftScript?  I see in their ad that they don't send work overseas, which is very important to me.   Are they a good company to work for?   Do they have steady work, on time pay, good line rates, and, most importantly, treat their MTs well?   I am considering applying with them and would like to get some honest feedback from anyone who has or is currently working for them.  I want to know the good and the bad!  I also want to know if they hav ...

SoftScript: My Not So Good Experience
Dec 05, 2010

So I was hired by SoftScript 2 wks ago and completed training which was not bad. Was put on 2 clinic accts and had work for 2 days and no work since! Emails from company saying volume is low, have patience, yada yada. THEN I see that they are posting ads on mtjobs.com for more MTs! Flip me out! Not enough work for the MTs they have yet continue to hire more! I believe they are hiring just to cover for the holidays, which really is Nasty and Underhanded. My emails asking them what is going o ...

SoftScript - Positive Experience So Far
Dec 20, 2010

With all the negative posts on here, I'd like to add a positive post.  I was recently hired by SoftScript, starting training this week, and so far I am really impressed.  I had read posts on here that caused me a great deal of concern over my decision, but so far so good.  They have been on top of their game as far as the recruitment process.  Everything I was told would happen did happen, and very quickly and professionally.  Everything setup and ready to go ...

Softscript Was The Worst Experience Of My Life
Dec 10, 2010

Softscript was the worst experience of my life.  Their software sucks - just about all applications within their program are slow, slow, slow - couldn't get any lines.  Go figure.  Do not waste your time with this company.  ...

Current Experience Working For Softscript
Jul 10, 2012

Anyone out there have current experience working for Softscript? Are they good, bad, or indifferent? ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...

New Graduate - Experience In Transcription Is Experience
Nov 11, 2009

I am a new graduate and need to find a job! I am also new to this site. I got the site info from a friend that has been doing transcription work for many years. She has given me some leads, but as of now, nothing! It appears that most of these companies wnat 2 or more years experience. Does anyone know how I can start and get some experience? I suppose in anything and not just medical. Experience in transcription is experience, right? ...