A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Question before I bring this to TSM attention - sm

Posted: Jan 08, 2014

This is my first time posting, but I hope you can be of help.

Is the glucose in the CMP ever expressed as a decimal?  I have always thought it a whole number.  I left a blank after the glucose value where there  was a definite audio blip ending in "point 1."   I assumed this was the calcium value and doc cut the beginning off.  The account auto sends all blanks regardless of reason to QA. 

well - Old School

[ In Reply To ..]
No I don't think glucose is ever expressed as a decimel; yes, it probably was the calcium level or something else and what choice did you have but to leave a blank? However, why do you want to bring this up with your TSM? Also, if you're on fluency, remember to do Ctrl ; if you hear a skip. That turns off the accelerate silence playback and you can sometimes hear what you missed that way.

I want to bring it up because QA filled it in. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They took the blank out, combining the glucose value and the partial dictated decimal value, making the glucose a decimal.

I don't want such an error on my report as this is a picky hospital.

You are never held responsible for what your QA person does - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I do understand you wanting to be correct and that's commendable but just rest assured that it will be very clear on an audit what was your work, and what was the QA person's work.

The TSM is not the person to speak to about that anyway - MME

[ In Reply To ..]
Anything quality or "content" related needs to be discussed with your QC, not TSM. The TSM's main responsibility is for work flow and staffing issues.

I'm not the OP but thank you for the tip - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You taught an old(ish) dog a new trick today - thank you!

Regarding Ctrl ; - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
How do you reverse that then when you are done?

It automatically goes back - Trampled underfoot

[ In Reply To ..]
It might toggle off/on with control ; but it does go back automatically with the next report. I have found it to be useful several times where there seems to be a blip in the dictation. I toggle it off and then I can hear the dictation.
Thanks for this info! - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

Way to tell if it's off or on - JustMe

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to make sure if it's turned off or on, you can check this by clicking on Tools at the top of the screen when you're in an ASR report and then click on Options and Audio. You will see the "accelerate" feature either check marked or not. Hope this helps. I'm amazed at how many words you can miss sometimes if you have that checked!
actually it turns red or green - Old School
[ In Reply To ..]
it'll be green if it's on, red if it's off (at the top of your page, where your speed is). And yes, you can toggle it on and off using Ctrl ;. I would turn it back on as soon as you're done listening to your little blip because it really does move through the spots where the dictator is not speaking, quickly and seamlessly. You don't even notice it.

I actually used this tip today and it worked perfectly! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much, I wish I had known about this sooner! I always try to keep an eye out for key combination shortcuts but I never knew about this one until now. Thanks again! :)

Agree...sm - poorhouse

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been a diabetic for 17 years now and MTing for over 14 and I've never seen a glucose reported as anything other than a whole number. I agree with what you said, doc cut himself off and started over in the middle of another lab value. I'd definitely blank that, IMO.

I would send the job number to the QAM and state - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
State that there was a audio cut out and glucose lab values are hole numbers, the fact calcium is expressed to decimal point. Make sure you mention that this affects patient care.

You may get a stupid note back that QA filled in what they heard, but just ignore that. You may get a generic thank you for bringing that to their attention.
I have never had any repercussions from reporting something I believe affected patient care.

Glucose itself has no decimal - but...

[ In Reply To ..]
...the hemboglobin A1c (the determining factor for diabetes) is expressed in decimals, and I wonder if the A1c was just lazily dictated as glucose.

Just a thought.

But.. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The value of the lab itself will make it obvious whether it is A1c or glucose. If the patient had a glucose at A1c level, they would be dead and vice versa.

Similar Messages:

Everytime I Bring Consistent ASR Errors To The Attention Of Those Who
Nov 22, 2012

they blame it on the transcriptionists. I get told that this must be the way the transcriptions are editing the output. Are there really that may bad/horrible transcriptionists in the company??? I don't believe there are that many poor transcriptions..... unless they are using ILP's to train the ASR. Maybe that is the question I should be asking: Is the output so poor because you (the software techs) including ILP editing?? ...

Found This Very Interesting But How Can We Bring Attention To Our Industry?
Dec 22, 2013

I've included a link about a bill that proposes stricter definition/penalties for misclassifying employees/ICs.   We all know this is rampant in this industry; who would you contact about this?   http://www.pepperlaw.com/publications_update.aspx?ArticleKey=2792 ...

Payday--bring On The Tears
Feb 11, 2011

I really had hopes this payday after really pouring it on every shift, adding to expansions every shift, using all the "handy hints" they gave us.  Still not cutting it.  Please God answer my prayers and get me out of this stress factory.  And God, if it's not time to get out of here, please, oh please get MQ to do the right thing and "fix" ASR.  Don't make us keep changing dangerous abbreviations.  Don't make us keep fixing "headings" that were not dic ...

Can You Bring And Use Your Own Keyboard For CMT Test?
Apr 04, 2011

I have been typing on a kinesis freestyle keyboard for so long that I can't even type on a regular straight keyboard AT ALL.  Does anyone who has taken this test know if you are allowed to use your own keyboard during the test?  Thanks in Advance! ...

Think They'll Ever Bring Back The Fuzzy
Jun 04, 2013

I really liked it. ...

Bring Back The Money
Oct 05, 2013

Link to an article about companies stashing money overseas, like my job. ...

Bring It Back Up= Conflict Of Interest
Aug 29, 2010

Why not just read your contract and find out for yourself instead of relying on the opinions of other people? In the end, neither company will care what someone told you; they will only care about a contract YOU  signed. The company I worked for had specifically stated in their contract that we could not work for any company that is in competition with them (any other MTSO) so in this case I would be in violation of that contract. We could work for a hospital, a clinic, a physician, etc, di ...

F5 Not Working. Will Not Bring Up Client Profile..
Oct 31, 2010

Anyone else having this problem? ...

Attention All Primadonna MTS
Feb 09, 2011

I am really amazed at the mentality of people on this board regarding testing.  "Geez my personal identity will be stolen etc., yet you are MTs and most of you use cell phones, etc, but have no worries about sending or receiving text messages and having your identity stolen, but you are PARANOID about taking a test  -- ie personal information being given.  Well yes, my computer was "hacked" but I do not believe it was from MTTEST.  If you go into the private sector ...

Attention Moderator?
Apr 21, 2014

Please note the posts in re:  KEYS THAT PLEASE. This company *may* be legitimate but they are requesting as part of a test process files up to 32 minutes long, that I believe are *also* current files. A lot of newer MTs (and even not so new) may not realize this can be a red flag for scammers - people looking to get a backlog cleared up for 'free' under the guise of hiring for a true position. Could you consider posting a warning to all posters to be careful about t ...

Pay Attention, MTSOs!
Feb 19, 2015

Hey MTSOs, I think you need to pay attention.  According to a news release, Wal-Mart is INCREASING their minimum wage pay to $9 by April of this year and then no less than $10 by February 2016.  Pretty bad when a local grocery chain knows how to treat their employees better than you do...not bring then down like you do.  They are trying to shed their bad image.  MTSOs...I bet you dont have the grapes to do the same thing WITHOUT raising production requirements.  No grape ...

Would Anyone Mind Sharing How Much They Bring Home Weekly?
Mar 25, 2010

Not trying to be nosey, just curious. ...

If You Have Jury Duty Pay Attention
Mar 12, 2013

Make sure you enter it as jury duty and not "excused no pay."  Your CCM may tell you to enter it as the latter but in most if not all states, your employer is required to pay you.  ...

Attention UNM Manager - No Names Used.
Sep 05, 2013

Just need to let off some steam in case a UNM Manager happens to read this board.  So tired of all your perky little emails about how the team has to "pull together" on the weekends and show UNM "what this great team is made of."  FYI...this team is made of tired MTs typing their fingers to the bone, already having given up on reaching that bonus that barely exists.  Getting repeatedly warned about answering emails you send to us DEMANDING overtime responses, while ...

Attention California Employees
Apr 14, 2015

Nuance is required to pay for your 10-minute rest breaks separately and clearly display it on your pay stub.  You are owed 1 hour of pay for every day PAID breaks are not provided going back 3 years.  Their nonsense of stating breaks are figured into your line pay is illegal since when you log out to take a break, your production stops.  Contact your local labor commission.  ...

Internet News Of Bring Back Made In America
May 14, 2011

We are all now looking for products to promote USA jobs as we are all suffering greatly, and especially in this job and with the services.  Maybe those who claim they do not Offshore should have a line that says TIA--Typed In America.    ...

Attention: LK - Changing Background Color
May 10, 2011

I have a PC with Vista and a PC with Windows 7 and it is done differently than Windows XP.  Thought I would never figure it out.  Here goes.... Go to <control panel>  Click on <Ease of Access Center> Click on <Set up High Contrast> Click on <Choose a High Contrast Color Scheme> A box labeled <Appearance Settings> will come up.  There will be a drop down box with different choices.  I don't think it matters which theme you choose.&n ...

Been Paying Close Attention To My ASR Reports
Feb 07, 2012

not been ONE SINGLE LINE so far in any report that has not needed editing in some fashion.  Not ONE SINGLE LINE.  Usually multiple things in every line including stupid little words it leaves out, stupid things it adds, repetition by the doctor that it cannot discern, blatant errors of the ASR, punctuation, numbering, and on and on and on --- for 60% of my line rate?  If there are folks who have great ASR and can just breeze through with a cursory proofread, more power t ...

TTSers, QA Time, How Much Attention Are You Paying
Feb 08, 2013

to the endless QAing is done. Do you read intensely, do you learn much, is it tossed, is it sort of a maze for you to go through? Have worked a lot of years, never seen any company this intense on putting its workers through a wringer. I would say some there have the confidence of a slug with all this baloney. ...

Attention Employees... We Need Friday Hours. If You Do Not Volunteer,
Mar 19, 2010

Good thing I signed up for those Friday hours, only to get NJA.   What a bunch of Butt Face Jerks. ...

If I Hear "poor Den Attention" Or
Nov 12, 2011

"the importance of smoking sensation was reviewed" one more time, I'm going to lose my mind!  Doing a string of notes by the world's laziest, fastest dictator.  So tempted to transcribe verbatim and see what happens! ...