A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

At-Home Professions Program - Mo

Posted: Oct 28, 2014

Hey guys,

Has anyone heard of the At-Home Professions Program? Are they a good program, waste of time, or a complete scam?

I am interested in this profession, but don't want to waste my time on the wrong program. Any good or bad advice is helpful. Thanks.

I took their course about 15 years ago. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's definitely not a scam - the course work was good (terminology, anatomy, and lots of dictation from ESL). They also provided a good variation of dictation types - hematology, surgery, pathology, psych). The price was also really affordable and they had a payment plan, which was helpful.

That said, unless they have changed in the last 15 years, they were not considered accredited and I had a hard time at first getting a job. I started out at a local doctor's office and once I had some experience, it was a little easier to apply to places online.

I don't personally know of any other places to study MT from home - hopefully another poster will give you some alternatives. My experience with At-Home-Professions was a good one, but unless they're accredited now, I would keep looking.

Andrews MT program is...SM - Old Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
probably the best there is. It costs more but includes everything, reference books, etc., and real qualified instructors. With the fierce competition for jobs these days, you open doors with an Andrews education...At Home Professions not so much. As long as I have been on these boards 10+ years), At Home has not been well regarded and have seen post by many graduates who couldn't find a job. I say stay away, you'll get what you pay for, a cheap education that gets you nowhere.

Andrews is a far better choice. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Andrews grads have aways gotten jobs quickly, with national, online employers, and they get up to speed quickly. Employers actually prefer them, hiring theur grads almost without question. There were only two schools that employers would hire from like that. The other one , M-TEC, no longer teaches MT.

Graduates of good schools do not have difficulty finding jobs. They do not have to work in low-tier typing jobs in doctors' offices to learn what they should have learned in school.

The problem is not the lack of "accreditation," but the quality of the education. Students of "matchbook" schools are unable to evaluate whether the education was good or not, and usually assume it was just as good as other schools because they do not know what good schools teach. The difficulty in finding a job is not due to the accreditation, but to the school's poor reputation.

I would not advise pursuing MT today, regardless of the school. Salaries are dropping and MTs are being driven out of jobs by technology and offshoring. Find something else!
That is why Andrews offers programs in coding and in billing, which would be a better choice.

A good education is important - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
However, I think it would be better if your education was in something other than medical transcription. There are MT's with 20 to 30 years of experience who cannot find jobs, not too mention the money you can expect to be paid is around minimum wage. Technology and offshoring has taken it's toll on this field despite what the Dept. of Labor says. Don't believe the empty promises these schools make to you, there is no growth here. Best of luck to you.

MT industry is shedding MTs faster than your body shedding dead - skin cells. Most work is offshored to people

[ In Reply To ..]
...in India working for $3 a day. In fact, we are expediting the demise by editing voice rec software! Steer way wide of any school still telling you can support yourself in this field. Just is simply not true anymore!

First Line of Action - see msg

[ In Reply To ..]
First, accredited doesn't necessarily mean "good." Just means recognized and will do federal loans. Means other things too, but not necessarily good. The best school for MT in the country (Andrews) is not accredited. I guess if you are really firm that you are going to do MT, then at least get a good education.

But I still think you would be wasting your money, because the field is a mess.
It's not a profession anymore, it's a slave-labor job.

At Home Professions - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
It is a complete waste of time. Don't waste your time/money.

Similar Messages:

Anything Better Than At-home Professions Out There?
May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done? Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't? ...

Need Advice On AT-HOME PROFESSIONS
Dec 23, 2009

Hello all. I am totally new to this board and to the medical transcripting field. I recently started taking a correspondence course to become a MT, not really knowing what I was doing or who was credible, etc. Now I am wondering if I should have chosen a different course/school. Does anyone have any knowledge of the AT-Home Professions School? Any knowledge or advice you would have to pass on to a novice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much! ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Fort Collins At-home Professions
Feb 03, 2010

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me on an assignment having some difficulties and would greatly appreciate it! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

At-Home Professions - Thoughts And/or Suggestions!
Sep 05, 2012

I am interested in starting courses in MT but want to make the right choice in where to take courses. I sat in on a seminar for a company called At-HomeProfessions. They are accredited and have an A+ rating through the better business bureau. The company is based out of Fort Collins, CO. www.at-homeprofessions.com. Has anyone taken courses through them?? Any suggestions on where to take courses if this isn't the best company to go through? Please let me know thoughts and/or suggestions! ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

Reputation Of "At Home Professions"
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have any information about a company called "At Home Professions"?  i attended a seminar presented by that company to learn more about medical transcription as a profession.  I was impressed by the information and the materials but want to hear from someone who has taken their course.  Is the company credible? Thanks! ...

Jumping Professions
Jan 06, 2010

I am medical transcriptionist contemplating jumping over to coding, is this an easy transition?  Has anybody else done this?  Any information/stories would be helpful as I contemplate this decision. TIA!! ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Change Professions Everyone - It's Time - Here's How I Did It
May 31, 2013

I started medical transcription 16 years ago - all excited and thrilled to be able to work at home.  I made $20 to $25 an hour.  It allowed me to stay home with my children and still have a good income.  16 years ago, the starting rate per line was - .06 per line.  Which is now STILL the starting rate for many companies.  A few lucky old souls out there may get .09 or even .10 a line.  However, when I started, all we did was straight typing.  No pasting notes, ...

For Those On Disability Who Need To Change Professions (sm)
Jan 02, 2014

After I became disabled I went to the state Department of Rehabilitation and was amazed how much help they offer people who need to train for new careers.  The one I went do did complete testing to identify work limitations, gave tests for aptitude and desire for certain types of work, gave career counseling and even offered to pay for training programs, books, and software needed to change professions.  So for those who are disabled and working part time because of it, you might want ...

Hospital Professions Network
Jun 12, 2015

Has anyone used Hospital Professions Network for job searching?  I just stumbled across it, and have never heard of it before.  Thanks in advance for any info!  :) ...

Is The CareerStep Medical Coding Program A Good Program?
Nov 22, 2010

TIA ...

Do You Ever Wonder How Many At-home MTs
Nov 16, 2010

take medication for depression/anxiety disorders? ...

Well, That Hit Home.
Jun 13, 2011

I just did a report that outlined, in great detail, something that my dad went through several years ago.  He died last year and I guess with father's day coming up I am just missing him a lot.  I think that was the hardest report I have ever done!  I stopped in the middle of it and just lifted that patient up in prayer and asked that his family not have to go through what mine did.  I miss my dad!!!! I had to stop working a few minutes early because I just can't st ...

At Home MTs -
Feb 09, 2012

What do your QA people actually do?  I have two jobs, as I've said before.  Both outsource pieces of their work and at both I wonder just what it is that the QA people do?  At both I really wonder how the MT even got their job at all but I really wonder what the QA people do! At the hospital, we send the op reports out, probably 60 a day.  They get done by a company owned by the former Q but they claim they're done in America.  Every day we come in to 50 of t ...

Anything Else To Do From Home?
Nov 26, 2012

Has anyone been successful in finding a non-MT job that can be done from home with benefits?  I'm at 14 years in MT, and just cannot do it anymore.  My daughter was sick this weekend, but of course I can't afford to put her on my insurance with what they charge and what I'm making these days.  This job has turned into a complete nightmare, really need to find something else to do. ...

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

HOME MAKEOVER
Dec 07, 2009

Did anyone see the home makeover with Ty Pennington Sunday night?  The makeover was for a medical transcriptionist.  She got a gorgeous house and the bank paid off her mortgage! ...

Something We Workers-at-home Need To Consider...
Jan 21, 2010

when I started telecommuting full time.It finally penetrated my consciousness a couple of weeks ago that every year, when it came time to renew my auto insurance policy, I used to get a call from a local agent, and we'd go over the policy, making sure there were no changes. One of the questions was always how many miles did I drive to and from work each day, along with the current odometer reading, and the estimated number of miles driven each year.I haven't gotten one of those calls i ...

Do Any At Home MTs Miss This...
Feb 09, 2010

I totally miss getting a huge snowstorm (like today in my area, 10 to 14 inches) and being able to call in to work to say "I can't make it in today... the roads are horrible" I am trying hard to concentrate on work today, but all I want to do is call in to work, go outside and build a huge snowman, then shovel a little, and come in and make a huge mug of hot chocolate and watch it snow.   LET IT SNOW!!!! ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...

Working At Home
Mar 09, 2010

Everyone says "I would love to work from home".  Working from home has been having negative effects on me.  I've been doing this for 12 years.  I never used to have anxiety or depression.  Now, I do.  This job is so isolating.  I'm sick and tired of staying home in my PJs.  I try to get out of the house as much as possible, but little trips to the grocery store is not cutting it.  I get depressed staying home all the time.  I lack a social l ...

Work-at-home
Apr 16, 2010

I have finished my training, but I want to work from home.  Will I have to work onsite first before applying with a company that hires MTs to work at home? ...

Home Vs Hospital
Nov 01, 2010

Was laid off in April.  Have a couple offers from transcription companies, and one from a clinic which is part of a huge school/hospital system in our area, (which actually is through a temp agency).  There are only 2 full-time NP's and a handlful of part-time NP's.  The hospital job is a 45-minute drive, 1-way, in light traffic.  Pay to start is $13, but if this temp goes to permanent, potential is much greater.  The clinic is open M-F, 8-4, closed holidays.&n ...

ET Phone Home
Dec 02, 2010

Dictator:  The pateint is also on prophylaxis with acyclovir. VR:  The patient is also on prophylaxis with a cycle in the air.  ...

Home Health
Jan 22, 2011

Is home health capitalized by it self or only when an actual name is placed in front of it? ...