Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help M*Modal Nuance New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Games Faith Board Prayer Requests Health Issues

ADVERTISEMENT

Main Board

100 percent agree - =

Posted: Aug 12th, 2020 - 12:57 pm In Reply to: People need to grow some hookahs - just me

I switched from hospital employee to IC in 1986 when my daughter was of preschool age. I went from $12 an hour (considered a good wage at the time) to roughly $50 an hour charging the industry standard in my area.

It took me about a year on my own, with the help and advice of my businessman husband, to realize that I WAS THE ONE IN CONTROL, not my clients. As per our business agreements, I could and would return any dictation that was unintelligible for whatever reason. That didn't mean I returned difficult dictation (thick accents, etc.) because I always felt that the more of those you mustered your way through, the better you'd get at them, therefore the more money you would make off them. If they didn't like my terms, they were free to discontinue my service and find another IC.

Which brings me to today's standard and how we got here. I remember in the mid-90s seeing a slow change when the "MTSO" became an entity. Because I had several ICs that I used, I foolishly considered myself an MTSO. ROFL! I recall to join their organization, the dues were $400. So this basically excluded the smaller services. I paid my ICs well; the large MTSOs did not. Their price structure in those years came out to well below minimum wage and I struggled to figure out how anyone could make a living with that salary, let alone start a career in our field.

I feel enough ICs didn't stand up for their wage at the time, or a clear definition of what it is to be an IC, myself included.

If I am your hired employee in every sense of the word, then I am hired to do a specific job for you. If I am hired as an IC, then I am not your employee and I'm baffled on how they get away with this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post A Reply Reply By Email Options

Complete Discussion Below: ( marks the location of current message within thread)