A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Jumping professions - sm

Posted: Jan 06, 2010

I am medical transcriptionist contemplating jumping over to coding, is this an easy transition?  Has anybody else done this?  Any information/stories would be helpful as I contemplate this decision. TIA!!

jumping - keep in mind

[ In Reply To ..]
Keep in mind that everyone is doing this now, and that this is also being offshored.

I am curious - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
I actually do not know of any place that is sending coding off shore. Can you possibly name any of these entities or tell me where you found that information?

jumping - J

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an MT and transitioned into coding. I wouldn̢۪t say it is an easy transition because coding is very different from transcription. I would say though that knowing the medical terminology does give you a leg up. As a transcriptionist, as you are transcribing all those op notes and H&Ps, you have an idea of where they are in the body, what they are doing, how to spell the terms, and if they say something that is totally medically out of whack. In coding, the knowledge you need is different, more intense knowledge of A&P, pathophysiology, pharmacology. But, at least you won̢۪t be starting from scratch and be totally in the dark with the terminology. When you take a course, you learn the basics, but large part of the learning happens when you begin the real work. I can tell you that I understand why employers want people with 2-3 years' experience. There is a lot to work through and keep up with and that really doesn̢۪t begin until you begin!

Jumping - Ellie

[ In Reply To ..]
I had been an MT for over 8 years until I lost my job 4 months ago. After a discouraging 4 months, I have signed up to take the AHIMA coding program. I am nervously excited about it, particularly about how different it will be from transcription and how difficult it may be to find a job with no experience. Thanks for all of your info, J; it is nice to hear from someone who has been through this. May I ask how difficult it was for you to find employment with no coding experience?

Luck - j

[ In Reply To ..]
I expressed an interest and I was lucky enough to be able to help out on missing dx coding when I was still working as an MT at the same hospital. I was also studying coding and was able to get my CCS and CPC-H. Then picked up more and finally just transitioned over when Tx work load was dramatically cut due to VR.
Thanks - Ellie
[ In Reply To ..]
That is how I hear a lot of people get into coding...by doing it here and there and finally making the final leap. Glad to hear it worked out for you. I am hoping to take and pass the CPC exam when I am done with my coding education.

Switching to Coding - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to think that nurses made the best Medical Coders. They don't often make the best Medical Transcriptionists because people don't need excellent spelling and proofreading skills to get into hands-on patient care. Those who have those skills + nursing do really great. Now I've found that Medical Transcriptionists make excellent Medical Coders. That's because we know what information is included in a medical report and where to find it.

In order to be marketable, a brand new Medical Coding graduate is going to have to be certified. A CCA doesn't really do it though. You need to go for a CCS (AHIMA) or CPC (AAPC). I have a school which teaches both MT and Coding. We've found that our graduates tend to do well when they go for Coding certification right after graduating. The level of education you get in coding determines whether you'll be able to do that, but it's important. Employers tell me, "We aren't a school. we don't want new graduates." I ask, "What if they are certified?" "Then we'd have to take a look at them, because we need Coders."

So the answer is, it isn't particularly easy and it does take time if you are going to do it well, but it would be easier for MTs and nurses than for most.

with all due respect.... - cj

[ In Reply To ..]
I think there is some very misleading information here. It is not recommended, even by AHIMA, that one pursue CCS without a couple of years of coding experience. You only have to look at the statistics for pass/fail rate for the test to understand why. Yes, a few people will pass right out of school, but the majority will not. The pass rate averages usually only about 60% (the exact figures can be found on the AHIMA web site) and that figure includes experienced coders. The CCA was designed specifically for that reason and will be recognized in the hiring process. To say otherwise is really misleading prospective new coders. If your school has a very high pass rate for CCS, I would say you must be doing an excellent job but would ask that you provide statistics of such before making that promise. do you know what percentage of your graduates pass the exam without coding experience?

Certification After Graduation - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
Those are good points. I confess that I've never looked at the pass/fail rate published by AHIMA. That's very interesting. I always knew it was a difficult test, but that's amazing!

As far as our own graduates and their pass/fail rate, I only know what they report to me. Is it possible that someone took it and failed? Sure. That could easily happen. We're a very small school, so I pretty much know who is sitting for the exam most of the time though and I'm always waiting to see how they did. I can't promise that all of our graduates would be able to pass that test, because I know that wouldn't be true. I'm very pleased when they do. Not everyone wants to try it. As we grow bigger, our pass/fail rate may change. I hope not, but I think it would have to.

Thanks for the information on the pass/fail rate. I spend quite a bit of time on the AHIMA web site, but I didn't know that was published there.
How many? - Gretchen
[ In Reply To ..]
Since you are a very small school, surely you must know exactly how many graduates you have had to date. How many?

Of those graduates, you mention some of them may have taken the exams or not. Of those graduates who have notified you that they took the exams, how many took the exams, which exams, and how many actually passed?

percentage - Jm
[ In Reply To ..]
That would be a great selling point for your school if you did have statistics of how many went on and passed those exams. They are very tough exams! In the coder forums (AHIMA, AAPC) there are always prospective students asking questions about where to get a "GOOD" coding education.

Similar Messages:

With Everybody Jumping Ship From These Companies--
Mar 07, 2014

and everybody sending resumes to the few remaining companies that are left, this is going to cause a big glut of hungry MTs looking for jobs, so guess what?  The MTSOs are going to start lowering their line rates, upping their requirements for equipment, internet, etc., and the MTs are going to be the ones losing even more in the end.  Then with shipping the remaining work to India and the EHR, it is DEFINITELY time to get out of MT!  The ones who can't see this and are hangi ...

Offered A Job Away From Synernet, But Not Sure If I Am Jumping Out Of The Pan Sm
Aug 25, 2014

into the fire. From what I read here on the boards, most of the companies have something awful about them (or multiple things), so even though this company sounds a lot better (and it is also in Maine), I am at the same time excited as well as scared. When I hired on to Synernet I was ecstatic. The pay was low, but the benefits were great and it sounded like the people cared, plus "no VR in sight." Fast forward ....... VR, bad communication, soul-sucking notes from QA and management, paychec ...

Employees Jumping Ship?
Dec 03, 2014

After the new compensation plan was "explained" today, I wonder how many employees jumped ship.  No one should have to work under those conditions. Smh  ...

Considering Jumping Nuance Ship
Jan 22, 2015

Are there any good IC positions that use Editscript?  I have 5 years experience on this platform.  I have a ton of heme onc experience as well.  I can get on my BF's insurance, so I don't see why I shouldn't go to contracting and be done with this pay system...   ...

Jumping Off The MTSO Merry Go Round (sm)
May 11, 2010

A couple of months back I posted my opinion about how things started going south for MTs when we no longer worked directly for the hospitals.  I decided to put my paycheck where my mouth is and started looking.  Lo and behold, practically in my own backyard I found a large hospital group who had been outsourcing everything, but then took it back in house because of poor quality and TAT.  My new job starts in a few weeks.  Great benefits, more leave time than I curre ...

Jumping To Yellow Voice Box On DocQscribe
May 25, 2011

I haven't edited on DQS in a while. I can't seem to find the answer to this in the manual. If the cursor is at the beginning of a paragraph and the yellow voice box is in the middle and that is where I want the cursor to be how do I "jump" to that point in the text? Thanks! ...

I Really Hate The Jumping Ballerina Graduate Over There
Jun 09, 2011

lol ...

CP Hoop Jumping - I Should Have Been A Circus Performer...nm
Mar 31, 2015

cc ...

Changing Professions
Feb 28, 2010

This message is to everyone who posts on this board, especially those who are advising/telling others to get out of the medical transcription field.  It seems that things have changed overnight with voice recognition and electronic charting but it is still very new and probably too soon to tell for sure how it will impact us.  Many of you are imagining the worst and every directive from a company or news item that appears is taken out of context and blown out of proportion by certain p ...

Anything Better Than At-home Professions Out There?
May 30, 2010

If at-home is really that bad, then is there a better school where I stand a better chance of getting hired after I'm done? Is there some kind of course I could take to get certified so as to fill in the blanks? to teach what at-home isn't? ...

Need Advice On AT-HOME PROFESSIONS
Dec 23, 2009

Hello all. I am totally new to this board and to the medical transcripting field. I recently started taking a correspondence course to become a MT, not really knowing what I was doing or who was credible, etc. Now I am wondering if I should have chosen a different course/school. Does anyone have any knowledge of the AT-Home Professions School? Any knowledge or advice you would have to pass on to a novice would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much! ...

Change Professions Everyone - It's Time - Here's How I Did It
May 31, 2013

I started medical transcription 16 years ago - all excited and thrilled to be able to work at home.  I made $20 to $25 an hour.  It allowed me to stay home with my children and still have a good income.  16 years ago, the starting rate per line was - .06 per line.  Which is now STILL the starting rate for many companies.  A few lucky old souls out there may get .09 or even .10 a line.  However, when I started, all we did was straight typing.  No pasting notes, ...

For Those On Disability Who Need To Change Professions (sm)
Jan 02, 2014

After I became disabled I went to the state Department of Rehabilitation and was amazed how much help they offer people who need to train for new careers.  The one I went do did complete testing to identify work limitations, gave tests for aptitude and desire for certain types of work, gave career counseling and even offered to pay for training programs, books, and software needed to change professions.  So for those who are disabled and working part time because of it, you might want ...

At-Home Professions Program
Oct 28, 2014

Hey guys, Has anyone heard of the At-Home Professions Program? Are they a good program, waste of time, or a complete scam? I am interested in this profession, but don't want to waste my time on the wrong program. Any good or bad advice is helpful. Thanks. ...

Hospital Professions Network
Jun 12, 2015

Has anyone used Hospital Professions Network for job searching?  I just stumbled across it, and have never heard of it before.  Thanks in advance for any info!  :) ...

At-Home Professions Is An Accredited School
Nov 10, 2009

I am a graduate of At-Home Professions, I graduated in 2006.  It is an accredited school.  After completion of the program which actually took about one year, because I was working full time and completing the online course at the same time.  I was impressed with the courses and the help/assistance I received upon completion of the course.  When I completed the course I applied at a local MT company and was picked up to work in-house for one year and then home to work.  I have been employed ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Fort Collins At-home Professions
Feb 03, 2010

Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me on an assignment having some difficulties and would greatly appreciate it! ...

At-home Professions, Working, Unions And Everything Else.
May 28, 2010

hey all, I am half way done with at-home professions. (I am starting the 4th part real soon) And now I am having real serious doubts as to whether I am going in the right direction. I am not really worried about how I will handle the problems of working at home. (loneliness wont bother me, I have a pet lizard to keep me company.)  Is there anyone here who has done the at-home professions course and hooked a job?  Is there some kind of union or association for MT's? I know at ho ...

At-Home Professions - Thoughts And/or Suggestions!
Sep 05, 2012

I am interested in starting courses in MT but want to make the right choice in where to take courses. I sat in on a seminar for a company called At-HomeProfessions. They are accredited and have an A+ rating through the better business bureau. The company is based out of Fort Collins, CO. www.at-homeprofessions.com. Has anyone taken courses through them?? Any suggestions on where to take courses if this isn't the best company to go through? Please let me know thoughts and/or suggestions! ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

Reputation Of "At Home Professions"
Nov 10, 2009

Does anyone have any information about a company called "At Home Professions"?  i attended a seminar presented by that company to learn more about medical transcription as a profession.  I was impressed by the information and the materials but want to hear from someone who has taken their course.  Is the company credible? Thanks! ...

MT Home Course From At Home Professions?
Jan 27, 2010

Any info on the MT home course from At Home Professions?  ...