A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

at-home professions, working, unions and everything else. - xgenra

Posted: May 28, 2010

hey all,

I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon)

And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction.

I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at home isnt ahdi accredited but is there some kind of certification that can fill in the blanks? So far right now I am scoring an 85. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY UNBIASED ADVICE?

thanks in advance

dan, the MT wannabe and "fluffy" the bearded dragon.

At Home Professions - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
You may wish to reevaluate your school. At Home Professions is certainly not a very good choice as an MT school. You could do much better for yourself. Look at either Andrews or M-TEC.

You are scoring an 85% - Typin_away

[ In Reply To ..]
At my school you would be failing out of the program with that score.

Any Mt job requires at least a 98% accuracy.

The Association for MT's is AHDI.

http://www.ahdionline.org/

I graduated 15 years ago from AHP and couldn't find a job - former IC

[ In Reply To ..]
even with a 99.8 average. I finally applied to our local hospital and was hired because they hire "typists", and worked 4 months in house and 9 1/2 years at home, also picking up some of the doctors from the hospital as extra income. I left the hospital because the grass was supposed to be greener on the other side; i.e., nationals. Sure wish I had that hospital job back again.

I did find ATP's transcription part good, but it didn't help me find a job. You're on your own after you graduate from that school.

Andrews is a very respected school. If I had my druthers, I would have checked out the schools more carefully but money was a sticking point with me.

Wow. 85% isn't going to cut it - on the job

[ In Reply To ..]
And as for certification, you will need a lot more (and better quality) training to pass even the RMT exam. The CMT exam still has a two-year acute-care experience requirement, I believe. Or maybe not, but anyway, without the acute-care experience, or at least better training, the CMT exam is probably out of reach. And without better training, it is unlikely that you could get an acute-care job to get the necessary experience.

Sorry not to have better news for you, but the MT job world is very competitive right now. New grads are competing with experienced MTs for a dwindling number of jobs, so it is hard to find an employer who will hire new grads, even from the good schools.

A 4.0 GPA from one school isn't equal to a 4.0 GPA At Another - To Be Fair

[ In Reply To ..]
A GPA doesn't really mean a thing. It's how you test on employment transcription tests that matters. If you did really well in a tough program, you'll probably test well. If you did really well in a not-so-tough program, you won't. I believe that's the formula for our industry, not making any judgments about any specific program.

Fair enough - but

[ In Reply To ..]
If she can't do better than 85% in the AHP program, it is likely that she will have difficulty testing well on an employment test. Just sayin'.
Fair enough, but - Just wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
How many companies feel that having AHP on your resume is a detriment? I have heard that comment from others. Not throwing stones, just asking.
You would have to ask - the people
[ In Reply To ..]
making the hiring decisions. My employer only considers new grads from schools with whose grads she has had good luck in the past. Unfortunately, that group does not include AHP. That's just one employer, others may have different policies. Again, you would have to ask those making the hiring decisions.
Re: AHP - Former MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I would not have given serious consideration to AHP grads and have served in a hiring capacity in more than one MTSO. The AHP education is not in-depth enough. Their grads require too much handholding once on the job. Many, many MTSOs have not had good luck with AHP and yes, MTSOs do talk and network. Many MTSOs look for grads who have used the SUM program and whose program is a good bit more comprehensive than AHP's.
Well, I don't know about that. - former IC
[ In Reply To ..]
It all depends on how much you time and effort put into the studies, how much effort you put into research. Back then, there was not a lot of info on the 'net and it all had to come from books. I made the effort, bought the books necessary, and studied. I bought the SUM program, too. I prepared myself over and above what the course required. I listened to the ESL tapes over and over until I had the accents.

As I said in my above posting, I was hired by a local hospital as a "typist." At the same time, they hired another girl who graduated from another MT course given at the local college.

In one week, I was doing better than the other girl. In fact, she was asking me questions. My RHIM also congratulated me for passing the 90 minute production requirement after that week. The seasoned MTs at the hospital hated to see me leave after those 9-1/2 years and I still keep in touch with them.

So, in reality, time and effort will get the job. If you just skim over everything and take a test. it won't work. This is not a career that you can fly through a course and expect to land a job.

Time and effort do NOT get the job. That's an old saying that was never true - Something of worth has to be being taught
[ In Reply To ..]
There are always people with rose-colored glasses gushing, "If you just work hard enough and never give up, you'll do just fine." That just isn't true.

Ask any recruiters you know and they will most likely tell you that they don't hire from some schools because the graduates of those schools don't cover what they need to learn.

1. All schools are not equal.
2. Spending all the time in the world won't help if the material being taught isn't worth learning.
3. All the effort in the world won't help if the people doing the teaching aren't able to present the material in a way that teaches a future MT to know what they don't know and what to do about it.

I could go on and on about it, but this idea of if you just try hard enough it doesn't matter what you are studying, you'll be just fine, is harmful and wrong information.

It does matter what you are being taught and how it is being taught. The quality of instructors, along with the materials, makes a huge difference in the kind of a job, whether you keep that job, or whether you ever get a job at all. In other words, just as schools are not all equal, neither are jobs.
Re: Time and effort - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
You have hit the nail on the head. Not all educations are equal. I am always amazed when people cheap out and go to the matchbooks and then say "I needed a job quickly and didn't have enough money for one of the top schools." If money is tight, why would you throw it away? And yes, folks, there are certain matchbooks that are little more than scams and having their name on your resume makes many recruiters not even give you a chance. Sad, but true. The saddest thing in my life is seeing these hopeful people (many single mothers) who come forward with their shiny new "diplomas" from these matchbook schools thinking they are going to get jobs. They're not. Most likely they are not even going to get interviews in this market because the market is so tight and the competition is so fierce. Companies want to hire MTs who can hit the ground running, not have to be baby-sat, and can actually produce. They want people who know their way around the MT world. Would you believe I actually had a prospective MT ask me what the SUM program was? And he was an MT? What are the matchbooks teaching these days? Sadly, not much. A little of this, a little of that, yada yada, nothing truly useful in the marketplace. Please, people, do your research on schools BEFORE you enroll and spend your educational dollar carefully. Make sure your school can deliver what you need and what you pay for. It's YOUR dollar you are spending. Don't let yourself get scammed!
So if you were already enrolled in a really pathetic course, would you finish or quit? - Just Wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
Let's say a person is enrolled in a school that is well known for being pretty much useless. They may pay a few companies to hire some of their graduates, but those companies dump the grads shortly after and nobody else will hire them, or they have to work for the lowest pay with little or no chance for an increase, ever. What would you tell them? Would you say to stick in there and finish that course or just cut bait and get out of there, wasting the money but saving a whole lot of time. Is there any value in finishing those poor courses or are they a total waste of time even if they are already paid for or maybe even free?
'Scuse me but I put plenty of time and effort - former IC
[ In Reply To ..]
above and beyond what I was being taught in the course. I went over and over the materials the school sent, bought books or went to the library to study the different specialities if books for certain specialities weren't available, and I learned. That's the time and effort I put into this career.

As I stated before, there weren't many places to research the schools when I decided to become an MT. All I had to go on was what I read in magazines. No 'net info.

I had my first IC job before I graduated, then went to the hospital which included testing by transcribing reports. I picked up 3 more docs while working at the hospital because the docs only hire MTs within the hospital, then on to a national.

I haven't had a bad audit yet with the national and never had one with the hospital. I got bonuses from my docs every year for doing a good job. All the extra time and effort I put into it was worth it.

It's a really a question whether you want a career or if you just want a 'typing' job you can do at home. If the latter is the case, it won't work. If the former, then by all means put the extra time and effort into studies above and beyond the school's instructions.
Former IC - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
You sound like you really know what you are doing and have managed well. I think the problem in a nutshell is that this is the world of transcription. People who want to be TRANSCRIPTIONISTS belong in this world. Typists are a whole nother matter. They are two different thing. Not putting typists down in any way or manner, but transcriptionists are not typists. Those people (such as you) who realize this will always make it because you are professional. The other people who have the "I just wanna type at home so I can take care of.....(whomever)" are likely not going to make it. Wrong motivation, wrong approach. Congratulations on doing so well!
How long ago was that? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Early '90s. There was no WWW back then. - former IC
[ In Reply To ..]
There was a way to get on different sites but it was a really ugly, long, and drawn out, first having to know the address, then making sure you didn't make an error when typing the address, and there weren't many sites, mostly libraries/universities. No windows program, only DOS. It was nothing like today.

I think WWW came along somewhere around 1995-96.

Similar Messages:

Anything Better Than At-home Professions Out There?
May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done? Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't? ...

Need Advice On AT-HOME PROFESSIONS
Dec 23, 2009

Hello all. I am totally new to this board and to the medical transcripting field. I recently started taking a correspondence course to become a MT, not really knowing what I was doing or who was credible, etc. Now I am wondering if I should have chosen a different course/school. Does anyone have any knowledge of the AT-Home Professions School? Any knowledge or advice you would have to pass on to a novice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much! ...

At-Home Professions Program
Oct 28, 2014

Hey guys, Has anyone heard of the At-Home Professions Program? Are they a good program, waste of time, or a complete scam? I am interested in this profession, but don't want to waste my time on the wrong program. Any good or bad advice is helpful. Thanks. ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Fort Collins At-home Professions
Feb 03, 2010

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me on an assignment having some difficulties and would greatly appreciate it! ...

At-Home Professions - Thoughts And/or Suggestions!
Sep 05, 2012

I am interested in starting courses in MT but want to make the right choice in where to take courses. I sat in on a seminar for a company called At-HomeProfessions. They are accredited and have an A+ rating through the better business bureau. The company is based out of Fort Collins, CO. www.at-homeprofessions.com. Has anyone taken courses through them?? Any suggestions on where to take courses if this isn't the best company to go through? Please let me know thoughts and/or suggestions! ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

Reputation Of "At Home Professions"
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have any information about a company called "At Home Professions"?  i attended a seminar presented by that company to learn more about medical transcription as a profession.  I was impressed by the information and the materials but want to hear from someone who has taken their course.  Is the company credible? Thanks! ...

Working From Home?
Dec 01, 2009

Hello,   Im just finishing up a medical transcription course/certification program with Allied schools, and I was wondering if there are any of you MT's working from home or are most of you working in a hospital?  Also have any of you done the online certifications and if you did how did you get some experience under your belt to help you with the job?  I was a veterinary technician for years, so I sort of knew what I was getting into, but it has turned out to be a little mo ...

What I Don't Like About Working At Home Right
Mar 02, 2010

now is that I would really love to tell somebody off!! Yes, I know that may sound childish, but this company has put my stress level through the roof, my blood pressure through the roof, and their BS has me so pissed off, if I were in an office where they were I would find great satisfaction in letting them have it verbally, not in writing.  Yes, I would be fired on the spot, but it would be so worth it.  It's just not the same when they don't have to face someone in person.& ...

Working At Home
Mar 09, 2010

Everyone says "I would love to work from home".  Working from home has been having negative effects on me.  I've been doing this for 12 years.  I never used to have anxiety or depression.  Now, I do.  This job is so isolating.  I'm sick and tired of staying home in my PJs.  I try to get out of the house as much as possible, but little trips to the grocery store is not cutting it.  I get depressed staying home all the time.  I lack a social l ...

Getting In A Rut Working From Home
Mar 06, 2012

Becoming pretty much inactive, get up, login and work. Get off, turn on the TV and lay down or maybe spend a few hours on your favorite website. As far as making meals, they are far and few between because you eat in between working, breaks or just grab something totally unhealthy when you get off. Can go a couple of days without showering, lounging in pajamas, maybe groom and fix up once a week to go out for errands. House hold chores suffer because of lack thereof. My bedroom is a t ...

What I Like About Working At Home
Nov 17, 2012

Cocktail hour.   ...

Moms Of Little Ones And Working At Home
Dec 17, 2009

For all you moms to little ones, have any of you found the best time to work from home?? Late at night? Early in morning? Hire a sitter? What works best? Thanks in advance. Just want some opinions and possibly helpful insight. ...

Do You Get Dressed For Your Day At Home Working?
Jan 22, 2010

For years, I NEVER got dressed.  Worked in sweats, pulled my hair back and that was it.  For the past six months or so, I get completely dressed, put on makeup, and for some reason, I feel A LOT better now and enjoy my work more!  That sounds crazy, I agree, but ws wondering how many get dressed to start their day and how many roll out of bed and into the computer chair.  Oh, but I am NOT able to wear shoes though, lol, I can't seem to work my foot pedal with them on:) ...

Anyone Take An Outside Job After Working At Home For Years?
Jan 28, 2010

A month or so ago, I sent a resume for a medical/legal transcription position locally and forgot all about it until they called today! Being in the middle of an op report, I wasn't thinking and said yes to an interview on Monday. I haven't worked outside the home in 15 years! I don't really have anything to wear in a lawyer's practice anymore. I don't know if I should cancel the interview or go.  Will I be able to handle working outside the home again? A ...

What Can I Deduct Working From Home?
Jan 28, 2010

For those who have filed taxes, can you give me some insight as to what I can write off on my taxes being self-employed? Any suggestions and advice would be most apprecieated. ...

Questions About Working From Home
Feb 04, 2011

I have a few questions about working from home.  I have a full-time job as a transcriptionist for a hospital, but I have recently applied to a company to do transcription from home, part-time.  I get paid an hourly wage at my job, but the company pays by the dictated minute, and I am not sure if it is a good wage.  They have a minimum requirement of 200 dictated minutes per week, and the pay is $1.15 per dictated minute.  If anyone who works from home could let me know if thi ...

Working With A New Baby At Home....
Mar 15, 2011

Hi all :)   I wondered if I might be able to get some advice from those of you who have worked from home with a new baby.  My baby was born in February and I'm due to start back to work soon.  I have an older boy, but I worked outside the home with him.  My baby is breast fed, which makes me wonder about how you handled frequent feedings.  Also, I wanted to know what you used if you needed to keep typing but be able to hold the baby as well.  I thought I would ...

Anyone Who DOESN'T Like Working At Home?
May 17, 2014

just wondering if I'm the only one.   Even though I dearly love being an MT. Reasons being ... Feel like I don't even know how to have a face-to-face conversation with people anymore.  SO bad for one's health, sitting all day.  Feel trapped in my house. Stressed because I have to maintain my equipment -- I don't understand computer functions, so need others' help when fix-ups need to be made (kids, husband).  Kind of like that one subject ev ...

Question About Working Out Of Home - Sm
Apr 17, 2015

Does anyone know if I can take off during part of the year and still work "from home" but using Wifi somewhere like a campsite for a few months? ...

Social Contact And Working At Home
Jan 21, 2010

I'm strongly considering working at home. Do any of you who work at home have tips on balancing out the long hours working alone with having social contact, especially those of you who live alone or live with one other person?  I'm already an introvert to an extent but I'm nervous of the fact that if I work at home, I may become a hermit.  ...

Type Of Computer For Working At Home??
Apr 26, 2010

I am needing to replace my computer-- my desktop is so slow it is really nonfunctional and I fried my laptop.  My question is, I would prefer to buy another laptop but if I wanted to do work from home, does a laptop really suffice?  Is it possible to hook up a wireless mouse and real keyboard to it, and is it possible to connect a foot pedal to it?  If not, I will need to look at desktops.     Thanks for any advice anyone can give out there! ...

Working At Home With Small Children
Jan 30, 2011

For all of you MTs who have smaller kids (elem. schoolage and younger), how do you manage your hours? I have a preschooler and another one 2nd grade and I'm currently working second shift, but this isn't working out too well with all the "family stuff" that needs to be done like getting dinner, giving baths, helping with homework, just routine stuff.  The problem is there's really not enough work for me to work 1st shift and I've been in this business long enough to ...

Question About Working Away From Home Occasionally.
Feb 02, 2012

My mother is getting pretty old and sickly, has CHF among other things.  One of my sisters is already bearing more than her share of responsibility taking care of mom, but she lives the closest. Still, in the very near future, the rest of us are going to have to rotate in and out of taking care of mom, so it's spread out more equally. My question:  If I already use a PC with a DSL line at home, and plan to visit mom for a week once every 4-5 weeks, and be able to work from h ...

Laid Off. Questions Regarding Working At Home
Apr 30, 2013

I was laid off from my part-tme MT position.  I have 30+ years experience in acute care transcription.  I am researching what MT companies, if any, provide equipment.  I also prefer a company that does straight transcription, acute care.  I have a laptop but prefer not to use it.  If need be, I would purchase a desktop.  I have wireless.  I do not have experience with VR.  Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.     ...

Working With Young Kids At Home
May 30, 2013

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions to work at home with 2 small kids, under age of 3.  Losing a babysitter and have no other options.  I have done it before but not for long periods of time.  Any helpful hints or suggestions would be appreciated. ...

Do You Wear Headphones Working At Home?
Sep 20, 2013

I just saw the other question re headphones and wondered how many use them working at home?  I'm home alone while I'm working and just never thought to use them. I also seem to be able to hear better through the speakers.  If you do use them, is it because you have better quality with them? ...