A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Huge Numbers of MTs Have Recently Hit Retirement Age - But what is retirement age

Posted: May 18, 2010

I've heard for maybe 10 years now that right now, 2010, is when vast numbers of MTs were supposed to hit retirement age and quit work.

What is retirement age?

I don't want to retire, but when does a person really need to retire even if they don't want to?

you can start collecting - social security

[ In Reply To ..]
at 62, but you have to weigh the benefits vs. the drawbacks of waiting to collect until you are 65. If I were faced with this, I would take the money while it's still available:)

Sadly many MTs may never truly retire...may work themselves to death instead just trying to make ends meet.

But what if you're like me and you love your work and - Dont Want To Retire

[ In Reply To ..]
Is there an age where you just have to because someone makes you? How old can someone be in this industry?

According to SS rules, once you've reached full...sm - Nope!

[ In Reply To ..]
retirement age, you can work as much as you want without affecting your monthly benefit amount. That's what I fully intend to do. Not sure if SS $$ will be there anyway, since they keep diverting away any $$ for other ridiculous purposes and/or benefits to illegals (yes it DOES happen - I have a friend in FL who can attest to that!). There is no way, legally, that they can make you quit so enjoy your working years!
So is Age 65 your full retirement age? - Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
Is it 65 years?
I think it depends on your birthdate. For some, it - may be moved up to 72
[ In Reply To ..]
Check the SSA.gov site for accurate info.
According to our SS Statements each year . . - anon
[ In Reply To ..]

My husband and I have gotten statements every year from SS since we were about 45 years old or so, are now 55, and it breaks down your monthly benefit if you retire at age 62 = a certain monthly benefit, age 66 is considered full retirement age, so the monthly income goes up, and then it gives you an even higher monthly amount if you want until age 70 to retire.  (They base this on the assumption that you will keep earning your present income until that age that you retire. If your income drops before then, or you quit working, your monthly benefit will also go down - they use the quote "At your current earnings rate, "). At age 62 you can earn a certain amount each year w/o affecting your benefits, which is what I intend on doing, then hopefully can work part-time for the next several years.

Full retirement age - Retired MT
[ In Reply To ..]
My full retirement age was 65 years and 8 months in 2006. I was born in 1941, but I took early retirement at 62 due to illness and later worked part-time. Can't get Medicare until full retirement age--main difference.

Retirement age - Transcend MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I am 64, and took early retirement at age 63, which you can do, and I did compare that to what I would receive if I waited until age 65, and there was not that much difference, particularly since I started working at age 16, part time in the summer, and through my college years. I then began working full time after 3 years of college at age of 20. I have worked steadily since that time, only taking time off for needed surgeries or pregnancies. The age of retirement has moved to the age 70 now and may go further soon. For me, I don't know when I will retire, but would like to eventually work part-time because I will have Medicare when I turn 65 next year.

Similar Messages:

Retirement
Jun 14, 2011

Does anyone know what happens to our 401K? ...

About Retirement: Don't Do It If You Don't Have To
Apr 03, 2015

I'm not saying to stay on at a horrible job that you hate. Do something else if you need to, but retirement is not always as great as we've always told it would be. When I look around me, I see all the retired people wishing they had something to do, somewhere to go, and a little bit of money to spend. Their brains don't get a very good workout.  Stay active! Don't retire unless you have to. ...

Anyone Nearing Retirement At MQ
Jan 05, 2010

Just wondering if they offer a retirement packet.  ...

Retirement Plus Still Typing PT
Sep 19, 2011

MTs:  I presently work for an outsource company which has sold its MT division to another outsource company.   I will be 62 yo come January.  I am to the point now of seriously thinking about taking early retirement and only working PT 20 hours a week. If I do that I would actually be making more money that way than I would be working the 50+ hours a week I do now.   The thing that I am concerned about is I would have no health insurance unless I pay for it out of my own poc ...

Transcription Vs Retirement
Nov 21, 2011

Has anyone faced this problem?  Worked at home many years in radiation oncology then because of by out from hospital I was transfered to medical transcription department for training. When I showed up for training I was told that they "didn't quite know what to do with me". Showed up for daily training only to be sent home because volume was low. Eventually, realized that they didn't want to train me so I decided to retire. Is there any recourse? ...

Early Retirement ?
Dec 17, 2012

Thinking about taking early retirement and just working part time.  I understand I can make a little over 14,000 without reduction in social security benefits.  I would however have to purchase private insurance until I am old enough for Medicare.  Anyone done this or have any input on it?   ...

Benefits And Retirement?
Oct 20, 2013

My minimal wage MT job is offering benefits and retirement account. Wouldn't getting benefits not to mention retirement account eat further into the small-sum paycheck I get now so that it's questionable whether I can pay for food or rent? The way they offer benefits, you think they pay a "normal" amount of money. By the way, is it required to enroll in healthcare benefits now that there's a new healthcare law? ...

Retirement Vs Mmodal
Aug 21, 2014

People talk about being on a fixed income as if it's a bad  thing. After 4 pay cuts in 10 years and now facing a 3 cpl cut plus our annual Christmas pay cut, I would absolutely LOVE  to be on a fixed income! ...

Mandatory Retirement?
Apr 02, 2015

Is there a mandatory retirement age for employees and/or ICs working remotely in HIM?  If so, is it federal, or does it differ by state?  Need input on this with particular regard to Ohio and Florida, please. Thanks so much. ...

Medical Transcription After Retirement
May 21, 2012

I transcribed for over 40 years, and when I do test now, I usually test up to 95%, and that is just not good enough even for a company I previously worked for that went outsourcing after freezing us out of work.  I really loved transcribing and would do it again in a heartbear if I could get a good, steady part-time source.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Thank you.  I am in Glendale, AZ if that will help.  ...

Early Retirement 29 Days Away
Jun 03, 2013

39 work days left at this God for saken company.  Early retirement is more money before taxes even with the $200 penalty for taking early retirement.  No more 65 hour work weeks between 2 jobs.  Working part time, 25 hours, as a cashier and customer service rep in a gocery store and making more money than at MModal.    39 Work Days Left at MModal!!!!!!!!!  If not sooner if I can afford it!!!!! ...

Part Time And Saving For Retirement
Dec 17, 2009

I'm thinking of going part time at my job so I can do something else on the side.  However, I won't be able to have a 401K or PTO.  I get medical and dental benefits through my husband's work, so that doesn't matter.  For any part timers out there, what do you do to save for retirement?  ...

Shipwrecked, Here Are Pics Of Our Retirement Home
Jan 31, 2010

Here are some pictures of that beautiful little island I have chosen to live out the rest of my days.  Since you wanted to spend your remaining days there too, I thought you would want to see the pictures.  As you can see there are plenty of huts to choose from, I'm not sure which kind I want yet, but I am favoring one of those huts that are in the water.  I have also sent a picture of the island from an aerial view so you can see how small it is. I heard Bill gates gave aw ...

15 More Work Days--Early Retirement Here I Come
Jul 02, 2013

15 days and early retirement.  Can't wait until I write my letter to MModal to tell them what I think of them--will not do any good and will probably give them a good laugh for the day.  Used to love this job, but now HATE it.  Social Security with penalty and working 25 hours making more money and will be the end of 65 hour work weeks to make ends meet.  VIRTUAL RETIREMENT PARTY!!!!!! ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Shipwrecked, Bunion And Sunshine State, Our Retirement Home.
Feb 18, 2010

Hi ladies, I have no work again today, so I had some time to do this.  I live in the North and as I look out my window all I see is snow (measured in feet), and I really hate the winter.  I thought it would cheer me up to post more pics of our retirement home.  I must admit I did get a little carried away, and there will probably be another post with even more pics.  I have included in these pics different huts, water, beach and inland, but I could not resist posting some pi ...

HUGE Laughs......SM
Jan 29, 2013

I'm in an HIT program after doing transcription for about 5 years and deciding that I'm tired of being a wandering sheep, and I just read the first chapter in one of my textbooks, which says that "speech recognition software is 95% to 99% accurate."  I'll be pointing out in my class that that is a grievous error. ...

A Huge Eye Opener
Dec 08, 2013

I had a HUGE eye opener yesterday.  We are not the only ones who are being replaced by software, it is happening in every single industry - I read a big article yesterday announcing this "really cool" (the article's opinion, not mine) new way to place an order at Chili's - on an iPad type tablet that is brought to your table when you are seated - point and click.  Then your order goes directly to the kitchen electronically and your dinner is brought to you by a staff member w ...

Ok Question............My CCM Says Huge Over Time Sm
Dec 17, 2011

as we all know it is going to be totally different on 12/26..............why?  Does anyone know what is happening the 26th?  End of pay period is the 24th, 25th starts a new one so what significance does the 26th hold?  ...

That MLK Holiday Is A HUGE One... To Not Have Work
Jan 24, 2013

I guess I should plan for a week off for Valentines Day, hey? ...

Ipswitch Is A HUGE JOKE
Apr 24, 2013

I can't get to anything but the first page of my inbox.  Oops, now can't even get that. Maybe I'll sit here and work on my Quality essay. ...

Huge Account Going To EPIC
Oct 16, 2013

So, we were just informed that a huge account is being rolled out to EPIC and "assured" there would be "minimal" volume loss.  Can somebody who has been through this please give us the true facts?  I'm inclined to not want to drink the Nuance Kool-Aid. Thanks in advance. ...

As Much As I Detest The Huge Unforgiving
Jan 29, 2015

worked for, I must admit that their unrelenting and harsh criticism of my work and their 99.7% plus demand for perfection has made me a better transcriptionist. I now work for a company where I acheive 100% on nearly all audits and had the same experience at another company before this one. I just knew I was better than N or M had me made out to be. ...

MTSO Lost Huge Account
Jul 17, 2010

Small to medium-sized company lost a very large long-term client.  Naturally, the MTs are to blame.  Reason given was the work was out of turn around on weekends and MTs did not meet their commitments.  I can't say what percentage of MTs did not meet their commitments.  I do know that I always have.  I also know that I have kept an accurate log of the work on this very large account and 75 to 90% of the time the work runs out on Sunday, with no work available on Mon ...

Medquist Awarded A Huge Contract.
Aug 26, 2010

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/medquist-awarded-contract-with-child-health-corporation-of-america-101383704.html   It does say hospital is outsourcing, so does that mean India? In the latest example of its support for providers nationwide, MedQuist recently signed an agreement with Child Health Corporation of America (CHCA) for clinical documentation and computer-assisted coding technology and outsourced medical transcription and coding services.  MedQuist will implemen ...

Oracle. End Of My Rope. Huge New Account, 70 MTs?
Oct 21, 2010

Anyone else one of the new hires?  Are you on the new huge account?  I've been twiddling my thumbs now.  Guess I need to apply elsewhere.  I had been told before it was a good company, but I need to be actually typing. That really is a lot of MTs to hire and then not have the new account begin.  I read, below, someone said it keeps being delayed. ...

Can We Get Some Experienced Opinions On OTI's Huge Account?
Feb 08, 2011

Would really appreciate input from anyone who works on this account. ...

Nuance Just Lost Huge Account
Sep 04, 2012

Just got email that stated that one of Nuance largest accounts has left them for another "vendor"  They will be slowly removing them from pool and putting everybody elsewhere so they say ...

Is There A Way To Hide The Huge Statistics Panel In 7.2??
Mar 07, 2013

It takes up most of the screen, and I don't care about any of those statistics anyway.  Just let me work without harrassing me about my stats. ...

Why Fire For Not Meeting Production When Getting Huge
Jan 07, 2014

workflow changes due to a large account being lost (wasn't my primary).  Wondered why all of a sudden I was off my primary and getting mostly this account.  Of course, they didn't know it was leaving until it disappeared.  I'd probably have a heart attack if I every heard the truth.  Never know what hospital is going to show up in the queve, more longer transcription jobs, ASR jobs that have to be typed because the ASR does not match up, some horrible dict ...