A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Early retirement ? - nn

Posted: Dec 17, 2012

Thinking about taking early retirement and just working part time.  I understand I can make a little over 14,000 without reduction in social security benefits.  I would however have to purchase private insurance until I am old enough for Medicare.  Anyone done this or have any input on it?

Early retirement? - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
I did not take early retirement as I wanted to work and I did not want to give up at least 20% reduction in benefits each month from then on. Also for earnings over $14,160 you deduct $1.00 for each $2.00 you make. I read on here before about 1 lady who starting drawing early, made over what she was allowed and ended up paying them back for several months. If you reach full retirement in 2011 the earning limit was $37,680 and then SS could take $1.00 from each $3.00 you earned over that until the month you turned 66. I am really glad to wait because for me I do not have to worry about them taking a dollar here, a dollar there. I also got a 3.6% increase in my check coming up this next January. You and me both, when is the last time we got an increase in our jobs? I do not have Medicare, did not want to carry as covered under hubs insurance.

Early retirement - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I opted for early retirement as did my husband. I am working just 20 hours a week to and plan to stay below the income limit. We are really enjoying ourselves. Unfortunately, we have to pay big bucks for insurance for a couple of years, but life is short and no one knows what the future brings so we decided to go ahead and enjoy.

Working and retirement - PR

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, I also work part-time, 18 hours per week, travel extensively and the money I make with the work now mostly goes for my trips (and my housekeeper as I do not care to do housework). My insurance is a perk of hubby's job, no money spent out there. I have heard stories of people retiring early and having to join the work force again due to their not thinking out how much they would need to live on. I think you can work as I do, still find time for the good times and the money to be able to spend for those times without pinching pennies. I hate doing that!
I retired early at 63 and here's why...SM - Old Anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I lost my inhouse job making about $35,000 per year and got an at-home MTSO job making barely $16,000. In order to pay my mortgage AND heat it and buy food, I needed the extra SS income. I don't give a flying fig if I go over the minimum of $14-something a little bit and lose a few dollars here and there. It beats being foreclosed on and becoming homeless. By the way the income limit for early SS for 2013 is going to be $16,000, so no problem with that because I'm doing SR for a MTSO. It's your money for the taking, so don't nickel and dime yourselves to death worrying about losing a few dollars. Take it when you need it.
Me, too . sm - Part-time soon
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm applying for early SS benefits in 2013. Will work part-time. Thought the limit was $15,000 something for 2013 though. Time to enjoy my life and not sit here 8 hours a day. 4 hours I could handle. Figured out how much I would "lose" by retiring early, and it really isn't that much when I calculated the years I would collect either way. But my husband has a pension from his long-time job and I also have a very small pension from my previous job. Need the extra $$ from SS to bring me back to what I was making before the zillion pay cuts we have had. I'm going to grab it before it disappears. You just don't know. There are lots of charts, etc., on the SS site to help you decided if it will work for you or not. Good luck and God Bless.
I turned 63 today, and although everyone has told me - not to do it, I might have to take early - SM
[ In Reply To ..]
SS benefits if I lose my job 2013, which is highly likely. I also can't seem to find another job in order to escape from MT.

I spent the morning researching qualifications for Pell grants, and I think at apx. $15K per year or less income in 2012, I probably qualify for 2013. I'm leery of taking an entire course for a new career, such as ultrasonographer or medical assistant, because I seriously doubt anyone would hire a newbie in those fields at age 65+. However, if I can get a good solid knowledge of the computer skills I lack - Powerpoint, Quickbooks, Excel - and maybe some advanced secretarial/bookkeeping courses, I should be able to land an entry-level administrative assistant job. I think I would be a good AA, especially working for just one person. But most of those jobs want you to be able to create flyers, presentations, etc., and do their bookkeeping.

I also think I would be a good veterinary receptionist, but would need specialized skills and/or experience to get into that, as well. Meanwhile, time is running out! I don't have 2 or 3 years to learn something new - my savings will run out in around May or June of 2013, and if I don't have a *real* job by then (screw this MT garbage!), I will really be up a creek.
Happy Birthday! sm - Part-Time Soon
[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to be a veterinary tech. Wish I had thought about that 10 years ago.
Take it when you need it? - can it take it at 43? hahaha NM
[ In Reply To ..]
I like that once at full retirement age you could go back - to earning whatever without penalty. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm eligible for early at 62 but full retirement age will be 66, and I expect, and would like, to continue working part time (up to 25 hours a week, but preferably 20 or less) after I "retire." Therefore, there would be 3 years, as I'm counting them, when I could be penalized for exceeding the $16K or so. After that, no penalty no matter how much I earned.

It'll probably hinge on insurance costs each year, and I'll keep working toward Medicare at 65 until and if they're low enough to allow.

I wish I also still enjoyed work. This is calm pleasant work from home, and back when I was decently paid I did enjoy it and didn't expect to be eyeing early retirement so longingly.

early retirement - sunflower

[ In Reply To ..]
I am starting the process. Will be 65 in May. I'll let you know more when I find out more. Have to go to SS in January. It is one way to go, for now.

My Plan - Old MT

[ In Reply To ..]
At this time, if you have any pre-existing condition (even a little hypertension), you can't get health insurance. You will in 2014, but I'm sure that price will be out of this world, and you'll HAVE to take it.

That being said, I'm sticking it out as MT for the insurance for now, but do plan on drawing SS in 5 years, when I'm 62, as I don't trust the money will be in the pot later.

Similar Messages:

Early Retirement 29 Days Away
Jun 03, 2013

39 work days left at this God for saken company.  Early retirement is more money before taxes even with the $200 penalty for taking early retirement.  No more 65 hour work weeks between 2 jobs.  Working part time, 25 hours, as a cashier and customer service rep in a gocery store and making more money than at MModal.    39 Work Days Left at MModal!!!!!!!!!  If not sooner if I can afford it!!!!! ...

15 More Work Days--Early Retirement Here I Come
Jul 02, 2013

15 days and early retirement.  Can't wait until I write my letter to MModal to tell them what I think of them--will not do any good and will probably give them a good laugh for the day.  Used to love this job, but now HATE it.  Social Security with penalty and working 25 hours making more money and will be the end of 65 hour work weeks to make ends meet.  VIRTUAL RETIREMENT PARTY!!!!!! ...

Retirement
Jun 14, 2011

Does anyone know what happens to our 401K? ...

About Retirement: Don't Do It If You Don't Have To
Apr 03, 2015

I'm not saying to stay on at a horrible job that you hate. Do something else if you need to, but retirement is not always as great as we've always told it would be. When I look around me, I see all the retired people wishing they had something to do, somewhere to go, and a little bit of money to spend. Their brains don't get a very good workout.  Stay active! Don't retire unless you have to. ...

Anyone Nearing Retirement At MQ
Jan 05, 2010

Just wondering if they offer a retirement packet.  ...

Retirement Plus Still Typing PT
Sep 19, 2011

MTs:  I presently work for an outsource company which has sold its MT division to another outsource company.   I will be 62 yo come January.  I am to the point now of seriously thinking about taking early retirement and only working PT 20 hours a week. If I do that I would actually be making more money that way than I would be working the 50+ hours a week I do now.   The thing that I am concerned about is I would have no health insurance unless I pay for it out of my own poc ...

Transcription Vs Retirement
Nov 21, 2011

Has anyone faced this problem?  Worked at home many years in radiation oncology then because of by out from hospital I was transfered to medical transcription department for training. When I showed up for training I was told that they "didn't quite know what to do with me". Showed up for daily training only to be sent home because volume was low. Eventually, realized that they didn't want to train me so I decided to retire. Is there any recourse? ...

Benefits And Retirement?
Oct 20, 2013

My minimal wage MT job is offering benefits and retirement account. Wouldn't getting benefits not to mention retirement account eat further into the small-sum paycheck I get now so that it's questionable whether I can pay for food or rent? The way they offer benefits, you think they pay a "normal" amount of money. By the way, is it required to enroll in healthcare benefits now that there's a new healthcare law? ...

Retirement Vs Mmodal
Aug 21, 2014

People talk about being on a fixed income as if it's a bad  thing. After 4 pay cuts in 10 years and now facing a 3 cpl cut plus our annual Christmas pay cut, I would absolutely LOVE  to be on a fixed income! ...

Mandatory Retirement?
Apr 02, 2015

Is there a mandatory retirement age for employees and/or ICs working remotely in HIM?  If so, is it federal, or does it differ by state?  Need input on this with particular regard to Ohio and Florida, please. Thanks so much. ...

Medical Transcription After Retirement
May 21, 2012

I transcribed for over 40 years, and when I do test now, I usually test up to 95%, and that is just not good enough even for a company I previously worked for that went outsourcing after freezing us out of work.  I really loved transcribing and would do it again in a heartbear if I could get a good, steady part-time source.  Any suggestions or recommendations?  Thank you.  I am in Glendale, AZ if that will help.  ...

Part Time And Saving For Retirement
Dec 17, 2009

I'm thinking of going part time at my job so I can do something else on the side.  However, I won't be able to have a 401K or PTO.  I get medical and dental benefits through my husband's work, so that doesn't matter.  For any part timers out there, what do you do to save for retirement?  ...

Shipwrecked, Here Are Pics Of Our Retirement Home
Jan 31, 2010

Here are some pictures of that beautiful little island I have chosen to live out the rest of my days.  Since you wanted to spend your remaining days there too, I thought you would want to see the pictures.  As you can see there are plenty of huts to choose from, I'm not sure which kind I want yet, but I am favoring one of those huts that are in the water.  I have also sent a picture of the island from an aerial view so you can see how small it is. I heard Bill gates gave aw ...

Huge Numbers Of MTs Have Recently Hit Retirement Age
May 18, 2010

I've heard for maybe 10 years now that right now, 2010, is when vast numbers of MTs were supposed to hit retirement age and quit work. What is retirement age? I don't want to retire, but when does a person really need to retire even if they don't want to? ...

Social Security Death/Retirement Benefits
Jul 10, 2010

My aunt is 63, still working, uncle 66, still working PT but receiving full SS benefits.  He has recently been diagnosed with cancer.  If he dies, and my aunt keeps working (she is working for the medical insurance), will she receive his death benefit, and will it be the same amout.  She is worried about this, well in advance (we hope) and I just wanted to ease her mind a little.  Thank you. ...

Shipwrecked, Bunion And Sunshine State, Our Retirement Home.
Feb 18, 2010

Hi ladies, I have no work again today, so I had some time to do this.  I live in the North and as I look out my window all I see is snow (measured in feet), and I really hate the winter.  I thought it would cheer me up to post more pics of our retirement home.  I must admit I did get a little carried away, and there will probably be another post with even more pics.  I have included in these pics different huts, water, beach and inland, but I could not resist posting some pi ...

What The $?#.NJA Already,its So Early.The Last
Jan 26, 2012

getting none of my usual primary, None.  And already this a.m. NJA.  Davenport sincere LOL,   blahblahblah.  this is rediculous ...

SS Paying Early
Jan 21, 2011

Waiting with baited breath for someone to repost all of the SS pays early testimonies.  cracking me up - its always good to laugh uncontrollably. anyone ever read a P&P manual? ignorance is bliss.  ...

I Know It Is A Little Early, But I Wanted To Be The First.
Dec 31, 2011

nm ...

I've Had It, Done, Over. I Got Up Early To Get Many Things Done Sm
Dec 28, 2012

since I found out last night that I am having unexpected overnight houseguests tonight.  In-laws suddenly don't have room....Not only is my house a mess from entertaining both xmas eve and xmas while trying to get in work which was nearly impossible because there wasn't any, but I was low on food, my son had a doc's appt for a cough that he has had for 3 weeks now, and we are expecting a snowstorm tomorrow.  I ran around like a wild woman al ...

So I Ran Out Of Work Early
Dec 30, 2012

When I looked at the status, there were a handful of accounts listed. Put in my Remedy ticket and messed around for a cpl hours..I've had work ever since and when I check the status there are a ton of accounts listed. Not that I am complaining, just seems weird ...

OMG! Paid A Day Early
Nov 28, 2013

I have my banking alerts set up so I get texted when there is activity in the account, and I woke up to a text saying I had a direct deposit! Payday a day early! (yes I did check the payroll calendar) Unfortunately, my next pay period will suck big time as there is no work and I doubt there will be all weekend. ...

Where's April And Early May?
May 11, 2015

Why isn't April showing up in the Archives?  I don't see anything from about May 1-5 either.  ...

Bashing Of SS And Yet They Pay Early!! No One Posts That! Nm
Jan 21, 2011

x ...

What Is Going On At Accentus?! I've Not Been Able To Work Since Early Wed.
Aug 17, 2012

According to my info, my only acct has asked the Accentus not to transcribe. QRS is on vacation. No real info from anyone else. Is this something that happens frequently at this company? You are just told to stop working & hang on? Obviously, people can't afford to be that casual. ...

It's So Nice To Go To Bed Early, Set Your Alarm,
Dec 27, 2012

force yourself to get up early on a freezing cold morning, make coffee, boot everything up, start all your programs, and then.......... NJA. ...

Early Social Security
Jun 29, 2013

How do you go about getting early SS??  How early can you get it.  I am in my 50's so is that too early?  I remember my mom did that but she was older and she still worked 3 days a week and as long as she kept under a certain amount she was allowed to do both. ...

Too Early For Miller Time
Nov 27, 2014

Coffee anyone? ...

Thanks For Making Us All Get Up Early And Ruin Our New
Jan 01, 2015

Year's Eve knowing work was low & we were overscheduled.......... ...

I Believe The Lock-out Has Started Early. Just Got NJA 4 Minutes
Mar 08, 2010

to go in my shift and there are plenty of jobs on the backlog on all my accounts.  If this is how it works --I dont like it.  I had to take a little bit longer lunch break and was going to work a little extra--- guess not -LOL! Anyone else had this today? ...