A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Just failed a test (25 plus years experience) - nn

Posted: Jun 22, 2010

I must be getting too old for this and losing grey cells.  Totally ashamed. I thought the testing was difficult, but....

Either retirement or change of career may be in store for me.

WOW, what company? - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Hey, don't feel bad. I have 17+ and have failed a few myself - Sameboat

[ In Reply To ..]
Do not feel bad. At first, I beat myself up but then realized that they were just looking for something particular and I was not it. I finally got to this point because I would pass two tests in a week and then fail one. I just could not understand that. A lot of these were on that MTTest site. It was pretty much the same testing, yet I would pass one with flying colors and the next I failed before I even got to the transcription portion. Go figure!!!

You are so right. MTTEST website. Exact same thing happened to me - and I thought I did good

[ In Reply To ..]
30 plus years, and up-to-date on everything.

I think employers have a choice about whether to grade the test themselves - Across The Board

[ In Reply To ..]
They can just let the test system automatically grade it or, if they want to grade tougher or easier or just in a different way, they can do it themselves. I don't remember where I heard that, but it makes sense.

Test - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
You shouldn't be ashamed. I failed a test for a company that I worked for previously lol, then took it again months later, was contacted by the recruiter saying I did very well and to forward my resume to them. Well, I never heard anything else from them. I have 20 years experience. With so many people looking for at home MT jobs, I think you just have to get lucky sometimes to even get a job.

I have several friends who have been getting more than 1 offer recently - Keep trying

[ In Reply To ..]
Recently I've been seeing people get more job offers than they had been after the economy went down. Things are definitely better. Keep trying!

I got 6 offers when I did my search - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I did about 6 tests, and put in another 10 resumes/applications, and within 2 weeks I had 6 offers from various companies. There are jobs to be had. I think the below poster is right, sometimes people thing they are good, but when held to the same standards as the rest of the MT world, maybe their 20 years with that one doctor doesn't quite cut it. I was up against an MT with 30 years experience when I intereviewed for my first MT job at a clinic. They hired her, naturally, I had no experience, and hired me as a tech aid instead. Not 2 weeks later she showed everyone that number of years doesn't mean anything, she couldn't do any of the work, and refused ot learn or listen to instructions. I'm glad I took the tech aid position because they gave me the transcription position when they fired her. The trainer told me she never would have guessed considering how 'good' her resume had looked.

This is definately not towards the OP or anyone else specifically, just one MT's experience and observation. Everyone should just keep testing, keep trying, keep networking. The jobs are out there.
This happens more often than you can imagine! - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen this happen over and over again. Applicants all apply for a job and the most experienced one is hired. Then after a few days or weeks, it's obvious that it was 25 years of very poor experience. The boss has to go back to those applicants she rejected and hire one of the less experienced ones who can actually transcribe. Don't be intimidated by the years of experience someone has. It isn't always a good thing. Sometimes it is, but not always. Just like anything else, it varies.
Just failed tests? - liann
[ In Reply To ..]
I failed tests too? 25 years, 5 points. Guess they need people who are perfect.

failed test - linann

[ In Reply To ..]
I guess there are so many looking for work, they can be picky. I think it is luck myself. They know they can send work overseas and get a lot cheaper too!!!

Don't let the test define your skills. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
You know if you are a good MT or not. Don't be so hard on yourself. I understand the feelings; been there. I have "failed" a test after having 30 yr experience. But with the differences in the way companies do QA, there's just no telling what, if anything, you didn't pass the muster on. And also sometims I suspect that with a flooded job market, they'd probably rather hire more inexperienced people they can pay less, so saying you failed clears the way, not to mention the Obama incentives for new hires.

I disagree that people know if they are good MTs or not - Skeptical About That

[ In Reply To ..]
From what I've been seeing, there are MTs that have been doing really bad work for years and getting away with it. They only have had job experience with a limited number of employers and are convinced they are good MTs. I've seen the work. They are mistaken. All of us are the exceptions though. LOL.

okay, you're right; I withdraw that part of my statement. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
but still say a test, especially not knowing all the parameters, should not define the person's skills.
Interesting Point. How do they know who to hire then? - was Skeptical About That
[ In Reply To ..]
They have to have some way to determine who to hire, don't they?

Don't feel bad, I have over 25 years experience and failed a test (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
last year. The test was extremely lengthy, very difficult with lots of ESLs and horrible audio. I believe that it was a wonderful thing that I failed that test, especially considering the horrible audio. If the test audio is that horrible then I could only imagine what it would be like on a day-to-day basis.

With your experience it will not take you long to find something!! Wishing you the absolute best of luck!!

Failed test - beentheredonethat

[ In Reply To ..]
I am betting you did not fail the test, rather they just did not want your experience.

Failing tests - RLee

[ In Reply To ..]
At least they let you know you failed their test. I have tested repeatedly and do not even get a response in some cases as to if I passed or failed. I have 22 years experience and do not take it to heart if I do hear I did not pass their test. In some cases after I have tested with a certain company - I read on this board how bad they are so I look at it as a positive thing. If there are the same multiple complaints about a company that tells me personally that there is a problem and it is not just one problem child MT in which case they are a company I would not wnat to associate myself with. I truly believe everything happens for a reason - and eventually something will come the way of MTs with years of experience sooner of later. Some companies still value experience over greed. The right fit will come your way at some point.

RLee you are so right!!!! Go Girl!!! - linann

[ In Reply To ..]
DITTO !!!!!!

Anyone can fail an MT test - LK

[ In Reply To ..]
It can happen to anybody. I think if it keeps happening over and over, that's the time to get concerned. I find it interesting that several very experienced MTs are posting comments that they believe MTSOs are telling MTs they failed tests because the MT has a lot of experience and they don't want to hire them because of that. This doesn't make a lot of sense, as the MTSO can hire whomever they want regardless of the testing outcome. Why go through a big subterfuge and lie about testing results? They don't have to hire you just because you pass a test.

Well said! Anyone can fail a test and rationalizing it is weird! - Another Viewpoint

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been reading the comments about how they just failed you because you have experience. That's just silly! All they have to do is offer you what they want to pay and you can accept it or reject the offer. There is nothing to be gained for a company to reject an applicant because they have experience. Rejecting them because they have an attitude is another thing entirely. Rejecting them because their skills are obsolete also makes sense. More importantly, rejecting them because they had a bad day and failed the test is more likely the case. As was said earlier, if you keep failing tests though, look at your skills and see if you may need to upgrade them.

I just failed one too with 29 years exp. - Bummer

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Failed MQ Test? 15 Years Experience? Anyone Else Have Trouble?
Jul 18, 2010

Anyone ever failed the Medquist Test. Do they let you see results?   I thought I did great, however, evidently not? I have 15 years experience.     ...

I Have Been An MT For 14 Years, But I Failed The Transcend Transcription Test!
Mar 13, 2011

I feel so bummed right now!  I can't believe I failed it.  Am I the only one?  Maybe it's time for a new career?! ...

Failed The Test For SGS??
Feb 24, 2013

So, I go through the grammar portion of the test, use a ton of reference materials when I needed to and I failed the test? Huh???!!! There wasn't even a place that told me what my score was! I have 10+ years in this field and can't see how I failed the test and it's just not sour grapes on my part.  This kind of shakes me to the core and makes me not want to apply anywhere else! Anyone else have this happen?  ...

Failed MQ Test. Will I Be Able To See My Results?
Jul 18, 2010

Have 15 years experience, however, they said I failed test? ...

Does MQ Let You Know If You Passed Or Failed Their Test?
Oct 03, 2010

Took the test a few days ago and haven't heard anything back.  Does anyone know if they advise you of a pass/fail, or do you only hear from them if you pass and are offered a position? TIA? ...

Failed Test And Very Upset
Nov 02, 2010

I am very upset, I took the radiology test and they say that I failed it and I don't see how. I have been a radiology transcriptionist for 20 years. There were only two questions on the multiple choice questions that I was uncertain of and the typing was easy. Has anybody else encountered this? ...

Has Anyone Failed The Tier 3 Test
Oct 20, 2011

I took the test and scored a 92.91 and I needed a 96 to pass.  I feel like a failure.  The fourth report that I was given was a difficult dictator (a fast talker).  My question is, do you know when we can retest.  Is it 90 days? ...

Has Anyone Ever Failed A MT Enrollment Test?
Jun 11, 2012

Have any of you ever failed an enrollment test for a MT course? How did you feel about it? Did you get angry or upset or did you try again?  ...

Failed Medquist Test In September...
Dec 15, 2009

After failing the Medquist test in September 2009, they just e-mailed me today saying Medquist - Eligible to Retest.   Just a few hours later, I got another e-mail saying "Employment Update - Medquist.  You are eligible to retest." I thought a lot of people are losing their jobs at Medquist.  Why the desperate urge to hire, especially people who failed their employment test?     ...

Has Anyone Ever Failed A Voice File Test...sm
May 11, 2011

By making silly mistakes that you can't even believe you made!? Oh, I did. Today. I think I would kick myself in the brain if I could. I feel so defeated. ...

To All The MTs Out There With 20 Plus Years' Experience
Jan 11, 2010

Could you please tell me HOW you did it?  Nevermind the decreasing pay or anything like that.  I'm talking how did you do it PHYSICALLY?  I'm 10 years in, love the nature of the work, etc.  However, I feel beat up from head to toe after only 10 years and while I'd love to stick it out another 10 or 20, assuming it's still a viable option, I just don't know if I could do it.  I'm healthy, pretty fit, but my entire lower legs are constantly ac ...

5 Years Experience
Mar 28, 2013

How is a person supposed to get a job when everyone wants 5 years experience? So I have to work another three years for the place that I am working before I can get a better job? By that time MT's will be totally obsolete. I feel like quiting.   ...

I Wonder Why You Need 5+ Years' Experience For
Oct 15, 2014

only 1 year for Acute Care if apparently Acute care is more difficult?  ???? ...

15+ Years Experience And Can Not Get Employment
Mar 23, 2010

I worked for Viera Diagnostic in Viera, Florida for the past 3 years. I broke my leg recently and they said they didn't need me anymore, as I need physical therapy three times a week to insure mobility in the future. I have over 15 years experience and cannot find a job. Anyone have any ideas. I did one test for one company, they said I did not pass. I am wondering if I should throw in the towel. I love this work and feel that I am a very good transcriptionist. Any ideas are welcome. ...

$8.65 An Hour W/35 Years Experience
Sep 28, 2010

that's what I averaged last week; a disgrace is what it is ...

My Experience Is 3 Years Old, How Do I Get Back In?
Jan 13, 2011

I worked in transcription for 20+ years. My last job was for 16 years, acute care and lots of specialty experience, ESL, radiology. But, I have not worked for 3 years. I can't seem to get a bite. I want to be a full time employee. I have an explanation for my hiatus on my resume. Also, does it detract because I have a Bachelor's degree listed on my resume? THANKS GUYS ...

Looking For Work, Over 7 Years Experience
Sep 02, 2014

I have had less volume at work recently at the place I have been working for over the past 4 years.  Im ready to move on but I want to find the right place for me.  Ive done some hospital and acute care work in the past and didn't care for it.  For the last 4 years Ive done clinic work, mostly ortho, and would like to find a place that will put me on clinic accounts only.  I need steady work and at least .08 a line.  Does anyone have any suggestions of companies the ...

Offered 8 Cpl At SoftScript For 20 Years Experience.
Jan 05, 2011

Has anyone said that was not enough and have them counter offer with more?  I don't plan on working for SS (I saw way too many complaints on the other board about them), but what about future offers which I suspect will not be any higher?  I saw on the resume board what I consider way too many willing to work for 7 cpl with plenty of experience.  Is it likely they will pay more when others are willing to work for so much less?  And many of these 7 cpl were IC.  Al ...

How Long Should An MT With 10+ Years Experience Expect To Be On
Apr 26, 2011

Sometimes I wonder with companies who pay an MT less while they are on full QA, if they don't simply keep that MT on QA for as long as possible to avoid paying the higher rate.  Has anyone ever pressed the QA issue? ...

TTD - Recent Info...not Somebody's Bad Experience Over 2 Years Ago
May 28, 2012

I find it frustrating that some MTs are completely unhappy with this company and yet you find threads of MTs who are happy. ?? How can it be both ways.    I would like to hear from someone who is HAPPY with transcription doctors.  Not smart off comments from people who are just feeding off the threads of others.  Just because a hiring process is easy, does not mean it is a bad company.  As far as the 6 weeks to get the first check...that is in the initial paperwork we received, so that&# ...

6 Years Experience, But No Formal Training -HELP
Dec 07, 2012

Hi all, I have been doing MT on a contingent basis for the last 6 years for my mom (who used to run her own I/C company). For the past 3 years I've been a CNA and this past August had to choose between knee surgery to continue being a CNA or to find another line of work, I have 2 little girls, so I chose the later.  The problem I'm running into is it seems to be a requirement to have a degree or cert in MT/ME to find ANY thing in this field! Does anyone know of a company that doe ...

I REFUSE TO ACCEPT 7 TO 8 CPL WITH 20 YEARS EXPERIENCE-IT IS AN INSULT TO ME
Aug 11, 2010

I have been testing all week. Some companies will not even discuss pay until you take their tests. Then, I waste my time taking these tests only to be offered 7 and 8 cpl. It is absolutely offensive to me to offer me that low pay. You want all of my years of experience, but only want to pay "newbie" rates. I am completely and wholeheartedly giving up on this profession. ...

Have Satellite Internet. DO You Know Anyone Who Will Hire Me With 20+ Years Experience?
Jan 31, 2012

I moved to the country and now I have to use Satellite internet.  Are there any companies that will hire you with satellite internet?  ...

Years Of Experience Transcribing Psych Reports
Jul 19, 2012

Is there anyone here who can tell me for certain why so many companies want MTs to have 3-5 years experience for psych transcribing? I've transcribed many psych reports and they are not that difficult. Is there more involved when it is strictly psych doctors? Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.  ...

I Have Not Worked In 6 Years, And Only Have 3 Months Experience, Is There Hope In Finding A Medical
Jul 05, 2012

I graduated from a local Technical College with a Certificate in Medical Transcription. I had spent a year searching for a company that would hire someone new, but had no luck. Then, out of the blue a local company had seen my resume and offered me a job. I got the job, but the thing was I was almost 7 months pregnant with my second child! I had only worked a couple months until our baby was born and after consideration, decided not to come back so I could be with our baby full-time. Well, it ha ...

Is InScribe LLC, Kentucky Changing; Anyone Recently Apply Or Been Hired Who Has Years Of Experience;
May 11, 2011

Okay, I know InScribe LLC (Kentucky) has been on the Boards multiple times (at least monthly, if not weekly, it seems), but I just noticed they have a “Premium” ad at the top of the Job Seeker’s Board.  I guess these “Featured Listings” are not free, as the other listings are.  If I remember correctly, most of the posts on the Boards have been by Newbies, because InScribe evidently is one of the few MTSOs that hire new graduates.  However, it appear ...

Failed Audit. How Failed To Require Line Rate
Oct 02, 2014

Is it any fail or under a certain percentage? ...

After Years And Years Of Being IC, Obtained Employee Status At A Co. Sm
Nov 26, 2012

Thought that after not having enough work for a couple years now and always chasing work, I'd now have a "real job" as an employee and wouldn't have to worry about a steady paycheck and paying the bills anymore. The reason I thought this was because at the interview and in their professional company emails, they use all the "real job" words:  Shift, scheduled hours, overtime, PTO, benefits, etc.  I felt relieved to finally have a "job." What a big bunch of BS! I was "hired" ...

3 Years. Question: How Many More Years Do You Plan To Be An MT/editor?
Dec 20, 2013

There is much speculation about the field of transcription - how many of us actually plan to be here 5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now. I realize that the field is going to change, which will contribute to your answer. Will there be enough transcriptionists/editors to fill the need in 5 years and in 10 years? Will the industry be forced out of offshoring because of taxes? Will there be a need even for editors if VR gets better? These are all unanswered questions, but my question is, what ...

I Worked For M*Modal A Couple Of Years Ago Or So And I Worked For Medquist Several Years Ago.
Aug 08, 2014

Lately, I've been getting legal notices mailed to my home from I believe the east coast somewhere informing me of a class action lawsuit against M*Modal and inviting me to joint if I have a claim.  I don't think I have a claim, but then again with all the shady practices in this business, I'm not so sure.  I'm just curious what the heck is going on. Anyone care to give me the lowdown? ...