A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Mandatory Retirement? - oldiebutgoodie

Posted: Apr 02, 2015

Is there a mandatory retirement age for employees and/or ICs working remotely in HIM?  If so, is it federal, or does it differ by state?  Need input on this with particular regard to Ohio and Florida, please. Thanks so much.

Retirement - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
Am in Illinois - retired almost two years ago from a hospital. Got bored and am working PT for a national transcription company from home. As far as I know, there is no mandatory retirement for us. We type til we drop! I know with my SS, pension and annuity, I can still make up to $10,000 yearly without paying taxes.

Dotts, please clarify, sounds like you took early - retirement because otherwise

[ In Reply To ..]
There is no cap on what you are allowed to make per year. People who see your post might think that is all you can make with SS but is not. I worked until full age retirement and can make as much as I want, no penalty.

Retirement - Dotts

[ In Reply To ..]
The SS office and my accountant told me I could make like up to $10,000 or $12,000 additionally each year (don't remember which) above and beyond my SS payments and NOT pay taxes on it. I know I can make more with again taking a FT job BUT I would have to pay taxes on it above that amount.
Now am understanding, you just do not want the - paying tax part, not you can only make
[ In Reply To ..]
$10,000 a year. If a person takes early retirement know they can only make a sat amount before having to pay back. I do pay taxes on my income, work part time, have SS and pension also. Oh, forgot hubby pays the taxes on mine but not can only make a certain amount each year.

Mandatory retirement is generally unlawful in the US. - Why ask this?

[ In Reply To ..]
Why do you ask this? Mandatory retirement ages are generally unlawful in the US, regardless of state. They are a violation of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967.

They are only legal in certain occupations like the military, FBI, air traffic controllers, etc.

There is a full explanation on Wikipedia. Why not try looking there?

Mandatory retirement ? SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I searched and found the link below. Is an employer trying to tell you otherwise? If a MTSO is trying to tell you you are too old to be hired, they are clearly in violation of the law. As far as an IC contract, not unless there is an age limit written into it (which I doubt there would be).

Age limits written into IC contract - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
If any MTSO tries to write an age limit into an IC contract, the applicant should contact the Labor Board, the Equal Opportunity office, and possibly her or his private counsel.

paranoid oldie - but goodie

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks so much to all of you for the info. There have been other posts elsewhere on this board about some MTSOs in a bind because they have to provide benefits to employees, but can't get an insurer unless a certain percentage of employees want the medical coverage. I think someone might have posted that they were let go for that reason, that they didn't need the company's health insurance coverage (can't remember exact details, but something to that effect), which didn't sound very feasible. So, if someone didn't need coverage because they might already be on Medicare...it was suggested to me that maybe mandatory retirement could also be used as a reason for being laid off. Hence, the paranoia behind the original question.

Similar Messages:

Retirement
Jun 14, 2011

Does anyone know what happens to our 401K? ...

About Retirement: Don't Do It If You Don't Have To
Apr 03, 2015

I'm not saying to stay on at a horrible job that you hate. Do something else if you need to, but retirement is not always as great as we've always told it would be. When I look around me, I see all the retired people wishing they had something to do, somewhere to go, and a little bit of money to spend. Their brains don't get a very good workout.  Stay active! Don't retire unless you have to. ...

Anyone Nearing Retirement At MQ
Jan 05, 2010

Just wondering if they offer a retirement packet.  ...

Retirement Plus Still Typing PT
Sep 19, 2011

MTs:  I presently work for an outsource company which has sold its MT division to another outsource company.   I will be 62 yo come January.  I am to the point now of seriously thinking about taking early retirement and only working PT 20 hours a week. If I do that I would actually be making more money that way than I would be working the 50+ hours a week I do now.   The thing that I am concerned about is I would have no health insurance unless I pay for it out of my own poc ...

Transcription Vs Retirement
Nov 21, 2011

Has anyone faced this problem?  Worked at home many years in radiation oncology then because of by out from hospital I was transfered to medical transcription department for training. When I showed up for training I was told that they "didn't quite know what to do with me". Showed up for daily training only to be sent home because volume was low. Eventually, realized that they didn't want to train me so I decided to retire. Is there any recourse? ...

Early Retirement ?
Dec 17, 2012

Thinking about taking early retirement and just working part time.  I understand I can make a little over 14,000 without reduction in social security benefits.  I would however have to purchase private insurance until I am old enough for Medicare.  Anyone done this or have any input on it?   ...

Benefits And Retirement?
Oct 20, 2013

My minimal wage MT job is offering benefits and retirement account. Wouldn't getting benefits not to mention retirement account eat further into the small-sum paycheck I get now so that it's questionable whether I can pay for food or rent? The way they offer benefits, you think they pay a "normal" amount of money. By the way, is it required to enroll in healthcare benefits now that there's a new healthcare law? ...

Retirement Vs Mmodal
Aug 21, 2014

People talk about being on a fixed income as if it's a bad  thing. After 4 pay cuts in 10 years and now facing a 3 cpl cut plus our annual Christmas pay cut, I would absolutely LOVE  to be on a fixed income! ...

Medical Transcription After Retirement
May 21, 2012

I transcribed for over 40 years, and when I do test now, I usually test up to 95%, and that is just not good enough even for a company I previously worked for that went outsourcing after freezing us out of work.  I really loved transcribing and would do it again in a heartbear if I could get a good, steady part-time source.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Thank you.  I am in Glendale, AZ if that will help.  ...

Early Retirement 29 Days Away
Jun 03, 2013

39 work days left at this God for saken company.  Early retirement is more money before taxes even with the $200 penalty for taking early retirement.  No more 65 hour work weeks between 2 jobs.  Working part time, 25 hours, as a cashier and customer service rep in a gocery store and making more money than at MModal.    39 Work Days Left at MModal!!!!!!!!!  If not sooner if I can afford it!!!!! ...

Part Time And Saving For Retirement
Dec 17, 2009

I'm thinking of going part time at my job so I can do something else on the side.  However, I won't be able to have a 401K or PTO.  I get medical and dental benefits through my husband's work, so that doesn't matter.  For any part timers out there, what do you do to save for retirement?  ...

Shipwrecked, Here Are Pics Of Our Retirement Home
Jan 31, 2010

Here are some pictures of that beautiful little island I have chosen to live out the rest of my days.  Since you wanted to spend your remaining days there too, I thought you would want to see the pictures.  As you can see there are plenty of huts to choose from, I'm not sure which kind I want yet, but I am favoring one of those huts that are in the water.  I have also sent a picture of the island from an aerial view so you can see how small it is. I heard Bill gates gave aw ...

Huge Numbers Of MTs Have Recently Hit Retirement Age
May 18, 2010

I've heard for maybe 10 years now that right now, 2010, is when vast numbers of MTs were supposed to hit retirement age and quit work. What is retirement age? I don't want to retire, but when does a person really need to retire even if they don't want to? ...

15 More Work Days--Early Retirement Here I Come
Jul 02, 2013

15 days and early retirement.  Can't wait until I write my letter to MModal to tell them what I think of them--will not do any good and will probably give them a good laugh for the day.  Used to love this job, but now HATE it.  Social Security with penalty and working 25 hours making more money and will be the end of 65 hour work weeks to make ends meet.  VIRTUAL RETIREMENT PARTY!!!!!! ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Shipwrecked, Bunion And Sunshine State, Our Retirement Home.
Feb 18, 2010

Hi ladies, I have no work again today, so I had some time to do this.  I live in the North and as I look out my window all I see is snow (measured in feet), and I really hate the winter.  I thought it would cheer me up to post more pics of our retirement home.  I must admit I did get a little carried away, and there will probably be another post with even more pics.  I have included in these pics different huts, water, beach and inland, but I could not resist posting some pi ...

Is EMR Mandatory?
Apr 16, 2012

Perhaps I should know the answer but I do not.  What is the deal with the move to EMR?  Is it government mandated?  I just picked up a good side job transcribing for a cardiology group in my community and it's projected to last only until they go to EMR..the move isn't happening too quickly...are there penalties if they don't move to EMR?  Who is driving this? ...

Mandatory
Oct 10, 2012

Anybody enjoying the mandatory overtime.  Yea funny how we are on mandatory overtime and then get an email that states that if you run out of work, you are required to email them and flex your time and can only make it up after 5 p.m.  So again, you are required to check for your work throughout the day and if there is no work, sorry for your luck and if you want to be "lucky" enough to be employed w/ Nuance, you will then have to sign in and work on your off shift to make up your hour ...

Mandatory PTO?
Dec 09, 2012

Email received said basically,,,time sheet must be approved, make sure you have the required amount of time or PTO will be added to make up missing and you will need to re-approve it..I dont want to take PTO, I didnt run out of work, THEY DID..I put in my remedy ticket release without pay..How do they get away with that? ...

Mandatory OT?
Dec 20, 2014

Anyone else at SS wondering since when is OT mandatory?  Threats of pulling PTO and flex time already scheduled if normal days off during the holidays aren't spent working OT?  ...

MM, If You Want Mandatory OT, Then
Mar 16, 2015

only way I'd even consider OT.  period. ...

Still Mandatory OT
Mar 18, 2015

One hour required again today.  Too many people off on leave I guess. ...

Mandatory OT Over For My POD!
Mar 22, 2015

Finally some sense. ...

Mandatory Meetings - DSG
Apr 22, 2010

How can a company order you to attend mandatory conference calls and mandatory HIPAA training and mandatory platform training sessions and not pay you for your time?  Every time they send an e-mail for something such as this, they refuse to pay, even for an hour of time.  They tell you these meetings and conference calls are a bonus for you, and that they are saving you money by you not having to pay for them someday (do I look like I just fell off of the turnip truck?).  They mus ...

Mandatory Training Without Pay - Really?
Jun 03, 2010

Just informed that I have to take MANDATORY HIPAA training without pay because I can take it "anytime on my OWN time!"  LOL!!!  The course is 45 minutes long!  It is not enough that we have to learn account specifics "on our own time", read the constant silly e-mails "on our own time", but now we have to do mandatory training "on our own time."  Oh, yeah - and we have to pass the class with a test at the end too!  I feel like I am in a volunteer job!   Hmmmm, I ...

Looks Like Mandatory CMT Credentials Soon.
Aug 02, 2010

Just like the post below stated, House of Delgates known as (HOD) from AHDI is wanting everyone to ensure patient safety and the integrity of patient records, all persons involved in creating, editing, organizing, or transmitting protected health information should be formally trained and hold credentials relevant to those duties.  To that end, AHDI should move forward with the support of its leadership in actively advocating for mandatory credentialing by whatever means that can be accompl ...

Mandatory Weekends....why?
Apr 09, 2011

Why do MTSOs require weekend coverage for every one of their accounts? I have 2 and have work up the yin yang during the week but come Saturday, I'm watching paint dry. My MTSO requires 1 weekend day, at least 4 hours. I changed my weekend shift TWICE to work during the "busy" dictation times and I'm still NJA. Now that it's getting nicer outside, I've got plans and wanna have a life again. The higher ups get off every weekend, why can't we, or at least rotate? I do ...

TT Mandatory Training
Jun 10, 2011

In my state, they are required by law to pay.  I called the labor board to verify.  By law, they have to pay if you are a non-exempt employee.  I can't file a complaint until the training is completed, but I can do it online the same day as I complete the training.  They (labor board) also advised that I keep emails and attach them to the complaint.  Unfortunately, it could take up to a year to get the money - my state is sloooow in resolving issues. Even still, my ...

Mandatory Headers
Oct 03, 2011

Somehow turned off those pesky mandatory PE and DS headings on the left and cannot remember how or where to get them to turn back on.  Anyone know?  Thanks. ...

Is OT Mandatory At Webmedx?
Oct 05, 2011

I am curious to know if all this overtime every week is mandatory or not.  MY AM asks for overtime on a daily basis and wants commitments for the week. I have been doing it, but am to the point where I just dont want to anymore, I have things in my life that I need to do or want to do instead of spending MY free time always working, working, working. Does anyone else feel this way too? I just dont want to get in trouble if I dont sign up and "commit" to the overtime every week. Thanks! ...