A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Max frustration - sm

Posted: Jul 31, 2014

I'm so frustrated I thought TTS was going to be better, I started on a new account and the first month it was wonderful, good dictators, mostly typing, good QA scores.  Now I'm getting crappy QA, crappy dictators and my pay is taking a nosedive.  I didn't know when I started that Nuance was going to do the QC on TTS, either, that would've made me turn tail and run. I started out doing a lot of ops and haven't seen an op in ages. They're all the same.

everyone warned you- its all over the boards - tts is scared of nuance

[ In Reply To ..]
it is crazy. the owner is completely insane. If she calls you about your QA dropping and she is in the mood, she will fire you w/o just cause. I think she has no business running a business honestly.

How can she be scared of Nuance when they have given her the work and ousted KS. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance is giving TTS the work for now. Then try and follow the paper trail to India after 90 days.

Nuance will jerk it away when - laidoffagain

[ In Reply To ..]
they feel like it. I was just let go AGAIN because of Nuance for the same reason from TTS's sister MTSO because Nuance had contracted the work to the MTSO and then jerked it back when it was trained on VR. Thus, OOW for US-likely going to India. Nuance is a snake in tall grass, so you better watch it with these MTSO that contract work from them, cause it is TEMPORARY!
who is TTS's sister MTSO. I never knew they had one. - wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
you can email me if you don't want to post a name
MTSOs and Nuance - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Several years ago there was a group of about 20-30 MTSOs who subcontracted work from Nuance. That was before Nuance started Nuance Transcription Services (NTS), which changed everything in the industry. They farmed this work out to companies they called "partners", then they turned around as their "competitor" and did everything they could to put them out of business. Over the last few years, only a few of those companies have survived without being bought out or close their doors because Nuance was the big bad wolf. TTS is one of the few companies remaining in that relationship with Nuance, but they'd better watch out. Between the unreasonable QA audits and merely using the US MTs to train the speech engine, it's a no-win for any MTSO. Nasty Nuance has done more to destroy this industry than any other single employer. But hospitals have to keep signing up because of their technology. Again, they're the big bad wolf and control the industry.
Anon is exactly right about the so called "sister" - laidoffagain
[ In Reply To ..]
MTSOs I refer to. TTS is one of the last left to contract work from Nuance, but Nuance pulls the strings. They audit behind TTS QA (and we all know what a nightmare Nuance QA is), they give them how much work they want to and when, and most of the time it is all temporary until Nuance decides to jerk it back (usually once speech engine trained) and send it to India or their own work force. Essentially, any MT on a Nuance generated account with an MTSO and the MTSO themselves are Nuance employees and are at their mercy, whether it be TTS or any other MTSO, although TTS is about the only one left doing contract work-the rest have been depleted. Unfortunately, the MT doesn't know what accounts are Nuance "contracts" until they are no longer needed to work it.

As anon states, it is a "no win" situation, especially for the MT, and the more staffed and organized in transcription Nuance gets, the less work any of the MTSOs/MTs are going to get from Nuance. They are greedy and want it all.

So, if you are going to work for an MTSO, ask them initially in the interview if they contract work from Nuance and if so how much, and make sure you DON'T work on those accounts, because it will be temporary-guaranteed!
Former "partners" with Dictaphone/Nuance - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Remember these names: Encompass, Alpha, TransTech, TTS, Superior Global, Optiscript, Global Information Systems (GIS), Intermountain, and OSI. I think all have either been bought out or closed except for TTS and Optiscript, and I believe TTS is the only one still doing work for Nuance. That should tell you something.
Optiscript just laid off a lot because of Nuance... TTS is next - tired of nuance
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I do not usually read the TTS threads because it seems to be sm - Scary
[ In Reply To ..]
one side against the other, fighting about things I do not know anything about, but this is scary. I have never worked for Nuance, but from what I have heard, it is nothing I want. I'm currently at Synernet and things are not so rosy there, but it looks like there may soon be no other options. Encompass was great -- decent line rate and good benefits -- and was sad to see them go. Same for Optiscript if they bite the dust. I kick myself for not staying in school 100 years ago so at least I would have options. :(
Anon-Optiscript is no longer a Nuance partner as of - Intheknow
[ In Reply To ..]
2 weeks ago when they lost their last Nuance-generated account back to Nuance, which was their biggest, and then let some MTs go due to lack of work, even if they weren't on the account lost (just a way to weed out and keep only the best or those with a CMT cause that is what they want). But, not a big deal because most of the accounts they have left (only 4 or 5) don't have any work, so wasn't working anyway. Opti is on the way out too, and I will watch for that to happen in the near future. Good Riddens!

As to working for another MTSO, I will inquire at interview if any of their accounts are Nuance accounts and/or how stable the accounts they have are-how much work a day, etc., because I am sick of starting over. We have rights too and I want to know this information for my own stability. If they don't want to give it, there is a reason and I don't want to work for them then.

If we would just start sticking up for ourselves regarding work, wages, etc. maybe we could turn this mess around. So, I am taking a stand and I WILL CHOOSE WHO I WORK FOR!
I was one laid off as well, but isnt it funny now - sm - laidoff too
[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance is "hiring" and even giving a huge bonus. I am sure it is for the account they stolen from optiscript. You wont want that account if you are paid peanuts. it was a hard account and worth way more than 6/4 or whatever they pay.
Yep-it was bad alright-typical service junk! - laidoffagain
[ In Reply To ..]
Like I said, they can have it-Good Riddens! My beef is the way they did the RIF (reduction in force as they called it) They literally explained that they put us on a score system, using that handy quarterly report they came up with for scoring by production (which includes time actually working like TTS does), attendance, how much work sent to QA, QA scores (monthly-year, I said monthly QA) and a few other factors, and kept the highest scores and got rid of the lower scores. Well, that to me is unfair, I worked hard for Opti and was always there when I was supposed to be, just to get told I didn't need to work today (great, I have no life so that's fine to be on-call for you), or for the account to be so low there wasn't enough work so have to flex, and just because I am not the fastest car on the road, I get let go. NICE! To me, that is discrimination! So, I bust my ars for them and make sure I do everything right, only to be told, oops, sorry, but you are not the best ranking, so goodbye! My sentiments exactly-GOODBYE!
they didnt really give me a reason, I had high production and high QA. - just wasnt there long
[ In Reply To ..]
I just hate that they could have told us when they knew they were going to lose the account instead of one day say, hey we lost the account. They knew.
They used to say they they felt employees were like family. nm - Perhaps they meant the Manson family
[ In Reply To ..]
lol
NUANCE JUST LOST HUGE SET OF ACCOUNTS, TOO! - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
The MTs on that set of accounts are being put on many other accounts. It's a nightmare!!! They're losing MTs every single day, too! No one wants to work there because they steal MT wages and treat them like pond scum.
Nuance - It is wonderful to see karma in action, NM
[ In Reply To ..]

she is scared to have work jerked away from her - It has happened to other companies

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance is overly strict when it comes to QA- the account is "not verbatim" but yet they count off it is isn't verbatim, etc. The company looks for any way to jerk money away from the MTSOs.

I keep saying - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
...I keep saying (and a lot of us keep saying) that if something is good in this biz, it won't last.

Those who keep having hope, please do yourself a favor and resign yourself to the fact that you can't win. Then make your decision to stay in MT from there. If you stay, get rid of the hope. You're just setting yourself up for disasterous emotional upset.

End of story. End of MT for me. I left the career completely.

TTS-You're simply training the SR engine to offshore - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
It's the Nuance MO: American MTs train the SR engine so it can be offshored. TTS is part of that strategy unfortunately.

Interesting concept that we train the system - then India gets the cream

[ In Reply To ..]
I always wondered why at TTS it was so good for a few months and then dropped out of sight and was nasty.. This would explain it.

Yes, you will be left only - with the garbage

[ In Reply To ..]
that the speech engine cannot ever train because it is just so bad. What you are experiencing now is what I had the very short time I was there, except I never had any of the good work. I was told that I would have a nice account by the recruiter, but once hired, was told that account was already staffed and put me on horrible account, and even with that always ran out of work. Never made more than minimum wage the entire time. Left as soon as I had another offer.

So where are all the cheerleaders now telling us all how much money they make, how they have worked there for years and how much they love it???
TTS is ALWAYS hiring. The turnover there is extremely high. nm. - Punky B.
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
I guess us cheerleaders just get tired of hearing just - the bad from your point of view
[ In Reply To ..]
I work on 1 account and the VR there is excellent. I have not made just minimum wage, never. I think probably you did because just not good enough to make a good salary. Oh, BTW, Tuesday for my first hour I made $32.00. Hardly minimum, huh? I can say love about as much as any place I would work for now, just worked so long am not in "love" with a job now days.
make up your mind - is it the VR or the MT?
[ In Reply To ..]
you have one account with excellent VR and make great money, but the people who get multiple accounts full of crappy VR just aren't good enough to cut it? You need to pick one or the other.
Can only speak for myself- ok will choose - Others just cannot hack it
[ In Reply To ..]
Now that should take care of that.
then maybe you should volunteer for - more difficult work
[ In Reply To ..]
seeing as how you are so superior? That's what lead transcriptionists do. The harder work.
Not lead, not superior but can hold up my - end and make good money also
[ In Reply To ..]
If you would stop and think, I doubt any MT now has easy work with the ESLs that we have. Someone asked for the cheerleader so here tis. If you cannot do, don't like, get another job. Simple.
More like also, not normal, thus ruins it for normal people. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Gloater--no need to be so crass. Glory Oskie Zero to you. Bottom line is the truth, and you definitely are far from the normal truth of what is happening. Keep cheering for yourself.
but I'd hate for you to be wasting your skills - you know?
[ In Reply To ..]
On that cake account? I mean you don't want to get rusty do you? Oh but now you're saying you're not superior and it's not a cake account. Oh gosh this is confusing.
You ask for cheerleader and then when you get - one all you want to do is try to put down
[ In Reply To ..]
I have no worries about getting rusty at all. I know the account. You are the only one confused, not me. Do well, like the job ok, if I didn't sure would not be here complaining, would take some action.
If you're the cheerleader - I need a new team
[ In Reply To ..]
seems like your cheer is "You can't hack it! Get a new job! Rah! Rah! Rah!"

IndianDictatorsYouWouldThink - WouldGoToIndiaMTs

[ In Reply To ..]
Seems that the Indian MTs would be pretty good at doing "Indian MT." IMHO, the domestic US dictators are more difficult to do than the foreign ones. Many could give a hoot how they sound, not all of course. The ESLs for the most part put forth more effort to be understood.

That is only in theory also. Think again. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked with an East Indian MT and they would bombard her with all the difficult dictators. She was very frustrated and asked why they would even think she could understand them either!! She put that 'theory' to rest for me many years ago.

The offshoring sends them the easy work because they pay them cheaper wages so they can line their pockets. That's the name of Nuance.

only if they dictate in their native language - and not broken English. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Not true - nevermind

[ In Reply To ..]
While this may have happened in the past, this is not a correct statement now. TTS has had many of their accounts long before Nuance ever was a name. I have had same 2 accounts for 5+ years. Speak only what you know is true and not what you don't....which seems to be a lot!

Am in agreement with you, have had the same - ccount for over 5 years and unchanged

[ In Reply To ..]
Like you said, Nuance not even on the horizon when I started my account.
You don't necessarily know what name Nuance was operating under. - Valerie
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Have been there at TTS long enough to know - Nuance was not even spoken of then
[ In Reply To ..]
Am not worried one little bit about Nuance or TTS for that matter. I have lost 2 jobs in the past to outsourcing so nothing and I mean nothing would cause any more shock at this time. If a job goes, it does and there is nothing that I can do about it and so I just go with the flow.

Similar Messages:

Frustration Already
Sep 08, 2010

First week, not going well for at-home MT. Got some feedback on files--and blank inserts! I cannot understand the dictators. I asked if QA office personnel were having a hard time literally hearing and understanding dictators also, and was told, "no." (They have templates as well as more ppl listening, too.) They believe, it is a matter of not understanding the terms. But, even if a term IS garbled in sentences--how can ya hear to know whether the term would give me a problem or not? Then, to ...

NJA Frustration
Dec 08, 2011

Does this happen to anybody else?  I get NJA and then wait 13 minutes and get a job.  Aren't we supposed to wait 15 minutes to open a ticket?  It happened today and yesterday multiple times.  It really eats into my lines and breaks my rhythm.  I absolutely do not believe this is a coincidence.  Yes I understand the work is drying up or we have new MTs on the accounts, but geez, if there is no work, I'd rather be looking for another job.  What do ...

Frustration
Aug 20, 2012

I am so frustrated and discouraged about finding work right now.  A company I contracted for owes me thousands of dollars, have not seen a penny.  In small claims court right now.  I get turned down for every transcription job, not enough experience.  I am as are many of you, a hard worker.  I have two little girls I have to support.  Right now I am lost and don't know what to do.  This industry is crap.  Sometimes I just wish I had a normal job.  ...

QA Frustration
Aug 15, 2013

Okay, I pulled in an address from the database that spacing was not correct.  I did not change it and was "dinged." My bad for not watching but whoever entered it should have been more cognizant that the spacing was bad.  NEVER trust pre-entered information because you do not know who entered it. ...

Frustration With Nuance
Dec 22, 2011

It is almost the end of December and we (QA) still do not know how much we will be getting paid with Nuance.  We keep hearing that the information is being compiled! Really????  Was our pay an afterthought??  Oh, that's right, we need to figure out how much we are paying them, so we need to compile the information!  Compile what??  I am sure they have the information so what is the point in making us wait!!!!????  I am so annoyed!!!!!!! ...

I Can Understand All The Frustration Being A MT Is Doing. S/m
Jun 27, 2012

I busted my butt for 2-week pay period.  Looked up EVERYTHING.  Did my best.  Not only was my paycheck something I'd use to line the bird's cage, but my bonus pay was......are you ready?.........$38.64.   Big friggin whoop.   So I can understand the attitudes of you who are not afraid to bitch.  I'm right there with you as well as the others who are afraid to open their mouths. The only ones sticking up for this mistreatment are the newbies.&nb ...

Frustration In Spades
Sep 29, 2012

I am so frustrated at mmodal that I am literally tearing my hair out.  All day I have done MRs with dictators who use cell phones that have the world's crappiest reception, have gone through quite a few charts where the dictator is chomping and eating not to mention snorting, belching, etc, etc.  These people are the rudest people I have ever heard!!!  And I haven't even mentioned those with accents.  I'm about ready to throw in the towel.  ...

Frustration Continues
Feb 24, 2013

Working my "regular" schedule today.  So far 3.68 out of 8 hours in.  Wondering if there are fellow co-workers who have jumped in.  I have not jumped in to take work away from others.  I wish we could all work together.  YES, I too have financial obligations and struggle with finances.  Please do not shoot the messenger. ...

Beyond Anger/frustration
Mar 12, 2013

I strongly dislike tech support!!!!!!!!!!  Last job for the night.  It was 931 long.  Went to upload and got an error message tellling me it failed to upload.  DUH!  Jerked around by tech support for 15 minutes.  Consequently, the job was lost and I lost all those lines.  This job is hard enough to get lines without this.  In fact, this is the second time today that it has happened.  The last time I got "employee down time."  I am afraid this is ...

Frustration And Anger Over This Job Might Literally Be Killing Me.
Apr 02, 2015

I once took great pride in the practice of medical transcription.  Funny that we didn't call ourselves "editors" then, because the fact is that we really were editors in much more of the true sense of that word than we are now.  A true editor can take garbage, stomp it, filter it, ferment it, age it, and ultimately bring forth a bottle of delicious wine from it. This, we did also.  From garbage dictations, we used superior language skills, a knowledge of many subjects, skill ...

Oh The Frustration. We Are Asked To Work Extra All Weekend Sm
Dec 08, 2012

long with OT approved and this being a regular workday for me, I have nothing!!!  On top of it, we are expected to meet our minimum line counts and work our minimum hours, but how is one to do that when there is no work.  I refuse to sit here 24/7 to get my PT hours in, if that is even possible right now.  It's bad enough not making any money but then to be told that we have to meet our line counts and hours or else.....Actually, I think I would really appreciate the "or else ...