A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

anything better than at-home professions out there? - xgenra

Posted: May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done?

Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't?

schools - check this

[ In Reply To ..]
check out AHDI web site and check out other posts on the new MT board. But do check also all the hospitals and companies that are letting their MTs go because of being taken over by electronic medical records and offshoring. This profession is not as good as it used to be. If you want medical try being a CNA or something, that kind of thing is always needed badly. I am getting out of this after 35 years, making no money anymore and my last year's taxable income was 13K. Cannot live on that, especially if you need to raise kids on that.

That is a sad amount of money compared to what many others are making - I would quit if I were you too

[ In Reply To ..]
First I would quit the company that is just paying you that much. Then if I got the same results at another company I would wonder if maybe it's just a case of burnout our misplaced career, in other words, maybe MT is not a good fit for you or you aren't a good fit for MT.

I do know that there are quite a few experienced MTs with lots of years under their belt finding that employers expect more these days. What was accepted 30 years ago or maybe with one clinic or doctor's office just isn't marketable these days. The MTs who are closer to retirement age sometimes prefer not to keep up with the changes, refuse to do anything other than what they've always done. That is a sure sign that your income is going to go downhill. You can choose to keep up or do something else, fortunately, so everyone has options. MT is definitely not for everyone and even if it's been 'right' for a person for 35 years, that doesn't mean there won't come a time when you're tired of it and don't want to learn the skills the NEW MT is required to have. We're all different and we all have times in our lives when we want to learn and other times when we want to coast and be paid on the fact that we 'used to be' really good at what we do. I've been there and done that. In fact, sometimes I still have to fight wanting to coast for the rest of my work life. It's a constant struggle.

I suffered burn-out as you describe, too (sm) - Ye Gads

[ In Reply To ..]
My burnout came as a result of going from acute care to radiology when I moved to a new area and radiology was all that was available. We all have our favorites, to be sure, but after a couple of years of radiology, I could FEEL the burnout. When my shift time rolled around, I found myself dreading it. It was a rotating group of radiologists yet it was like transcribing the same report over and over and over again. I would catch myself totally "zoning out" while I was transcribing, NEVER a good thing, and that 8-hour shift felt like a 24-hour shift. My productivity never went down and I found all sorts of little things to keep my focus, but I was miserable.

Rather than give up MTing, I took on a part-time MT job doing a mix of clinic and acute care, just 2-4 hours a night, to break up the monotony. That did the trick and rejuvenated my love of MT. I found myself looking forward to my acute care and clinic work every day and it made the 8-hour radiology shift much easier to tolerate.

When it came down to it, I left the radiology position and took the FT position I was offered for the acute care position. My love of MTing returned, someone else is happily churning out those radiology reports, and everything ended happily ever after.

Burnout SUCKS. I was fortunate to find a way around mine but I understand some others might not be so fortunate.
so, for tha same report over and over, didn't you make a template? - no message, just wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Ya, one would think some cut & paste and you're in there - without knowing the particulars. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
q
Yep, even with normals it was the same thing ad nauseum - Paid by hour so no big deal for templates
[ In Reply To ..]
The reports had just enough differences where it couldn't be a standardized, across-the-board macro (every one of these bozos had to have their own special normal foot, normal chest, normal hand...and then RARELY used them). Even the MRIs and CTs would go on for 2-3 pages and be essentially normal at the end of the report. It was mind-numbing.

Had we been being paid on production and they actually used normals, maybe I'd have been too busy counting my money to get bored, though, huh? I never looked at it that way :-)

I would quit too - my reply

[ In Reply To ..]
I did quit the job that I only made 13K with. I sat for hours waiting for work everyday. It was not that I did not want to learn new things, it was they did not have anything for me or anyone else to learn. I have done every work type, I have been a supervisor in every jog I have had. The first job lasted 15 years before they offshored, the second job was 15 years and they offshored. It is not that I am not willing to learn anything new and I do keep up on things, and even working the night shigt to get work to make the money, but now they are even taking away paying for spaces, so there goes more money out of pocket.

I realize there are some that actually have work to do to make the money, but apparently I have not gone though enough jobs yet to get the work to get the money. I am still working on getting that job, but as anyone knows they are almost nonexistent anymore.
I don't agree with your last statement but wish you well - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Why getting a course to 'fill in the blanks' doesn't work - See message

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not critiquing any course specifically, but I do know that it doesn't work to take a poor course and then fill in for its shortcomings. Students don't know what they don't know. Employers aren't going to tell you why they don't hire you. The 'important' part of an MT course is the whole thing, from the very initial easy attempts at transcription to the work you'll do that is as close to on-the-job MT as possible. Since all that is missing from a poor course, which often just teaches from canned recordings (not real MDs actually dictating) and giving you lots of fun quizzes to keep you busy since there is nothing of value in the curriculum, there is no way to fill in what's missing. It's all missing. Many times they should call these courses "Introduction To" Medical Transcription, but even that is a very bad idea, because people graduate from them thinking they are medical transcriptionists, when they are far from it. That's just my opinion, of course.

Introduction to MT . . . - Read the Fine Print

[ In Reply To ..]
Read the fine print on a lot of those schools like AHP. They often DO call the course an "introduction to" MT. They KNOW they do not provide a complete education, they KNOW their students can't get jobs, and they avoid being blamed for it later by just saying up front that they are an introduction to the field. In some way or the other, they admit they aren't teaching what you need to know.

Unfortunately, a lot of the kinds of people who would be taken in by slick advertising and cheap tuition don't have the ability to understand what they read in the fine print. They don't read it at all or they don't understand what it means. They tend to be very gullible--they believe everything people tell them . . . if it fits with what they want to hear.

Another characteristic of those people is that they always thing they'll be the exception. When they hear that few people get jobs after AHP, they think they'll be the exception.

Xgenra - Old MTSO

[ In Reply To ..]
There are many, many schools out there that are better than AHP (which I view as a joke). My top two choices are:
1. Andrews.
2. M-TEC.

Contact each of them. Prepare a list of questions for their rep before you call. Get a feel for each school and then pick the one that seems to meet your needs the best. I think you are wise to realize the inadequacies of AHP. Many people who did the AHP course find that once they are on the job, there is so much more they need to know. Put yourself into the hands of a good school (not a matchbook that advertises in women's magazines, please!) and you will greatly increase your chances. Good luck to you.

Similar Messages:

Need Advice On AT-HOME PROFESSIONS
Dec 23, 2009

Hello all. I am totally new to this board and to the medical transcripting field. I recently started taking a correspondence course to become a MT, not really knowing what I was doing or who was credible, etc. Now I am wondering if I should have chosen a different course/school. Does anyone have any knowledge of the AT-Home Professions School? Any knowledge or advice you would have to pass on to a novice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much! ...

At-Home Professions Program
Oct 28, 2014

Hey guys, Has anyone heard of the At-Home Professions Program? Are they a good program, waste of time, or a complete scam? I am interested in this profession, but don't want to waste my time on the wrong program. Any good or bad advice is helpful. Thanks. ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Fort Collins At-home Professions
Feb 03, 2010

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me on an assignment having some difficulties and would greatly appreciate it! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

At-Home Professions - Thoughts And/or Suggestions!
Sep 05, 2012

I am interested in starting courses in MT but want to make the right choice in where to take courses. I sat in on a seminar for a company called At-HomeProfessions. They are accredited and have an A+ rating through the better business bureau. The company is based out of Fort Collins, CO. www.at-homeprofessions.com. Has anyone taken courses through them?? Any suggestions on where to take courses if this isn't the best company to go through? Please let me know thoughts and/or suggestions! ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

Reputation Of "At Home Professions"
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have any information about a company called "At Home Professions"?  i attended a seminar presented by that company to learn more about medical transcription as a profession.  I was impressed by the information and the materials but want to hear from someone who has taken their course.  Is the company credible? Thanks! ...

Jumping Professions
Jan 06, 2010

I am medical transcriptionist contemplating jumping over to coding, is this an easy transition?  Has anybody else done this?  Any information/stories would be helpful as I contemplate this decision. TIA!! ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Change Professions Everyone - It's Time - Here's How I Did It
May 31, 2013

I started medical transcription 16 years ago - all excited and thrilled to be able to work at home.  I made $20 to $25 an hour.  It allowed me to stay home with my children and still have a good income.  16 years ago, the starting rate per line was - .06 per line.  Which is now STILL the starting rate for many companies.  A few lucky old souls out there may get .09 or even .10 a line.  However, when I started, all we did was straight typing.  No pasting notes, ...

For Those On Disability Who Need To Change Professions (sm)
Jan 02, 2014

After I became disabled I went to the state Department of Rehabilitation and was amazed how much help they offer people who need to train for new careers.  The one I went do did complete testing to identify work limitations, gave tests for aptitude and desire for certain types of work, gave career counseling and even offered to pay for training programs, books, and software needed to change professions.  So for those who are disabled and working part time because of it, you might want ...

Hospital Professions Network
Jun 12, 2015

Has anyone used Hospital Professions Network for job searching?  I just stumbled across it, and have never heard of it before.  Thanks in advance for any info!  :) ...

Do You Ever Wonder How Many At-home MTs
Nov 16, 2010

take medication for depression/anxiety disorders? ...

Well, That Hit Home.
Jun 13, 2011

I just did a report that outlined, in great detail, something that my dad went through several years ago.  He died last year and I guess with father's day coming up I am just missing him a lot.  I think that was the hardest report I have ever done!  I stopped in the middle of it and just lifted that patient up in prayer and asked that his family not have to go through what mine did.  I miss my dad!!!! I had to stop working a few minutes early because I just can't st ...

At Home MTs -
Feb 09, 2012

What do your QA people actually do?  I have two jobs, as I've said before.  Both outsource pieces of their work and at both I wonder just what it is that the QA people do?  At both I really wonder how the MT even got their job at all but I really wonder what the QA people do! At the hospital, we send the op reports out, probably 60 a day.  They get done by a company owned by the former Q but they claim they're done in America.  Every day we come in to 50 of t ...

Anything Else To Do From Home?
Nov 26, 2012

Has anyone been successful in finding a non-MT job that can be done from home with benefits?  I'm at 14 years in MT, and just cannot do it anymore.  My daughter was sick this weekend, but of course I can't afford to put her on my insurance with what they charge and what I'm making these days.  This job has turned into a complete nightmare, really need to find something else to do. ...

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

HOME MAKEOVER
Dec 07, 2009

Did anyone see the home makeover with Ty Pennington Sunday night?  The makeover was for a medical transcriptionist.  She got a gorgeous house and the bank paid off her mortgage! ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Do Any At Home MTs Miss This...
Feb 09, 2010

I totally miss getting a huge snowstorm (like today in my area, 10 to 14 inches) and being able to call in to work to say "I can't make it in today... the roads are horrible" I am trying hard to concentrate on work today, but all I want to do is call in to work, go outside and build a huge snowman, then shovel a little, and come in and make a huge mug of hot chocolate and watch it snow.   LET IT SNOW!!!! ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...

Working At Home
Mar 09, 2010

Everyone says "I would love to work from home".  Working from home has been having negative effects on me.  I've been doing this for 12 years.  I never used to have anxiety or depression.  Now, I do.  This job is so isolating.  I'm sick and tired of staying home in my PJs.  I try to get out of the house as much as possible, but little trips to the grocery store is not cutting it.  I get depressed staying home all the time.  I lack a social l ...

Work-at-home
Apr 16, 2010

I have finished my training, but I want to work from home.  Will I have to work onsite first before applying with a company that hires MTs to work at home? ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...

ET Phone Home
Dec 02, 2010

Dictator:  The pateint is also on prophylaxis with acyclovir. VR:  The patient is also on prophylaxis with a cycle in the air.  ...

Home Health
Jan 22, 2011

Is home health capitalized by it self or only when an actual name is placed in front of it? ...

At Home Jobs Other Than MT
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know anything about at home rebate processing jobs or taking survey jobs?I keep getting emails about them but you do have to pay out to get started and I was wondering if it was a scam.  ...