A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wow! Transcend offered on 8.5 cpl for heavy ESL acute care with 30 years exp. - delores

Posted: Oct 28, 2009

nm

same here - 7DayMT

[ In Reply To ..]
with half of that experience.

Are these MDI-MA accounts Transcend hiring for since they are all on Bayscribe and straight typing? - cmt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

WOW, & guessing .. you turned them down right.? - .

[ In Reply To ..]
If MTs keep accepting these low rates, they WILL keep offering them.

As one recruiter said, this is the higher industry standard (SoftScript but theire base was 8)

No- I need the job, the money, etc.- Need I say more. - cmt

[ In Reply To ..]
This would supplement my income.

And therein lies the problem with the MT industry. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
When you take low rates, it hurts us all. There are plenty of jobs out there - you don't have to settle for ridiculously low wages if you have experience.
To me sounds like a little more than most paying now - Been around the block
[ In Reply To ..]
Unless you are going out trying to get your own accounts, the majority of jobs seem to be going with the 8 cents for regular and 4 cents for VR. There are lower rates accepted by others. I have seen where some newbies working for free just to get the experience.
8.5 for heavy ESL and 30 yrs exp is too low. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
And pray tell where are these plenty of jobs? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They all are on the low paying side. How about IC work for 3 cpl, paying your own taxes, insurance, and maybe putting food on the table. Can it be done?
There are tons of job sites with plenty of MT jobs. - You just have to look.
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Yes, you're right - there ARE plenty of jobs - like, for instance...sm - Tons of jobs?
[ In Reply To ..]
Transcend who is always hiring and has as many negative posts about them. Or maybe Focus Infomatic or SoftScript - there are lots of jobs - just not ones that anyone would ever want!!!!!
lots of jobs with average or worse pay - 7DayMT
[ In Reply To ..]
If there are companies that pay more they are probably not advertising on the boards.
these plenty of jobs are taken and held onto tightly. usually not on this job board, too. NM - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Easy for you to say- There may be plenty of jobs out there, but plenty of them are not hiring for wh - cmt
[ In Reply To ..]
You may not be a single parent with mouths to feed, mortgage to pay, doctor bills, school bills, etc.
Again, what in the world does being a single parent have to do with anything? - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
We ALL have bills. You are no different from me or anyone else because of your either desire to have children and not marry or your divorce after you have had children. Falling into that, oh me, I am single, does not anyone owe me something.
Money honey. One income versus two. - cmt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Again, hearing denotes wanting someone to feel sorry for you - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
I was not single, was divorced, different status (remember filling out forms they have single, married, divorced, widowed)- ok I raised children on my own, all by myself and never had to state I was single in order to have people feel like I was needy. If fact, when married again I did it all- husband was sick and on dialysis but no one knew. I had a husband but second income??? Everything is not like it may look.
You sound very bitter - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because you don't tell people about your situation does not make you superior to anybody else. Likewise, stating why you take a job does not mean you're asking for a pitty party. Don't be so judgemental, Lynne. We all do what we have to do to survive.
Anytime and I mean anytime I hear a person saying - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a single mother I find the next thing is being hit up for something, at very low cost or no cost at all. It is like a term of entitlement to most that use it. You never hear other marital statused people going around saying I am a married parent or I am a divorced parent but how many times, tell the truth, do you hear that statement about being a single parent. Makes me want to PVT.
Oh, excuse me, I meant I am a divorced parent- still single parent though. - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Got a question for you then - L
[ In Reply To ..]
When you fill out a form, say for a doctor's office on first visit, do you choose single, married, divorced or widowed or do you choose both single and divorced? I think you fit 1 category and not two.
Can you just stop this petty junk already? Making us all - look bad. Who even cares? NM
[ In Reply To ..]
GOI and MO.
My sympathies, Lynn - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I am single with one income too. Taking care of children, parents and trying to pay bills, etc... some people have never had it that hard, because they had someone to fall back on. I feel your pain. I have been there, and it hurts. Thank God I'm on the other side of that now and approaching retirement.
Single parent here - That would be me
[ In Reply To ..]
Whoooaaa why is this turning into an argument. I am the sole support of my family and it's really really hard with MT work lately. If you have a husband but he doesn't work, you are in the same boat. I don't think the poster was looking for sympathy or a handout!!!! She was looking for a decent wage as AM I AND I JUST TYPED FOR AN HOUR AND MADE LESS THAN A DOLLAR.........on a new account I accepted. I'm ready to blow my brains out and that is no joke. I'm looking for
one income vs two? - cj
[ In Reply To ..]
Just because someone is married doesn't mean there are two incomes in the house, you know. A lot of married people have spouses who are unemployed, cannot or do not work. Then it is just one MORE person to take care of with just one income.
Single or married - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
what a silly question! Regardless of your marital status, you have the same basic needs and debts. You have housing, food, clothing, medical, etc., etc., etc. If you're married with two incomes, then of course it's easier to pay for these things than if you're a single income family. It makes no difference here if you're married or single. The real issue here is one or two incomes in the household and being able to pay for necessities.
Exactly - 7DayMT
[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps we should just say "single income family" instead of single mother...as some married people also live on a single income. And for whatever reason a family lives on a single income, must try to make enough money to get close to what you'd make as a double-income family. Does it not also depend on the cost of living in your area? Where I live, rents for 2-bedroom apartments are in the $1100-1500 range. And these days, that is often more than half a month's pay (if I had only one job). So I work for 8.5 (which seems pretty standard) to 9, work weekends and late shifts, and keep my eyes open for jobs.
7DayMT, now that I could agree with - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
That single income family would make more sense and not sound as someone wanting a handout. As a woman I had to provide for 6 people at 1 time, husband on disability and my kids and 2 of his. That is all in the past but I never got a handout nor did I want to.
No one is asking for a handout- just a job - delores
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
WHERE did she ask for a handout? - Riddle us this?
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually much more tired of hearing your own sob story! Wanna hear mine now?
Not silly, just responding to the person saying what if you are a single person - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
Like single has anything at all to do with being able to live. I was married, did not have 2 incomes and being married does not guarantee you an extra income. When I was divorced I had enough money to pay for the children I brought into the world, on my own.
What are you asking for.... a pat on the back! - dd
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
No, already got that but thanks! - Lynne
[ In Reply To ..]
b
I never saw such petty dialogue on this board before - Sally Forth
[ In Reply To ..]
This thread was about jobs, and now you people have become so anal retentive that you're griping about a single mom stating her case. If there are good jobs out there, why are you not transcribing? Grow up. If you don't have something good to say, keep the lips shut.
I agree with that. For someone who doesn't talk about it, sure - doing a lot of talking about it here. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I hear more "woe-is-me" seeping from those posts than from the one saying she's a single parent!
Being married means possible 2 incomes whereas single parent - usually means 1 income. sm
[ In Reply To ..]
What's the big deal with mentioning that? I didn't hear the person asking for anything or acting entitled but rather explaining, as asked, why they need to work even if it means 8.5 cpl. There are also plenty of married folks who act entitled (I have 5 kids & bills wah-wah) so the door swings both ways all the way around. I mean, really? We're so PC about every little thing and now you can't even mention you're a single parent? Live and let live. It's not like anyone here, single or otherwise, is going to ask Lynnie for any freebies! Jeesh!
But you better believe, others do - L
[ In Reply To ..]
By starting off, I am a single mother.
So you paint everyone with that brush? That's sad and - discriminatory. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
How do you know she isn't a very hard working person herself? She's here so she probably works as a fellow MT, yet you choose to judge her without even knowing her. How would you like if someone did that to you?
I was a SINGLE PARENT and proud of it. No handouts needed at all - Fingers
[ In Reply To ..]
Lynne must have a hangup with that term. Only her opinion, which does not mean a thing to anyone. It is quite rude for her to ridule anyone for using the term. I was a single parent, bragged about it, proud of it, and did not need a handout from anyone.

It simply depends on what the "single parent" wants that term to portray. In my case it was in fact just that. It means there was no Dad in my kids lives, at all. It means I took care of them on my own, financially, physically, etc. It means I am busy. It means I do not have time for volunteer work, car pools, lunches, and meeting friends for happy hour. I was very proud of myself. Single parents don't need your pity or handouts, just understanding.
yes that is how it is - 7DayMT
[ In Reply To ..]
single parent by civorce, widowhood or choice.. busy.. and most that I know not wanting any handouts.
These are issues most MTs have - gourdpainter
[ In Reply To ..]
House notes, car notes, utilities, food, kids. If you take low pay today what about tomorrow when someone with those same needs is willing to do the same work for say 10% less. See where this can (and is) going?
So, in the meantime while waiting for a 9-10 cpl job do I take Medicaid state assistance? - mt
[ In Reply To ..]
I will hold on to the 8.5 cpl until I find something better. I am continuing to look. I might also add that is why most of the low paying companies are always hiring because when the MTs find something paying more cpl they leave.
Here we go again - Playing the kids card
[ In Reply To ..]
I am a lead and if I had a dime for every MT who played the "my kids this, my kids that" card to get out of doing work or the "I'm a single mom, blah blah blah" card every time they get a bad QA review to keep from getting in trouble, I would be living in Monaco.
AM SO glad you said this, others should read - Hear all the time
[ In Reply To ..]
When I said it above, lots wanted to tar and feather. You, on the other hand, saying exactly the same.
Pay - Money, money
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I am a young single lady and just picked up a job at 8.5 cents a line with 10 years experience and even I think it is rather low and that's with pretty much no bills outside of housing and food. For right now as the poster with 30 years experienced posted, it is a job and for now you just take what you can get because it is better than nothing coming in and you just do the best that you can. So far the work seems okay, but I am already thinking 6 months out and where I want to be financially and if I do not need to keep looking.
Taking low rates - NorCalMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm afraid I have to agree. I held out until I could make at least 9 and specifically asked before hiring the potential to make more down the road; they said yes so I grabbed it. It's difficult to restrain sometimes because we feel forced to desperateness but it does and will help us all if we all group together and get these rates higher, if only it's a 1/2 penny at a time.
Problem with MT industry? - Oh REALLY?
[ In Reply To ..]
When, pray tell,was the last time you applied for and were interviewed by any companies? This is NOT the problem of the MT, ma'am. It is the problem of the economy and GREEDY MTSOs. However, if you need a job to pay the bills, "hurting us all" really doesn't play into the scenario. Not in this economy and probably not any time in the near future!

The only other thing you can do to combat it is to nicely "encourage" them to give you better pay, but the percentages are not high for success at this time!

Plenty of jobs out there? Apparently you haven't - been looking lately! NM
[ In Reply To ..]
XX

You have to do what - you have to do

[ In Reply To ..]
The 8.5 cpl is too bad considering some of the rates that have been floating around on this board lately.

Good luck
correction - I wanted to say..
[ In Reply To ..]
The 8.5 cpl in NOT too bad....

Anyone who accepts a job with Transcend... please read - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
No, I'm NOT going to tell you not to do it; I will instead tell you congratulations and welcome aboard. I am one of that rare breed that actually LIKES working for Transcend.

If anyone has been influenced by my recommendation of Transcend as a good place to work... please feel free to reply to me via e-mail. I'd be happy to answer any what's-it-really-like questions you might have.

Is your line rate 8.5 cpl too? - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

How long have you worked for Transcend? nm - wondering

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Been with Transcend since April 1, 2009, not going to discuss my own line rate, but... - CrankyBeach

[ In Reply To ..]
... 8.5 cpl should perhaps be looked upon as a starting point.

If one is able to show oneself as a hard-working, reliable, highly-skilled team player, it's possible that there might be room for re-negotiation later. But you'd have to prove yourself first.

Think about it. A prospective employee might have an impressive resume, but until a company actually has a chance to see how they work out in real life, what their skill level really is, how well they produce, how fast they learn new material (because there is ALWAYS new material, I've been at this for 37 years and I've already learned a couple of new words today), how well they play with others, etc... well. I'm sure you can see the picture.

No, that doesn't mean I LIKE the idea of starting at 8.5 CPL any better than anyone else does... but unless one has the personal wiggle-room to hold out and keep looking for something that starts at a higher rate, it is what it is. Some of us have gotten used to eating regularly, and some of us don't have other incomes in the household to tide us over.

Again... my usual offer stands open. Anyone who has more questions about what it's really like to work for Transcend, I am happy to respond via e-mail, if you care to contact me.

Low starting point and low staying point. They - Lettie

[ In Reply To ..]
don't give raises. And if that high ESL account is in Texas, you are way, way underpaid at 8.5.
They do too give raises, sometimes. - Anonymous Transcender
[ In Reply To ..]
It depends. A former co-worker gave notice she was leaving, to take a (non-MT) job that paid better. She was offered 10 cpl to stay.

Because I knew her, I can tell you she was reliable, hard-working, and easy to get along with. I would guess that if she had been a pain in the @$$ and not good at her job, she wouldn't have gotten that offer.

So it depends on who's doing the asking, whether raises happen or not.
To get a raise, you have to get another job and give - Lettie
[ In Reply To ..]
notice? Being reliable, hard-working and easy to get along with is not going to get you that raise. Giving notice should not be the key to get that raise.

Also, Transcend, money-hungry as they are, has cut their referral from $500 to $250.

They are very tight with their purse strings.

rate - anony

[ In Reply To ..]
Lucky for you to get 8.5, I sure am not.

sent an email - waiting for a reply

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks

Similar Messages:

Acute Care - What Does Acute Care Consist Of?
Apr 08, 2010

I know this is a really stupid question but, what does acute care consist of?  What types of reports are acute care?  I understand that it is basically emergency type of care or short-term care, but exactly what types of reports would you be transcribing? TIA ...

Offered 8 Cpl At SoftScript For 20 Years Experience.
Jan 05, 2011

Has anyone said that was not enough and have them counter offer with more?  I don't plan on working for SS (I saw way too many complaints on the other board about them), but what about future offers which I suspect will not be any higher?  I saw on the resume board what I consider way too many willing to work for 7 cpl with plenty of experience.  Is it likely they will pay more when others are willing to work for so much less?  And many of these 7 cpl were IC.  Al ...

How Do You Get Into Acute Care?
Dec 29, 2009

Alot of the job listings ask for 5+ years in this area, so how do you get into it in the first place? I don't mind starting at the bottom and moving up... But where is the bottom? I had a job with a company but they would not pay me. So now I am trying to look for a job again and not many people wantt o hire someone that does not have alot of experience. So.. How do you get into a specialty?? ...

Acute Care! Acute Care! Acute Care!
Oct 04, 2010

That's it!  I've had it with transcription companies that only offer acute care transcription and don't pay you anything for it anyway!  That if you don't have acute care experience or been lucky enough to obtain it.  SOL.  I'm changing my profession. ...

WOW, Just Saw An Ad For 0.6 CPL For ACUTE CARE! (sm)
Dec 29, 2010

I truly hope that no one applies for this job.  That is even beyond ridiculous for clinic work! ...

Why Does Acute Care Have More ESL?
Nov 10, 2012

I transcribe both clinic and some acute care, and the acute care that I transcribe has a higher percentage of ESL dictators.  It seems like that is typical for acute care.  Why is that?  Are the ESL doctors drawn more to being hospitalists? ...

Ped Vs Acute Care
Sep 26, 2013

What is the difference between ped and regular adult acute care transription?  I am being asked if I have ped experience but wouldn't they be the same?   ...

Acute Care?
Sep 23, 2014

As a relative newbie MT, I'm not certain what "acute care" means. Does it mean basically all reports that are from doctors in the hospital setting? That is, would any hospital operative note, hospital progress note, and all discharge summaries be considered "acute care"? I know a clinic note is basically a note by an outpatient doctor, right? And it's basically about more minor medical problems albeit could be chronic rather than "acute." ...

What Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 02, 2009

What is acute care experience?  Do you work for the hospital? I am sooo green to MT! Appreciate advice about this. Still waiting to start the AIM  MT internship. Anyone done it?   Diane in Vermont   ...

Help With Radiology And Acute Care
Dec 26, 2009

Happy Christmas everyone!  I am looking after 2 accounts over Christmas, one Radiology and one Acute Care, neither of which I have any experience of!  Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some good websites that would give me vocabulary lists or a "crash course" on these topics?!  ...

Working As An MT Acute Care...
Feb 22, 2010

I completed my education with Everett Community College in their Career Step program for MT training in Dec. 2006.  I have been working ever since in a rehab/therapy clinic.  I am the only one who does the transcription for 7 therapists and it is a rather busy office.  I have wanted to find work doing hospital transcription and certainly not from lack of trying to locate work on my part.  What frustrates me is that I was told by my instructors that I should be able to find su ...

Can A Clinical MT Ever Be An Acute Care MT
Apr 13, 2010

How long does it take for a clinical MT to become an acute care MT, or I am losing my mind even trying?  I have an interview with WalMart today and am actually considering it.... my confidence is down the toilet.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. ...

Getting Acute Care Experience
May 26, 2010

I have been an MT for 11 years and am wanting to expand my knowledge base beyond the realm of radiology. I have been applying for acute care positions but I am not even given the opportunity to test most of the time because I don't have any acute care experience. I would like to know what I would have to do in order to get some acute care experience behind me so that I can become eligible to apply for and test for acute care positions. Any information anyone has on this would be most a ...

Radiology Vs Acute Care
Jun 06, 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can make more money doing Radiology or Acute Care? ...

Any Clinic MTs Try For An Acute Care Job...
Jun 04, 2010

And get hired? Opportunites are limited with clinic work, which is all I have experience with, but nobody will give me a chance. Should I apply for acute care positions anyway? Anyone MTs who only did clinic work have any stories about breaking into it? ...

Learning Acute Care
Jul 25, 2010

I have been doing clinics for 10 years.  Now I am learning acute care and it is very tough.  Lots of doctors and no time to learn each one of them.  Very tough.  Does it usually take a long time to learn this.  They say I am doing great, but lots of blanks! ...

What Categorizes Acute Care? 
Dec 28, 2010

What categorizes acute care?  I mean i have typed clinic notes for family practices and have done endocrinology ( i have not been an MT long and am still learning the lingo). when they say looking for acute care experience, what does that consist of?   thanks guys!! ...

TransTech Acute Care?
Aug 11, 2011

I see that TransTech just placed an ad for acute care MTs.   I was hoping that someone who currently works there or has worked for them in the past could share how your experience was.   Do you run out of work a lot?   Are they an overall good company to work for and treat their MTs well?   I remember reading in the distant past that a lot of people there were running out of work a lot.   Is this still an issue or a thing of the past?  Any feedback on this company w ...

Does Nuance Pay More For Acute Care
Dec 06, 2011

. ...

What Is Considered Acute Care?
Dec 21, 2011

Are things like EEG, EMG, EGD, inpatient H&P, discharge summary, inpatient consults, neonatology, and ED reports considered acute care?   ...

Tier 2 For Acute Care
Mar 28, 2012

Can anyone tell me the cpl range for a Tier 2 acute care MT at M*Modal? I was given an offer and just wanted to see if it is typical. Thanks. ...

Everyone Wants Acute Care Experience, But...
Jul 28, 2012

...nobody is willing to hire you so you can GET that experience!!!   So, short of lying on your resume, how exactly does one go about this??  And what is so special about AC experience anyways???   ...

How To Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 01, 2012

Can someone please tell me how to get acute care experience? ...

How Do You Get Acute Care Experience?
Aug 06, 2012

I would love to know how you get acute care experience when no one will give you the opportunity without it. I am good at what I do and work hard. I am very frustrated because my current job went to voice recognition (which I am sure everyone is on that boat with me). My pay has been cut in half and I am looking for extra work but no one will look at me without acute care experience. Does anyone have any suggestion?  ...

Why Can't I Work In Acute Care?
Oct 03, 2012

I want to work in acute care and have transcribed for almost 30 years. I know I can do it. Why can't I find someone who will hire me and give me a chance since there are so many acute care transcription jobs out there? I have good experience in orthopedics and a good work ethic. Just wondering. ...

What Exactly Is Acute Care Experience?
Nov 09, 2012

I feel dumb asking this, but I have done many types of transcription and I'm wondering if any of them apply as "acute care." ...

Acute Care Experience
Nov 12, 2012

I have been looking for full or part-time work for quite some time now.  Most of the ads require acute care experience.  Is it worth taking a course for acute care or should I work on getting my CMT certification?  With all of the changes to health care recently, I didn't know if it was worth pursuing.  ...

Accentus Acute Care
Mar 23, 2013

Does anyone know why Accentus Acute Care seems to always have the same job ad hiring for acute care MTs that pays a sign-on bonus?  It seems as though either they never fill these positions or they are so difficult nobody stays.  I would be interested in applying, but the last time I tried to apply with them on the ambulatory side, I could not get the voice file to work.  Is this even worth applying for?  What is their cpl rate and do they pay for spaces?  Thanks for any ...

Acute Care Question
Apr 29, 2013

I've been in transcription since 1998, doing clinic work for about 13 of those, then moving to acute care consisting of H&P, consults, and discharge summaries....but not op notes. I see so many jobs for acute care work, but they only want people who've done all four. My question is, how do you go about learning to do op notes in order to obtain one of those jobs? I've been tempted to fib and say I have experience just to get the job and then figured maybe I could learn on the job ...

RE-TRAIN ACUTE CARE
May 10, 2013

I have been a transcriptionist for the past 22 years.  I have worked in hospitals and clinics as well as an IC.  Early in my career, I transcribed acute care, autopsy, pathology and radiology reports.   For the past 15 years I have concentrated on transcribing radiology reports which has been profitable for me since I did not mind typing difficult dictators and ESL physicians.   Currently, am fortunate to be working as a full-time employee and have my hourly rate.&n ...