A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

retirement vs mmodal - L&L

Posted: Aug 21, 2014

People talk about being on a fixed income as if it's a bad  thing.

After 4 pay cuts in 10 years and now facing a 3 cpl cut plus our annual Christmas pay cut, I would absolutely LOVE  to be on a fixed income!

Precisely why, after I lost my job, I didn't bother - applying to any more MT jobs. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
In a year and a half, I'll be eligible for full retirement benefits. I'm just coasting, treading water, raiding what's left of my savings, and paying the minimum on my credit cards until then. (And doing side jobs for CASH). ;)

"now facing a 3 cpl cut plus our annual Christmas pay cut" - Say what?!

[ In Reply To ..]
Did I miss something?

I mean, I did watch the webcast. Or, I played the video while I went in the other room and did something else. I wanted to get paid for watching it! lol I just don't give 2 craps what those suits have to say anymore since they are all lying snakes.

Sorry to mislead anyone, I'm heading to PM, and - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]
the big mm ALWAYS does pay cuts before Christmas. In sneaky ways. Reducing the hours for shift differential, reducing vacation. Soon one of these days I'm expecting to see those of us grandfathered in at 6 cpl for VR to be reduced to 4 cpl. More vacation reductions. Doing away with shift differential. Anything they can think of to screw us over.

Similar Messages:

Retirement
Jun 14, 2011

Does anyone know what happens to our 401K? ...

About Retirement: Don't Do It If You Don't Have To
Apr 03, 2015

I'm not saying to stay on at a horrible job that you hate. Do something else if you need to, but retirement is not always as great as we've always told it would be. When I look around me, I see all the retired people wishing they had something to do, somewhere to go, and a little bit of money to spend. Their brains don't get a very good workout.  Stay active! Don't retire unless you have to. ...

Anyone Nearing Retirement At MQ
Jan 05, 2010

Just wondering if they offer a retirement packet.  ...

Retirement Plus Still Typing PT
Sep 19, 2011

MTs:  I presently work for an outsource company which has sold its MT division to another outsource company.   I will be 62 yo come January.  I am to the point now of seriously thinking about taking early retirement and only working PT 20 hours a week. If I do that I would actually be making more money that way than I would be working the 50+ hours a week I do now.   The thing that I am concerned about is I would have no health insurance unless I pay for it out of my own poc ...

Transcription Vs Retirement
Nov 21, 2011

Has anyone faced this problem?  Worked at home many years in radiation oncology then because of by out from hospital I was transfered to medical transcription department for training. When I showed up for training I was told that they "didn't quite know what to do with me". Showed up for daily training only to be sent home because volume was low. Eventually, realized that they didn't want to train me so I decided to retire. Is there any recourse? ...

Early Retirement ?
Dec 17, 2012

Thinking about taking early retirement and just working part time.  I understand I can make a little over 14,000 without reduction in social security benefits.  I would however have to purchase private insurance until I am old enough for Medicare.  Anyone done this or have any input on it?   ...

Benefits And Retirement?
Oct 20, 2013

My minimal wage MT job is offering benefits and retirement account. Wouldn't getting benefits not to mention retirement account eat further into the small-sum paycheck I get now so that it's questionable whether I can pay for food or rent? The way they offer benefits, you think they pay a "normal" amount of money. By the way, is it required to enroll in healthcare benefits now that there's a new healthcare law? ...

Mandatory Retirement?
Apr 02, 2015

Is there a mandatory retirement age for employees and/or ICs working remotely in HIM?  If so, is it federal, or does it differ by state?  Need input on this with particular regard to Ohio and Florida, please. Thanks so much. ...

Medical Transcription After Retirement
May 21, 2012

I transcribed for over 40 years, and when I do test now, I usually test up to 95%, and that is just not good enough even for a company I previously worked for that went outsourcing after freezing us out of work.  I really loved transcribing and would do it again in a heartbear if I could get a good, steady part-time source.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Thank you.  I am in Glendale, AZ if that will help.  ...

Early Retirement 29 Days Away
Jun 03, 2013

39 work days left at this God for saken company.  Early retirement is more money before taxes even with the $200 penalty for taking early retirement.  No more 65 hour work weeks between 2 jobs.  Working part time, 25 hours, as a cashier and customer service rep in a gocery store and making more money than at MModal.    39 Work Days Left at MModal!!!!!!!!!  If not sooner if I can afford it!!!!! ...

Part Time And Saving For Retirement
Dec 17, 2009

I'm thinking of going part time at my job so I can do something else on the side.  However, I won't be able to have a 401K or PTO.  I get medical and dental benefits through my husband's work, so that doesn't matter.  For any part timers out there, what do you do to save for retirement?  ...

Shipwrecked, Here Are Pics Of Our Retirement Home
Jan 31, 2010

Here are some pictures of that beautiful little island I have chosen to live out the rest of my days.  Since you wanted to spend your remaining days there too, I thought you would want to see the pictures.  As you can see there are plenty of huts to choose from, I'm not sure which kind I want yet, but I am favoring one of those huts that are in the water.  I have also sent a picture of the island from an aerial view so you can see how small it is. I heard Bill gates gave aw ...

Huge Numbers Of MTs Have Recently Hit Retirement Age
May 18, 2010

I've heard for maybe 10 years now that right now, 2010, is when vast numbers of MTs were supposed to hit retirement age and quit work. What is retirement age? I don't want to retire, but when does a person really need to retire even if they don't want to? ...

15 More Work Days--Early Retirement Here I Come
Jul 02, 2013

15 days and early retirement.  Can't wait until I write my letter to MModal to tell them what I think of them--will not do any good and will probably give them a good laugh for the day.  Used to love this job, but now HATE it.  Social Security with penalty and working 25 hours making more money and will be the end of 65 hour work weeks to make ends meet.  VIRTUAL RETIREMENT PARTY!!!!!! ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Shipwrecked, Bunion And Sunshine State, Our Retirement Home.
Feb 18, 2010

Hi ladies, I have no work again today, so I had some time to do this.  I live in the North and as I look out my window all I see is snow (measured in feet), and I really hate the winter.  I thought it would cheer me up to post more pics of our retirement home.  I must admit I did get a little carried away, and there will probably be another post with even more pics.  I have included in these pics different huts, water, beach and inland, but I could not resist posting some pi ...

Anyone Using MModal
May 19, 2011

and noticing that it is really not doing a good job lately.  I've not usually had problems with it when it comes to regular English-speaking doctors, but this week it has been a mess.  It is either not putting in entire sentences or putting in off the wall stuff that sounds nothing like what is being said.  I've come to expect that with ESL, but certainly not with English as native language.  Weird.  Must be taking some time off for MT week. ...

What Is MModal?
Feb 13, 2012

What is MModal company?  General typist edit company or Medical transcription company? This question is bugging me ever since this ASR took over from us.. LOL to wrap it up..   ...

SS# And MModal
Apr 30, 2012

MModal asks for your SS# on the application process of applying for jobs there!!! Thanks to some of you, I ran ran ran from this place.  When I inquired about how uncomfortable I was with sharing my SS#...I was told to just use any number.  WHAT?!!? Then why have it there!!! Who in their right mind would give their SS# to a company that hasn't even hired them yet.  I agree with the rest of you. RUN SALLY RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN ...

MModal, WHY????
May 24, 2012

Why is MModal posting job openings, when so many of use are running out of work or worse falling into the pool--what with the pay cuts, VR being paid half even though it takes nearly as long to edit most reports, and the fact that I only get my "primary" accounts about 30% of the time and the rest of the time I am typing from the pool so that nearly every report that comes up is a new facility or dictator, I have gone from making $16 an hour to minimum wage. I cannot afford this. Why can' ...

Does MModal Pay OT? Nm
Oct 02, 2012

nm ...

Does MModal Pay For
Oct 17, 2012

nm ...

MModal 6 Cpl
Oct 23, 2012

I just saw that MModal has a tier 3 level where VR is 6 cpl.  Thinking is it worth it to move over when you top out at 4 cpl for acute care here. ...

New To Mmodal
Jan 03, 2013

Would someone mind briefly explaining how the QA penalty works for MModal? ...

Does Anyone Like MModal?
Jan 22, 2013

I see so many complaints about MModal. Does anyone actually like them? I'm in the hiring process and they are calling with an offer. I would like to try it out. I work in-house now, but eventually my position will be eliminated due to VR. I do not make that great of pay, and have lots of down time, but still have to sit in the office all day. I know that all companies have their ups and downs. My hospital being Union makes doing anything impossible and makes it easier to keep the "bad ...

What Has Mmodal Done To Me?
Apr 12, 2013

Well, I suppose any transciption job would do the same.  Before this profression, I was a good little girl who would never swear or cuss and even chastised others for doing so, but since becoming an MT (especially with MModal), with all these horrendous dictators and this buggy platform, if you listen from outside my office, you'd think someone locked a surly sailor with Tourettes in with me.  I've called dictators names that would make a construction worker blush.  I al ...

MModal ??
Jun 26, 2013

How long after being hired to get health insurance? I am currently with Nuance, my ex, who provides health insurance for our son just got laid off and lost health insurance. Our son has antiphospholipid syndrome., he is chronically on Coumadin, and he cannot go without health insurance. I cannot afford $735 a month to cover him and myself working at Nuance.  Thanks ...

Mmodal PI:
Sep 05, 2013

cupcakes, candy filled mugs and T-shirts.  They look so happy, smiling.     Mmodal US:  We get NJA, the swamp board, UE (if we are lucky).  We live on edge and with constant worry.   I really am happy for the Filipinos, because I know this probably represents a wonderful opportunity for some of them.  Time for the rest of us to move on.  Whoever's last to leave the building, please turn off the lights.   ...

Ex-MModal
Sep 16, 2013

Left MModal 18 mos. ago and have been on here encouraging everybody that there is life after MQ/MM.  This week my wonderful clinic goes live with EMR.  The trainer won't even recognize transcription.  He is just adamant that the docs will enter everything themselves and when they don't, he is pushing Dragon Medical.  So I guess I was wrong.  I really thought I found a way out, but apparently not.  It was a great year and a half though.  ...

WOW MModal Is The New UPS
Oct 16, 2013

There is one area we do plan to adjust for 2014 which we expect will impact a very small percentage of our employees. If your spouse or domestic partner works and is eligible to receive health benefits in another qualified plan in 2014, you will be subject to a $100 per month surcharge if you elect to include them in the M*Modal healthcare plan.  Keep in mind that this cost applies only to working spouses and domestic partners, not to children or other dependents ...