A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many out there no longer take pride in telling people what you do for a living? - no message - just wondering

Posted: May 08, 2010

x

I take great pride in it - Huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
In today's economy, I'm established in a career I love, I'm still able to make a very decent living, and give thanks every day that, while so many others are destitute and struggling, I am holding my own.

Of course I take pride in my career, which pays my rent, puts food on my table, pays my utilities, and leaves enough for me to actually have a life.

If I were working at McDonald's and had a similar lifestyle, I would take pride in my career with McDonald's. Or Walmart. Or any other institution that provided me with the ability to pay my bills and have a life.

I'm kind of confused by your post, apparently. Why would anyone NOT take pride in themselves and their career, no matter which career it may be, if it provides for yourself and your family?

I might but others don't anymore - longtimeMT

[ In Reply To ..]
"Back in the day," when I told people I was a medical transcriptionist, they would be impressed. This is because the words told them: A) I was intelligent. B) I had a great career. C) I was making wonderful money. E) I may be working at home or in a hospital. D) I was someone to look up to for my skills.
Now, even the ladies at Walmart feel sorry for me when they ask what I do. Seems like everybody who knows medical transcription as a career (or what it is) knows it is nothing any more. They feel sorry for me, and look at me strangely and suggest I go back to school. This is no lie! Most people know of a medical transcriptionist somehow or another and we are all going through the same phasing out.
So, am I proud? Yes because I know that I am intelligent, have skills many do not. Do I think that I can make a living at it? Unless I found a job at a rare hospital which still keeps MTs on site and does not depend on the CFO to call the shots (which exists nowhere around me) the answer is no, absolutely not. Am I proud? Inside I am proud of me. Outwardly I state that I am going back to school, which is the truth, even at 50 years old. Let's face it... kids never heard of record players and they did a great job... so when will the words "medical transcriptionist" never be understood again? I'd say the next generation.

Your ladies of Walmart ask what you do for a living? - Really?

[ In Reply To ..]
The volunteer greeters? Mine in my area never ask ANYTHING personal, just if they can help me find anything or, if I'm exiting, if I found everything okay. I can honestly say I've never had them "bend my ear" about what I do for a living or anything on an even remotely personal level.

I don't think they're looking at you strangely because of your profession. I'm sure most of them really don't even comprehend what an MT or an MTs duties are, just that you are in the healthcare field which is taking a pummeling right now. I gather you choose to chit-chat with them when you go to Walmart and there's nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure their suggestions to go back to school are just that; a suggestion to try to help you along because they honestly have no clue how to respond to your dialogue about the state of the MT world. They are, after all, greeters who are retired and just trying to enjoy their day and yet be as friendly as possible even the most uncomfortable of circumstances.

I use the greeters as they are intended to be, the first friendly face in the store to offer assistance. I've never considered engaging them in a 1:1 counseling session.

I have to agree with you on your post - yes, of course I am proud

[ In Reply To ..]
I am an MT and a darn good one. I feel proud to know that my work will help in the care of a patient. I work hard and I take pride in my work and I'm proud to tell people what I do, if the occasion ever arises.

Here in my area too our Wal-Mart workers do not come out of the blue and ask me what I do and then proceed to feel sorry for me and counsel me on my career path. They say "Hello, welcome to Wal-Mart" others come up and say "Is there anything I can help you find" and others when I check out say "Did you find everything you were looking for or needed". None of them proceed to have a discussion with me about my profession or offer counseling/guidance about my career field.

The original question was do we feel pride in telling others what we do for a living. My answer is a big YES. Most definitely YES! And when they ask if I'm having a good weekend and I tell them I have to work when I get home if they ask what I do and I tell them I'm a medical transcriptionist with a big smile on my face with pride in my profession. They look at me with awe and say...really? I have a friend (and one had a sister) who was an MT and she really loves it. I told her with today's economy it's one of the best jobs to be in and I feel really good about the work I do. They always tell me that's great. I've met 2 people at the grocery store that know other MTs and they say they really like what they do.

But I guess if you go into a Wal-Mart and decide your going to pour your heart about how woe is me, I'm a poor little MT and the world treats me horrible, then yes maybe they would try and give you some comfort and suggestions.

I'm with you. I would never consider engaging the Wal-Mart workers in a 1:1 counseling session.
Maybe she lives in a small town and knows the - wannie
[ In Reply To ..]
people who work at Wal-Mart. It's not unsual at all to have a one-on-one conversation with people who work at Wal-Mart in the small town where I live. Give the lady/man a break. Don't automatically assume she goes and complains about how awful her job is.

Nope, the cashier - poster above

[ In Reply To ..]
Not a counseling session. Just when I had groceries, and had to put some things back b/c my paycheck was low. They asked what I did b/c they thought I could apply there. They said they were an RN working at Walmart on the side, so they knew MTing. Kind of offended you think I saw a cashier as a counselor. Why in the world would you misunderstand such a statement. Odd.
An RN working at WalMart on the side? - Interesting
[ In Reply To ..]
Life is tough these days for everyone.

Good for her for doing what she needs to do. All work is honorable.

confused - still mting

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a laudable profession, why would you NOT be proud to tell people what you do?

Medical transcription, pride, really?? ??? - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I had relatives say, "ewe" or whatever or however it is spelled years ago. People thought that all transcriptionists were lazy people who wanted to stay at home or "factory hogs" who were just a bunch of typists, i.e. "line" people. . . they didn't then and they still don't have any idea of what kind of knowledge and training I had. . . . I am sorry that I ever got into the "profession." Now, because of that "profession," I have been out of a job for almost a year now, which is the longest that I've have ever been out of a job . . . why? because no one respects seeing "medical transcriptionist" on your resume except the people who are looking for "factory hogs" to do piecemeal work. . . JMO

Your world sounds a bit bizarre to me, no offense - Confused

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean to be snarky or anything but your post leaves me with a vision of the Kentucky hollows or something where people are ill-educated and have no basic grasp of the world around them. I honestly have no clue what "factory hogs" and "line people" are, but I assume it's derogatory simply by the use of the word "hog" to describe someone's career.

I'm pretty sure seeing "MT" on a resume when one is applying completely out of the field would be viewed not with disrespect but with indifference. If I were applying for a job with Macy's as a beauty consultant, seeing "MT" on my resume wouldn't exactly dazzle them because it would be UNRELATED experience, not a DISRESPECTED field of "factory hogs."

I'm sorry and no offense, but your post truly makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Sign me "Factory Hog"
Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused. - Ginger
[ In Reply To ..]
I was scratching my head over "factory hogs." It's very sad she feels that way, I guess.

My experience has been very few people know what a transcriptionist is and their eyes usually glaze over when I attempt to tell them. They usually seem envious when they hear I work from home. They never seem to presume I'm lazy,though.
I agree, Ginger - Confused
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm a bit perplexed reading of these alleged strangers/friends/family looking down their noses at the MT profession and can't help but wonder if these people are overanalyzing things or flat out embellishing. Aside from people perking up at the idea of working from home, most show little interest in the area. The only comment I usually get is "I can type, do you think I can do that, too?"

To which I usually reply unless you love the English language and are extremely proficient in reading, spelling, comprehension, medical terminology, pharmacology, and the human anatomy in general, it's probably not something you would enjoy." It's the politest way I've found to let people know it's a career that requires a great deal of knowledge, not simply an ability to type. When people find out it's not just "typing" but requires research and knowledge, it's almost comical how quickly that perk of working from home becomes not so wonderful, lol!

I'm still trying to figure out "factory hog," though, so obviously I need to brush up on my research skills... :P
Also agree! - rhonda
[ In Reply To ..]
Her posts do not ''ring true''--they seem contrived, probably for the purpose of hurling insults. Sounds more like someone with a definite axe to grind (or maybe mental problems) than an actual MT. Poor ineffectual thing. She appears to be a very unhappy person but not an MT.
this is the reaction I have always gotten too - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I tell them what I do and its "oh ok..." with a blank look. Then I tell them I went to school and I get "you went to school for THAT???" I've never felt ashamed of what I did until others put me down for it. But i'm sure having 13 years at one company is going to look pretty darn good on a resume when I get out of school and get my masters degree. Also, i'm pretty articulate, can form a sentence, heck of a researcher, work independently fantastically, and get to stay in my PJs and not worry about the petty stressors of working with other people. I wouldn't trade the last 16 years of my working life for anything!!! I've been pretty spoiled. Its a shame this profession has been hijacked by money mongering slimeballs.
reactions to MT - melissa
[ In Reply To ..]
Strange posts. Over the years, I have had to explain what MT is. But if I felt someone were ''looking down'' on my job, it would be more a reflection of THEIR ignorance or something wrong with them. Since working at home, people have expressed that they wish they could work at home also. Once during outpatient surgery, I had an surgical tec (operating room personnel) ask for the name of my company so that she could apply. The same happened when vising a friend in the hospital and nursing personnel (taking history and preparing to catheterize the person I was visiting) asked for my company's name. Hard to understand all that business about ''factory/line hogs'' or whatever that poster was trying to say. Very strange.
MT is dying - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I am not in no way from the hills of Kentucky or West Virginia -- :-) lol and neither are any of my relatives. I live in an area where people are highly educated from major universities and so are my relatives, which is why the MT profession is a HUGE joke to them and has been a HUGE joke to them. As far as "factory hog" and "line person," that is what some of the educated people call the factory workers and anyone who produces piecemeal, "factory hogs."

Well, as far as seeing MT on a resume, let's face it, the MT "profession" is a HUGE joke, and I wish I would have been aware of it before I changed careers long ago. If a person is trying to break into another respectable career, having medical transcriptionist on your resume really is no plus or positive statement whatsoever -- mean's nothing.

As far as my post "making no sense," well that must be because you are a "factory hog" so to speak. :-) lol
Wow, demeaning much? - No hog here
[ In Reply To ..]
Your whole phrase "I live in an area where people are highly educated from major universities and so are my relatives, which is why the MT profession is a HUGE joke to them and has been a HUGE joke to them" is so demeaning I don't even know where to start.

Maybe your family would have been a little less condescending about your chosen career path if you had taken more pride in it. If you changed careers "long ago" and yet you're still having trouble getting a job because of an MT job on your resume, I'd venture to say that it's not because of the MT job, it's because of the job(s) you've had since then.

And my family is also highly educated and I have NEVER, EVER heard any of them call factory workers and anyone who produces piecemeal "factory hogs." What a horrible phrase.

Your family needs to go back to school for some basic humanity lessons, imo.
MT "profession" - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
That is exactly right . . . the jobs I've had are MT jobs and because of that "profession" it is difficult to get into something more respectable, responsible, and sustainable. Yes, MT is demeaning, and I decided a few years ago to just stop challenging the conventional wisdom that MT is something that will provide a real, sustainable living, move on, and look that "profession" straight in the face and accept it for what it is . . .

In my experience working with MTs, I have found that I have never interacted with such on-edge, stressed-out people (like you sound, no offense) than MTs. I think that is because most MTs are having to do unbelievable things at work to make a living or either are not making a living and just waiting around for work.
It's only demeaning because you make it so - No hog here
[ In Reply To ..]
And no, I'm not stressed or on-edge and no offense taken. I think it sounds like you're projecting, honestly. I love my job and I make a very good living at it. I love telling people what I do and yes, sometimes I have to explain it, but I have NEVER, EVER had anyone put me down for it or view it as a "sweat shop job" such as you imply that your circle of influence has.

If you're having trouble getting a job outside of MT, maybe it's your resume or how you present yourself. Your post here intimates that you have no self confidence and/or self respect and surely that has to come across to anyone looking to hire you. If you're ashamed of what you have been doing for the last number of years, that is going to come out in the interview if you get that far.

And yes, MT is a "profession." It's one I'm very proud to be in. I'm sorry you feel the way you do and I hope you find something in your life that will make you happy.
Oh, that's just silly, but possibly a good way to get attention if you need it - I do not agree with you.
[ In Reply To ..]
People seem to say outrageous things on message forums so they get some badly needed attention.

There are plenty of hard-working, MTs who do get value from the work they do. When they get burned out our find out they aren't really able to do well in MT, a responsible person would find something they do enjoy and can do well. It serves no decent purpose to run others down if they make the choice to do something you don't like. In fact, it's not kind and makes you appear to have poor manners. Nevertheless, I hope you do well in whatever it is that you choose to do, and I have one request. Would you kindly let the rest of us make our own choices without verbally abusing us?
You decided a few years ago to leave MT, yet here you are - Interesting
[ In Reply To ..]
You didn't go very far apparently, but you're choosing to harass those who choose to do what you are unable to do successfully. What are you getting out of that? What is it doing for you?

If and when you are happy with yourself and your new career, you won't find it necessary to demean others who made different choices. Right now you seem to be just wanting to share your misery. That isn't working with me because I don't want to take that trip with you.
Great post! ''You decided to leave, but yet here you are..." - lizbeth50
[ In Reply To ..]
You hit the nail on the head! The ''factory-line-hog'' poster surely does not sound ''highly educated''! Bitter--Yes. Educated--No. In fact, it's hard to believe she knows or has anything remotely to do with a highly educated family, either. My, what family gatherings these imaginary folk must have, retiring to their mansion's formal sitting room after a long day at the university, discussing ''factory hogs''. LOL! Seriously though, how empty would a person's life have to be that she would take the time to visit a message board (of a profession she claims to no longer even be a part of) and attempt (albeit ineffectively) to insult people who actually are effective and can make their living as MT. Scary to visualize such an obviously angry, frustrated person.
question - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
What do you do for a living now? My family demeans me for being an MT so I avoid them like the plague. You shouldn't be down on yourself for making an honest living.
MT is dying - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
What do I do now? I will graduate from a reputable, 4-year university next month with a B.S. degree in something different.

If you're family is demeaning the MT field, they are only trying to help you because they love you. If you are avoiding them "like the plague" because of that, well, when all is said and done, you really only have your family. Friends come and go, and a lot of friends are only fair-weather people that don't want to be brought down by someone else's problems. So, when it comes time that you lose your job, and you will, your family will be all that you have.

I am not down on myself for being an MT. I could kick myself in the as__ for choosing that idiot "profession" long ago, and that I didn't quit my job to finish school several years ago instead of quitting for a few years and then picking it up again. I am very proud of who I am, what I do, and my knowledge and education; however, getting passed the MT negative image in the public eye in order to get a real job has been a huge challenge.
My neighbor got her bachelor degree in social work 14 months ago.... - Hayseed
[ In Reply To ..]
And still can't find work. She's asked me to get her into this line of work, but I've taken that risk with too many people only to let my employer down because they just couldn't do it.

My other neighbors are both doctors, husband and wife, who once did family practice together. One is still a family physician and the other is in an administrative position. Both hate the fact that they have to answer to a "corporation" and not themselves--they wanted to be in private practice, visualized themselves as country docs, but can't do it because of all the beurocracy.

So, even people who should be extremely proud of their accomplishments are having difficulty because they feel more like paper pushers than what they spent half their life and huge amounts of money trying accomplish. How sad is that?!

I have no family to fall back on. They are all dead. I have to swim or sink and so far, I'm swimming just fine on my own, as are a lot of people out there who may never know a forum like this exists to talk about their success.

I'm glad you got your degree--that is no easy task and it takes a lot of hard work. Congratulations :)

Lots of MTs have advanced degrees - and choose to be MTs
[ In Reply To ..]
I think it was Will Rogers who said that people are just about as happy as they make up their minds to be. I know MTs with and without advanced degrees who are doing a great job as MTs. I don't think it's necessarily the degree that makes one happy or unhappy. It's true that many people with degrees can't find jobs in the line of work they trained for. It's also true that many of them can't do MT either. You can't just lump all people together. We're all different. Some of us love what we are doing, even though this is a tough economy and way too many people don't have jobs at all. Personally, I'm thankful to have work and a home and food. If I wanted to do something different to make more money or enjoy my job more, that would be fine. Being content with what I'm doing is also fine, and I am. I wish that for each and every one of us.
Something Different? .... why not answer the question? - .
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
alice NY - elorna@cox.net
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, it seems that she did (with heavy emphasis on the BS!) In her case, ''B.S. in something different'' probably sums up her pretend degree (and unfortunate personality). The veracity of this poster is extremely hard to believe.
sit your relatives down, have them try to transcribe a paragraph. - joke will be on them. Do it. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
The people I prefer aren't in the habit of calling others names - Not A Name Caller
[ In Reply To ..]
I wouldn't enjoy being around people who call others names because of the work they do. My friends and relatives don't do that and I wouldn't spend time with them if they did. I think that's disgusting.

In fact, once a person has self-respect, it isn't necessary for them to drag down others. Work on it!
Is it really dying or just changing? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
It may be dying out or it may not be. I know for sure it is changing a lot. People always panic when things start to change. Remember Y2K? Was it really the end of the world? I don't know about you, but I'm still here. Computers all over the world didn't crash like so many predicted they would.

Like anything else, some will panic and throw in the towel, others will keep right on trucking just as they are now, and still others will take advantage of the changes and succeed. Either way, it is what it is.

I just know one thing for sure. I'm still making too much money to jump ship right now. I think I'll just ride the tide and see where it takes me. Maybe, just maybe, there's an adventure up ahead, things I've never seen before, and hopefully even some treasure to find. LOL.
I see changes - see message
[ In Reply To ..]
About 20 years ago I did panic and almost threw in the towel. I'm glad I didn't. There have been changes, but I like some of them. Others are not so great, but I can't think of any other career that isn't facing some of the same problems.

As far as changes, I think the people who stay are going to have to be the ones with the best skills, and they are going to be positioned for the next opportunity. That's the way it always seems to work and I am beginning to see it happen again that way this time. Time will tell, of course.

I don't think it's going to be good for everyone, but then medical transcription was never the right career for everyone. It takes good skills and hard work. For some years now we've had people who have just coasted. I think their time is limited and we're seeing some of that as we speak.

I'm so sorry. - proudmme

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like to me it isn't your career choice thats the problem. Maybe you should get new relatives. From your post they sound like a bunch of old bitties sitting in the tea room looking down their noses at everyone else. Sounds to me like they are in need of some serious humbling.

IMO, I would be ashamed of THEM instead. "Factory hogs," "line" people? Thank goodness, I didn't even know what those words meant at first. It took me a few minutes to realize and then my jaw dropped. Are you kidding? You must be kidding. No way in this world would I EVER even want to be around those people, much less actually claim them as my relatives.

They should really mind their manners and be nice because karma really is a b****. One day they may find themselves shoveling sh** to keep from starving. LOL

In the meantime, with my temper, I think I'd just tell them all where to go and get on with my life. JMO

I do. Why in the world wouldn't I? - Sherry

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I do, why not? - babypaws

[ In Reply To ..]
I work at home with no one having to stand over my shoulder to make sure I do my job. I still make GREAT money that allows me and my children to have things and do things a lot of others cannot afford right now, which I am thankful for. I have never had anyone feel sorry for me or look at me strangely when I tell them what I do. On the contrary, they usually are very impressed and envious. I have actually had several people over the years call me up to ask how they can get a job like mine.

Definitely sounds like for a change of careers for you! sm - I DEFINITELY take pride

[ In Reply To ..]
Rather than decrease the integrity of the MT field, when you start feeling like you're not proud of what you do, it's time to make a change.

Well, I always had a hard time describing it to people, -sm - Rocky Raccoon

[ In Reply To ..]
because most people don't even know MT exists. But, the ones that do know it exists, also seem to know it's a sweatshop job, and an American disgrace. So I'm embarrassed to admit that I do MT, and that I have yet to find a viable way out.

Describing MT - Ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Sad but but statements you make. It is true that many people have no idea what an MT does or is for that matter. I know that many years ago, I had no idea what an MT was and had never even heard of an MT. Had I done a little more homework and asked even some relatives, I am very sure that they would have adamantly advised me not to go into this "career." The MT "profession" is viewed as a sweatshop job, and you are correct is stating that it is viewed as an "American disgrace." Good luck to you breaking away.

Ex-MT, be happy to be an "ex" then. Why still post? - Hayseed

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean to sound like a dink or anything, but if I were to change careers, I am pretty sure I would stop contributing to a career-specific board like this as well, UNLESS I thought I could be helpful to someone...and helpful in a nice way like helpful hints on how to research something or help with a "sounds like" issue.

Every career has its pitfalls, and this is most definitely a career, and one that I am most happy to be actively making a living in. Life, I feel anyway, is all about compromise, the trade offs. And it's too darn short to dwell on the negative.

You are obviously happy with your decision to move on, but there are lots of us doing okay, great even, who thankfully still enjoy what we do. I would personally never go out of my way to discourage anyone from trying something or making the best of what they have to work with. That's just counterproductive and leads to a black heart.

:-)

Well said. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Just out of curiosity I have to ask, exactly how long were you an MT? (sm) - Isabelle

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in this field for almost 25 years. I love my job and take great pride in it. I am also well respected by friends and family, these include RNs, MRI techs, medical assistants, physician assistants and other friends and family who work in the medical field. I can also say that I am well respected by many physicians that I have worked with in my community because of the vast medical knowledge that I have as an MT. I have friends who are EMTs, a couple who were medics in the Army and again, I am well respected.

Yes, I will not disagree that this industry has taken a turn for the worst but then most industries do. I have seen it with RNs, LPNs, x-ray techs, not necessarily to the degree that it is happening for us but then again, they do not get paid on production and we do unfortnately. However, at the same time there are still wonderful companies out there who are honest and good to their MTs, it is just a matter of searching and doing your homework.

While I definitely do not make the $50,000 to $60,000 or more a year that I have seen some of the schools advertise, I am able to make a very comfortable living, I work five days a week, no holidays and the group of people that I work for are absolutely wonderful.

I am sorry that you had the experience that you had, this is a career that is definitely not meant for everyone, some can handle it and some cannot, just as some have extremely bad experiences and some do not. I really would love to see any kind of proof to your statements that the "MT profession is viewed as a sweatshop job," and also that it is an "American disgrace." With some of the larger companies I can see how people could feel this way but again, it is not that way across the board.

Again, I love my career and I know that I am well respected by my peers, family, friends and others who I have worked with in the medical field.
This was supposed to be directed to Ex MT but did not post in the appropriate place. - Isabella
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
MT profession - Ex-MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I was an MT for 18 years and transcribed many different types of medical reports for many different physicians. And. . . I was formally educated . . .:-) I was an EXCELLENT MT, knowledgeable in both medical and computer skills, but I was taken advantage of horribly. My experience comes from working in a "revolving-door-management" situation at a large hospital organization. The women were hateful more than likely because they were miserable and thought someone was getting something that they weren't . . . sad situation . . . in my book, they were true bitc__es.

As far as "sweatshop job," it is a piecemeal job that pays in pennies; therefore, that translates into a "sweatshop job." I think that someone else coined "American disgrace." :-)

I am happy your MT situation is working out well for you. I hope that you never have to experience the horrible type of women that I had to experience or the situation. I hope you have a few good years left before the off-shoring begins.
Sounds like a case of "they" were all bad to poor little me - The old victim attitude
[ In Reply To ..]
All the people you worked with were mean while you, on the other hand, were, in your words, "an EXCELLENT MT, knowledgeable....taken advantage of..." and the people you worked with were hateful and jealous.

Good grief, woman! Do you realize how that sounds? You may just have a case of general burnout, but otherwise, consider an attitude adjustment and the people you work with may suddenly not be all those names you called them.
I've had a similar experience to yours and a happy career as an MT - Adding a little
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm like you that the $50,000-60,000 was not always within my grasp as an MT while I wondered how some MTs I know were and are doing it. Why one person and not another? Even close friends of mine always seemed to be making more than I was. That went on for years, in fact. That said, I've always enjoyed MT, even through the tough work.

Just as you mentioned, the doctors I've worked with and others I met outside my work have always treated me with the utmost respect. RNs that I run into from time to time almost always say that they would love to switch careers from nursing to transcription.

I guess the main point of my message is that while MT is not right for everyone, it is very right for some, and how dare anyone to insult and demean us because of our career choice. If you want to do something else, go and do it, but don't stay around and try to harm or belittle others who have a different situation than yours. That's so unfair. We have to wonder what your motive is to run down others, is it to build yourself up so that you feel better? If so, try something else that will get you better results and be happy at it. Please.
That's because.... - Rhonda
[ In Reply To ..]
That's because she is probably not and never has been an MT and her posts (like her imaginary family and pretend degree) are complete BS.

Respectable work is never a disgrace and we know that from our country's history - Work is Honorable

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm disappointed these days to see people ashamed of work. It's fine to better yourself or go a different direction, but not to feel ashamed of the job that is putting food on your table, no matter how much or how little.

If you are having trouble making MT work for you, for goodness sakes, do something else, but don't bite the hand that has been feeding you. That's so ungrateful.

Instead of leaving my message sounding so cross, I do recognize that you said you were looking for another career. Good luck with that, sincerely. I hope that when you do find a new career that it is as perfect as you dream that it will be, or if it isn't quite that perfect, that it will be something you won't be embarrassed to do. Plenty of others will be very happy and not at all embarrassed to do the job you will be leaving behind.

Success equals pride, failure equals shame. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
After reading all of these posts and the different opinions from different MTs, I can't help but draw one single conclusion. Those who are successful and do well are proud of being an MT and it shows in their life and their work. However, those who are not successful and fail to "make it" in the MT world, of course, are not proud of it. Most likely when they are asked in casual conversation about what they do that shame of failure must come forth and show itself in some way in their reactions. That is why they get the pity looks or advice to go back to school.

Like so many others, most people I've talked to do not even know what MT is until I explain it to them. But they see how I live, the obvious money that I make, and the pride I show on my face when I do explain it to them.

IMO, pity or envy from others is just a mirror reflection of how you feel about yourself in anything you do, not just MT.

THAT makes perfect sense, thank you - ProudandSuccessfulMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That's for posting that, and it makes perfect sense to me. Walmart greeters staring with sympathy, laughing and pointing families and friends were such truly bizarre scenarios, but your explanation shed new light.

Similar Messages:

How Are People Not Making A Living?
Jul 06, 2012

THIS IS NOT A MEAN OR DEGRADING MESSAGE.  I am genuinely curious as I have been with them for almost 9 years and have never had a problem netting (after taxes) anywhere from 13-17$/hour.  I only work 50-60 hours every 2 weeks and I am bringing home 550--800$. I don't see how some people are working 80 hours every 2 weeks and aren't bringing home at least 1000$.  ...

Well, I'm Really Tired Of New POD Scheduler's Emails Telling Us How Many People She Has To
Dec 01, 2014

This Is America Where People Are Important - Not COWS! So Stop Telling Me I Have "inactive"
May 16, 2012

No Pride Left
Mar 08, 2014

I have been working today for almost 3 hours and I have not understood a word I have typed.  I used to take such pride in my work and truly loved what I did for a living.  On my "new" account this morning I have typed report after report and guessed my way through the entire report or left a massive amount of blanks.  Not to mention my line count is down from 340 to 120.  I think it is time to go now. ...

America's Pride
Feb 13, 2015

Anyone currently working for AP? Appreciate any info ...

Does Anybody Know Anything About America's Pride Transcription
Jul 05, 2012

Is it voice rec or straight typing?  Do they have benefits? ...

Americas Pride - Just Curious
Jul 14, 2012

Hi, recently sent the resume in and got an email back stating that I had been hired  -- no testing -- yeah!! but just wondering how long it takes to get set up etc.  "C" is apparently on vacation; however, this morning did get an e-mail from "P" asking the tech person to contact me.  Not the greatest pay in the world; however, I can see or at least try to see "both sides of the coin," and if this is straight typing, not going to complain. ...

Anything Recent About America's Pride
Feb 28, 2014

Checked the archives and didn't see anything recent about America's Pride.  Are they still a VA contractor? How are they to work for? ...

America's Pride - Vacation
Apr 02, 2014

Wondering if anyone has been able to use vacation time yet?  Been so long since I heard anything. Supposed to be a "benefit" from the Service Contract Act. ...

Anyone Worked For America's Pride?
Jan 11, 2015

Has anyone worked for America's Pride?  They seem like they would be a great place to work.  I was wondering whether it is difficult to make the minimum line count and how the doctors were to transcribe for as far as being difficult to understand, etc. ...

Work At America's Pride?
May 18, 2015

What's happened to the work at America's Pride?  For a few weeks, there was enough to keep busy with, but now nothing. ...

America's Pride Sound Quality (sm)
Jul 30, 2012

Does anyone else find the sound quality of AP files to be horrendous? ...

My Rant About The America's Pride Firings
Sep 04, 2012

I'm surprised there is no thread about the America's Pride firings last Friday. I've been with them for years, and for nearly two have been unable to get any decent work. Over a year ago I was put on a new account that they promptly lost. The other account I had transitioned to mostly VR with only a few jobs coming in. When I asked to be added to other accounts, I received no response. Recently I asked to be on the new DC account, then got a rather vague email saying that DC woul ...

Anyone Work For America's Pride? Opinions?
Nov 15, 2014

America's Pride - No Work, Is This Normal For This Time Of Year?
Jan 27, 2011

I've worked at America's Pride since last spring so I never went through a holiday season with them before.  Work started drying up around Thanksgiving, and over the last few weeks, has been almost nonexistent.  I am currently making less than $10/day, sitting here for hours, watching as not a single job on my accounts come in.  Lately, no jobs for ANY account come in. Is this usual for this time of the year?  Should I be worried about that recent email we got with ...

Anyone Else Get The Email Telling You How Much
May 07, 2012

They are tracking every key movement while you're in docqscribe and sending it as incentive to help you produce more..Well you got me with a week where my internet was messed up bad,,,so all I can do is go up from here...No warning, they are just watching...I dont like being watched...Applied for a transcription job in a docs office,  if the money is right, Im outta here... ...

After Just Telling Us MT Will Never Make What They Used To And Will
Oct 16, 2012

they dont mention in the ad no pay increased and never making a living wage. ...

Those Telling You MT Is In Demand
Mar 18, 2013

Please don't listen to those telling you that MT is in demand. Those are either schools. or recruiters who work for MTSOs. I suppose we could twist this to mean that MTs are still needed, but what they don't tell you is that the pay is horrendous these days. That being said, if one still chooses to do it, go in with your eyes WIDE OPEN and remember these posts......   ...

Should I Bother Telling My TSM About This...
May 08, 2015

In FIESA I was corrected for, but didn't lose points for,  leaving out the word "of" after the word "off," as I learned in transcription school that it is not correct to say "off of," you just need to say "off." Should I tell my TSM to mention this to the QA person or does no one care since I didn't lose any points? I have also seen blanks in reports that this QA person added to my reports for words that I know I typed correctly because I am very familiar with my accounts and have ...

Shouldn't AHDI Be Telling MQ
Mar 02, 2010

this is a very dangerous thing to do for patient care? ...

Emdat Shuts Down W/o Me Telling It To?
Aug 03, 2010

Yesterday when I logged in to type in Emdat I could get a report started and then Emdat just shut down.  I logged back in and it closed itself again without me telling it to.  I was working fine Friday at the end of my shift.  I don't understand what is going on with it this week.  I can't call the Emdat help because I do not have long distance on my home phone.  I emailed them but they didn't know how to help me.  This is very frustrating.  I CA ...

Oh Goodie! I Just Got An E-mail Telling Me
Jan 19, 2011

how many times I clicked the mouse while doing ASR last week and how many minutes I was idle in a document.  Gee, could it be that I was looking up a word or checking on a previously dictated document in order to complete the document I was working on in order to produce a good report with no holes? If I want to click my mouse I'll click my mouse! Oh yes, the good news is the e-mail said that I could attend an online class so I can learn how to be more productive and use the "hot ...

Is It Just Me, Or Is Anyone Else Tired Of All Of These SS Emails Telling Us About Our Sm
Jan 27, 2011

obligations to them --WHAT ABOUT THEIR OBLIGATIONS TO US?!!  I still see that "plenty of work TODAY" ad and it makes my blood boil.   I have an email formulated regarding this subject with plans to send to my PM and possibly copy it to the VP of operations, although I am not sure it will do any good.  At this point, though, it seems there is nothing left to lose.  They need to address this issue and explain why they have no work for the current employees yet continue to ...

Another Report Telling Me How Unproductive I Am At ASR
Oct 14, 2011

And how I need to do more, more, more.  You're welcome MedQ (not) ...

Got Booted Off And Now Telling Me I Am Logged In
Nov 18, 2012

and can't log in until I log off elsewhere???? Anybody else??   ...

Doctors Telling Me Where To Punctuate
Mar 21, 2015

I just love to get dictators (not all ESL either) who can't put a proper English sentence together telling me where to use commas, semi-colons, etc.  85% of the time they're incorrect and I want to drive to the hospital and shout at them to TAKE AN ENGLISH CLASS ! ...

People Skills For Work-at-home People
Nov 01, 2010

I have been at home working full time for about a year.  I have been an MT longer, but I always had kept a job outside of the home also because I like interaction with other.  I have found that I am starting to lose my people skills.  Do others have this same problem?  It is like I have forgotten how to really be able to hold a conversation with others.  This is something that really bothers me as I have always loved customer service and working with people and main ...

I Am So Sick Of ASR IT Telling Me The Software Will Learn!
Apr 26, 2013

It used to be you could file a ticket regarding a word, format or phrase and IT would fix it. Now, all I get is an email stating that the speech engine will learn it from all the MTs' corrections. I even presented them with proof MTs were editing a particular item correctly, and I got the same email! With that particular email, I was told to contact my TSM if there was still that problem. ...

Now Telling Me Unable To Reach Sever!!!!!!!!!!
May 14, 2013

nm ...

Why Are Some CCM's Telling Those Laid Off That It's ALL Part Timers?
Aug 17, 2013

I am part time 24 hours and not a peep out of my CCM/TSM/whatever she is yet.  I would think I would be first in line because she is always giving me a hard time about my hours and my pause time, etc.  Is it still coming?  If not, why are they lying? ...