A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you ever wonder how many at-home MTs - wannie

Posted: Nov 16, 2010

take medication for depression/anxiety disorders?

I should but I just smoke a lot. - No message.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

How do you afford that? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
no message

Not poster you are asking, but - Smoking cheaper

[ In Reply To ..]
I roll my own at less than $2 a pack using pipe tobacco cut especially for "make your own" cigarette rolling machines. They did not up the taxes on pipe tobacco like they did regular tobacco, so still very cheap. I don't know how anyone can afford regular store-bought Cigarettes anymore.

or do you wonder - how many MTs

[ In Reply To ..]
cannot afford to take medication for depression/anxiety and have to suffer...

or how many MTs have turned to alcohol to suppress the overwhelming feelings...

or how many MTs have literally taken the stress out on their families and have ruined their lives over this once amazing profession...

or how many have blocked all emotion and have become mentally numb...

Used to Love being an MT, now hate is the word - cud

[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure if all MTs take antidepressants but I do. It is a sad up and down world we live in. I am 47 and looking for a way out.

I do, but ... - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
it's not because of the work. It's because I have a mood disorder. Mine is chemical, not situational.

I take Effexor for my anxiety disorder, but I don't believe - NKC

[ In Reply To ..]
my anxiety is completely job related, although it does contribute to my anxiety on some days, and nowadays I have the constant worry that I will lose my job to outsourcing because it has happened to me in the past.

So yeah, I don't see myself getting off the meds any time soon.

I take citalopram and eat all day! sm - melmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I take medication for depression, but mainly because I have MS. Depression is a major part of MS and is also a side effect of the disease-modifying treatment I'm on. But being a home-based MT doesn't help!! I find myself keeping snacks at my desk all the time - especially candy - anything that I can pop into my mouth quickly during pauses or between jobs. So on top of everything else, I've gained a lot of weight over the years of working at home (which isn't good for MS and then being overweight causes more depression which causes more eating and less motivation to work .. and the cycle just goes round and round ...) Whew, I really sound like a big whiny crybaby, huh? I'm really usually not but the OPs question struck a nerve .... I think working at home as an MT can lead to lots of bad habits and/or physical problems, especially with all the stress and worry related to the state of our industry these days. My main weapon against it all - prayer and trust in my Lord Jesus Christ. :)

me too! - oaf

[ In Reply To ..]
I think it is because we are really socially isolated and by the time we are done for the day we are too exhausted to get out of the house. If I don't take my antidepressants I'd probably find it really hard to get in here most days!!!

I do but did for 25 years before becoming an MT - Ugh

[ In Reply To ..]
However, I think I take more on days when I have a certain doctor whose voice I cannot stand.

I do. My job doesn't cause it, but I don't think it helps it. s/m - Shirl

[ In Reply To ..]
Especially now with so much NWA going on. I'll start off feeling fairly positive. It's a new day. Forget about yesterday's low work. Today could be the day it gets better. But then it doesn't. By the time steady jobs come in, I feel like "what's the point? I'm not going to make enough money anyway" then I slog along until my eyes give out or I just can't stand any more unintelligible dictation.

Makes one want to consider taking something that keeps you awake 24/7 or makes you not give a dang about the lousy dictation that's available, what little there is of it. Not that I could afford it anyway. LOL

Similar Messages:

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

Well, That Hit Home.
Jun 13, 2011

I just did a report that outlined, in great detail, something that my dad went through several years ago.  He died last year and I guess with father's day coming up I am just missing him a lot.  I think that was the hardest report I have ever done!  I stopped in the middle of it and just lifted that patient up in prayer and asked that his family not have to go through what mine did.  I miss my dad!!!! I had to stop working a few minutes early because I just can't st ...

At Home MTs -
Feb 09, 2012

What do your QA people actually do?  I have two jobs, as I've said before.  Both outsource pieces of their work and at both I wonder just what it is that the QA people do?  At both I really wonder how the MT even got their job at all but I really wonder what the QA people do! At the hospital, we send the op reports out, probably 60 a day.  They get done by a company owned by the former Q but they claim they're done in America.  Every day we come in to 50 of t ...

Anything Else To Do From Home?
Nov 26, 2012

Has anyone been successful in finding a non-MT job that can be done from home with benefits?  I'm at 14 years in MT, and just cannot do it anymore.  My daughter was sick this weekend, but of course I can't afford to put her on my insurance with what they charge and what I'm making these days.  This job has turned into a complete nightmare, really need to find something else to do. ...

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

HOME MAKEOVER
Dec 07, 2009

Did anyone see the home makeover with Ty Pennington Sunday night?  The makeover was for a medical transcriptionist.  She got a gorgeous house and the bank paid off her mortgage! ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Do Any At Home MTs Miss This...
Feb 09, 2010

I totally miss getting a huge snowstorm (like today in my area, 10 to 14 inches) and being able to call in to work to say "I can't make it in today... the roads are horrible" I am trying hard to concentrate on work today, but all I want to do is call in to work, go outside and build a huge snowman, then shovel a little, and come in and make a huge mug of hot chocolate and watch it snow.   LET IT SNOW!!!! ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...

Working At Home
Mar 09, 2010

Everyone says "I would love to work from home".  Working from home has been having negative effects on me.  I've been doing this for 12 years.  I never used to have anxiety or depression.  Now, I do.  This job is so isolating.  I'm sick and tired of staying home in my PJs.  I try to get out of the house as much as possible, but little trips to the grocery store is not cutting it.  I get depressed staying home all the time.  I lack a social l ...

Work-at-home
Apr 16, 2010

I have finished my training, but I want to work from home.  Will I have to work onsite first before applying with a company that hires MTs to work at home? ...

Anything Better Than At-home Professions Out There?
May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done? Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't? ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...

ET Phone Home
Dec 02, 2010

Dictator:  The pateint is also on prophylaxis with acyclovir. VR:  The patient is also on prophylaxis with a cycle in the air.  ...

Home Health
Jan 22, 2011

Is home health capitalized by it self or only when an actual name is placed in front of it? ...

At Home Jobs Other Than MT
Apr 25, 2011

Does anyone know anything about at home rebate processing jobs or taking survey jobs?I keep getting emails about them but you do have to pay out to get started and I was wondering if it was a scam.  ...

At-home MT Courses
May 30, 2011

Hi.  Does anyone know of a reputable at-home MT training course?  I have someone asking me for help on that matter, and I don't know where to refer them.  Thanks!  ...

Coding At Home
Dec 31, 2011

I have been an MT for the past 17 years; I have loved the job but this profession is really going down the tubes as far as pay and keeping up with the cost of living.  I'm interested in coding and specifically Andrews school but I LOVE the flexibility of MT and working from home.  What are the work-at-home options for coders?  From what I have read here, the CCS is important.  Any other helpful info would be appreciated.  ...

Getting In A Rut Working From Home
Mar 06, 2012

Becoming pretty much inactive, get up, login and work. Get off, turn on the TV and lay down or maybe spend a few hours on your favorite website. As far as making meals, they are far and few between because you eat in between working, breaks or just grab something totally unhealthy when you get off. Can go a couple of days without showering, lounging in pajamas, maybe groom and fix up once a week to go out for errands. House hold chores suffer because of lack thereof. My bedroom is a t ...

Home Depot No More!!!
Apr 25, 2012

I found a posting board that listed employees complaints about HD. I'm not going there to work. I don't want to get involved in it. It's very very murky there. I've had enough of that kind of thing with the last MT company I worked for. I wish there was a board to post for each MT company. I would have some things like that to say too. I ain't goin there. There are over 1000 complaints from employees and Lowes isn't any better. Go figure. Still unemployed. ...

How Can I Get An At-home Transcription Job?
Jun 23, 2012

How can I get an at-home job as a medical transcriptionist? I have been applying constantly at online positions and they all require "experience" already. Please help! ...

Home Transcription Ad...ha
Jul 08, 2012

Love my job as an at-home MT and love working from home, but that set aside, I think we can all agree that if you're looking to make good money, this is likely not the profession to pursue anymore.  So I saw this ad in one of my magazines, August issue:Train at home to Work at Home . . . Be a Medical Transcriptionist . . . Earn up to $40,000 a year. . . Also, there's a picture of a lady at her computer smiling really big with her 4 or 5-year-old daughter in her lap.  Hahahaha ...

Re: Jobs One Can Do At Home, Aside From MT!
Aug 05, 2012

I'm looking for a new job and check on the Craigslist job listings from time to time.  You have to be careful about jobs listed there since some are scams.  I have responded to a few of them when they list the actual company name, and I've been able to research that it's at least a real and reputable business.  I haven't found the right job, so far; but I have gotten a few interviews, so it's a viable option if you're careful.   Anyway, the jobs ...

Inhouse Vs Home
Aug 31, 2012

Hello! Can anyone tell me how much difference on average is the pay working inhouse for a clinic (not a hospital) versus working as an IC from home? Thank you for you time! :)  ...

What I Like About Working At Home
Nov 17, 2012

Cocktail hour.   ...

Is It Because We Work At Home?
Feb 28, 2013

The lack of respect for our profession, the plummeting wages, no work. In my opinion, when hospitals/clinics started outsourcing and we all went home to work, that's when things got really bad. What do you think? ...

At Home Job Wanted
Apr 08, 2013

I am looking for an at home job and can not find any entry level positions. Does anyone have any advice please???? ...

At Home Billers
May 24, 2013

Any companies that use medical billers at home? ...

New To At-home Transcription
Jan 16, 2014

I am considering doing medical transcription from home. I have never had this sort of job before and need some advice. Does anyone know of a good "starter" company that would offer part-time work?  Is finding a good company just a matter of research and word-of-mouth? I do have 20+ yrs experience. Any advice appreciated!! Thanks! ...

Home For Too Long?
Jan 27, 2014

Hi, I have no job as mine ended the last of December. I'm searching for everything in the MT field, but I'm not having any luck where I live. I sit here worried about transitioning back into the "real world." Getting up early, driving to the job, dressing up, and putting on makeup doesn't bother me. What does worry me is fitting in at a new job. I'm a quiet introverted person who doesn't like to socialize as I hate the office lunches, dinners, gossip, and what have you t ...