A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

at-home professions - job placement after graduating? - typingdixie

Posted: Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating?

at-home professions - laurieb

[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently in the last couple in course 4 and then on to 5 in at-home professions too!. I have heard ups and downs and not sure who to believe on this subject anymore. I once thought I was at the wrong school but I am not quitting now.

Good luck and what course are you on?

at-home professions - carlys

[ In Reply To ..]
I am currently in course 4 with at-home professions. I am very discouraged with what I have been reading and have read. This makes me nervous with what I am reading. Hope I find a job after this. I understand that they are not AHDI certified. How hard is it to find a job with out them being certified? I am not quitting but not sure what to do!

at-home professions - hardwrkr

[ In Reply To ..]
I just completed the MT course through an AHDI-approved school. It has been 6 weeks since I graduated and I have yet to find an employer who is interested in hiring newbies. Considering the hard work of the course and the money invested, I am very discouraged.

I took that course in 1997 - uh-oh

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to beg and scrape and scrap to get my first MT job. Once I did that and got past the first 6 months it was easier to find work after that.

However, At-Home Professions is not an AHDI approved school. That makes it a bigger issue than one of those that are AHDI approved, like Career Step, etc.

Last I knew, Career Step grads were able to get on with Medquist without much trouble. Remember, get on somewhere and stay there for a while to get the experience behind you. Then find something else you like better.

For anyone considering MT school, I heart that a company called MTS of Texas has their own school and they give you and internship when you finish. Not exactly sure how long it takes or how much it costs, but it is a thought!

typing Dixie - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Please don't waste your time on At-Home Professions. It will get you nowhere, nor will it prepare you to be hired and succeed. Good luck to you!

At-Home Professions - Rosie

[ In Reply To ..]
Typical on-line ripoff business. ABSOLUTELY no knowledge of, or interest in, job placement. Costs the usual $7,500 for complete course. Doesn't even know about appropriate references. I know this because I've been teaching in real schools for 20+ years (transcribing waaay more years than that) & frequently have students who've paid that huge amount, and then take my $325/semester course because they need to learn how to actually be medical transcriptionists.

What a ripoff! - deb

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! $7500 for a "correspondence course" from a company that also teaches TV repair and other useless crap, when you could get the best MT education there is at the #1 MT School, Andrews School.

These other schools don't help with placement because they CAN'T - too many places will not hire their "grads" because they know they're not trained well enough. I have seen MANY posts on here from people who went to Allied, At-Home Professions, Penn Foster, etc. who still hadn't found a job many months later.

If anyone is trying to decide on a school, you can't go wrong with Andrews School. You hardly ever hear of an Andrews grad that couldn't get a job.

At-Home Professions - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I took AHP's course in 2003 and graduated in 2004, but it took me until July 2005 to find a job. They don't help you find a job. They don't refer you to anybody and they are not accredited.
AHP - MargoMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I completed the AHP course in January 2006. AHP is not an accredited school, and they do not offer job assistance once you graduate. However, I feel it is up to the individual to select the school that you want to attend. Once I completed, the course I worked in an in-house transcription position for a year. I then applied and received my first at home transcription job and have been employed ever since. I have really not had any problems locating a MT job.

What a ripoff! - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
Deb, that's why they are called MATCHBOOK SCHOOLS. If a school does not use the SUM program, it is not worth it.

Similar Messages:

Anything Better Than At-home Professions Out There?
May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done? Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't? ...

Need Advice On AT-HOME PROFESSIONS
Dec 23, 2009

Hello all. I am totally new to this board and to the medical transcripting field. I recently started taking a correspondence course to become a MT, not really knowing what I was doing or who was credible, etc. Now I am wondering if I should have chosen a different course/school. Does anyone have any knowledge of the AT-Home Professions School? Any knowledge or advice you would have to pass on to a novice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much! ...

At-Home Professions Program
Oct 28, 2014

Hey guys, Has anyone heard of the At-Home Professions Program? Are they a good program, waste of time, or a complete scam? I am interested in this profession, but don't want to waste my time on the wrong program. Any good or bad advice is helpful. Thanks. ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

Fort Collins At-home Professions
Feb 03, 2010

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me on an assignment having some difficulties and would greatly appreciate it! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

At-Home Professions - Thoughts And/or Suggestions!
Sep 05, 2012

I am interested in starting courses in MT but want to make the right choice in where to take courses. I sat in on a seminar for a company called At-HomeProfessions. They are accredited and have an A+ rating through the better business bureau. The company is based out of Fort Collins, CO. www.at-homeprofessions.com. Has anyone taken courses through them?? Any suggestions on where to take courses if this isn't the best company to go through? Please let me know thoughts and/or suggestions! ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...

Reputation Of "At Home Professions"
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have any information about a company called "At Home Professions"?  i attended a seminar presented by that company to learn more about medical transcription as a profession.  I was impressed by the information and the materials but want to hear from someone who has taken their course.  Is the company credible? Thanks! ...

How To Find A Job Just After Graduating
Feb 15, 2010

Hello!  I was hoping someone could give me some pointers or ideas on where I could get my first job as a MT.  Does anyone know of any companies that are inclined to give newbies their first chance?  Are there any transcription jobs, not necessarily medical, that one could get easier to build experience?  If anyone has any comments please let me know.  Thank you. ...

Remote Job After Graduating
Mar 28, 2013

I'm curious how many of you graduated from your medical coding/billing course and found a job to work remotely?  I'm currently a transcriptionist looking to enroll in a coding/billing course, but will not be able to work onsite to gain experience that most of these companies are wanting.  I've been doing some research and most of them want you to have 3 years onsite experience.  I will need something remotely after graduation.  I thought I would check here and ...

Graduating October 30, 2012 Looking For Work
Oct 02, 2012

I will be finished with school at the end of this month. Does anyone hire recent grads? How can I get into the field if everyone wants to hire only those with experience? I could use some help on this. Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Thank you, ***** ...

Oh, Great Just What I Needed To See So Close To Graduating
Nov 30, 2012

Before I get jumped on for trying to "stir the pot", I  come to this forum quite often.  I am a medical transcriptionist and am almost done with my coding course.  I will be taking the CPC sometime in January or February.  However, upon doing research on obtaining a coding job after graduating, I came across this.  Of course the date is 2011, but it's still fairly recent.  This is from the AAPC forum board.  My heart literally sank when I saw this.  O ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

Jumping Professions
Jan 06, 2010

I am medical transcriptionist contemplating jumping over to coding, is this an easy transition?  Has anybody else done this?  Any information/stories would be helpful as I contemplate this decision. TIA!! ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Change Professions Everyone - It's Time - Here's How I Did It
May 31, 2013

I started medical transcription 16 years ago - all excited and thrilled to be able to work at home.  I made $20 to $25 an hour.  It allowed me to stay home with my children and still have a good income.  16 years ago, the starting rate per line was - .06 per line.  Which is now STILL the starting rate for many companies.  A few lucky old souls out there may get .09 or even .10 a line.  However, when I started, all we did was straight typing.  No pasting notes, ...

For Those On Disability Who Need To Change Professions (sm)
Jan 02, 2014

After I became disabled I went to the state Department of Rehabilitation and was amazed how much help they offer people who need to train for new careers.  The one I went do did complete testing to identify work limitations, gave tests for aptitude and desire for certain types of work, gave career counseling and even offered to pay for training programs, books, and software needed to change professions.  So for those who are disabled and working part time because of it, you might want ...

Hospital Professions Network
Jun 12, 2015

Has anyone used Hospital Professions Network for job searching?  I just stumbled across it, and have never heard of it before.  Thanks in advance for any info!  :) ...

Placement Of Something
Jan 02, 2010

I am hearing a new one on emergency room reports.  They are saying what sounds like "An INT was placed."  What is the INT?  It is placed with cardiac monitors and such. ...

S/l *cosoft* Placement
Jun 28, 2010

Patient underwent dental prosthetic implant with s/l *cosoft* placement, which will be removed at his postop visit ...

Comma Placement
Apr 12, 2011

I know a comma is to be placed after the year, i.e., On March 27, 2011, she underwent an operation.  But, what about when formatted this way?  3/27/2011?  Do you still place a comma after the year? TIA! ...

Reservoir Placement??
May 16, 2011

A Ommaya reservoir placement for this treatment is there for a requested ___ technique.   words sounds like trait somewhat but is muffled....any ideas? Thank you! ...

Placement Change
Jan 04, 2012

If they offer you a "placement change" (which sounds a little fishy since all of the regions have no work as far as I can tell)...do you have to accept the change if it means a schedule change (i.e. shift)????  Why should we have to change our shifts????? Geez.... ...

Comma Placement?
Apr 27, 2012

I get these types of sentences constantly and always question my comma placement. "We will see her back in the office following her injection and if she does not improve, we would consider surgical intervention at that time." My question is whether there should be a comma either before or after "and." I know a comma needs to separate 2 independent clauses but the introductory phrase in the second clause throws me off. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) ...

PICC Line Placement
Mar 15, 2010

A s/l nominate wire was inserted through the needle and the needle was removed. ...

Review Of A Job Placement Company
Sep 03, 2010

Does anyone know anything about a job placement company called "Remote Contractor Job Placement Svc"  (RCJPS)?? ...

On Arterial Line Placement...
Nov 09, 2011

...it sounds like he is saying "after "ziering" of the sensor, appropriate waveforms were noted.  Is "ziering" right? ...

Correct Placement Of X (for Times).
Jan 30, 2013

Should there be a space or no space between the x and the number? Is there a reference to this anywhere or just personal preference? Ex: p.o. x1 or p.o. x 1 ...