Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

Healthcare is in such a flux - anon

Posted: Aug 13th, 2020 - 4:09 am In Reply to: Legality of fining ICs for errors LoL - wondering

My post may be off topic a bit, but I doubt anything could have saved MT from the profit-makers. Even professionals like primary care physicians are facing uncertainty.

An interesting article in The New York Times - The Disappearing Doctor: How Mega-Mergers Are Changing the Business of Medical Care - discusses the increasing changes taking place in primary care medicine. The article states, "The new deals involving major corporations loom over doctors’ livelihoods, intensifying pressure on small practices and pushing them closer to extinction. The latest involves Walmart and Humana, a large insurer with a sizable business offering private Medicare plans. While their talks are in the early stages, one potential partnership being discussed would center on using the retailer’s stores and expanding its existing 19 clinics for one-stop medical care. Walmart stores already offer pharmacy services and attract older people." And who would be staffing these clinics? Probably PAs and NPs.

I don't think anyone's job, whether formally recognized as a profession or not, is safe from being downsized or replaced by a less costly version, all for the sake of profit. Does quality of care even factor into any of these changes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)