A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Change professions everyone - it's time - here's how I did it - Free At Last

Posted: May 31, 2013

I started medical transcription 16 years ago - all excited and thrilled to be able to work at home.  I made $20 to $25 an hour.  It allowed me to stay home with my children and still have a good income.  16 years ago, the starting rate per line was - .06 per line.  Which is now STILL the starting rate for many companies.  A few lucky old souls out there may get .09 or even .10 a line.  However, when I started, all we did was straight typing.  No pasting notes, no entering demographics, no looking up fax numbers, etc., etc.  Just typing.  I continued to transcribe through the years and did find a company where I could at least make halfway decent money consistently, though still less than when I started 16 years ago.  I worked for that company for 6 years.  A few months ago, without warning, their main client switched platflorms, to a point and click (not VR!!!!) system, which doubled our work time for the same number of lines, and eliminated the need for many transcriptionists.  I again found myself unemployed, and as a 1099 self-employed transcriptionist who had not paid in the unemployment tax, I qualified for nothing.  We literally went from having more work than we could do, to having nothing.  I was making about $4 or $5 an hour on the days that I was lucky enough to have work. 

I know all of you know this - if you are intelligent enough to be a medical transcriptionist, then you are more intelligent than probably half the population.  Yet we are paid crap.  Because of technology.  It is just a fact of life that times change and companies are always trying to look at how to lower their overhead costs.

I was in complete shock.  I applied at every temp agency I could find.  I started with another transcription company and again, could make barely any money, plus I was so disheartened with the entire industry I just couldn't make myself do it. 

I prayed - a lot - and exposed myself to lots of people.  I took a temp job working at a booth in the mall.  I talked to a lady who told me about government financial aid opportunities for school.  I did not think I would qualify because I get child support and alimony.  But I applied.  And I did qualify.  The money I get is enough to cover my school expenses as well as giving me enough money to live on (more than I made doing transcription).  I also took a job walking dogs part-time.  I am out and about, playing with pets, getting fresh air and exercise.  And on my way to a new career in two years.  A lot of the financial aid is through grants, and part is through subsidized and unsubsidized student loans.  I am not borrowing enough to owe a fortune when I finish school.  The part that is loans will start to be due six months after I either finish (or if I quit) school. 

I know some of you are happy with your jobs and doing fine and don't need this information.  For those of you who feel like you are dying inside, letting day after day pass by while you sit behind a computer with earphones in, typing like a robot, please consider applying.  Your credit does not matter at all when it comes to student loans!  The only thing that would stop you is if you have previously unpaid student loans. 

I am a single mom and my entire life has changed since being laid off from my job a few months ago.  I want to offer hope to anyone who feels like I did.  I also want to offer a warning to anyone who is currently trying to enter this field.  It is a dying field.  I was actually offered a course to teach an adult education program in medical transcription.  As much as I wouild love to be a teacher, I refused to teach people this and give them false hopes.  This is a dying field.  Look for something else, please!!!

Two questions for you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
What are you going to school for? And, what government loans are you getting? I know of the Pell grant and the Stafford loans, but what else is there? I want to go back to school so bad but I'm unsure how I would pay my bills.

School - Free At Last

[ In Reply To ..]
All you have to do is fill out a FAFSA application online. It is fafsa.gov (NOT fafsa.com). You will get an email back in a few days letting you know what you qualify for. I already have a two year degree (A.A.) and I am going to Liberty University (all online) working on a B.S. in Business Admin with a focus on healthcare. I am also taking coding classes at a local community college. I have ot pay for that myself because FAFSA will only pay for one school at the time. There are also some really good programs out there for people who want to get an RHIT, which is sort of an advanced medical coding degree. With that, you could still work at home. I am going another direction because my children are teenagers and by the time I finish school I am ready to work away from home and get some benefits. Almost everyone qualifies. I have a bankruptcy on my credit history and I still qualified.

Thanks for your reply! - Good luck to you. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Good luck to you too - and by the way sm - Free At last
[ In Reply To ..]
You do not have to have a two year degree (or any type of degree) to do this. And you do not have to choose an online school. And to anyone considering this - please be careful to research the school you decide to go with. You don't want an expensive school that is going to use up all your financial aid and leave you with a degree you can't use.

Pleasantly surprised I qualify - for some tuition help. sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for the FAFSA info.
Congratulations! - Free At Last
[ In Reply To ..]
I am very glad you qualified! Please see some of the posts below about what might be better degree options unless you are already sure of what you are going to major in. While I put my post on here to be an encouragement, and definitely not to be "the authority on degrees" I have apparently been misinformed about RHIT and may be changing degree programs myself. I hope you find the perfect career for yourself. I personally am enjoying every minute of being a student again, working outdoors part-time, and not transcribing.

RHIT - Been there

[ In Reply To ..]
You are mistaken about RHIT being an "advanced medical coding degree." Most of the time, people with RHIT credentials do not code at all but are more involved in management or as medical records technicians. Very few RHITs work at home. In fact, coders do not work at home without quite a bit of work experience. The application process for FAFSA is pretty involved, and applications get rejected if it is not done correctly the first time. Also, "not almost everyone" qualifies. They base it on your household income and a number of other factors. If you are going to give people information, you could make sure you have all the facts first.
FAFSA pretty involved - LoveMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I did it online, and it took me less than an hour to finish the application on Friday. I got my email today stating that I was eligible for grants and that the schools I had chosen would be contacting me with more information on other possible programs that I was eligible for.

It is not that lengthy a process when done online IF you have filed income tax returns every year. It actually pulls your income tax returns and merges it into your application. So, no it is NOT that involved and NOT that time consuming to apply.

FAFSA/RHIT - Free at Last
[ In Reply To ..]
I was recommended to go for an RHIT degree rather than CCS by my friend who has been a coder for many years, but she may have meant to recommend RHIA, I am not sure. However, I have two friends who have been medical coders for quite some time and both work from home, and did not work in an office for a long time before coding at home. There are many companies, which they are aware of, who hire coders from home.

While I may be mistaken about RHIA, my purpose in writing was not to be an educational advisor but to be an encourager. FAFSA is NOT that difficult to apply for at all. It does require that you upload your last year's taxes, which is very simple. I did mess up on my first application and was given a chance to change it. Everyone will not qualify, but for those who do - they need to know that it is out there to apply for. I personally, did not think I would qualify, and yet I did. And frankly, statistic show that most peole do qualify. If you do not, you probably had a pretty substantial income from the year before.

Not Free Yet -- And correction about RHIT - See Msg

[ In Reply To ..]
You are not going to like this post, but this is something that needs to be said. Part of what you said is just wrong, part is misleading, and there is consumer information others need to be aware of.

First, the correction. The RHIT is not "sort of an advanced medical coding degree." It has nothing at all to do with being advanced in ANY area of health information management, and especially not coding.

The RHIT is 2-year, generalist, a-little-of-everything,introduction to working in medical records. It prepares individuals to work in entry-level technician positions--assembling and filing records, releasing information, and so forth. This can include coding, but the RHIT is only minimally qualifying for coding . . . it is "entry level." To code, you still need a coding credential. It is the coding credential, i.e., the CCS or CCS-P, that demonstrates mastery-level coding ability.

The misleading part of what you said is that you can still work at home with an RHIT. In fact, working at home with an RHIT is nearly impossible. Most medical records workers can only work in a hospital or other facility. Assembling, filing, customer service, and photocopying is primarily on-site work. Pretty much the only medical records workers who can work off-site are coders and consultants. Those jobs are few and far between and nearly always require considerable experience and extreme abilities. Not to mention coding credentials, and if an RHIA is applying, they will prefer them.

Finally the consumer information. Your post made it sound as though you had already completed your education and found a job because of it. The problem is that you haven't even started school yet -- you've just registered. You aren't free yet.

You are, obviously, happy with your decision. You may or may not be interested in a little consumer information -- I expect not -- but others need to hear it.

In terms of getting a job, a bachelor's in business administration, health care focus notwithstanding, is not a good choice. It sounds like it would be really great, because it may appear to be a "business degree," but it actually qualifies you for absolutely nothing except perhaps low-level management in retail sales. it is NOT an MBA or anywhere close to one. It isn't even a good stepping stone to an MBA, where degrees in economics or accounting would be more appropriate.

There is very little in healthcare that you could do with a BS in Business Administration alone. Which is what you will have. Most people find that they need to get something else for even an entry job in healthcare . . . an RHIT, coding, respiratory therapy, lab tech, etc.

Your choice of schools is your choice, but before others flock to what they may think is a fabulous online opportunity that passes out money like water, there are some things they need to know.

The tuition at that school is estimated to be $19,968 per year. Only 73%, or only 3 in 4, students remain after 1 year. Worse, only 26% graduate on time. From a consumer standpoint, that is unbelievably poor performance in a school. There is about a 3 in 4 chance that a student will not graduate -- ever -- yet will owe more money than they can ever hope to repay.

If you doubt this, start googling the whole high-tuition, guaranteed student loan situation. This scenario is notoriously bad.

Furthermore, that school's academic reputation is not so good that it would support an application to a decent MBA program. You might not think you want one now, but you will after you finish that BS and find employers think it's BS. And that they do not need to select you because the market is flooded with MBAs. Which they prefer. Naturally.

If you are not very familiar with higher education, you may think that 20K a year is to be expected. It is not. You may think that a 26% graduation rate is expected. It is not. You may think that any college major is a good choice. You'd be wrong.

There are schools that cost far less and have a much higher graduation rate. There are also degree programs that are much better for getting jobs.

If you are interested in working in health care without being an actual health care provider like a nurse, one of the most sensible and reasonable options right now is a degree in health information management leading to an RHIA. This is an extremely valuable choice because it used to be very, very difficult to complete a program like that--there were very few and they were not online.

Now, however, you have several good online choices, with one being superb. Compare your 20K/yr program that you have only a 1 in 4 chance of finishing and next to no job prospects if you do with a degree from Western Governors University. WGU is not a diploma mill. It is just totally online, specialized to offer only online programs, and does so offering only marketable degrees. The kind you can get a job with. They have a high completion rate and unbelievably low tuition.

You, or anyone reading this who is looking to get out of MT, need to consider the BS in health information/health informatics from Western Governors. It leads to the RHIA, on which their students have a 100% pass rate. That's evidence of the quality of this program. Their students also graduate with a coding credential and several desirable certifications in computer administration. Some of their students complete it in 2.5 years. Since their tuition is based on time, not course credit, you can cut the total cost down significantly by being motivated to finish quickly. They charge 2,890 per 6-month term, or less than 6,000 a year. And, yes, they offer financial aid. As well as superb student support -- they do not leave you at home floundering like every other university will.

As I said, you might not have liked reading this, but others need to hear what I said.

Thanks - Free At Last
[ In Reply To ..]
Actually I appreciate your reply. I am posting from my point of view, the things that I am aware of. You obviously have more knowledge about the subject and it is really helpful that you added it - for others and for me. I do feel "free" already because I am surviving, paying my bills, and not transcribing. I encouraged everyone to research their degree before beginning. I was not trying to encourage people to pursue the same degree as me or to go to the same school. My point was to let people know that they can apply for FAFSA and change careers, not to be the all-knowing tree of knowledge. However, RHIT is not as pathetic as you make it sound. I have a close friend who has been a medical coder, now in management in coding, and she works from home. She is the one who recommended to me to get an RHIT rather than becoming a CCS. She says there are many more job opportunities as a RHIT. I honestly am just getting started, and I am not completely decided about staying in the program I am in. However, for me, it was a huge step just to take the risk to get out there and apply for FAFSA and begin school. Obviously there are failure rates. Anyone knows that if they don't complete their degree, then they are not going to succeed. But one can't start out with the idea that they are going to be one of the ones to drop out, can they? I know that I am free from transcription. I may not have a degree yet. I may not have another job yet. But I have broken out of the mentality that transcriptionis the only thing I can do. If for some reason my financial aid is taken away, if for some reason I fail, no matter. I was making about minimum wage killing myself sitting all day as a transcriptionist. I am sure I can continue walking dogs or cleaning toilets for the rest of my life if I need to. But I am Free at Last from transcription. That's a fact.

Free at Last - Just to point out

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree that there would be better options. If you are taking coding classes, you must plan to work as a coder. In that case the BS in business would be pretty much of a waste, because it is not going to help you one whit with coding or any HIM job.

You can spend oodles and 2 years to get that and still be unable to sit for the RHIA exam.

Here is the likely scenario. You will get a job in coding, then spend 40K+ to get that BS in biz, use up your fin aid eligibilities, and then discover that the jobs and incomes you want require an RHIA. You will then go for the alternative route to an RHIA, involving a postbaccalaureate certificate in HIA. Which will take another 2 years and 30K+, depending on the school. And your financial aid will be gone, plus you will still be paying back those loans.

I agree that you are unlikely to benefit from the BS in biz. It will be 2 years of wasted effort and money.

You would do much better to go straight for a BS in health information administration or informatics. It would save both time and money.

Thanks - Free At Last
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, I will look into that. I am just getting started in all of this and wanted to encourage everyone to apply for FAFSA and look into getting some sort of degree, definitely not to encourage people to follow what I am doing as far as degree and school. I am still sorting through information myself. But I wanted to at least get started, which I have done. I am, however, going to look into the option of changing degrees and whether or not changing schools will affect my financial aid.

Thanks for the info - MTSlave

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you, your post is very encouraging.

I am getting ready to start the enrollement process on going back to school to get an AS degree for PTA. I still have to go through all the testing and the interview process. I am very concerned about qualifying for my student loan. Your post is very encouraging in that regard. I hope to start school in October for a 20 month program. Hopefully my MT job will hold out until I am done (crossing fingers!!).

i just applied to the FASFA a few days ago - ExMeridianer

[ In Reply To ..]
I too am worried about paying bills for my house and 3 kids, etc etc. I got my email back 2 days ago saying that my local college has received my FASFA info, and they'd let me know if and what i qualify for soon.

I have credit card bills up the arse, i am not too keen on taking on another loan, but I'm exploring my options.

Dying profession - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your uplifting and encouraging post! I too have been in this field for 16 years, and I really do love the medical field, BUT I hate what has become of our pay and the LONG hours sitting behind a computer. When I started 16 years ago, I was making about $15-$20 bucks an hour working from home. I LOVED it, and I couldn't get enough, often working on my days off and in between to fill the spots of other MTs who were burnt out and needed some time off.

In the last few months since my company was "bought out" by one of the "big ones", I have become more and more disheartened, and I have actually come to the point where I DREAD having to start my shift! It's sad, but it's true... I have actually considered going to work for minimum wage at McDonald's or ANY other place JUST to get out from behind this dang computer. When I first started, I could do my work within 6 hours and have the rest of the day off. There were no "rules" stating I had to work for 8 hours, only that I had to meet the minimum line requirement, which I was able to do in 6 hours straight typing. Now, it takes me anywhere from 9 to 10 hours to make the exact same amount of money I was making in 6 hours straight typing! That's just ridiculous! Not to mention that my hands are just blown from typing and/or editing for 10 hours a day.

I have "trigger finger" in my right hand, and I just don't feel as though I can do this anymore. I have given this company that took us over a little time and I have gotten used to all the changes, BUT I will never get used to sitting in front of my computer for 10 hours a day. I don't want to work 10 hours a day for peanuts anymore. If I have to make minimum wage, then I'd much rather have a job that starts a at a certain time and ENDS at a certain time, and when that job is done, I'm done for the day. This job is never-ending. If I can't make my line quota or what I NEED to make in order to pay bills during any given day because there "isn't enough work" or (insert whatever other excuse has been given), then I have to "flex" my time, and that means missing a lot of family time.

My family is very important to me. My kids are growing up and moving on before my very eyes, and I'm tired of missing out on things because "well we need you to work such and such because someone is sick, on vacation, etc., etc., etc...

I'm not a single mom, but my husband is severely disabled and on a fixed income, so basically what I make pays the majority of the bills. We have already lost our home and are back living with his elderly father. We still have 2 children at home. My question for you is, do you think that I could go back to school for something else AND be able to pay my car note and various other bills that my husband's pitiful fixed income doesn't cover?

I have already given thought to going back to school, but the fact that I might have to work full time and try to go to school has stopped me because I don't think I can do both. I'm 45 years old, so I really don't think I'm "too old" to go back to school. I just want to do something that at least keeps me content and something that I won't dread going to do.

Since I love the medical field, I'd like to try my hand at nursing or even being a nurse's aide. We live in a VERY small community, and jobs are few and far between for anything that doesn't require some type of schooling.

After being swapped around so many different accounts and now working on week 3 where I have barely gotten ANY work from my primary account (because there are new people hired now and all of the work is just gone), I'm just tired of playing the game. I'm tired of bouncing all over and being the person who picks up everyone else's leftovers... I want something else, something that will at least give me some hope, and something that won't make me work 24 hours a day in order to at least have a fairly decent paycheck.

Please feel free to email me privately with suggestions on where I begin looking for grants, etc. in order to further my education and get out of this nightmare that my profession has become.

I'd be much obliged for anything at all that you might share with me. :)

Again, thank you for your encouraging words! I know that if a single mom can do it, then so can I! I've done this for so long, I wouldn't even know where to begin to look in order to start the ball rolling so I CAN get out!

I've even come to hate payday! Paydays make - me depressed! I hate my company.

[ In Reply To ..]

Payday - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I totally agree with you.... I HATE payday too... Never seems like my check is enough, and it always seems as though I have worked WAY more than the 40 hours showing up on my timecard (which I probably have). It's a sad, sad thing to figure out your hourly income and find that it's anywhere between $8 and $9 per hour, even after working at break-neck speed to get through report after report after report.

What really gets my goat is when I have to stop and look for some random doctor's name that was mentioned in the report but is not on the hospital staff, especially when NO first name is given AND that doctor's last name is a foreign name that could have a million different spellings. so annoying... Even secretaries make more money than what I make!
Oh how I dread payday! - Disgusted MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I also hate how the company I work for provides absolutely no way for me to verify the work I have done (in this case pages, not lines). Oh and heaven help me if there is a discrepancy in my paycheck. My emails fall on deaf ears - dead silence (aka Silent). I just can't wait to finish school and be rid of MT for good!
I dont waste time looking up random docs' names. - I leave a blank and move on. (nm)
[ In Reply To ..]

Your post could have been written by me. - mt2

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel the exact same way. Working for peanuts - I've been a MT for 25 years. I'm 55 - will have to work another 12 years so will be looking into some grant money also for a different career. :)

What's really sad about the pay is I was making - 6 cents/line back in 1977. :(

[ In Reply To ..]
It was decent pay back then, but now 6 cpl isn't even worth getting out of bed for in the morning.

Changing here too. Just got a job offer! Out of the bird cage I go! - MTJ

[ In Reply To ..]
I never ever, in my wildest dreams, thought I'd be leaving MT and heading out into the world, or that I'd feel so much excitement and relief, but here I am!

Congrats to you!!! nm - MTSlave

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

My basic message is - Free At Last

[ In Reply To ..]
The basic message that I was trying to convey is hope. I am definitely not an educational advisor and I can't recommend a specific degree. I was just giving the knowledge that I have, from my own worldview. I was letting people know that I was pleasantly surprised that I qualified for assistance through FAFSA and that I have gotten out of transcription that way. Whether or not my chosen degree is perfect, who knows? I may end up changing my degree program - I don't know. What I do know is that I personally did qualify for financial assistance. And I do know that the medical transcription field is tanking. And I do know that people need to start looking for SOMETHING - whether it is a college degree or another job outside of the transcription field. It is a sinking ship. Way back when, my mother used to work as a seamstress. Technology and factories and outsourcing made her job obsolete and at some point she had to change jobs. It is the same scenario here. Transcriptionists are intelligent people. Don't sit there and continue typing, trying to wear a life jacket and work while the ship sinks. Find a lifeboat, get to shore, and find out what else is out there.

Similar Messages:

For Those On Disability Who Need To Change Professions (sm)
Jan 02, 2014

After I became disabled I went to the state Department of Rehabilitation and was amazed how much help they offer people who need to train for new careers.  The one I went do did complete testing to identify work limitations, gave tests for aptitude and desire for certain types of work, gave career counseling and even offered to pay for training programs, books, and software needed to change professions.  So for those who are disabled and working part time because of it, you might want ...

Overtime Because Of The Time Clock Time Zone Change?
Feb 06, 2011

It has been inconvenient, and maybe a bit confusing at times, to check my time card hours for my shift as, because of my time zone, part of my hours show up on the next day because I work 2nd shift. I wonder if I will get overtime for yesterday, even though I did not work overtime. I had to start work several hours early because of maintenance, so all hours were completed before the hour my hours start showing up on the next day. Fine. But the last couple hours of yesterday show up as today, ...

The New MQ Time Clock Time Zone Change
Jan 04, 2011

is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Like I'm going to remember 6 months from now to ask for my PTO in CST time when I am in EST time zone.  MQ is the screwiest company I have ever worked for. ...

Change From Full- Time To Part- Time.
Sep 10, 2012

I am still debating whether to enroll at Andrews or M-TEC.  My husband is retiring in 2 years and I want to be able to work part-time after that.  Is it realistic to think that I can complete the course at Andrews or M-TEC in 12 months at the most, work full time for a year and then part-time after that.  I would want to be able to work from home.  I guess the other question is "How long after graduating could I expect to earn enough to make it worth the investment, in a reas ...

Time Change
Nov 07, 2010

Does anyone know what we are supposed to do on graveyard during the time change? My CCM is on vacation, and this is my first time on graveyard during the time change.  Any info is appreciated! ...

Don't Forget Time Change!
Mar 10, 2012

Spring forward tonight/wee early hours tomorrow! ...

Trying To Change Jobs For The First Time... Need Advice!
Jan 19, 2011

I am in the process of trying to find a new job. I have been working at my current job for 4 months. This was my first job, so I am a little nervous when it comes to giving notice. I am worried that they might try to keep me because, as far as I can tell, they will have a significant overflow on my accounts if I do leave. I really like my job and accounts, but I do not have anywhere near enough work, and the schedule is not working for me anymore. I am worried about what they will do if I try to ...

Did They Change The Way To Request Leave On The Time Sheet
May 06, 2012

Cant figure out how to get the leave req in...Gonna be one of those days again ...

You Do Know It Kicks Me Offline Every Time You Change My Pool Midstream?
Mar 11, 2015

...and just not care that whole documents get lost mid transmission. I mean you DO understand the consequences, right, Nuance? ...

Jumping Professions
Jan 06, 2010

I am medical transcriptionist contemplating jumping over to coding, is this an easy transition?  Has anybody else done this?  Any information/stories would be helpful as I contemplate this decision. TIA!! ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Anything Better Than At-home Professions Out There?
May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done? Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't? ...

Need Advice On AT-HOME PROFESSIONS
Dec 23, 2009

Hello all. I am totally new to this board and to the medical transcripting field. I recently started taking a correspondence course to become a MT, not really knowing what I was doing or who was credible, etc. Now I am wondering if I should have chosen a different course/school. Does anyone have any knowledge of the AT-Home Professions School? Any knowledge or advice you would have to pass on to a novice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much! ...

At-Home Professions Program
Oct 28, 2014

Hey guys, Has anyone heard of the At-Home Professions Program? Are they a good program, waste of time, or a complete scam? I am interested in this profession, but don't want to waste my time on the wrong program. Any good or bad advice is helpful. Thanks. ...

Hospital Professions Network
Jun 12, 2015

Has anyone used Hospital Professions Network for job searching?  I just stumbled across it, and have never heard of it before.  Thanks in advance for any info!  :) ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Fort Collins At-home Professions
Feb 03, 2010

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me on an assignment having some difficulties and would greatly appreciate it! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

At-Home Professions - Thoughts And/or Suggestions!
Sep 05, 2012

I am interested in starting courses in MT but want to make the right choice in where to take courses. I sat in on a seminar for a company called At-HomeProfessions. They are accredited and have an A+ rating through the better business bureau. The company is based out of Fort Collins, CO. www.at-homeprofessions.com. Has anyone taken courses through them?? Any suggestions on where to take courses if this isn't the best company to go through? Please let me know thoughts and/or suggestions! ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Reputation Of "At Home Professions"
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have any information about a company called "At Home Professions"?  i attended a seminar presented by that company to learn more about medical transcription as a profession.  I was impressed by the information and the materials but want to hear from someone who has taken their course.  Is the company credible? Thanks! ...

Trying To Find Part-time Or Full-time Employee Position (hospital/clinic)
Apr 30, 2013

If anyone knows of a hospital, clinic, or large practice offering remote full-time or part-time employee positions, I would really appreciate an email.  I have the sudden need to help support a family member long term (in addition to myself) and really need to find a long-term remote employee position for the stability.  Yes, I watch all the various employment sites and even individual hospital sites, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe someone who works for a hospital that does th ...

How Many Lines Is Considered Full Time And Part Time At Your MTSO?
May 06, 2010

I am wondering what the average for part time and full time status is either if it is done by line count or hours. Thanks so much! ...

FULL-TIME DOWNGRADE TO PART-TIME STATUS - Question
Dec 08, 2011

Has anyone working for an MTSO been downgraded from full-time status to part-time status based on not enough hours worked to be considered full time, yet making well above the minimum amount of earnings required for full-time status? ...

Does Precyse Hire Any Part-time Or Only Full-time?
Nov 03, 2010

nm ...

Anybody Else's Actual Time Worked Not Match Clocked Time?
Jun 13, 2011

Ever since they have changed Schedule Source and now it has a display called today's activity with "actuals" hours, this has not matched the hours shown with the time clock punches and is less than the hours according to the clock punch. The difference adds up to a significant amount over time. I am really suspicious about being jypped paywise. ...

MQ Rehire Policy For Part Time To Full Time
Apr 09, 2011

I worked for MQ full time and then went to part time last year, before finally quitting altogether because of health problems. I seem to remember an obscure policy that if you were full time and then went to part time, you could not go back to full time for a period of at least 1 year.  Can anyone verify that for me? IF, and this is a big IF, I were to go back to work for MQ, I would need to be full time. ...

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...